Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

It's never a lost cause. If you create something really awesome, I can change the sprite. But when reusing existing body parts, possibilities are limited.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

:D Well i doubt it will ever be Really awesome but i will try removing some of the leaves and fixing the faces skin color and see if i can make it look acceptably good.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

As I've reached Inferno once again: Dugi, what do you think about making
Spoiler:
This would make the unit way more interesting, though considerably stronger as well (right now it is close to useless, I would never recall her if she would take one of the slots).

On another note: I'm running the game for the first time on hard and I think the current strength of demons is pretty good, they are still dangerous and I was not (yet) able to build units that can truly go solo (meaning bathing in a sea of enemies alone - taking down single demons one after another is a different matter).

I was lucky and got 4 Royal Diadem's up to now (though I'm still waiting for more good cloaks and rings as well as some crucial set pieces - those are always in short supply), so my fighting squad around some FIs is pretty strong :)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The_Gnat wrote::D Well i doubt it will ever be Really awesome but i will try removing some of the leaves and fixing the faces skin color and see if i can make it look acceptably good.
Good luck.
Whiskeyjack wrote:Dugi, what do you think about making [...]
Yeah, I could do it. I don't want to mess up the commits at the moment, please remind me this in a week if I forget.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd kinda like to have some kind of confirmation/explanation regarding a dialogue. In the tutorial at the end Efraim says '...The bell you can hear sounds like the signal of an orcish invasion...'. Okay. They have a signal for being attack by orcs, when they have never been attacked by orcs? Fine with me, better be cautious than be dead. But in the next scenario he is totally surprised about Orcs attacking. 'I think..Are those...Orcs? This cannot be happening!..' Why he is he surprised so much about it, while everyone else is calm? (I'm not sure if I'm just tired right now or if it is actually weird so...please don't take too much offense, if I'm talking nonsense right now...)
Last edited by Konrad2 on April 9th, 2017, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Welcome back, Konrad2,

They have never been attacked by orcs, and have never seen any orcs, but that does not mean that they do not know of orcs and orcish attacks. Orcs had occupied those mountains earlier and were making some lesser raids before, as seen in the prequel.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Whiskeyjack wrote:right now [Evil Lethalia] is close to useless, I would never recall her if she would take one of the slots
I totally agree.
Konrad2 wrote:the turtorial
I'm always 'unhappy' in the tutorial, because some things (crafting, picking up things via the context menu) do not work as in the campaign.

Dugi wrote:
fravolous wrote:What's monotonous is the bloody rain. ...
It had to be added to force players to hurry
For me the blood rain only adds something annoying to an already dreadful(ly long) chapter IX.

As usual I have a hard time to finish that chapter; reluctantly I took a look at the github version. The first thing I noticed was that killed demon spawns turn into reeeaaal nasty black souls. Didn't appreciate the added annoyance and reverted to the previous version.
I have a cunning plan.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I'm always 'unhappy' in the tutorial, because some things (crafting, picking up things via the context menu) do not work as in the campaign.
Can you be more specific?
The first thing I noticed was that killed demon spawns turn into reeeaaal nasty black souls.
There was like a half of the original quantity of them, making it possible to pick them one by one.

I have finished the changes in chapter 4. Can someone please test the github version it before I publish it on the server?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Dugi wrote:Can you be more specific?
Oops, I guess crafting works like in the campaign. But when standing on an item I can't go into Items and then select 'Pick up items on the ground'; I find this especially enervating when I already know how it works in the campaign but have to take extra steps/turns in the tutorial because that option is missing.

Dugi wrote:There was like a half of the original quantity of them, making it possible to pick them one by one.
I don't know if they were reduced in quantity and ofc I know that I can pick them one by one. Still they have crazy resistances and a ton of damage, meaning I need two or three units to take care of them. In the best case I just waste the fighting turn with those units, in the worst case I'll also have to waste a turn to get them into position and another to get back where I was before; maybe I even need to heal my unit(s) before I can use them again. Considering I'm near the end of chapter IX and my units are relatively strong, this must be all the more annoying when the troops haven't AMLA'ed as much.

I don't share your belief that the players have to be hurried to begin with, but throwing extra annoying stuff at them that take additional time to deal with is contradictory to that goal and definitely the wrong way for this chapter in my view.

Btw: Is anyone here actually leaving a scenario earlier because of the blood rain?

Even when the rain comes I continue my path of clearing out the map, the only differences being that the movement/placement is more annoying and that the chapter gets prolonged by all those 'ouch moments'; potentially the lethargy also draws it out longer...
I have a cunning plan.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Part I 'Ascension'
Weird AI behavior in lost paradise. My ally mostly ignores villages. It seems...weird. D:

I think you should mention somewhere that XP will be 'lost' on Efraim, Lethlia, Delia and Argan along the way. It could feel really bad if you put a lot of effort in developing them and then you don't control them anymore or 'die'.

Add some bonus for very good performance in 'Ascension'. It is kinda weird, that it doesn't make a difference at all if you barely finish the level by defeating Hephaestus and having maybe one ghost left or if you have all ghosts under your control. The amount of enslaved ghost supposedly correlates to your power. Somehow. xD Maybe add the number of the enslaved souls towards the counter of soul eater? :)

Rherraent's Sword description.
Rherraent was a Smith, the description doesn't match that. 'In his hands, the sword was a formidable weapon. In the hands of its thief, it was useless.' I think this refers to it being the sword of Rherraent, like the armor and so on was his. As if he was wearing them. But he was just the smith, right? So...it doesn't match it. ._.

Efraims deathphrase in 'Ruins of Lost Empires' is 'The victory was so near!' I believe it should be 'The victory was so close!'.

EDIT: If you unequip a unit in your recall list and the recall the unit, that unit still has the boni of his or her item, equiping a new item 'fixes' this though. (I feel as if I reported that one once a long time ago but I'm not sure...)
Yup. Found it.
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:if you unequip a unit in your recall list and then recall it, the unit still has the boni of the unequipped items.
This is a known bug, but thanks for reminding.
(In 2 days this will be one year old. :D)

EDIT 2: I never understood why that 'Guarding orc in the distance' in 'Where the sun does not shine' is an ally. I mean. Why should he be an ally? .____. Why do you deprive the poor Efraim, Lethalia and Argan of the chance to relish in killing this last orc who is guarding them. Moreso, killing him with a horde of undead bats, which has to be an unbelievable shame for an orcish warlord. The perfect way to pay him back those years they were in prison. So. Why again do you deprive them of this right? :D

EDIT 3: 'Where the sun does not shine'
When you find the chasm with a way around it Efraim always says 'Another chasm..' Regardless wheter you discovered the other one yet or not. Would it be okay to give two lines of text, one for having discovered the other chasm already and one if you haven't discovered it yet?

EDIT 4: If an unit, which is standing on a village, is killed by a weapon with the special 'infect', it turns into a walking corpse. This shouldn't be possible, right? ._.

EDIT 5: 'Dark Sword of Destruction' seems to somehow disable the effect 'Sucks one health from targets with each hit' ('The Deadborn' & 'Draingloves')

EDIT 6: Shroud doesn't update when you find the elves in 'Ruins of Lost Empires'. (playing on 1.12.6) (Same when you Connor finds you in 'Escape from Oblivion')

PS: Funnily I noticed that I reported 3 of these exact 'issues' pretty much a year ago. (This isn't meant to be accusation, it's just a fun fact. My wording apparently changed a bit though. ^^)
Attachments
LotI1-Escape_from_Oblivion-Auto-Save17.gz
Efraim (EDIT 5)
(583.45 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
LotI1-Paradise_Lost_replay.gz
Weird AI behavoir
(309.57 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

nuorc wrote:Oops, I guess crafting works like in the campaign. But when standing on an item I can't go into Items and then select 'Pick up items on the ground'; I find this especially enervating when I already know how it works in the campaign but have to take extra steps/turns in the tutorial because that option is missing.
That is non-essential. You are disturbed by it only because you are used to see it working.
Konrad2 wrote:Weird AI behavior in lost paradise. My ally mostly ignores villages. It seems...weird. D:
Because there is fighting all around.
Konrad2 wrote:Add some bonus for very good performance in 'Ascension'.
You dare to command me? Well... Done it.
Konrad2 wrote:When you find the chasm with a way around it Efraim always says 'Another chasm..' Regardless wheter you discovered the other one yet or not. Would it be okay to give two lines of text, one for having discovered the other chasm already and one if you haven't discovered it yet?
They start next to a chasm, so it is certain that he has seen a chasm already.
Konrad2 wrote:'Dark Sword of Destruction' seems to somehow disable the effect 'Sucks one health from targets with each hit' ('The Deadborn' & 'Draingloves')
Because it changes the damage type from physical to cold. Suck does not work with fire, cold, lightning or arcane damage. There is an item that can change the damage type back.

Did the rest of the suggested changes. You may download version 2.2.0 from github to see the changes.
nuorc wrote:Btw: Is anyone here actually leaving a scenario earlier because of the blood rain?
Is anyone here actually leaving a scenario earlier because of the blood rain?

Also, I have added a lot of stuff to chapters 4 and 9 on the github version, can anyone please test it? I don't wanna publish it without player testing before.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

nope. It's just more annoying
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:Weird AI behavior in lost paradise. My ally mostly ignores villages. It seems...weird. D:
Because there is fighting all around.
There is not. In turn 2 my ally has 6 units that are not able attack in this turn. 5 of them do not take one of the 6 avaible villages, instead they move towards the far away enemies. Only one decides to take a village. I can't explain that by saying 'there is fighting all around'. D:
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:When you find the chasm with a way around it Efraim always says 'Another chasm..' Regardless wheter you discovered the other one yet or not. Would it be okay to give two lines of text, one for having discovered the other chasm already and one if you haven't discovered it yet?
They start next to a chasm, so it is certain that he has seen a chasm already.
Sorry, I forgot about lava chasms being chasms too, my bad. ._.
Dugi wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:'Dark Sword of Destruction' seems to somehow disable the effect 'Sucks one health from targets with each hit' ('The Deadborn' & 'Draingloves')
Because it changes the damage type from physical to cold. Suck does not work with fire, cold, lightning or arcane damage. There is an item that can change the damage type back.
Could you include that in the help? It's kinda important. D:

EDIT: Lethalias and Efraims 'Soul eater score' isn't displayed in their unit information before their first kill (after becoming liches)
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Dugi wrote:
nuorc wrote:Btw: Is anyone here actually leaving a scenario earlier because of the blood rain?
Sometimes, when it feels especially annoying :D

I feel like Beelzebub worked really well on me in other chapters (I still farmed big armies and bosses, but never tried to 'clear' whole maps), but since turn limit doesn't matter in Inferno, that positive incentive is gone.
Dugi wrote:Also, I have added a lot of stuff to chapters 4 and 9 on the github version, can anyone please test it? I don't wanna publish it without player testing before.
I just downloaded it and I am currently in Inferno, so feedback pending. I'm not playing a lot of LotI at the moment though, so it might take a few days and probably won't be all of the chapter...

Edit: Concerning Efraim's knife AMLAs: I think the nerf of -2 damage per extra attack was a little heavy. Knife is still strong enough that you can go knife + sword instead of spells (which is fine IMO, but the difference between +1 damage and -2 damage/+1 attack is just too big, so I avoided the faster AMLAs and simply leveled his damage a few times. The problem is that the attack's base damage isn't that high (8-4), so raising the attack numbers gets base damage close to 0, which means %damage on items also becomes useless. I think -1 damage/+1 attack should be fine, then it just balances out with the obligatory +1 damage between the AMLAs, resulting in two points spent for +1 attack overall.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

In 'Shadow Empire' the note says 'Generals will turn to your side after Zorox's death'. I think you mean after he was captured. Because you don't kill him.