Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

dwarftough

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dwarftough »

Beavor wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 10:47 pm I had a question: Is there any way to see the stats of a unit after they've been changed by equipment & AMLAs? The unit description show only the base stats.
Hi! LotI has a custom menu for stats, click the "Items" menu of the unit of interest and there choose the button "Unit description".

Also (not LotI specific) you can view resistances of the unit hovering your mouse over HP of the unit in the right bar
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
dabber

Post by dabber »

There are many paths to leveling your main characters. You can have fun with any of them. I personally find the absolute most powerful is achieved by mostly sticking with basic advancements, which means sword and knife for Efraim. Redeem advancements of weapons, absorb and cold resistance support that. But my power building is different than most, as I focus almost entirely on the enemy turn. Except for demon lords, beelzebub, and other similar power bosses, I expect to kill all enemies on their turn, not mine.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

But my power building is different than most, as I focus almost entirely on the enemy turn.
I have the same strategy. I dont think you can play inferno otherway than this...
I usually also use impact resistance penetration reedem advancement, as I am usually using marrowrend sword, and marrowrend knife.

Also I usually spend first two-three advancement for legacies. They start cheaper than normal advancement, but after two times, they starts to get cheaper. If it is really valuable legacy I might even take it whole (but as soon as possible).
Beavor

Post by Beavor »

dwarftough wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 12:24 am
Beavor wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 10:47 pm I had a question: Is there any way to see the stats of a unit after they've been changed by equipment & AMLAs? The unit description show only the base stats.
Hi! LotI has a custom menu for stats, click the "Items" menu of the unit of interest and there choose the button "Unit description".

Also (not LotI specific) you can view resistances of the unit hovering your mouse over HP of the unit in the right bar
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
Beavor

Post by Beavor »

dabber wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm There are many paths to leveling your main characters. You can have fun with any of them. I personally find the absolute most powerful is achieved by mostly sticking with basic advancements, which means sword and knife for Efraim. Redeem advancements of weapons, absorb and cold resistance support that. But my power building is different than most, as I focus almost entirely on the enemy turn. Except for demon lords, beelzebub, and other similar power bosses, I expect to kill all enemies on their turn, not mine.
I have the same plan, actually. I'm just not sure whether to take the berserk advancements. In part 1 they were really useful against high hp bosses like beelzebub, but much less so against Akula's tentacles.

Also, why go for cold resistance specifically?
dabber

Post by dabber »

I go for cold resistance because I find cold demons both 1) the most likely to kill someone and 2) they slow which reduces killing other demons. If you push your resistance high enough, you can persuade the cold demons to attack with melee. Among other equipment, I have Efraim wearing Heart of Ice for ranged slow and cold resistance, and few enemies attack him with their ranged attack.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

ZIM wrote: May 13th, 2021, 3:45 am Hello, i want to report a bug,

in the tutorial, after making the twinkling sword, we are told to unequip it, but i can't seem find the button for that. Am I missing something or is it a bug?
Bug. I saw this as well. With the caveat that this is the first time I've ever even looked at lua, the problem sure seems to be in lua/inventory/storage.lua in this part:

Code: Select all

if not item_sort == "limited" and not item_sort == "potion" then
                        wesnoth.set_dialog_visible(true, "unequip")
If changed to the following it seems to work as designed:

if item_sort ~= "limited" and item_sort ~= "potion" then
Note, I checked and this was broken on 1.14.15, 1.15.12 and 1.15.13. The "fix" above is only tested on 1.15.12/13. Also I don't have any potions or limited items right now to test against. I took a book and a potion, and I can see them in the unit information/inventory, but I am no longer able to drop them (it's likely the code above was added due to a bug I had reported recently where you could use a book and then drop it).

P.S. Efraim, after 7 AMLAs (but still at level two) now cannot level (XP= -) but all potions he has taken, including the one from the tutorial, show up as "in effect" in Unit Information.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: June 4th, 2021, 8:27 pm the problem sure seems to be in lua/inventory/storage.lua in this part:

if not item_sort == "limited" and not item_sort == "potion" then
Afaik this line is in the nighty version, not stable, right? It has just been corrected, but in a different way, using parentheses (though ~= might be even better actually)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I think that parses as (not item_sort) == "limited" and (not item_sort) == "potion", which will always be false because not can only ever return true or false.

Adding parentheses around the equality is fine, but I'd recommend using ~= instead.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
white_haired_uncle

dwarftough: Definitely nightly, not sure about stable (didn't look).

Celtic_Minstrel: I tried different ways of parsing that line (short of RTFM on order of operations besides a quick glance), and I have to say I did not see that one. On the very rare occasion I do any coding, I tend to be a little verbose with the parens for just this sort of reason.

In a recent nightly build, on 1.15.12, I want to disable retaliation, which results in a lua error in the attached save.

As an aside, this is the only area I've ever used disable retaliation. I've thought of some theories about why one might use it (like putting Stormrider on the front line with his wicked burn foes -- and maybe a frost area if possible -- but not wanting him to get killed in one of those scenarios where the AI throws/sacrifices dozens of troops against one unit, losing all but the last), but in practice I'm left wondering if this feature was put in place specifically for this scenario.

That or I'm just playing it wrong.

One other thing, the next scenario. I have never seen it not have an option to fight BZB. I'm reasonably certain I'm not supposed to be able to at this point in this saved game. Is the BZB check different (and broken) for the following scenario (Invasion)?

I take it back, more than one. I've seen this a number of times/games. Why are Eraim's weapon attacks stuck on fire? I've tried dropping everything, picking up things that are supposed to set them to cold/etc, but nothing works.
Attachments
LotI1-Dealing with Trolls-Auto-Save1.gz
(654.27 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
wesnoth-20210608-144158-3908.log
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

white_haired_uncle wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:07 pm As an aside, this is the only area I've ever used disable retaliation. I've thought of some theories about why one might use it (like putting Stormrider on the front line with his wicked burn foes -- and maybe a frost area if possible -- but not wanting him to get killed in one of those scenarios where the AI throws/sacrifices dozens of troops against one unit, losing all but the last), but in practice I'm left wondering if this feature was put in place specifically for this scenario.
Disable retaliation works for single weapons right? I believe Dugi originally wrote that for me some years back; specifically because my shammie tended to die in sx games when she chose to deal more damage in retaliation instead of using her slowing attack to save her hide. So the general idea is to exchange less dmg on the enemy's turn; if that includes not killing the hostile units with retal and thus limiting the number of attacks on one unit like Stormrider that would work too.
I have a cunning plan.
white_haired_uncle

Thanks nuorc.

I'm playing Any Means Necessary, and I just noticed Efraim's furious attack is missing. Attached are the last turn where he had it, and the first turn where it disappears. Actually, I just checked and the stuff is missing in Lost in Space as well. I had to "debug :n" out of The Library or else Lost in Space ended in defeat as Lethalia was not recalled, FWIW.

Hmm, looks like all his gear is gone as well. That's not very nice. And that 135 lost HP will be missed. And all his advancements (at least his max XP seems pretty low, maybe I can get them back).

Beta version a few days old, 1.15.12.
Attachments
LotI1-Any Means Necessary-Auto-Save1.gz
(725.47 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
LotI1-The Kingslayer-Auto-Save11.gz
(763.41 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Last edited by white_haired_uncle on June 9th, 2021, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fravolous

Post by fravolous »

Game seriously broken with last nightly update. After leveling characters lose their weapons. When changing gear during the first turn characters lose their weapons. And can't get them back! Eliminating dropping and reusing books, okay, i get it, but losing the ability to drop weapons to the ground seemed wrong, and if this latest build is an attempt to fix that, it's gone very wrong.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

nuorc wrote: June 9th, 2021, 10:55 am

Disable retaliation works for single weapons right?
Afaik i used disable for any number of attacks, it should work flawlessly even if you decide to turn off all attacks
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

fravolous wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm Game seriously broken with last nightly update. After leveling characters lose their weapons. When changing gear during the first turn characters lose their weapons. And can't get them back! Eliminating dropping and reusing books, okay, i get it, but losing the ability to drop weapons to the ground seemed wrong, and if this latest build is an attempt to fix that, it's gone very wrong.
That's another update that broke it, unrelated to dropping books, but yeah, units can't equip weapons when loaded from save.