Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

@Whiskeyjack
Maybe I could throw a poll on that some time later.

Post by musicc »

That would work.

[quote=Dugi post_id=631415 time=1532414053 user_i
@musicc
It's intentional that some legacies are useless to the one who gets it. What I might do is to alter the Celestial Messenger or Legacy of Light so that they would give less similar bonuses.
[/quote]
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

I actually like that some legacies are useless...
I mean... It's a lottery, no? Sometimes you get something super useful, sometimes you don't and sometimes you get something absolute useless *shrug*
jimis

Post by jimis »

Here are some things that could be improved, from a newcomer's point of view. Nitpicks mostly, as I'm enjoying Legend of the Invincibles very much.
  • Sometimes units in the recall list keep being GEARED after I remove the gear from the main menu without recalling them.
  • If Beelzebub is killed as the last enemy standing in a scenario, all items dropped are lost.
  • What is Beelzebub's level? How much XP is Beelzebub supposed to give when he dies? Is it supposed to be LEVEL*8 ? There is a possibility there is some miscalculation here, but I need to verify this once I meet him again. :-)
  • Sometimes I like playing RPG-style: I send my hero, well equipped, alone to fulfil the mission. The enemies are circling him from all sides, but they mostly do not strike, they just obstruct his movement. As a result he is extremely slow to move, killing one opponent each time and taking his place. It is like the enemies are stalling on purpose because they know that they always win when maximum turns are reached.
    • What I would expect is to have my hero attacked frantically. Especially when he is the king, and defeating him would give them instant victory.
  • I use the "whirlwind" attack many times to kill many enemies that have circled my hero. The problem is that the soul-eater score only gets increased by one, no matter how many opponents die around him.
  • As I mentioned before, it's amazing how Loti is stressing the limits of the Wesnoth game engine, but unfortunately it can also be annoying. For example the inventory management system is painful. Native support for inventory would immensely improve the overall experience.
  • A unit's special description should be readable in the standard description window ('d' keypress) directly with no interactive menus.
  • ESC button only works sometimes in the special menus, on some menus it does not go back or exit (EDITed for typo) as expected, thus requiring tedious mouse clicks on "do nothing" entry. For example the main menu brought up with shift-i or the inventory menu with all the items stored.
Let me know if you prefer to have github issues submitted, it might help to keep track better than this huge forum topic. Thank you for the outstanding effort put in this game!
Last edited by jimis on August 8th, 2018, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rumsztyk

Post by rumsztyk »

I have noticed after a few missions that my preserved lich Efraim and Lethalia are missing their legacies I picked before their transformation. Is that a bug?
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

I think "mass destruction" attacks are supposed to give xp/souls just for the enemy that was actually attacked
Think it was in the FAQ? Not sure...

And in the second part I actually walk through the desert only with Efraim since I don't want to lose my veterans, the enemies surround me a few times and then fall to my powers
I do however remember Efraim just getting surrounded during his nightmare, think that was because he was close to leveling up?

The only bug I encountered so far was that in the second part I had Lethalia wearing a staff before she found her own and then the staffs both vanished...
I noticed it after reuniting with her, so I could not exactly reload the level where I lost her unique staff =w="
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That's why I always unequip them before ending that scenario. xD
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

rumsztyk wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:01 pm I have noticed after a few missions that my preserved lich Efraim and Lethalia are missing their legacies I picked before their transformation. Is that a bug?
They're completely new units, so no.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amSometimes units in the recall list keep being GEARED after I remove the gear from the main menu without recalling them.
I think I have fixed this recently. If you are still encountering it, please upload a save file where it can be reliably replicated.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amIf Beelzebub is killed as the last enemy standing in a scenario, all items dropped are lost.
How does this happen? You kill other enemy leaders while he is there?
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amWhat is Beelzebub's level? How much XP is Beelzebub supposed to give when he dies?
His level and properties are adjusted depending on the scenario. The experience is eight times level as usual.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amSometimes I like playing RPG-style: I send my hero, well equipped, alone to fulfil the mission.
Because he is about to level up and the attack would heal him. The AI code is not a part of this campaign.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amI use the "whirlwind" attack many times to kill many enemies that have circled my hero. The problem is that the soul-eater score only gets increased by one, no matter how many opponents die around him.
His soul stomach is not big enough to consume so many souls at once.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amFor example the inventory management system is painful. Native support for inventory would immensely improve the overall experience.
Wesnoth's GUI system does not allow dragging objects. That can't be done, unfortunately.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amA unit's special description should be readable in the standard description window ('d' keypress) directly with no interactive menus.
Add-ons cannot control the window that opens when D is pressed. Only the unit's description text can be set.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amESC button only works sometimes in the special menus, on some menus it does not go back or exit as expected, thus requiring tedious mouse clicks on "do nothing" entry.
I think something could be done with this one.
rumsztyk wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:01 pm I have noticed after a few missions that my preserved lich Efraim and Lethalia are missing their legacies I picked before their transformation. Is that a bug?
No, they are undead and thus have no legacies.
SpiderAja wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:41 pmI think "mass destruction" attacks are supposed to give xp/souls just for the enemy that was actually attacked
This was long ago. I changed it since then.
SpiderAja wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:41 pmThe only bug I encountered so far was that in the second part I had Lethalia wearing a staff before she found her own and then the staffs both vanished...
I noticed it after reuniting with her, so I could not exactly reload the level where I lost her unique staff =w="
Konrad2 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:20 pm That's why I always unequip them before ending that scenario. xD
Does that always happen?
jimis

Post by jimis »

Thanks for the comments, just clarifying more on some.
Dugi wrote: August 8th, 2018, 1:27 pm
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amSometimes units in the recall list keep being GEARED after I remove the gear from the main menu without recalling them.
I think I have fixed this recently. If you are still encountering it, please upload a save file where it can be reliably replicated.
I'll check again. Generally I stopped messing around with units in the recall list after experiencing the bug, so haven't seen happening it maybe for a month.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amIf Beelzebub is killed as the last enemy standing in a scenario, all items dropped are lost.
How does this happen? You kill other enemy leaders while he is there?
Yes, I spawned Beelzebub near the end of the battle (to avoid distraction), and in general killing him takes many turns and is super hard, while killing the enemy leaders is piece of cake in comparison.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amSometimes I like playing RPG-style: I send my hero, well equipped, alone to fulfil the mission.
Because he is about to level up and the attack would heal him. The AI code is not a part of this campaign.
I noticed it in an episode of the 1st chapter, where I had to traverse a long vertical map with my hero. It happened all the time for sure, not only when he was about to level up - I remember because it was so slow it was impossible to make it to the bottom, and I had to replay with more units recalled to do many kills. I presume at that point the the enemies where too low-powered, so the AI decided not to risk at all. In the 2nd chapter that enemies are "special" with much better defences and attacks, I see they attack me with less hesitations.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amI use the "whirlwind" attack many times to kill many enemies that have circled my hero. The problem is that the soul-eater score only gets increased by one, no matter how many opponents die around him.
His soul stomach is not big enough to consume so many souls at once.
Heh, I was really sad seeing this "expensive" attack not increase the soul-eater score.
jimis wrote: August 7th, 2018, 3:13 amA unit's special description should be readable in the standard description window ('d' keypress) directly with no interactive menus.
Add-ons cannot control the window that opens when D is pressed. Only the unit's description text can be set.
I thought so, I mentioned it as a game-engine limitation. As a workaround, is it possible to bind shift-D directly to the "special description"?

And a new one: When you want to buy multiple items from a trader, you have to move back and forth to re-activate the menu. Or is there a better way to activate the trader menu other than moving around? Maybe it can be triggered just by using the "pick items on the ground" menu command when being on a square next to the trader?

Again, I'm thoroughly enjoying the campaign, I'm just writing down few notes as I go, on things that I feel are off. Honestly Loti feels like an amazing new game running on the wrong game engine. :-)
stribor

Post by stribor »

I have registered just to ask for help. I am stuck in hell (literally :) ). Can not find Execrable sanctum. IT says that I also did not found yet pillar of continuum alteration. This is possible if this was in the bottom of the map that closes the walls. In that map demons showed up which resulted in all of my characters moving to the middle and after that the wall was closed and closed for eternity. I did saw entrances in Execrable sanctum few times before that event, but never after (+ the walls are permanently sealed). Is there an alteration to save file that I could do so that I open the doors next time I enter or to find a path to Exe.sanct.??? I lost 2 weeks just wondering around - god for experience but boring like hell .. Version of wesnoth is 1.12.6
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

jimis wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:47 pmYes, I spawned Beelzebub near the end of the battle (to avoid distraction), and in general killing him takes many turns and is super hard, while killing the enemy leaders is piece of cake in comparison.
I see what is the problem. I will need to think about a good solution for this problem.
jimis wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:47 pmI remember because it was so slow it was impossible to make it to the bottom, and I had to replay with more units recalled to do many kills.
The AI is a part of wesnoth's code, so I have little control over it. But it pretty much serves the purpose. If they cannot kill you, they try to obstruct you and prevent you from reaching your goal.
jimis wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:47 pmHeh, I was really sad seeing this "expensive" attack not increase the soul-eater score.
might change it, but I am not sure if it is a good idea.
jimis wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:47 pmWhen you want to buy multiple items from a trader, you have to move back and forth to re-activate the menu. Or is there a better way to activate the trader menu other than moving around? Maybe it can be triggered just by using the "pick items on the ground" menu command when being on a square next to the trader?
It might cause you to loop through the trader menu until you choose to leave, that isn't a big problem.
jimis wrote: August 9th, 2018, 11:47 pmHonestly Loti feels like an amazing new game running on the wrong game engine. :-)
I have tried to make a similar game on a custom game engine, it's even somewhat playable, but it was taking too much time.
stribor wrote: August 13th, 2018, 9:34 amCan not find Execrable sanctum.
You have to find the Pillar of Continuum's Alteration, otherwise you will have huge problems to find it. One of the ways to get to the Pillar is to go near the southern border of the Sepulcher of the Nefarious.
jimis

Post by jimis »

Sometimes units in the recall list keep being GEARED after I remove the gear from the main menu without recalling them.
This happened again, I unequipped almost all items from the units on the recall list, then I tried to recall some units and they all appear as GEARED. If you need my save file to reproduce, can you PM me your email address or another private way to send it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

jimis wrote: August 21st, 2018, 6:35 pmThis happened again, I unequipped almost all items from the units on the recall list, then I tried to recall some units and they all appear as GEARED. If you need my save file to reproduce, can you PM me your email address or another private way to send it?
You can attach it to a PM or to a forum post. There should be a tab bar somewhere the text insertion area and there should be an 'attachements' tab.

_______

Meanwhile, I have fixed the issue with campaign image on the add-ons server that was missing the picture of an Elvish Sylph.
jimis

Post by jimis »

Dugi wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 5:41 am You can attach it to a PM or to a forum post. There should be a tab bar somewhere the text insertion area and there should be an 'attachements' tab.
Attached the file in a PM, thanks! For the sake of completion, I should mention that while running wesnoth I get all kinds of errors/warnings on the console.I guess most are unrelated, but here they are anyway, one of each kind:

Code: Select all

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

20180822 03:30:26 warning help: Found a section generator that I didn't recognize: units:

20180822 03:31:49 error engine: failed to auto-store $second_unit at (-999,-999)

20180822 03:29:03 error engine: failed to auto-store $unit at (0,0)

20180822 03:32:14 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'animate' discarded.

20180822 03:39:17 warning engine: attempt to filter attack for an event with no attack data.

20180822 02:05:43 warning engine: Addon version data mismatch -- not all local WML has same version of 'Legend_of_the_Invincibles' addon.

20180821 19:22:03 error gui/layout: grid [] place: Failed to place a grid, we have 210,18 space but we need 221,18 space. This happened at a grid with the id '' in a 'N4gui214tree_view_nodeE' with the id '' in a 'N4gui29tree_viewE' with the id 'type_details' in a 'N4gui24gridE' with the id '' in a 'N4gui217unit_preview_paneE' with the id 'unit_details' in a 'N4gui24gridE' with the id '' in a 'N4gui24gridE' with the id '_window_content_grid' in a 'N4gui24gridE' with the id '_content_grid' in a 'N4gui215scrollbar_panelE' with the id '' in a 'N4gui24gridE' with the id '' in a 'N4gui26windowE' with the id 'unit_recall'.
The most frequent are of the "failed to auto-store" kind.