Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Naron

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Naron »

This is the configuration of the game when I get to fight Akula:

As you can see, I can not immediately reach the Akula and I can not slow her.
That I think is the problem, because Akula attack first, without being slowed down and I lose this fight.
However I do not want to turn on debug mode. I like to win fairly, without tricks. When I had the problem with the servants of Lilith, I have not resorted to any trick to win, I just tried several strategies until I found one useful.
Whirlwind attack suggestion would be helpful if Efraim would be near Akula, but this is not the case.
Is there any other way (without debug)?
Speaking of balance, it seems to me that it is OK. The problem is with me, I'm not a good player.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:It was strange, looking at the list of advancements he took, he should have had fireball. When it appeared on the advancement list, it looked okay as well, but then I noticed that for unknown reasons he had no fireball attack. I can tell it is not related to the other problem that caused a lot of mess, something is removing that attack. I will have to study it more, I have never seen anything like that.
Perhaps I'm going to replay Chapter 3, but I'm waiting for the next release. Then things might be different.

I was wondering, why shadow wave is in the advancement of the liches a cold attack, while for shadowalker it's an arkan attack?

That brings me to a point, I was always wondering about. Why is Efraim comparativly weak to Lethalia after becoming a lich? Lethalia is improved with a good melee attack, while Efraim loses his good shadow wave for a mediocre cold attack. Cold attacks are the least useful of the magic attacks. If he wants to have something useful like arkan resistance, he has to take another two cold attacks. This a bit waste of advancements. By the way, what is the difference in a long term perspective between wave of fear and chilling tempest?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

RainerT wrote:I was wondering, why shadow wave is in the advancement of the liches a cold attack, while for shadowalker it's an arkan attack?
It is an error. It was supposed to be an arcane attack, thanks for reporting that. Corrected it, I will release it with chapter 8, probably within this week (will not act retrospectively unless you send me the save file to correct it).
This explains some other questions you asked.
RainerT wrote:Cold attacks are the least useful of the magic attacks.
Though it is not really important now, cold attacks will become very useful in chapter 8 (but you will not have preserved liches there).
Naron wrote:As you can see, I can not immediately reach the Akula and I can not slow her.
If you want to change position, reload a save file and move elsewhere before she appears. This should let you attack her first.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:Though it is not really important now, cold attacks will become very useful in chapter 8 (but you will not have preserved liches there).
I read they will become demigods. Will all the advancments be gone like before, when they became preserved liches? What about the advancements from books?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Because of length, storyline and gameplay reasons, you may not continue to chapter 6 from chapter 5 (you'll see why once you finish it). You will lose advancements in the transformation from preserved lich to demigod (but only those you obtained in chapter 6), that wasn't very long. Anyway, the power and spells of demigods are much better than the power of preserved liches.

Update: 14 out of 16 scenarios from chapter 8 written, and 13 are uploaded to the trunk server (find how to connect in one of my previous posts, if you want to do some beta testing).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Chapter 8 is finished now. It contains 16 scenarios, and it is about a disaster partially caused by events in chapter 7. Gameplay-wise, it is similar to chapter 7.

It is not very balanced, I did not have time to replay it without debug mode, so balance feedback would be more than welcome.

In addition, I have fixed some problems that were reported here, the most important from them is the performance. Enemy AI is still slow sometimes (though the newer scenarios should work well) , but now you can Alt+Tab to your browser or something else without risking that the advancing window will pop up and the time will be wasted - now all AMLA advancement questions are moved to the beginning of your turn.
Also, you can alter the last AMLA a unit has taken now, for the case if you have taken something that showed to be useless.

Compatibility should not be a great problem, units won't advance until you finish your current scenario, but then everything should be gone.
RainerT

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (chapter 8 is out)

Post by RainerT »

I just upgraded to the new version, restarted Capter 3 and found two bugs. I add an save file. If I level an unit in this place, a second Efraim suddenly appears. Kill the bandit at 42,55 with the archer at 46,58 and you will get the effect. It happens also, if I level other units.

The elvish captain at 42,56 has a Holy Sword. In the beginnig illumination was there, but suddenly it disapeard. This happend some time before levelling.

I have another question about Efraims advancement. I could only get two movement points, the elivation and thats it. I remember in older games he could take at least four point and Lethalia can get at least five points in the current game. Will he get more movement points at a later stage? Will nightstalk be available after getting shadow wave?
Attachments
LotI1-Thirst_for_Adventures_Runde_29-1.gz
(512.39 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

If I level an unit in this place, a second Efraim suddenly appears.
I have seen the second Efraim, but when I advanced one of them, no new Efraim appeared.
Kill the bandit at 42,55 with the archer at 46,58 and you will get the effect.
Nope, everything happened as it should have. I have tried it both on 1.10.4 and 1.11.0. I would say the problem is your version, 1.11.0 svn, that is a highly unstable version. I know that some changes in advancing were done between 1.10 and 1.11, so you probably have a subversion where advancing is not working expectably and causing issues with some codes. I might be able to find your error, if you sent me a link to the installation file of that particular version (but it might be impossible to find), I have tried to do something with it, but it's hard to locate errors when I cannot see them, so I am not expecting that it will fix anything, when I'll upload an update, you might try it. If everything fails, install wesnoth 1.11.2, or some other more stable version.
In the beginnig illumination was there, but suddenly it disapeard.
He still has the illumination. Only its graphical representation was overrun by the graphical representation of of the cantor ability adding marksman. Because wesnoth allows only one halo (in this case, it is the graphical representation of these two abilities), I cannot add more of them, so one has to override another. I might create a system merging these images and making a single halo from it, but it sounds too complicated so I cannot say when I will start trying.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Dugi wrote:If everything fails, install wesnoth 1.11.2, or some other more stable version..
How do I get 1.11.2?
minardians

Post by minardians »

Just some info, I dunno whether it also happened to other or not, sometimes when level advancing, Efraim and/or Lethalia doesn't have level advancement - the skill upgrade window didn't appear. This thing sometimes happened after I've finished my turn and the main heroes are attacked then by tons of enemies (mainly in the spiral stage, Ch. 7). I gotta reload the save and put him away before advancing.
And also, some of my hi-level soldiers, equipped with several crafted items (Widowmaker / Marrowrend, Art of War, Hatred), when attacked and reach 1 hp they simply didn't die. Next turn, after regenerating, they're attacked by enemies again but simply when reach 1 hp, enemies stop attacking them. Any ideas about it?

*edit*
This is on previous version before Ch. 8 up, sorry.

Anyway, could you please make the drop items more varied on hard difficulty? Some gems are rare to obtain since their drops seems reduced.
It's not that I'm lazy, I just haven't found my interest.
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Hi. I almost completed playing chapter 7 and I have couple things to admit:
1) On 09_The_Den_of_Evil.cfg map AI turns were painfully slow. All AI players are spending so much time making their turns so it becomes comparable to time I spend making my turn. This is annoying enough. Maybe AIs should have limited units numbers? I managed to block units heaing to attack my back in narrow passages anyway. So it makes little sense to send all these units. AI is dumb about handling this anyway. AI never replaces wounded units with fresh ones and afraids to attack with wounded. So it stucks forever and all other units just queued. So the only result is that game is seriously slowed down by hundreds of units. This is annoying even with AI walk animation switched off. And absolute nightmare if you have it enabled

2) 12_The_Last_Enemy.cfg has been a way too hard for me on normal level. Too much fakes spawns each turn. I had ran into major trouble with these dozens of illusions. They attack hard. They kill anything I have. They're not affected by area effects and most of other advanced things. On 1st miss they jump back and attack stops. At the end I'm wasting all units and then numerous illusions are killing main heroes. I probably can cope with few illusions + real enemy but not when there are ~6 new on each turn. In my case I has been only able to win using debug cheats. Not something I would expect on "normal" level. I think number of fakes should be somehow limited or so. For me it rather sounded like "mission impossible" - replayed 4 times without any remarkable success. Readed help. It's irrelevant: shooting these nasties with slow spells is inefficient and quite pointless. At best I can somewhat reduce number of fakes, but anyway, they kill all units I recruit at the same speed I recruit. Then I'm running out of money and have no means to reduce their numbers. So all heroes follow their shredded army and I lose. Granted that I had no major troubles in other maps before this one I guess it's somewhat unbalanced or so.

P.S.: this is an absolutely most epic campaign I ever played in BfW. Whole 8 chapters? Oh, I really like that :mrgreen:
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

In "Sightseeing" (Chapter 2 Scenario ), Argan is getting killed around turn 9/10, which seems earlier than I can reasonably reach him. Is he supposed to be able to fend for himself? AI deaths leading to defeat are always annoying (especially if said AI force is far away); is that lose condition really needed for this scenario?

Edit: Reloading until Argan decided not to place himself in dangerous positions bought me enough time to get Lethalia over there. Still seems like an odd lose-condition, though.
axds123

Post by axds123 »

@dugi multiplayer gladiators would be pretty sick gonna try new scenarios
U WOT M8
Naron

Post by Naron »

I decided to resume the campaign from the beginning. Now I got to Chapter IV, Efraim possess wave of fear attack (20-6, leeches, slow, explosive slow and explosive).
And Lethalia has fireball attack (19-6, explosive, guided).
Is that better?
Anyway, I updated Legend of the Invincibles to the latest version. I see increased number of chapters, now there are 8 chapters. I'm curious, how many chapters will have your campaign?
I personally would like an infinite number of chapters :)
Thanks again to this campaign, I really love it.
axds123

Post by axds123 »

Chapter seems to work fine the demons are overpowered i think when you have them with 50-2 attack at level 5 base units in first scenario but are you sure chapter 8 is finished played till chapter 14 then said unknown scenario thanx axds123 your most fervent fan
U WOT M8