Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Dugi

Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

This is the feedback forum for the Legend of the Invincibles singleplayer campaign. If you have played the campaign and have any comments regarding it (bugs, difficulty), feel free to post about it here, I am interested in reading it, even if it is a petty thing. Because of the size of the campaign, there are always things that might need some polishing.
Also, if you think this campaign sucks, tell me why (it might be corrected).

The points of the campaign:
A long storyline following the life, unlife and godhood of a pair of heroes and their followers
A campaign that is long enough to let anyone develop an army of recalls (90 scenarios in the first part, 110 in the second part)
Scenarios with enough variability to keep it interesting through the long story
To make the development of recalled units more interesting, advancement lines are prolonged with additional unit levels and specific AMLA
To increase the possibilities of customisation of units, an item and inventory system was added

(this is not the thing that is usually called RPG campaign, it just has RPG features)
Changelog so far:
Testimonials:
If you want to read further, keep in mind that this feedback topic is extremely long and started at times when this campaign was very different from the its current appearance. If you want to know the relevant information and reply to relevant posts, read the latest posts, that should be on pages with numbers approaching three hundred and fifty (or more).

Tips for players:
Submit or browse some interesting combinations of items on units here: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/DeadlyUnitsFromLotI

For iPhone users:
It will probably happen that at some point, the list of options in a menu related to an ability called redeem will grow too long to fit into the iPhone screen, preventing you from proceeding. You can fix this by going into the accessibility menu and enabling the zoom feature. Thank gabe6044 for discovering this trick.

For people willing to contribute with loads of free time and translate the campaign:
Here is a guide written by Chewan (the German translator) how to set the things up for Windows users who don't have deep knowledge of the topic:
translation_instruction.rtf
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 4702 times
Some information about the custom content can be found on the wiki:
Items
Units' advancements
Additional advancements achievable from various sources
Abilities
Script used to make them:
loti_wikifier.zip
(8.45 KiB) Downloaded 3190 times
If you wish to have the latest version or contribute, you may want to check out its GitHub repository on https://github.com/Dugy/Legend_of_the_Invincibles. If you have trouble using Git, this program should help you.
Last edited by Dugi on August 6th, 2020, 8:54 pm, edited 149 times in total.
Blues

Re: Legend of the Invincibles and RPG AMLA Era feedback

Post by Blues »

Well, you probably saw the thread I started. First part, last scenario, a comma is missing. Second part, last scenario an invalid side is used.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I think it worked well on my computer. I checked it now. I saw someone writing about some problem there, but some poeple told it works well. Maybe you should ask someone who knows what to do and have the problem. I may use his changes to upload it again.
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

I played this campaign and I like it, it haves some unusual units and their associated history. As for me, I like this campaign :)

The problem? Well, I was not able to play final battle, unfortunately :( (The Battle for Ogira scenario).

Config:
I'm using BfW 1.8.5 under Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. Latest Legend of the Invincibles used from 1.8.x server.

What happens:
When I finish my turn (Efraim's side) then WML error pops up and then scenario terminates and I'm returned to main menu.
It looks like if there was typo.

------CUT------
20110222 01:40:53 error general: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
Unknown unit type : Wolf RiderOrcish Warrior while scoring units.

When reporting the bug please include the following error message :
Condition 'enemy_info' failed at ai/default/ai.cpp:1348 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'.
------END------

Savegame in question attached.

Other side notes:
1) Efraim and Lethalia require so many XP to advance that I never seen their AMLA so I guess I missed something or so.
2) Looks like Lethalia is AI-controlled in last scenario. However this means there is no fun to control a really powerful unit to kick some orcish butts. It's not that I like to play by powerful unit just to lose control over it in final battle.
Attachments
LotI1-The_Battle_for_Ogira-Auto-Save1.gz
savegame
(59.75 KiB) Downloaded 4414 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

t3st3r wrote:It looks like if there was typo.

------CUT------
20110222 01:40:53 error general: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
Unknown unit type : Wolf RiderOrcish Warrior while scoring units.

When reporting the bug please include the following error message :
Condition 'enemy_info' failed at ai/default/ai.cpp:1348 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'.
------END------
It does look like a typo doesn't it.

Go into the scenario file with a text editor (it'll be in ~add-ons/campaigns/[whatever the campaign folder's called]/scenarios).
Use Find+Replace to replace all instances of Wolf RiderOrcish Warrior with Wolf Rider,Orcish Warrior.
It should now work.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Done, fixed scenario attached.
Attachments
16_The_Battle_for_Ogira.cfg
(17.55 KiB) Downloaded 4274 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Now I know why it worked on my computer. It was just bad luck that the enemy leader hadn't decided to recruit Wolf RiderOrcish Warrior.

t3st3r, thank you for a better description of problem as the previous 'a comma is missing'. If the error does not pop up when I am checking it, I would rather expect a download/upload error. And it is impossible to stay fully concentrated when checking 600 lines for a typo.

Reepurr, thank you for helping. This forum was long dead, so I was checking it about once per week.

Answers:
1. Efraim or Lethalia on level 6 are insanely powerful and overpowered, so I made it hard to reach such as a high level. Getting level 6 needs a lot of planning, but it should be worth it. Efraim has both melee and ranged berserk attack and Lethalia is pretty strong too. They have no unusual AMLA, I wasn't skilled enough then, it is only in chapters 2 and 3. They have usually about 7 improvements to choose when they level up.
2. Interesting idea. I pawned all the orcs with lancers and elvish archers and sylphs and did not miss her really. Like in chess, if you have rooks and bishops, you do not need the queen so much. But if you do think it is disappointing, I might make the elvish army get under your control in turn 3. What do you say about it?

I am happy you liked my campaign and thanks for helping to solve the error finally.
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

dugi wrote:Now I know why it worked on my computer. It was just bad luck that the enemy leader hadn't decided to recruit Wolf RiderOrcish Warrior.
I had bad luck virtually all times I attempted to play this scenario. Maybe that's because of my nickname or so :mrgreen:

As for fixing it further, I can propose 2 good ideas as well:
1) Delly (leader of green side) is too aggressive but not very powerful. So AI often does suicidal attacks on powerful enemies without a good reasons. Either give a control to human or make AI to value leader at all costs. I lost 2 or 3 times due since stupid AI controlling Delly side attacks Troll with Delly like an idiot, loses half health on retaliation and and then loses Delly when enemy AI makes it turn and finishes Delly with another hits. That's annoying since player can't forbid AI to act like an idiot, except by completely taking side over AI to prevent moron moves/attacks by Delly (which are suicidal and lead to scenario loss).

2) I see there are 2 more parts :mrgreen:. Have you seen Invasion from the Unknown? They're starting second part of campaign from first part. So player could either start 2nd part from scratch OR continue playing from 1st part. As for me it looks like a good idea to do the same here as well. I really like how this implemented in IFTU campaign.
t3st3r, thank you for a better description of problem as the previous 'a comma is missing'. If the error does not pop up when I am checking it, I would rather expect a download/upload error.
I haven't seen bugs in campaigns due to such reasons, ever :wink:.
And it is impossible to stay fully concentrated when checking 600 lines for a typo.
That's why I'm here :mrgreen:
Answers:
1. Efraim or Lethalia on level 6 are insanely powerful and overpowered, so I made it hard to reach such as a high level. Getting level 6 needs a lot of planning, but it should be worth it. Efraim has both melee and ranged berserk attack and Lethalia is pretty strong too. They have no unusual AMLA, I wasn't skilled enough then, it is only in chapters 2 and 3. They have usually about 7 improvements to choose when they level up.
As for me, yeah, it's worth of it though I only managed Efraim to reach level 6 at the end of last scenario but final asskicking has been some fun as a reward and enemies were doomed at this point anyway, so it's not really changed things too much for me but allowed to have some fun :D
2. Interesting idea. I pawned all the orcs with lancers and elvish archers and sylphs and did not miss her really. Like in chess, if you have rooks and bishops, you do not need the queen so much. But if you do think it is disappointing, I might make the elvish army get under your control in turn 3. What do you say about it?
As for me it sounds nice, though :). Actually, AI just does not plays smart enough. It does not attempts to distract some forces to save Delly or loses units too fast and fails to distract enemies. AI can't play well with units like Lethalia and uses them in wrong ways. And Delly side itself plays not very smart as well, so I lost 2 or 3 times because AI stupidly attacks lvl 3 troll with Delly at night, receives payback and when I end turn, AI finishes Delly and me loses. That's not really fair since I can't be guilty in that AI plays like an idiot. With 2 sides under control there are more chances to distract enough enemies from city defense so they're unable to get in, at least in huge amounts, though it's still tricky not to get Delly killed under some circumstances.
I am happy you liked my campaign and thanks for helping to solve the error finally.
Well, now about Part 2 :)
1) I can see Lethalia's XP for AMLA does not increases after advance but Efraim's one increases. I don't know if this bug or feature (I selected Lethalia as leader at the begin of Part2). I expected both characters to AMLA in similar ways in this regard. Is this a wrong expectation?

2) On "Gods" map, player does not loses scenario when "one who knows more about gods" (white mage) killed by trolls. So player can erroneously win scenario in "standard" way ("defeat all enemy leaders"). Once there is no speaker unit left, this results in weird monologue (phrases of white mage just omitted so overall dialog looks weird enough). I suspect this is a bug: for me it looked like Efraim asks TROLL LEADER if he knows more about gods :mrgreen:. I has been surprised enough to take a look into scenario code and discover that I only seen a half of dialogue.

3) AI plays very dumb with this mage and dies fast... maybe it should be made a leader and AI should be tweaked to value it's leader?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Version 1.02 change log:

Code: Select all

In the Battle for Ogira scenario, Lethalia' units go under player's control in turn 4.
In the Battle for Ogira and Gods scenarios, Jacob and Delly are much harder to hit.
In the Gods scenario, Jacob's death is considered as defeat.
I haven't seen bugs in campaigns due to such reasons, ever .
You haven't seen my internet connection.
2) I see there are 2 more parts . Have you seen Invasion from the Unknown? They're starting second part of campaign from first part. So player could either start 2nd part from scratch OR continue playing from 1st part. As for me it looks like a good idea to do the same here as well. I really like how this implemented in IFTU campaign.
I have never seen it. I did not even know that there is a way to start a campaign with units from another campaign. But I think it is better in my campaign to start from scratch, because I've changed a lot in chapter 3 (all units have AMLA there, are automatically recalled and their cost is ten times higher).
1) I can see Lethalia's XP for AMLA does not increases after advance but Efraim's one increases. I don't know if this bug or feature (I selected Lethalia as leader at the begin of Part2). I expected both characters to AMLA in similar ways in this regard. Is this a wrong expectation?
Weird, in my saves, their maximum XP was increasing. In the last scenario, Lethalia had 250 max XP and Efraim had 180 max XP. I will work on it, maybe there is something I changed after playing it.
2) On "Gods" map, player does not loses scenario when "one who knows more about gods" (white mage) killed by trolls. So player can erroneously win scenario in "standard" way ("defeat all enemy leaders"). Once there is no speaker unit left, this results in weird monologue (phrases of white mage just omitted so overall dialog looks weird enough). I suspect this is a bug: for me it looked like Efraim asks TROLL LEADER if he knows more about gods . I has been surprised enough to take a look into scenario code and discover that I only seen a half of dialogue.

3) AI plays very dumb with this mage and dies fast... maybe it should be made a leader and AI should be tweaked to value it's leader?
The dialogue problem was solved. I just forgot that he can die. And the AI was tweaked, but it did not help. I made him blessed by gods, so that he is much harder to kill.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

hello? does somebody remember this forum?
i have proplems in the 3 Part of the campaign when i had won the 11 Scenario it cant load the 12 scenario
i am using for the campaign the version 1.8.5 and hopes that the campaign also will be on the add on server from 1.9.6 avaible
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

i have also tried to kill all orcs in the scenario but the scenario didnt load also
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I am making a new version actually (well, just some minor changes and error corrections), and I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about that.

If you use 1.9.5, you can download the add-ons manually, unpack them and move them to the wesnoth add-ons folder (I do not know which OS you use, so you will have to find it yourself). Download it from here http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.8/ .

Anyway, 1.9.5 offers much more features than 1.8.5, so it will take me some time to rebuild it. I will add a new chapter as well (I will probably release 4 new chapters this summer, I have the plots ready, just need to program it). But I will not have too much time till July.

I am glad you made it so far.

EDIT: The objective is to move to the western border of the map, not killing the orcs. And that works.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I ran into a huge trouble - my wesnoth doesn't work, reinstallation does not help, always some unexpected characters at line end. It still worked before I finished a new version, that is mostly focused on chapter 2.

Code: Select all

Legend of the Invincibles v1.03 changes

Lethalia's exp needed to lvl up in chapter 2 now increases with level.
In chapter 2, both leaders' maximum hp increases when they level-up (because feeding don't work on undead, that is your most common enemy).
In chapter 2, Efraim is much stronger, because his dagger mastery is not so useful against undead. He should be more equal to Lethalia there.
In chapter 2, scenario 10, Delly is not attacking Umbra suicidally and making it unplayable sometimes. If she dies anyway, she gets petrified and will stay immobile and impossible to attack instead, so she will not make you lose.
Improved grammar.
Each chapter has its own picture under descriptive text instead of using a core profile picture of a unit. (I am not sure whether this works, the picture might not appear. I could not verify it.)
My campaign is not the cause of my trouble, because deleting it and reinstalling the whole thing did not help.

Next changes will be for Wesnoth 1.9.5 probably. Except bug fixes.

EDIT: I installed it as a windows application and I managed managed to publish it. Unfortunately, the chapter pictures don't work, and I don't know why, because I lost too much of my skill due to the time of my inactivity. A help would be welcome. I just don't know how to write the address properly.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

in "ruins of lost empires" is a typo
at the beginning when they talk what to do, Efraim says "...how can we find without fighting theuir their huge..."
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks. A weird thing is that I was checking the whole thing not long ago and I did not see it. It shall be corrected in the next version, or just reuploaded.

By the way, there is also a typo in the name of the third chapter and no one reported it.