Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

aggu

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by aggu »

- Why don't I get XP when an enemy was killed/burnt from `incinerate` (from Fire Breath of Fire Dargon Legacy) in later turn?

- Is there a way to do AoE with incinerate?

- Is there another way to get XP other than "direct" and "AoE" killing?

- How can I know that units from chapter A can be used up to chapter B?

EDIT: And it seems that incinerate status is healed if the "enemy" unit is next to "my" healer!
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@aggu
I will have a look at that incinerate issues.

AoE incinerate is not allowed, it would be too strong.

Incineration should be another way of getting exp besides normal and AoE kills. It seems broken.

There is a reason why it's not allowed to move units from the first part into the other part. If you really want them, even at the expense of balance, you can use an add-on named Move Units Between Campaigns, that allows you using your favourites from any campaigns in other campaigns as long as they are enabled in those campaigns (you can't use Konrad in LotI or Efraim in HttT, for example).
aggu

Post by aggu »

@Dugi I mean "is it possible to know in advance if units from this scenario can be only up to scenario XXX?", so I can decide how much "investment" for that unit. Also it would be useful if I know in advance that later in chapter XXX I can recruit "loyal" units.

Maybe just an FAQ entry telling which chapters/scenarios previous units are gone. And better if it says which chapters can get/recruit what units (so I can know when to get dwarves).

I know this is a cheat because in real life you never know in advance what you invest today will or will not pay, and what to come next! But this is a game (an awesome game, even more by your LotI campagin!), even things can be undone (by "reloading"). Well, after writing this I feel OK if the information is still not available as it is. ;-)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

There's no way to tell it ahead of time. But I can tell you:
Spoiler:
aggu

Post by aggu »

@Dugi Thanks for the info!

Another question: Is it a bug or an intention that AMLA affects Legacy? For example, an Elvish Gryphon Rider with Fire Dragon Legacy: if I get Fire Breath first, then "faster with the bow" AMLA will also increase number of attacks of Fire Breath (from 13-4 to 13-5). But not the reverse (i.e. getting "faster with the bow" first, then Fire Breath, resulting in 13-4 Fire Breath). If a bug, Fire Breath should be 13-4 in the first case; if an intention, should be 13-5 in the latter case. (So it seems to have a bug both ways!)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

No, that's a bug. Did you encounter it also with some other units than Elvish Grpyphon Rider?
aggu

Post by aggu »

I'm not sure. But, I guess (don't know Wesnoth markup), the bug seems to come from "loosely" specifying what to apply in advancement. For example, in Elvish_Gryphon_Rider.cfg:

Code: Select all

[advancement]
            max_times=1
            id=bow
            description= _ "faster with the bow"
            image="attacks/bow-elven.png"
            strict_amla=yes
            require_amla=""
            [effect]
                apply_to=attack
                range=ranged    ### cause the bug?
                increase_attacks=1
            [/effect]
            {AMLA_DEFAULT_BONUSES}
        [/advancement]
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yes, it should say name=longbow instead of range=ranged. I wrote it before the legacies were added (there was no way to add another ranged attack) and did not think of it when adding legacies.
Ivenzz

Post by Ivenzz »

А у меня вопрос. Ваша кампания есть на русском языке?
matsjoyce

Post by matsjoyce »

*I have a question. Do you have your campaign has Russian?
No, I don't speak Russian, but Google does.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

matsjoyce wrote:No, I don't speak Russian, but Google does.
You don't need to bother, I speak Russian (though not very well).
Ivenzz wrote:А у меня вопрос. Ваша кампания есть на русском языке?
Нет. Только на английском и на немецком. я делаю переводы очен плохо и моя зналощ русского езика нет хорошая (это видеть, да?).

Один ужитовник, я уже непомню как его зовут (FallenPhoenix?), хочел уделать русский перевод, но ета кампаня ещё небыла переведительная. сегодня, ето это нет проблем, но я его невидел уже лета. хочеш-ли ето переведить, можеш, но это очень много рабботы.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Little question, someone has written here, that it is possible to findou out what legacy unit has by looking at the code? Where can I find it? I was looking on save files and found nothing. I am experimenting with certain Legacies together with units, and it s long time, before I manage to find unit with fitting legacy.
P.S. I was just reading shortened version of Mahabharáta, and EFraim and Leth seems to be a bit week heroes now, in comparison to Drona, Ardžuna, Bhisma, Bišma,... who could kill a thausands of soldiers in single day by their own.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Little question, someone has written here, that it is possible to findou out what legacy unit has by looking at the code?
Look at the unit's array, find the [modifications] subtag. Inside, there should be a tag named [advance] somewhere with id= set to the name of the legacy. It is human readable and it can be changed without causing trouble if no legacy advancements were taken.
I was just reading shortened version of Mahabharáta, and EFraim and Leth seems to be a bit week heroes now, in comparison to Drona, Ardžuna, Bhisma, Bišma,... who could kill a thausands of soldiers in single day by their own.
And Beowulf swam to Denmark while wearing ten chainmails to be protected from whale attacks. Myths are crazier than video games.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Dugi wrote:Look at the unit's array, find the [modifications] subtag. Inside, there should be a tag named [advance] somewhere with id= set to the name of the legacy. It is human readable and it can be changed without causing trouble if no legacy advancements were taken.
It´s not always quite that easy. Spawned unit as well as some new recruits don´t have legacies yet and you´ll have to wait for the legacy to be added through leveling up, before you can change it (or add the whole id-thingy as in the above code).

[modifications]
				[trait]
#textdomain wesnoth-help
					description=_"Zero upkeep"
					female_name=_"female^loyal"
					id="loyal"
					male_name=_"loyal"
					[effect]
						apply_to="loyal"
					[/effect]
				[/trait]
				[trait]
					female_name=_"female^quick"
					id="quick"
					male_name=_"quick"
					[effect]
						apply_to="movement"
						increase=1
					[/effect]
					[effect]
						apply_to="hitpoints"
						increase_total="-5%"
					[/effect]
				[/trait]
				[advance]
					id="legacy_of_sorrow"
				[/advance]
If you already took the AMLA "aware of legacy posessed" there will also be a second [advance] tag which includes something like the following:

[advance]
#textdomain wesnoth-loti
					description=_"aware of legacy possessed"
					id="awareness"
					image="units/unknown-unit-cropped.png"
					max_times=1
					require_amla="legacy_of_sorrow"
					strict_amla=yes
					[effect]
						apply_to="hitpoints"
						heal_full=yes
						increase_total=4
					[/effect]
					[effect]
						apply_to="max_experience"
						increase="20%"
					[/effect]
				[/advance]
I don´t think you need to change this, but I´m not sure if it can cause problems if you don´t.

The bigger problem with this is that you can´t change some legacies after you took the awareness AMLA (I´m not sure about this, but I think reaching max level might already be enough for this in some cases), namely the newer AMLAs (this is at least true for LotFN and LotF). I have no idea what might cause this, but changing the id in the [advance] tag doesn´t do anything here and the unit just stays with the original AMLA.

If you want one of those Legacies gone, the easiest way is to recruit a new unit and set the desidered AMLA setting before it reaches max-level.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Techknow

Post by Techknow »

Hi, I found a bug in version 3.1.19, and searching it doesn't indicate anyone else has stumbled upon it I think so it could be in the latest version. In "The Desert" scenario, I applied two potions to Krux, and the effects of both potions disappeared after an AMLA, no matter which advancement I choose. I wonder if the bug is specific to that unit because I only applied books before that and the advancements and their effects don't disappear. Otherwise thanks for creating and maintaining this wonderful endgame.