Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

Delicius169 wrote:And I wouldnt mind some item like: decrease all resistances by 100%, give +10suck, +10%chance to be hit...
A way to circumvent the penalty would be found. Dabber would figure something out two days after an update adding it.

Whilrwind:
So it appears that we all agree that whilrwind should get some penalty like lethargy. I could add to the description that the attack is very exhausting and a use reduces the user's damage by 1 temporarily per hit. If it's used once per a couple of turns, it will not be a large disadvantage. If it's used always, it will keep the user's damage reduced roughly by the number of attacks, which is quite significant.

Slow:
So maybe slow might not be paired with reduced damage, but with squishiness instead. Slow itself is defensive, some +10 change to get hit or -10% resistances should not be so bad that it would outbalance it.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Hello. Some other remarks...

I have a Champion with Aevyn's Wrath and The Ragtag Misfit. He also has a Legacy of the Free. He earns quite a lot of money, it's nice :D

I finished scenarios8/12_Gladiatrix-The_Reckoning and I would suggest modifications to the help walkthrough.
First, I don't think it is a good strategy to hurry. I find it better to take the time to level up Vritra's friends, before going near the demons.
About the demons, it is necessary to use the narrow part of the corridor to fight them one by one. This could be added in the walkthrough.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have weakened the items providing the ability to steal (by inverting one of the other bonuses, cold resistance became weakness to cold and leadership became lesser antisocial), because they were apparently too powerful. Thieves, Assassins, Rogues, Exterminators and Shadowalkers were not affected.

Done the change in the walkthrough. Thanks for correction.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:I have weakened the items providing the ability to steal (by inverting one of the other bonuses, cold resistance became weakness to cold and leadership became lesser antisocial), because they were apparently too powerful.
Oh no!
I just had found a utility to this "steals" ability.
Steals earns on average 11/29 gold per hit, which for my Champion is about five gold per turn. I was happy, because previously I thought that steals was useless, and I like to find a use for most items. But it is not sufficient to make The Ragtag Misfit better than the Cloak of Burning Retribution or the Blackened Cloak, for example.
At the same moment the villages bring me 120 golds per turn (I'm currently in "River of Flame"). If you have been told that the steals ability is too powerful, it means that I did not find how to use it efficiently.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Okay, okay. Undoing the change.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

I like the new portrait of Warlock lady.
I havent managed o find Pyromancer s set yet.
I tried Ice set, and it is quite useless now, because Intoxicator makes the same, and cost just one item slot. But we shall see what it ll be like in next version.
Also I have problem with King´s set, does anyone find it usefull?
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Delicius169 wrote:Also I have problem with King´s set, does anyone find it usefull?
I´ve run it on a Celestial Messenger and thought it to be quite ok in my squad of those.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Delicius169 wrote:I tried Ice set, and it is quite useless now, because Intoxicator makes the same, and cost just one item slot. But we shall see what it ll be like in next version.
I use the Ice set. It is probably not the best set of items, but freezing aura is not provided by Intoxicator, for example. The difficulty with the Ice set is the vulnerability to fire, hard to overcome with other items. I have a Ice set on an Elvish Juggernaut with Dragonslayer bow, for example.
Delicius169 wrote:Also I have problem with King´s set, does anyone find it usefull?
I like the King's set. In my current game I did not find any Armour of the King, but even without all the items, the King's set is useful of a Celestial Messenger.
alpha-numeric

Post by alpha-numeric »

Hi, so I'm pretty sure I found a few bugs that make the "Avengers" scenario in Chapter 7 really annoying. In efforts to beat the demons without losing too many units, I used a holy potion on Efraim, and I found a number of issues with it. First, in the description of the potion it says the unit deals 4x damage to undead, demons, etc., but in the weapon special and in the damage calculations it only deals 3x (vs undead, that is). Secondly, it doesn't work on demons OR the corrupted undead, even though the description says it would. Third, a bug with the "perserverance" demon trait causes the potion user to only deal 1 damage in melee instead of 4x dmg or even normal dmg, which is really bothersome. Lastly, I got a lua error when I killed the first demon boss. This didn't happen again on replication, but may be related.

Edits: Just got another lua error when I killed a persistent demon; it was really weird. I used whirlwind and only 1 dmg was dealt to the surrounding units (should be a seperate calculation) and the demon took 17 dmg on the last blow and died. I can post it if you'd like.

Just realized that the death was likely from doombringer sword (2% chance to kill). Also, how do I find what "soul annihilation" or other unknown weapon specials are? They aren't described in the unit information (items one), attack screen, and is too far below the sidebar for me to read.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Delicius169
Thanks for the information.

#Ice set vs intoxicator
Intoxicator looks like one of the items that could have its damage decreased because slow is quite an advantage. I might lower the fire resistance penalty of the ice set.

@alpha-numeric
That particular trait (it's persistent, actually, not perserverance) increases resistances, and in the case of arcane resistance, it increases it to 100%. That might be too much an increase, maybe 20% more resistance would be better than 45% more resistance, it's being added to 60% and that's near the immunity cap. That potion changes the damage type to arcane, and demons are resistant to it. I admit that it's a bit nonsensical, I might remove that property if you want.

Soul annihilation and similar effects generally have a chance to kill the enemy and do something with his remaining hitpoints (drain, deal as damage, heal allies with it, etc).

Do you have a screenshot or stderr.txt output of that lua error? The information you have provided about it is insufficient for anything.
alpha-numeric

Post by alpha-numeric »

I do think that the holy potion shouldn't change damage types, as demons are resistant to arcane and the description of the item describes it being effective vs demons and other undead. On one hand, it makes sense that it would deal arcane damage, but on the other, it should still increase effectiveness vs. demons.

Here are 2 separate occasions with the same bug, only seems to happen with Efraim's whirlwind attack:

http://imgur.com/a/gzAvC

I've found a few other minor Lua errors as I have gone along, nothing that I think impacted the game, but if you want me to screenshot them from previous scenarios or in the future, I wouldn't mind. (e.g., there was a visual bug in "An Old F(r)iend" where after hitting Argan the new room would not be revealed until you moved into it.)

Also, what is stderr.txt?

BTW, thought I'd mention that I love the campaign so far (Chapter 7). Appreciate all the hard work you've done and how you continue to work on it. Thanks mate :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The holy potion is probably originally intended to be effective against undead, rather than demons, and making it arcane damage meets that goal. If demons are to be added to its sphere of effectiveness, I suggest you consider changing the demons rather than the potion.

I think stderr.txt is actually a Windows-only thing, so if you're not on Windows it might not exist. (I don't know exactly where it's saved, possibly in the program folder?) For Mac, you could check the Console app; on Linux (or Mac), you could start Wesnoth from a terminal and see the error there. (Or of course, if it's showing in the Wesnoth window, post a screenshot of it.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:@Delicius169
That particular trait (it's persistent, actually, not perserverance) increases resistances, and in the case of arcane resistance, it increases it to 100%. That might be too much an increase, maybe 20% more resistance would be better than 45% more resistance, it's being added to 60% and that's near the immunity cap.
Sometimes demons have very good resistance. I have recently seen a slimy, persistent and foul incubus, with resistances A100/B85/C55/F75/I100/P85. I have even seen better resistances than that, but I don't remember the exact figures.
Using Celestial messengers with conviction, or units that provide penetration, these demons are not so difficult to kill. But the challenge is nice.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@alpha-numeric
Arcane damage is usually an addition to the quadruple damage bonus. Without it, it's still pretty tough against these baddies. So I have removed arcane.

Can you please send me a save file where that error happens? The error itself means only that I tried to set a variable wrongly somewhere. Could you please tell me if that happens always, only sometimes, only when a unit is killed etc?

@Celtic_Minstrel
I made the demons resistant to arcane because all supernatural enemies are weak to arcane and arcane was generally a massive killer of all unholy enemies. This was making it a huge advantage and I had to add an enemy group that is an annoying exception to the rule.

Thanks for telling him what stderr is. Btw, Linux and Mac also have stderr, it's just somewhat hidden so that it's more practical to get the terminal output.

@Ashes
Okay, no reduction of difficulty shall occur.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Dugi wrote:Btw, Linux and Mac also have stderr, it's just somewhat hidden so that it's more practical to get the terminal output.
Well yes, stderr is built into standard C after all, but it's only on Windows that Wesnoth writes the output of stderr to a text file. Thus, "stderr.txt" is Windows-only.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.