Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

@garfield
I tried to exaggerate my politeness to make you drop yours, but it seems that you have a better endurance. I did complain when I was replying to a post written without punctuation, capitalisation, with no organisation or division into paragraphs, but formalities like these are not necessary.

Jumping right to the topic is what is usually done.

There is no "it is too early" rule, the boss always drops property is configurable and I have it disabled in some scenarios.

@moony
I could not figure out what was going on, I noticed that the pickup activation events for these items were missing, but many others were present (for items already picked). I could not find out why they were missing, so I changed a piece of code I suspected to have something to do with it, maybe that will help. It could have been a soft error or something.
If that happens, you can pick the item by opening the 'items' menu and selecting the 'pick up items on the ground option', it does not use those events.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey, so I finished playing part I.

-The Thornsword is missing an attack icon.

-When recruiting a unit with the highlander trait, they appear with some HP missing

-In the dungeon armories (end of Chapter 5) where you have to collect a certain amount of items, if you unequip and then pick up one of your own items, you will end up with more items to collect. So if you were supposed to collect 5 items and you unequip and re-equip something you'll now have to collect 6.

-In chapter 5, the Lavaflow spell does not get removed from Lethalia - she can cast it over and over. (Meteor does get removed after casting, and both spells get removed when Efraim casts them.)

-Typo in Chapter 4, Sc. 17: "Do not listen to them, they are monsters, probably from another world, who are just running an universal plan of destruction." (should be "a")

Balancing: Maybe you should make it so multiple greater healing potions can't be used by the same character on one turn. For example in the final battle of Part I,
Spoiler:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

-The Thornsword is missing an attack icon.
This was already fixed, just not uploaded yet.
When recruiting a unit with the highlander trait, they appear with some HP missing
Fixed.
-In the dungeon armories (end of Chapter 5) where you have to collect a certain amount of items, if you unequip and then pick up one of your own items, you will end up with more items to collect.
The code looks correct, can you please attach a scenario? This looks like a bad interaction with something.
In chapter 5, the Lavaflow spell does not get removed from Lethalia - she can cast it over and over. (Meteor does get removed after casting, and both spells get removed when Efraim casts them.)
Meteor is implemented in the same way as lavaflow, and Efraim and Lethalia use the same code. Can you attach a save file where it can be replicated?
Typo in Chapter 4, Sc. 17: "Do not listen to them, they are monsters, probably from another world, who are just running an universal plan of destruction." (should be "a")
Fixed.
Balancing: Maybe you should make it so multiple greater healing potions can't be used by the same character on one turn. For example in the final battle of Part I,
Okay, made it impossible to drink more than 1 healing potion per turn with one unit.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Here's my start of scenario save for the Southeastern storeroom where you're supposed to collect 8 items.
LotI1-Southeastern_Storeroom.gz
(441.22 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
-Item bug: Unequip any item from any unit onto the ground, then pick it back up. You'll be told you have to collect 9 items now.

-Spell bug: (Can use the same save file above to test this). I tested again, both meteor and lavaflow don't get removed from Efraim or Lethalia after casting. (I got confused earlier because if both spells are added to one character, using one spell does remove it, but then the remaining one still never gets removed.)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Fixed both of them.
Zarkussell

Post by Zarkussell »

Is there a known upgrade path to use on iPhone that will prevent it from having the bug that makes you unable to play further? I have tried your campaign before and I really like it, but would like to know if there is a way for me to get through the whole thing. Thank you.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

No. The guy who made the iPhone port of wesnoth left shortly after the error was reported and the fix was either never written or it never made its way into AppStore. I don't know of a way to circumvent the problem without affecting the other versions, because I don't know of a way how the code can detect that it's running on iPhone. I can quite easily edit the save file to do the necessary changes, but accessing the save file in order to upload it so that I could alter it requires jailbreaking the device.

The only way I can think of is to kill minimally with the main heroes, getting experience only from damaging enemies and splash damage.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I finally finished the whole thing. Thanks Dugi for such a magnificent campaign.
hollowman777

Post by hollowman777 »

I am only on chapter 3 of the first grouping and I have to say that this campaign is outstanding. The items and inventory system needs to be an included add on to the entire gaming system. Any chance you can make that happen or include steps on how to add it to existing campaigns? It is quite obvious that plenty of time and effort went into developing this campaign series. The story line is a bit bizarre but I love it! Great job and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks for approval, I appreciate that.

@hollowman777
I don't think this will ever make its way into the game. It violates one of its basic principles, simplicity. Some people have made suggestions to make this a mainline campaign, but there was no response, so I assume that he wasn't even taken seriously.
Including this system into other campaigns isn't particularly hard, but it would require rebalancing all scenarios because these items make you significantly stronger.
hollowman777

Post by hollowman777 »

The items functionality brings about an entire new feel to the game and creates an even greater depth to replay. I don't think it would increase the complexity to such a level as to warrant disqualification. I certainly understand that the items function would cause a significant need to upgrade the existing scenarios. Perhaps that could be breached by providing it as an add on option. As t is the developers themselves admit that the game is aging. Something like this could provide a "fallout tactics" general feel to the game.

As it is I would love to make my own massive campaign but this would absolutely have to be a requirement. Of course I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of adding another 200 or so random drop items into the fold. Adding in some cursed items as well would be great that could only be removed at turn 1 of a specific scenario would bring about some interesting game play as well. Imagine your best character picking up a random drop that is a helm of blindness that causes the attacker to inflict 50% of damage to self as well. It would be a blast.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, I agree with you. But there are people who don't. And they have the power to decide.

Making your own campaign that uses the functionality of this campaign is easy, it's like adding a few lines into some files and being careful to avoid conflicts with the extra functionality, but that usually isn't a big problem. I've created three short campaigns that use this campaign as resources, you can have a look at them how they are made (the easiest to check is Kill the King, a very short, comedic and politically incorrect campaign I've made last month).

Customising the list of items is not trivial, but I could make some changes to make it easier.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey Dugi,
decided to replay part 2 once again. Your campaign is always improving!

I like most of your changes, but there's one that is bothering me: the Blood rain in part 9. It's not like it is too hard to deal with but I think it starts way too early. When does it start? Around turn 10? I just think it takes away the "I can spend as much time as I want in inferno" feeling that chapter 9 had before. I feel rushed now but I would prefer taking my time to discover every small chamber, every secret item there is.
Please consider letting the blood rain start around turn 25, or turn 20 to let the player explore the map.

Also about the mechanics of blood rain:
Could you make an ingame message explaining about the blood rain? Are there different strengths of it? I notice it taking away my hitpoints twice sometimes.
Also it's quite difficult to see where there is blood rain. Everythings already tainted red in inferno. I can see the rain okay on my computer but badly on my smartphone.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The blood rain starts at turn 5, but it starts slowly and its onset is accelerating over time. In larger areas, it takes more time to cover a significant part of the place, so you have more time. Upon your request, I have delayed its start by 5 turns.
The problem with that I can spend as much time as I want in inferno approach is that some people were taking it to the extremes. They equipped and levelled Efraim and Lethalia to make them super defensive, slowly killing enemies in retaliation, having enough time because they healed more hitpoints than they lost when damaged. It made the progress extremely easy, because all you had to do was to move 1 hex per turn, killing most enemies during the enemy's turn. I think that it's not the way this game was intended to be played and it isn't fun IMO.

I have made them describe what it does. It deals damage and adds lethargy stacks. It is possible to for the blood rains to overlap (each of them has a 1 hex range, two centres can't be on the same hex), in that case you take the damage and lethargy twice - that means that if you think you can face it with superior damage and healing, it will slow you down and you'll have to face multiply blood rains at once.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Dugi wrote:I think that it's not the way this game was intended to be played and it isn't fun IMO.
Well, I believe different people have different ideas of fun, or they want to try sth (different) or whatever. I don't think a good leeway for different approaches hurts too much; maybe it could be further adjusted according to the difficulty, or made optional for the hardcore players.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.