Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Elvish Nightprowler
17
15%
Elvish Overlord
7
6%
Elvish Seer
16
14%
Elvish Warlord
5
4%
Exterminator
13
11%
Forester
3
3%
Goblin Ravager
0
No votes
Goblin Warbanner
0
No votes
Grim Knight
0
No votes
Faerie Incarnation
16
14%
Infernal Knight
5
4%
Lich King
6
5%
Lunatic Knight
10
9%
Monstrosity
0
No votes
Orcish Nightblade
0
No votes
Orcish Strafer
4
3%
Pilum Master
4
3%
Orcish Warmonger
3
3%
Phantom
3
3%
Predator
3
3%
 
Total votes: 115

Crixomix
Posts: 18
Joined: April 7th, 2020, 3:39 am

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Crixomix »

dabber wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm
What system are you using? I don't have either of those problems on Windows using GitHub code.
I'm on windows 10. Installed BfW via Steam, and downloaded the mod via the "addons" menu within the game. Should I be doing something different?

Crixomix
Posts: 18
Joined: April 7th, 2020, 3:39 am

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Crixomix »

I have wondered if it has to do with some of the XP mods I have had, but I tried uninstalling those, and starting a new campaign, and on the 1st (real) level, I still could get items from inventory after the 2nd turn outside the castle.

User avatar
DukeSwampy
Posts: 133
Joined: June 26th, 2019, 2:20 pm
Location: Indonesia

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by DukeSwampy »

Crixomix wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm
dabber wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm
What system are you using? I don't have either of those problems on Windows using GitHub code.
I'm on windows 10. Installed BfW via Steam, and downloaded the mod via the "addons" menu within the game. Should I be doing something different?
Crixomix wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I have wondered if it has to do with some of the XP mods I have had, but I tried uninstalling those, and starting a new campaign, and on the 1st (real) level, I still could get items from inventory after the 2nd turn outside the castle.
:hmm: Others have same problem before because installing wesnoth via steam...
ManEatingFish wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 4:51 am
There is a bug when trying to start the scenario for the Bitter Swamps.
Something along the lines of the canvas is too short.
I'm running wesnoth off of the Steam shop.

Sorry, I forgot to get a screenshot. Also, sorry again if this is a repeat post.

Other than that I really have been enjoying this add-on.
At first, I was pretty apprehensive about the item system and everything, but after getting the hang of it I have come to really enjoy the game.
Power creep is a thing, but I can just challenge myself. Basically, I can send my leaders out alone and just wreak havoc. Beezlebu(g) has been squashed a few times.

Now that I cannot progress with the story, I'll probably set the game down for a little while and then revisit it and start this campaign over.

Thank you for all your time and effort that you put into this game!
If you wanna your problem solved, I recommend you download and install wesnoth from Sourceforge, like this solved comment.
ManEatingFish wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:32 am
Well an interesting thing happened.
I uninstalled the steam game and installed the version from the forge and I can play the bitter swamps now.
I tried reinstalling the steam version to see if that would get the error to pop up again but it won't.

I'll try some other things and if I can get it to pop-up I'll snip it for sure.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)

Crixomix
Posts: 18
Joined: April 7th, 2020, 3:39 am

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Crixomix »

DukeSwampy wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 6:14 am
Crixomix wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm
dabber wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm
What system are you using? I don't have either of those problems on Windows using GitHub code.
I'm on windows 10. Installed BfW via Steam, and downloaded the mod via the "addons" menu within the game. Should I be doing something different?
Crixomix wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 7:00 pm
I have wondered if it has to do with some of the XP mods I have had, but I tried uninstalling those, and starting a new campaign, and on the 1st (real) level, I still could get items from inventory after the 2nd turn outside the castle.
:hmm: Others have same problem before because installing wesnoth via steam...
ManEatingFish wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 4:51 am
There is a bug when trying to start the scenario for the Bitter Swamps.
Something along the lines of the canvas is too short.
I'm running wesnoth off of the Steam shop.

Sorry, I forgot to get a screenshot. Also, sorry again if this is a repeat post.

Other than that I really have been enjoying this add-on.
At first, I was pretty apprehensive about the item system and everything, but after getting the hang of it I have come to really enjoy the game.
Power creep is a thing, but I can just challenge myself. Basically, I can send my leaders out alone and just wreak havoc. Beezlebu(g) has been squashed a few times.

Now that I cannot progress with the story, I'll probably set the game down for a little while and then revisit it and start this campaign over.

Thank you for all your time and effort that you put into this game!
If you wanna your problem solved, I recommend you download and install wesnoth from Sourceforge, like this solved comment.
ManEatingFish wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:32 am
Well an interesting thing happened.
I uninstalled the steam game and installed the version from the forge and I can play the bitter swamps now.
I tried reinstalling the steam version to see if that would get the error to pop up again but it won't.

I'll try some other things and if I can get it to pop-up I'll snip it for sure.
That's a great suggestion! I'll try it. Am I going to have to restart my campaign though? Or can I copy over the same savedgame?

EDIT: Didn't work. Installed via sourceforge, fired up my game, loaded a save, can still equip items from storage. Also tried firing up a new campaign and it didn't work there either. I even tried uninstalling the steam version. Didn't seem to do anything.

EDIT2: Encountering another bug. I'm at the point where ephraim has become a preserved lich, and I took the "soul eater" advancement called heal, but it doesn't do anything? Even when leaving him next to units that are damaged, they don't get healed. I can upload save if it would help.

User avatar
DukeSwampy
Posts: 133
Joined: June 26th, 2019, 2:20 pm
Location: Indonesia

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by DukeSwampy »

Crixomix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm
EDIT: Didn't work. Installed via sourceforge, fired up my game, loaded a save, can still equip items from storage. Also tried firing up a new campaign and it didn't work there either. I even tried uninstalling the steam version. Didn't seem to do anything.
Well, I can't give any way to solve your problem. But have you heard what Dugi's answer?
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:21 am
Is it intentional that I can't drop eqiupped items on the ground?
You can. It's just positioned in that small down arrow next to the unequip button.
PS. I have tried this campaign on wesnoth 1.14 since late 2018. But I decided to leave this campaign on 1.14, move on to playing in version 1.12 again (for the fourth times).
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)

Crixomix
Posts: 18
Joined: April 7th, 2020, 3:39 am

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Crixomix »

DukeSwampy wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Crixomix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm
EDIT: Didn't work. Installed via sourceforge, fired up my game, loaded a save, can still equip items from storage. Also tried firing up a new campaign and it didn't work there either. I even tried uninstalling the steam version. Didn't seem to do anything.
Well, I can't give any way to solve your problem. But have your heard what Dugi's answer?
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:21 am
Is it intentional that I can't drop eqiupped items on the ground?
You can. It's just positioned in that small down arrow next to the unequip button.
PS. I have tried this campaign on wesnoth 1.14 since late 2018. But I decided to leave this campaign on 1.14, move on to playing in version 1.12 again (for fourth times).
What do you mean? Dugi hasn't answered my question as far as I can tell, I looked back quite a few pages and saw someone else reporting the same issue months ago and then Dugi responded to that saying it was fixed.

Also, your quote is helpful but unfortunately isn't related to my issue. My issue it that the game lets me equip items from storage onto units on any turn anywhere.

Finally, 1.14 vs. 1.12? I don't really understand the difference. I'm a new wesnoth player so I have no idea why you would stop playing 1.14 and go back to 1.12 when it's an older version. Could you explain it to me?

Thanks,

EDIT: Yet another attempt. I literally deleted everything. Installed the sourceforge version of wesnoth, tried installing only the addon for LotI (beta), and on the second level after the tutorial level, I can still equip from storage on turn 3 outside a castle :/

dwarftough
Posts: 41
Joined: August 4th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dwarftough »

Hi everyone, hi Dugi. Recently I've started to play LotI once again, the newest version and on Hard difficulty. Two problems with LotI1, and a bit about Gladiators.

First, for some reason in LotI1 you can equip any item everywhere on every turn, 2 turns restriction doesn't work (and in LotI2 and Gladiators it works).

Second, in Akula's dungeon you can get a Steel Army spearman, I advanced him to Steel Scourge. It lacks AMLAs so I gave him a book of magic swordsplay. But it doesn't work! Books don't work with units without non standard AMLAs, when I gain a new level for that steel scourge, he just automatically chose the default AMLA (+3HP +20% max XP) without showing AMLAs from the book! Unfair!

Also about Gladiators. Is that scenario endless? Also there was some quirck with crafting, we got out-of-sync errors with a player crafted an item and immediately put it on, nobody saw that. But if the player crafted an item, placed it into an item storage, then got it from the storage and equip, in that case all worked fine. It's strange!

P.S. Also I like that Deathblade Inheritance became a dropable axe, not a craftable item. You can pick it for Lethalia or another deathblade and create your undead legions xD

dabber
Posts: 384
Joined: April 2nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dabber »

Crixomix,
Soul Eater (and later Redeem) do not grant abilities themselves. They give you new options for advancements when you level normally.

User avatar
DukeSwampy
Posts: 133
Joined: June 26th, 2019, 2:20 pm
Location: Indonesia

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by DukeSwampy »

Crixomix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:56 pm
Finally, 1.14 vs. 1.12? I don't really understand the difference. I'm a new wesnoth player so I have no idea why you would stop playing 1.14 and go back to 1.12 when it's an older version. Could you explain it to me?
Okay, my answer's:
1) addon servers for Wesnoth 1.12 and Wesnoth 1.14 are different, so if you are using Wesnoth 1.12, then Addon Manager will always install outdated (very old) version of the addon. Obviously it has unfixed bugs, and they will never be fixed for 1.12.
2) newest version of LoTI no longer supports 1.12. It requires 1.14.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)

shevegen
Posts: 282
Joined: June 3rd, 2004, 4:35 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by shevegen »

I like the Elvish Nightprowler; first, even without gear, it is a decent unit, but more importantly with gear it is great. I tend to use the hit-and-run bow a lot.

Overall though, from the basic unit types, I think Elvish Seer is best due to the faerie fire. I always try to add more attacks to that.

Lunatic Knight I am quite disappointed though. Whenever I had him he felt useless compared to the others.

Flying is also probably almost too good in general.

Elvish Warlord is quite useless due to the level-discrepancy, but I like the warlord-to-dragon transition of the loyal unit. The dragon is best. It's like the thing that even killed other dragons in a single battle, with the right equipment.

Phantom I am disappointed because due to the low health, it becomes too weak lateron quickly. I more prefer wraith due to healing... but even they are a bit too weak.

Elvish overlord is also good, not sure why people rate it so low.

dabber
Posts: 384
Joined: April 2nd, 2014, 6:41 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dabber »

I mostly play part 2, not part 1. I tend to play with a small army of 6-9 troops (plus the main characters) and the troops often feel superfluous. I like finding interesting things to do with the troops, but Efraim and Lethalia alone can kill almost everything.
Additionally, I have long contended that the true power of a unit is what it does on defense, not attack. The enemy turn is the best time to kill them.
I decided I should examine these feelings statistically by tracking when enemies die, and by who, so I added this code.
Spoiler:
Edit: Turns out there is a bug in the above code. Redeem kills count as "army".


Additionally, I decided to make a more powerful army and committ to using it more. I went so far as to hack in a bunch of Highlander traits.
I still find more than 8-10 troops unwieldly even using Hit-and-Run, Push and Penetrate.

I just finished Chapter 7 and these are the numbers from that chapter.

Code: Select all

Label                  Data    Percent
ArmyAttackCount         928     42%
ArmyAttackLevels       3450     44%
ArmyDefenseCount        614     28%
ArmyDefenseLevels      1753     23%
EfraimAttackCount       103     5%
EfraimAttackLevels      410     5%
EfraimDefenseCount      252     11%
EfraimDefenseLevels     857     11%
LethaliaAttackCount     108     5%
LethaliaAttackLevels    554     7%
LethaliaDefenseCount    223     10%
LethaliaDefenseLevels   750     10%

TotalAttackCount        1139
TotalDefenseCount       1089

TotalAttackLevels       4414
TotalDefenseLevels      3360
The army succeeded to pulling their weight - a clear majority of enemies were killed by the army (68 percent). The army did a slim majority of their kills on attack, not defense. Clearly more enemy levels were eliminated by the army on attack compared to defense.
Efraim and Lethalia, however, did most of their damage on defense. Efraim especially did more than double the kills and levels on defense.
Lethalia's attack levels may be skewed by Beelzebub - I know she finished him once and maybe twice.

In chapter 8, I think the numbers won't have much meaning. Even adding in cases for the kids, there are scenarios without the army and the army changes. Particularly in Vritra's scenarios, the army is super weak.
Last edited by dabber on April 21st, 2020, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lhaire
Posts: 26
Joined: April 21st, 2014, 8:29 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by lhaire »

Crixomix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:56 pm
DukeSwampy wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:49 pm
Crixomix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm
EDIT: Didn't work. Installed via sourceforge, fired up my game, loaded a save, can still equip items from storage. Also tried firing up a new campaign and it didn't work there either. I even tried uninstalling the steam version. Didn't seem to do anything.
Well, I can't give any way to solve your problem. But have your heard what Dugi's answer?
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:21 am
Is it intentional that I can't drop eqiupped items on the ground?
You can. It's just positioned in that small down arrow next to the unequip button.
PS. I have tried this campaign on wesnoth 1.14 since late 2018. But I decided to leave this campaign on 1.14, move on to playing in version 1.12 again (for fourth times).
What do you mean? Dugi hasn't answered my question as far as I can tell, I looked back quite a few pages and saw someone else reporting the same issue months ago and then Dugi responded to that saying it was fixed.

Also, your quote is helpful but unfortunately isn't related to my issue. My issue it that the game lets me equip items from storage onto units on any turn anywhere.

Finally, 1.14 vs. 1.12? I don't really understand the difference. I'm a new wesnoth player so I have no idea why you would stop playing 1.14 and go back to 1.12 when it's an older version. Could you explain it to me?

Thanks,

EDIT: Yet another attempt. I literally deleted everything. Installed the sourceforge version of wesnoth, tried installing only the addon for LotI (beta), and on the second level after the tutorial level, I can still equip from storage on turn 3 outside a castle :/
I have been having the same issue wrt dropping items to the ground and posted this question a couple of weeks ago.. As far as I can tell, you can only do this on the first 2 turns of a scenario. After turn 2, there is no "Drop to the ground" option available for any equipped items. Note that in prior versions (e.g. 1.12) you had the ability to drop items to the ground on any turn. This was extremely useful in case you wanted to temporarily drop an item for a particular turn and then pick it up again. This allowed for the possibility to even share items between characters (assuming they had the ability to move after an attack). For me, this is a huge drawback from going from 1.12 to 1.14.

Konrad2
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2473
Joined: November 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Konrad2 »

lhaire wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm
Dugi wrote:
You can. It's just positioned in that small down arrow next to the unequip button.

I have been having the same issue wrt dropping items to the ground and posted this question a couple of weeks ago.. As far as I can tell, you can only do this on the first 2 turns of a scenario. After turn 2, there is no "Drop to the ground" option available for any equipped items. Note that in prior versions (e.g. 1.12) you had the ability to drop items to the ground on any turn. This was extremely useful in case you wanted to temporarily drop an item for a particular turn and then pick it up again. This allowed for the possibility to even share items between characters (assuming they had the ability to move after an attack). For me, this is a huge drawback from going from 1.12 to 1.14.
Being able to equip items from the storage during the first two turns is how it's intended to be.

And do I understand you correctly that the small arrow (refer to the quote) disappears from the menu after turn two?

User avatar
edwardspec
Posts: 73
Joined: March 29th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by edwardspec »

lhaire wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm
After turn 2, there is no "Drop to the ground" option available for any equipped items. Note that in prior versions (e.g. 1.12) you had the ability to drop items to the ground on any turn. This was extremely useful in case you wanted to temporarily drop an item for a particular turn and then pick it up again.
Konrad2 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
And do I understand you correctly that the small arrow (refer to the quote) disappears from the menu after turn two?
I can confirm that this feature (to drop currently equipped item to the ground) was accidentally lost when making the new Inventory dialog.

The dropdown menu (small arrow near "Equip" button) can Drop/Destroy items that are currently in the Storage, but not items currently on the unit. So after turn 2 (when the storage becomes inaccessible) there was indeed no way to place currently equipped item to the ground.

In the latest beta, I added a second dropdown menu with Drop/Destroy near Unequip button: these allow to Drop/Destroy the currently equipped item.
Please try it out.

lhaire
Posts: 26
Joined: April 21st, 2014, 8:29 pm

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by lhaire »

Konrad2 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 5:13 am
lhaire wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm
Dugi wrote:
You can. It's just positioned in that small down arrow next to the unequip button.

I have been having the same issue wrt dropping items to the ground and posted this question a couple of weeks ago.. As far as I can tell, you can only do this on the first 2 turns of a scenario. After turn 2, there is no "Drop to the ground" option available for any equipped items. Note that in prior versions (e.g. 1.12) you had the ability to drop items to the ground on any turn. This was extremely useful in case you wanted to temporarily drop an item for a particular turn and then pick it up again. This allowed for the possibility to even share items between characters (assuming they had the ability to move after an attack). For me, this is a huge drawback from going from 1.12 to 1.14.
Being able to equip items from the storage during the first two turns is how it's intended to be.

And do I understand you correctly that the small arrow (refer to the quote) disappears from the menu after turn two?
I completely understand not being able access the inventory and equip items after turn 2 as this is how it has always been.

You understood me correctly - the small arrow (i.e. to be able to drop items the ground) disappears after turn 2. This is my particular issue.

Post Reply