Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

white_haired_uncle

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I'm playing a recent nightly build, and I don't think advancement is working correctly, but I don't know the rules.

Some units, for example Manta, have legacies and custom AMLAs. But most units don't, and don't even progress beyond the standard BFW levels, and just keep taking +3HP. For example, Mario is a Grand Marshall, but I'm sure in previous games he's progressed to Duke and/or Dragon Rider. If I look at the help, there is no path between Grand Marshall and Duke. So I think something's broken, but I don't know what the rules are supposed to be. [Oh, and books aren't working for most units either, I can take them but advances just ignore them].

From experience, I think (almost?) all units should have an additional LotI-only level, and all units (except undead?) should have legacies (I think, it might be just certain special units).

One thing I do know is my army pretty much sucks. Northern Guardian Room is pretty much hopeless. Normally I have a wall of spit-kickers, and a reserve to cycle in and out for healing. This time, I have to run away after the first few turns.

Oh, and in chapter 5 dungeon, are some of the rooms supposed to require upkeep and some not? I'm unable to auto-recall more than about a dozen units, as some rooms drain the heck out of my gold. I can capture villages to stop the losses, but not to gain any gold back.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: June 9th, 2021, 7:51 pm Thanks nuorc.

I'm playing Any Means Necessary, and I just noticed Efraim's furious attack is missing. Attached are the last turn where he had it, and the first turn where it disappears. Actually, I just checked and the stuff is missing in Lost in Space as well. I had to "debug :n" out of The Library or else Lost in Space ended in defeat as Lethalia was not recalled, FWIW.

Hmm, looks like all his gear is gone as well. That's not very nice. And that 135 lost HP will be missed. And all his advancements (at least his max XP seems pretty low, maybe I can get them back).

Beta version a few days old, 1.15.12.
That's a side effect of you bypassing the Library - Lost In Space bug with debug :n. In the end of "The Library" Efraim is put in the recall list from his storage, then in "Lost In Space" he is in your recall list (but not actually recalled), and then in "Any Means Necessary" he actually takes the lead. And as you bypassed it, Efraim wasn't put into the recall list, so he's just created anew, you see him as a brand new "Preserved Lich" unit.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: June 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm But most units don't, and don't even progress beyond the standard BFW levels
Seems like a thing for 1.15, [advancefrom] was deprecated or something like that, doesn't affect units.
white_haired_uncle wrote: June 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm Oh, and books aren't working for most units either, I can take them but advances just ignore them
Books and legacies only work for units with LotI defined AMLAs, so yeah, if LotI 4-5 lvls extra units stopped working, you can't benefit from books for most of your army

Although I wonder how did you get your 4 lvl nightprowler I've seen in your "The Library" save?
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
white_haired_uncle

dwarftough wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:36 pm
Although I wonder how did you get your 4 lvl nightprowler I've seen in your "The Library" save?
In scenario Doomsday Omens you're given a nightprowler, overlord, and gryphon rider.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi I've played LoT 1 in 1.15.13. In the first 4 scenarios there are no gems. Is that normal ?
white_haired_uncle

I'm playing on 1.15.12 (13 has a bug which I suspect is very, very serious) and I had picked up about 13 gems at that point.

EDIT: In the attached, note that Efraim has 90% cold resistance. Use whirlwind to level him. In the AMLA menu, with the +10% cold resistance selected, mouse over HP to see cold resistance will be 100%. Choose this AMLA and note that cold resistance is still 90%.

A short time later I took the 5/2/2 Ice Dragon AMLA and I'm still at 90%. I did get the blade and pierce improvements (though pierce was only 1).
dwarftough wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:36 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: June 10th, 2021, 9:00 pm But most units don't, and don't even progress beyond the standard BFW levels
Seems like a thing for 1.15, [advancefrom] was deprecated or something like that, doesn't affect units.
Guess it's an army of Snow Hunters then. Always did sort of like them.
Attachments
LotI2-Another Orcish Assault-Auto-Save10.gz
(408.15 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm Guess it's an army of Snow Hunters then. Always did sort of like them.
Hahaha, that's a cool choice. LotI 2 on snow hunters... Well, they are fairly strong, easy to advance and good resistances.

And about resistances: LotI intentionally limits resistances your units can get. The cap is 90% for fire and cold; 80% for blade, pierce, impact; 70% for arcane.
white_haired_uncle

dwarftough wrote: June 13th, 2021, 9:41 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm Guess it's an army of Snow Hunters then. Always did sort of like them.
Hahaha, that's a cool choice. LotI 2 on snow hunters... Well, they are fairly strong, easy to advance and good resistances.

And about resistances: LotI intentionally limits resistances your units can get. The cap is 90% for fire and cold; 80% for blade, pierce, impact; 70% for arcane.
Thanks. Be nice if the AMLA GUI would reflect those limits.

Playing snow hunters is certainly different. I normally make extensive use of mastadon items, which aren't so great for units stuck at L2. And I normally don't make much use of leadership (units with strong leadership available tend to be front line troops) which is great for L2s. Kind of throws me off my usual game. I do like snow hunters, though, lots of AMLAs and I'm a big fan of slow (lots of crafting Konrad's Might for marksman).

I'm playing The Path to Glory, and my battlerager just killed a L15(!) dracolich -- and got NO XP! Well, he didn't until I cheated. And then later I slowed a dark dragon, which showed as slowed but retained all 10 MP.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

I loved to craft Forest Burner sling for Snow Hunters, it gives 16-4 fireball so you acquire a unit with 4 type of damage: blade (if you haven't altered your melee), impact, cold (cold magic), fire
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

I guess I've done the impossible! I finished the scenario "Bloodbath" on turn 10 by killing all enemy bosses and as I expected, the game has no message stored in for killing all 3, it considers that impossible. Instead, I got the message that you would normally receive when you are being overcome by the enemy soldiers and then dawn breaks and you have to retreat, it was fun nonetheless! (meteors were really the MVP that made that even possible, I did have to go back in turns a lot though, which is a downside of using meteors, I played on normal difficulty for anyone wondering).
Below is the replay file:
LotI1-Bloodbath replay.gz
(291.91 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Efraims redeem (5) absorbs an adjacent lvl 3 unit, even though according to the ability describtions that's not possible.
Attachments
LotI2-Arctic Wastelands Turn 3.gz
(497.11 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
dabber

Post by dabber »

masterpace, that is really cool. I've tried doing that myself and not succeeded!
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

dabber wrote: July 21st, 2021, 2:34 pm masterpace, that is really cool. I've tried doing that myself and not succeeded!
I always assumed it to be impossible, till it turned out that it isn't. Also, I checked the code, and I was slightly wrong in my previous post. The game does acknowledge you defeating the enemies and is in fact programmed to give you that dialogue. Furthermore, the chance to land a hit on a boss isn't 0%, but is 10%, which is incredibly hard to rely on (assuming you don't bypass it using explosive damage and parry) but isn't exactly impossible.
Good luck on your next try though!
white_haired_uncle

The Army of the Frozen North (mostly snow hunters, though you do pick up a few AMLA-capable friends along the way) worked out very well.

I stuck with Konrad's Might for the bolas, as when you send a SH in to slow something like a L10 daemon, it better slow them on the first couple hits. I picked up a TON (12-15) Pyromancer's Pairs (the sword and I think the cloak, but ZERO of the third item) which gave me the fire attack. Having multiple attack types per unit is something I need to pay more attention to.

Took a new approach to BZB. Usually I try to knock him out in 1-2 turns to keep down the flies and just go for the loot. This time(s) I surrounded him with SH, and just poked at him. One or two hits on a L75-ish BZB levels a SH nicely. Surrounding the SH with ranged magic/marksman units, plus Efraim and Lethalia using mostly explosive attacks kept the flies at bay.

masterpace, that's amazing. I've never thought of even trying. Unless there's some hack I'm not aware of, I'm pretty sure I could beat the last scenario, but I just can't stand chapter 10 so I usually just quit there. IMO, that'd be nothing compared to BB, though.
masterpace

Post by masterpace »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:47 pm The Army of the Frozen North (mostly snow hunters, though you do pick up a few AMLA-capable friends along the way) worked out very well.

I stuck with Konrad's Might for the bolas, as when you send a SH in to slow something like a L10 daemon, it better slow them on the first couple hits. I picked up a TON (12-15) Pyromancer's Pairs (the sword and I think the cloak, but ZERO of the third item) which gave me the fire attack. Having multiple attack types per unit is something I need to pay more attention to.

Took a new approach to BZB. Usually I try to knock him out in 1-2 turns to keep down the flies and just go for the loot. This time(s) I surrounded him with SH, and just poked at him. One or two hits on a L75-ish BZB levels a SH nicely. Surrounding the SH with ranged magic/marksman units, plus Efraim and Lethalia using mostly explosive attacks kept the flies at bay.

masterpace, that's amazing. I've never thought of even trying. Unless there's some hack I'm not aware of, I'm pretty sure I could beat the last scenario, but I just can't stand chapter 10 so I usually just quit there. IMO, that'd be nothing compared to BB, though.
I have tried to beat the last scenario by literally destroying all the enemies (played on normal difficulty so I got more turns than expected) and I came so close (because ancient lich is broken and pretty much solo'ed 2 army camps, if it wasn't for the time he needs to move between camps he could easily solo all the camps). The problem is that even if you slay all leaders, there's still portals spawning enemies, and it's a bummer that you don't get to close a portal by stepping on it (similar to previous scenarios), but maybe that could get implemented eventually.