Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by vghetto »

Hi,
Someone asked me to try this out so I've finally got around to it.
In the Haunted Ford scenario, there is the weird wesnoth bug where the undead units that spawn submerged will remain hidden throughout the scenario, even if they go on land.
You can fix this by either removing the animate=yes on unit creation or calling [unhide_unit][/unhide_unit] after their creation.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@vghetto - thanks for making me aware. I've uploaded new version (1.5.8) on the server, where it should be fixed. Please tell me if the bug persists or if I've created any new bugs.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Inky was one of my favourite NPCs (or actor). Just the name alone is sooo cute.

Perhaps someone will create a new campaign with a whole cuttlefish FAMILY!
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

It took me more time than it should, but version 1.6 released, or in other words - Inky's Quest has now been released for the 1.16 branch!
Changes form the the last version on the 1.14 server include:
  • Nagas use the new mainline Naga Guard unit line instead of the Naga Guardian line from UtBS. They still use Naga Hunters from UtBS instead of the new mainline Naga Dirkfang line, because I consider the former more tactically interesting (as it uses poison).
  • Master Sea Head can now reveal shroud and fog over land (he can still only move through water).
  • Saurian Skirmisher line is now considered female in the mainline, so Sprasz is now refered as female in the Czech translation (no changes in the English text necessary). I also corrected some typos in the Czech translation I've found.
  • Island Guardian in "The Divining Pool" can now recruit Great Seahorses, though it can have only four at a time (both seahorses and sharsk cout as fighters and I wanted more sharks to be recruited).
  • Undead Serpent now uses the sprites for "serpent" variant of the Soulless One. It looks more of a crocodile than serpent, but still better than a recolor of an old sprite.
As always I'm grateful for your feedback. Have fun!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
spawn new generation -> spawn a new generation

S2
,it -> , it

Defeat condition
'Death of Master Sea Head' doesn't make sense while he is talking to the Clam.
rest of sharks -> rest of the sharks

Maybe play dramatic music instead of just writing 'dramatic music'? xD
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Good catch. I ussually do this objective last, so he can help with fighting the enemies. I will wait until you finish your playthrough, so I can fix all the typos in one update rather than releasing a new version every week.
Maybe play dramatic music instead of just writing 'dramatic music'?
The "dramatic music" line is meant to be a reference to the movie "Jaws", where the monstrous shark is mostly off-screen and its presence is instead denoted by scary music. Do you have any suggestions which sound in mainline BfW to use here?
And speaking of sharks sounds, the reason they use wolf sounds is because I figured that they're both animals that attack by biting and I don't think that there are any other sounds that would fit better (as with the previous comment I'm open to suggestions).
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Telchin wrote: January 30th, 2022, 4:53 pm
Good catch. I ussually do this objective last, so he can help with fighting the enemies. I will wait until you finish your playthrough, so I can fix all the typos in one update rather than releasing a new version every week.
Maybe play dramatic music instead of just writing 'dramatic music'?
The "dramatic music" line is meant to be a reference to the movie "Jaws", where the monstrous shark is mostly off-screen and its presence is instead denoted by scary music. Do you have any suggestions which sound in mainline BfW to use here?
And speaking of sharks sounds, the reason they use wolf sounds is because I figured that they're both animals that attack by biting and I don't think that there are any other sounds that would fit better (as with the previous comment I'm open to suggestions).
Sharks have been referred to as the wolves of the sea before. Still I suppose the bite(-miss).ogg might work (unless that's used along with the wolf growl) in this case.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Telchin wrote: January 30th, 2022, 4:53 pm And speaking of sharks sounds, the reason they use wolf sounds is because I figured that they're both animals that attack by biting and I don't think that there are any other sounds that would fit better (as with the previous comment I'm open to suggestions).
I don't know how authentic this is, but this is the way Ian Fleming described a shark in the novel Live and Let Die:
Ian Fleming wrote:...Bond heard one terrible snuffling grunt as if a great pig was getting its mouth full. He knew it for the grunt that a shark makes as its hideous flat nose comes up out of the water and its sickle-shaped mouth closes on a floating carcass.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S3
in matter -> in a matter

merman -> merfolk

aggresive -> aggressive

Gaa -> Gaaa (sometimes 'Gaaa' is refered to as 'Gaa'.)
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Now I have a question about an issue I noticed in Konrad2's stream of "Inky Goes Fishing". The dialogue announcing the arrival of the human ship is displayed after either killing 5 merfolk or one of their leaders. If you kill 5 regular units before any of the leaders, the dialogue is between merfolk leaders 1 and 3, if you kill one of the leaders before killing 5 units, the dialogue is between the two surviving leaders. Konrad2 had the (mis)fortune to kill merman leader 1 as exactly the 5th unit and it triggered the "kill 5 merfolk" event, i. e. the killed leader was talking after already being dead. Would changing the order the two events are in the scenario file fix this bug, or do I have to put filters into the first event?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, having seen K2's streams...I decided to...finally give this campaign a go.

So, I am on Challenging difficulty and made it to scenario 3. It's humorous and rather factual. I wish somebody made campaigns where dialogue taught us science subjects like how this campaign is teaching facts on marine biology. Quite informative.

Will post replays when done.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Telchin wrote: February 1st, 2022, 4:21 pm Now I have a question about an issue I noticed in Konrad2's stream of "Inky Goes Fishing". The dialogue announcing the arrival of the human ship is displayed after either killing 5 merfolk or one of their leaders. If you kill 5 regular units before any of the leaders, the dialogue is between merfolk leaders 1 and 3, if you kill one of the leaders before killing 5 units, the dialogue is between the two surviving leaders. Konrad2 had the (mis)fortune to kill merman leader 1 as exactly the 5th unit and it triggered the "kill 5 merfolk" event, i. e. the killed leader was talking after already being dead. Would changing the order the two events are in the scenario file fix this bug, or do I have to put filters into the first event?
If I understand correctly you mean whether where the [event] tags are placed? No that won't matter at all. One trick that may help is that you can place events into units. Those events only load when the unit appears on map. Might help? But generally filters are you "friends". Yeah, they're always tricky to deal with but they are powerful.

HTH
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S4
been revenge -> been the revenge
land land -> land
for destruction -> for the destruction
mermen -> merfolk (multiple times)
form the mainland -> from the mainland

When a unit is killed by a walking corpse, there won't be a new walking corpse, only a Wight.

Wight
punished by punishment -> punished by something
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

When a unit is killed by a walking corpse, there won't be a new walking corpse, only a Wight.
This is by design so that 1) the undead don't get two units for one kill (I placed a similiar failsafe in "The Divining Pool") 2) all WCs in the scenario are those that spawned from the starting undead, to make sure that the "Well, I guess you have stopped me..." line works.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S4
Maybe add a note about the wc behavior?

S6
When attacking the Saurian Flanker, they talk about the spell working before the attack even starts. Maybe fire it after the attack is over?

Flamy needs a silver crown for this scenario.

Description of the Saurian Blind Seer
as result of this -> as a result of this

S7
Please add a hint about where the passage will appear. Someone could easily get done in by having Master Sea Head at the wrong place when the passage opens. (Like, I need 7 turns to get him there. What I had less than 7 turns left?)