Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Richard

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Richard »

Thoroughly enjoying playing this campaign and its associates!

A couple of questions: 1) The Orcish Warmongers: a) Are they supposed to the Lesser Evisceration advancement? They have the advancement which grants Warlord's Rule which comes after 'leadership'. One thought is that 'evisceration3' kicks in after 'leadership2_bloodthirst', but if that is the case then is it likely that there was a mislabelling?
b) doom2: Under increase attacks it is set to 5 and increase damage to 15... Basically after the cycle of 3 doom iterations according to the code increased damage by 45 and increased attacks by 15? I have a feeling that that is not right....

Nightblades: After advancing to the knife-berserk attack, are you supposed to lose the benefit of whichever knife you have equipped? Because I am, for example in one run through I had a Nightblade named Pridash with the Nightstalker dagger, Shredder knife and Soul Hunter claws. I advanced to the arcane enchanted knives that was cool and then when the berserk ranged attack became avaliable I went for it and then discovered that everything to do with Shredder no longer worked with the unit following the advancement.

Side note: I love the time and work which has been spent in building all the items and the legacies. Some of the combinations which can result are particularly nasty (I currently have a Duelist Wizard, Elder Mage, Elvish Seer and Warlock named after the staffs you have named: Kerathur, Aimcasur, Circe and Ashen, working on Koschei)
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

The blood rain in the demon's homeland is getting very out of control. It starts getting really bad around turn 25 for me and ends up covering the whole map and stacking 2 to 3 times. This making scenarios like the gathering alcove impossible because I can't get through without just rushing towards the exit as fast as I can or I risk getting blocked by huge amounts of enemies and only able do small amounts of damage
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Cashcam24 wrote:The blood rain in the demon's homeland is getting very out of control. It starts getting really bad around turn 25 for me and ends up covering the whole map and stacking 2 to 3 times. This making scenarios like the gathering alcove impossible because I can't get through without just rushing towards the exit as fast as I can or I risk getting blocked by huge amounts of enemies and only able do small amounts of damage
I agree, blood rain is difficult to handle. Wrath and berserk are necessary.
My Efraim has the Orb of Wrath and the fury attack.
My Lethalia started with Fowleri's Chopper and a Mask of Insanity. Now, with an axe of Dugi's Wrath, she is even more deadly.
And my Dwarvish Battlerager with a Fowleri's Chopper is deadly too.

I just have finished to kill Lilith in Foul Pits, on turn 44, and the combination of blood rain, succubi/incubi and Shadow Hounds make it quite difficult... but my main complaint is that the picture showing the blood rain does not really show which are the seven hexes where the rain hits the units.
I have replaced the original picture with the attached one.

PS: because wrath is so important, I never use the ranged attacks of Efraim or Lethalia; even a 27-9 faerie fire with spell suck 5 is not as interesting as a berserk attack. However, the focused, firststrike, slow, drain, spell suck 5 gossamer is very useful when defending.
Attachments
bloodrain-star.png
bloodrain-star.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I have a quick question about the "secret" that is supposed to be revealed somewhere at the end of chapter 9: In the interface help, it says one should beat a specific scenario with the same computer and BfW version as the rest of the campaign. Is that absolutely necessary? I play on two different computers (desktop and laptop), and since I took a long break at some point, I might also have upgraded to a new Wesnoth version (and quite a few LotI versions). Will it not work in that case, and if so, is there another way to get it?

Just to chime in on the blood rain: The main issue I have with it is that it seems to slow down the game a lot once there are many of them. I finished Foul Pits at maybe turn 30 or something (don't quite remember) and it was pretty laggy at that point. Related to this is the fact that it is quite annoying to wait while the game cycles through all the blood rains and does 5-8 damage each time to units below it. Maybe one could try to have different versions of blood rain, so it can be upgraded to a more deadly version instead of just stacking more and more on top of each other? And maybe it could be toned down slightly for scenarios which typically take longer, like Foul Pits. To be honest, I think it would make even more sense to not have blood rain altogether in caves, because, well, they're caves.
Also, as mentioned by Ashes, it could be clearer which hexes are affected.

One question for people mentioning Dugi's Wrath: Did you go out of your way to collect the gems needed, or were you just lucky? I am about to enter the keep-protected region in Inferno, and have about 8 black pearl / amethyst / sapphire. I don't think I used any black pearls so far.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi Dugi! so, i found a good sprite for Prophet:
prophet.png
prophet.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
and i made a female portrait (brighter skin, and made the eyebrows a tiny bit thinner):
paladin+female.png
paladin+female.png (275.32 KiB) Viewed 5430 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Xargon wrote:I have a quick question about the "secret" that is supposed to be revealed somewhere at the end of chapter 9: In the interface help, it says one should beat a specific scenario with the same computer and BfW version as the rest of the campaign. Is that absolutely necessary? I play on two different computers (desktop and laptop), and since I took a long break at some point, I might also have upgraded to a new Wesnoth version (and quite a few LotI versions). Will it not work in that case, and if so, is there another way to get it?
The information is stored in a dugi_loti.cfg which is in the persistent configuration of BfW.
You can simply copy this file when you copy your save file.
Xargon wrote:One question for people mentioning Dugi's Wrath: Did you go out of your way to collect the gems needed, or were you just lucky? I am about to enter the keep-protected region in Inferno, and have about 8 black pearl / amethyst / sapphire. I don't think I used any black pearls so far.
I play of HARD difficulty, which gives more monsters to kill, and I bought one black pearl to a trader.
Currently, just after Foul Pits, I have 5 black pearls left (not counting the 10 that allowed me to forge a Dugi's Wrath), 14 sapphires, 34 amethysts, 54 emeralds, ... and 200 of the four most common gems, because I have transmuted the excess.
But I kill every monster at each level, including all the plants of inferno (by redeeming them).
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

ForestDragon wrote:and i made a female portrait (brighter skin, and made the eyebrows a tiny bit thinner):
paladin+female.png
Eh, that face still looks male to me. I'm also not confident that changing just the face is sufficient to make it female.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

Ashes wrote:
The information is stored in a dugi_loti.cfg which is in the persistent configuration of BfW.
You can simply copy this file when you copy your save file.

I play of HARD difficulty, which gives more monsters to kill, and I bought one black pearl to a trader.
Currently, just after Foul Pits, I have 5 black pearls left (not counting the 10 that allowed me to forge a Dugi's Wrath), 14 sapphires, 34 amethysts, 54 emeralds, ... and 200 of the four most common gems, because I have transmuted the excess.
But I kill every monster at each level, including all the plants of inferno (by redeeming them).
Thanks! I will have to compare the two files at some point. I suppose it's just the part about secret_x=1?
Also, that's a lot of gems! I play on normal, but I usually kill all enemies as well (except for infinitely respawning ones, of course). After visiting Where the Hatred Grows for the first time, I got tired of redeeming (or otherwise killing) the plants, though. Maybe you killed many more enemies...
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

(Sorry for the double post, I just realized that editing a new question into my post is a bad strategy)

Can someone give me a hint on the secret that's supposed to be hidden in the Stronhold of Tears, according to the opening dialog? Basically the only thing I noticed in that level is that killing the one enemy leader removed the demon portals (not redeeming him, though) - not sure if this was the case in other levels.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Xargon wrote:Maybe you killed many more enemies...
Currently, my kill count is 12690. And I recently got a 6th black pearl. I am saving black pearls to make a Dugi's Wrath knife for Efraim.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I see. Mine is 7144. That plus some luck with drops (or a better droprate on hard?) might agree with the numbers.

I am still wondering whether I missed something in the Stronghold of Tears... hopefully it will at least be possible to find it on a revisit.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I finished LotI! :D
(I believe for the third time.)

Dugi wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:Even if undead can keep up in stats (which might be true, I don´t think I had high end undeads with 20+ advancements), they are missing an essential part of what makes LotI fun and interesting (as I said, they have only two of the 3 layers (3 of the 4, if you consider books yet another)).
Not everyone cares about legacies as you do. Or am I wrong?
I do care about the legacies, and I do think the undead are boring. If I got nothing else that can fly I take some ghosts, but due to their gear-limitations and their lack of a legacy I don't think they're much fun to advance and I usually ditch them when I get some other fliers. I don't care for anything with bones or their advancements. Ancient Liches don't have these limitations and I like to have one (pair) around. (Except for that one that had the Legacy of Light... :annoyed: )

Xargon wrote:I am still wondering whether I missed something in the Stronghold of Tears... hopefully it will at least be possible to find it on a revisit.
I just had a look at my last visit and revisit to the Stronghold of Tears: you don't necessarily have to go back there, as it shares its secret with two other locations...
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

nuorc wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
edit: Wicked Barony had no enemy leaders for me. Is this just because I killed the leaders in surrounding areas before?
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Xargon wrote: edit: Wicked Barony had no enemy leaders for me. Is this just because I killed the leaders in surrounding areas before?
There should be five enemy leaders, plus a great villain (Demon Lord). But they are shared with Domain of Disaster and Pandemonium. If you kill them in one of these areas, they won't appear in the other.
To gain lots of experience and gems, you need to avoid killing the enemy leaders: every time you enter the level, they get gold and recruit a lot. I guess that this is not what Dugi wanted, and that a future version of LotI will memorise the remaining gold of each enemy boss (and also probably the blood rain status, because it is reset too).
Xargon

Post by Xargon »

I'm not patient enough to kill all the demons over and over again... to be honest, I think chapter 9 stretches way too long anyway, fighting the same enemies over and over again in scenarios which are mostly very similar. I haven't thought about suggestions to improve gameplay in this chapter, but I feel that it needs a lot more variety to really stay interesting.

Something else I ran into, possibly a bug: I have a faerie incarnation who, when giving her any book, makes the game lag like crazy. It is very weird, it happens with only one of my two faerie incarnations, and it doesn't go away on restarting Wesnoth or changing map. It is some problem with this unit, the game runs fine when she is not on the screen, but becomes super jittery as soon as she is there. I can provide a save file if this is not already known.