Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

lhybrideur

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by lhybrideur »

For which Wesnoth version? 1.14?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Bobit wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:17 am Does anybody have a Chapter 3 save? Mine got deleted and I really don't want to start from the beginning.
Here it is, for Wesnoth 1.14 and the latest stable LotI. It's on the hard difficulty, but you can change difficulty when you load the game if you like
Attachments
LotI1-Thirst for Adventures.gz
(179.98 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Bobit

Post by Bobit »

Nvm, I just didn't have the mod loaded and you can use :n anyway.

I'm burned out on the mod though. Wesnoth has too much story and not enough rogue-ish-ness for me. I think the shorter spinoffs are of higher quality, though unit designs can leave something to be desired and some scenarios are very difficult.

I'm a little curious whether the AI accounts for any of the new abilities, such as is it able to use whirlwind.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I don't know if I should trust Master Dugi with his surveys. :P
Spoiler:

Now to something completely different: I've been away from BfW for a while, think I might give LotI another run; but I noticed the wiki pages were last updated in 2018? Is @matsjoyce still with us? Anyone have an idea on that?
I have a cunning plan.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

2 bugs on 1.14:
The item 'Transformed Flesh' is being referred to as 'Transformed Connectivity Tissue' in the item set instead of its correct name.

'Lesser Lethargy' doesn't seem to be working.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Hello, i want to report a bug,

in the tutorial, after making the twinkling sword, we are told to unequip it, but i can't seem find the button for that. Am I missing something or is it a bug?
Matias198

Post by Matias198 »

Hi, I wanted to post an exploit from Where the sun does not shine. Where the bats spawn, you can station an undead bat and just reap experience. After a point, bats will only spawn in unaccesible terrain, with 100% chance to hit them. If you use this exploit long enough, you can end up having an undead creature that doesn't fly (ghoul, warrior, archer) there up in the chasm grinding its way to max level. Just wanted to comment it, maybe it can be fixed.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

I think the following is a bug: when Vritra goes on her gladiator scenarios (Gladiatrix) and then when Vritia and Krux are on their own (Despair), they don't have access to any items, but they do have access to whatever gems the main heroes had in the previous scenario.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Bug: In "The Chase" if you redeem Deliria with Krux early in the scenario, she vanishes and you cannot apparently finish the scenario.
dabber

Post by dabber »

1) I haven't seen @matsjoyce in a while. He didn't respond when I last tried to get the automated wiki updated.
2) There are various places in LotI where "farming" is possible. To me, farming bats is the weakest, although since it so early, maybe it is powerful. The biggest farming possibilities I think are in chapter 9. I know I've "harvested" about two dozen level 5s per turn in one spot there.
3) Dugi decided to let the gems magically reach across reality. Certainly chapter 10 would be vastly more difficult without the gems.
4) I put a fix for Transformed Flesh into github
5) I have observed the problem with Lesser Lethargy. I haven't figured it out.
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

Bug? Krux can redeem Beelzebub.
dabber

Post by dabber »

It is clear why lesser redeem can break stuff - no checks against it. In concept, adding a check is easy, but there are some oddities to the lesser redeem logic. Most importantly, I don't understand what [insert_tag] is doing, and wesnoth wml documentation didn't help much. Is this just an old way of writing?

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=attack
        first_time_only=no
        [filter]
            ability=lesser redeem
        [/filter]
        [set_variables]
            name=random_code
            [value]
                rand=0..$second_unit.level
                name=did_succeed
            [/value]
            mode=replace
        [/set_variables]
        [insert_tag]
            name=set_variable
            variable=random_code
        [/insert_tag]
        {CLEAR_VARIABLE random_code}
        [if]
            [variable]
                name=did_succeed
                greater_than=0
            [/variable]
            [else]
actually redeem target here
I think if I do something like this below it will work.

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=attack
        first_time_only=no
        [filter]
            ability=lesser redeem
        [/filter]
        {VARIABLE_OP did_succeed "0..$second_unit.level"}
        [if]
            [variable]
                name=did_succeed
                equals=1
            [/variable]
            [not]
                [variable]
                    name=bosses
                    contains=$second_unit.id
                [/variable]
            [/not]
            [then]
actually redeem target here
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

you need to assign did_succeed first, it's missing rand in this case.
Ghost-19755

Post by Ghost-19755 »

Hello, recently I started playing this campaign, it is so interesting that I decided to rigister a forum account to do some feedbacks.

Wesnoth 1.14.16
Legend of the Invincibles 3.2.6d Updated 2020-08-10

01 --- Some units

1.1. Delly

In chapter 3 She has an "more precise with knives" advancement but you can never reach it.

In 'Delly_lich.cfg', the advancement 'id=knife3' has an 'require_amla=knife3'.

1.2. Vritra

In chapter 8 where Vritra cannot control her anger, she has an 'berserk1_damage' advancement which does take effect on her 'mberserk2' and 'mberserk3' attacks, but does not affect her 'mberserk5' attack. This may be caused by a mistake in 'Vritra.cfg', 'name=mberserk' should be 'name=mberserk5'.

In chapter 10 scenario 3, when Vritra attacks, a talk is triggered. After that she gains a free advancement 'able to attack twice in a row'. But that advancement doesn't actually give her an 'fury (2)' attack.

She also has an "attacking horrendously with berserk attacks" (id=berserk2_damage) advancement which doesn’t have any effect, which should give 'horrid' to her berserk attacks.

By the way, other people like Destroyer and Orcish Nightblade can change the damage type of their less berserk attacks alongside with their base attack, but Efraim and Vritra cannot, their fury attacks always have the 'blade' damage type. I really hope that I could use my 'Stormgrip' gauntlet.

1.3. Krux

In chapter 10 Krux_later born with a 'marksman' weapon special in his sword attack, yet he has an 'sword2_marksman' advancement to add another 'marksman'.

1.4. Externimator

The Externimator has an 'murderous_frenzy' upgrade, which adds an new 'charging backstab' attack based on his original 'backstab' dagger attack. It costs 3 advances and the final damage is 10% lower and the 'charging backstab' weapon special is worse than 'backstab'.

I tried to give something like 'Nocturnal Cloak' to him and realized that they cannot cumulate to let him do quad damage and receives double back.

So I think this advancement is meaningless and a waste of experiences.

1.5. Dwarvish Dragonguard

Dwarvish Dragonguard uses 'staff', and is different from Dwarvish Thunderer, Dwarvish Thunderguard and Dwarvish Technocrat (who use 'thunderstick').

You can craft a 'dragonstaff' (which is categoried as 'thunderstick' in 'Crafting') but cannot give it to a Dwarvish Dragonguard.

1.6. Scythemaster

At first I thought this guy was not that strong (as other people say). But then I find a 'Guide to Lycanthropy' book to him.

The whirlwind attack is his most powerful melee attack, and the upgrade from 'Guide to Lycanthropy' can let him transform into a hellhound, which added him berserk.

'whirlwind' means no retaliation, 'berserk' means until enemy dies (or 30 rounds). So his new 'whirlwind berserk' attack means he can kill anyone without take any damage.

Yesterday he managed to kill the level 105 Beelzebub in a single turn.

1.7. Elvish Jugglenaut & Elvish Overlord (Not a bug)

This guy is my favorite unit, although he is not powerful.

I realized that Elvish Overlord is the elf who can do the most melee damage, after two "faster at melee combat" upgrades. And, whatever Elvish Juggernaut can do, Elvish Overlord can do the same thing, plus a "Violent Mage's Staff", to do two times better.

That's not all, Elvish Overlord can benefit much from the Dark Dragon Legacy, both in melee and magic. His "a faster caster" and "a better caster" advancement affects the dark dragon breathe too.

Elvish Overlord also have more movement points, better terrain defense, and he benefits more from upgrade (+3 defense, Elvish Juggernaut only +2 defense). He also have extra upgrade that add magical resistance.

All those makes him way more powerful than Elvish Jugglenaut. Still Elvish Juggernaut is my favorite unit, please do something to make him more competitive.

02 --- Some maps/scenarios

2.1. Foul Pits (Chapter 9)

After you finally defeat Lilith and after the long talk, you leave Foul Pits and continue wandering in Inferno. But you can go to Foul Pits again.

Lilith's fortress and a small boss is there. When you approach him, Lilith will appear and become the boss again. Defeating her will trigger the same long talk, but end with a 'Defeat' instead of 'Victory'.

And, Lilith_good joins you in Pandemonium. After that, you can still turn back and go to Foul Pits again. When you approach the boss, your weak level 5 Lilith_good disappears and a strong level 25 evil Lilith appears again to be the big boss. Defeating her also triggers 'Defeat'.

And then, you can just put her aside and leave Foul Pits and continue your journey. With Lilith_good's absence you don't need to prepare artifects for her and don't need to protect her any more.

2.2. Uria's Den (Chapter 9)

After you finally find Pillar of Continuum's Alteration in 'Sepulcher of the Nefarious', you can still go back to 'Antechambers of Ultimate Evil' and then Uria's Den.

But before you leave Uria's Den, the talk about Pillar of Continuum's Alteration is triggered again. The task is added to your list again. And you go to 'Gathering Alcore' you can trigger "It's a trap" again. Romero appears and the portal appears.

You can go to the world of the undead part of 'Sepulcher of the Nefarious' through the portal again, but as the gate is sealed, you got stucked in that map forever.

03 --- Some mechanisms

3.1. Leadership

anathema (Warlock)
antisocial (Cunctator's Armour)
royalty (Royal Diadem)
aura of universal annihilation (Colossally Colossal Arch-Devilish Blade of Universal Annihilation)

Cunctator's Armour is really powerful, but 'antisocial' is a problem, then I found this bug.

Those effects don't work well together. For example,

If an anathema Warlock wears a Cunctator's Armour, he becomes less antisocial.
If an anathema Warlock got a Royal Diadem, he is no longer antisocial at all, he becomes welcomed.
Anyone can use a Colossally Colossal Arch-Devilish Blade of Universal Annihilation alongside with a Cunctator's Armour to simplely avoid the 'antisocial' penalty.

Put anathema (leadership -30%) and royalty (leadership +30%) together will not result leadership +0%, the higher value just simplely totally replaces the lower value. The result is leadership +30%.

3.2. Precision

'marksman' has 'at least 60%' precision, only when attack.
'magic' always have 70% precision, both in attack and defense.
'focused' has 'at least 80%' precision, both in attack and defense.
'guided' always have 90% precision, both in attack and defense.

Sometimes things become strange. For example, a Burning Soul has 0 terrain defense,

redeem 6 is focused, so have 100% chance to hit it.
redeem 7 is guided, so only have 90% chance to hit it.

When Lethalia uses a Lethal Axe, her whirlwind attack becomes 'magic' + 'marksman', so have 100% chance to hit a Burning Soul, better than whirlwind of someone else.

I suggest to use some other words to better represents precision, for example,

Some fighters are really good at fighting, he can easily catch a dodging enemy or break through enemy blocking. So he has 'precision(60)' or 'precision(70)', which have at least X precision on target, both in attack and defense. He never miss a target who cannot block or dodge (Burning Soul).

Some archers are expericed and can have 'marksman' or 'aimed(70)' or 'aimed(80)', which have at least X precision on target, but only in attack. Because it's really hard to aim in defense.

Magic always have good precision, because it's impossible to block or dodge. But even the best caster can miss, because magic needs concentration, it's really really hard. They can have 'magic' or 'guided(80)' or 'guided(90)', which always have X precision, both in attack and defense.

That's all for now. Thank you very much for making such a good campaign.
Beavor

Post by Beavor »

Hello, I've recently started playing this and absolutely love it.

I had a question: Is there any way to see the stats of a unit after they've been changed by equipment & AMLAs? The unit description show only the base stats.

Also, what AMLAs should I pick for Efraim
Spoiler:
Is it better to focus on his berserk ability, or just focus on upgrading is sword attacks? And what about ranged and redeem options?
Last edited by Beavor on June 3rd, 2021, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.