Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Ashes

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Ashes »

I got a "What no man should know" helmet.
Frostbite is not working, because of a typo (utils/abilities.cfg has id=forstbite).
And when I correct this typo, my unit takes 24 damage independently of its resistance to cold.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Question: Can you write me just one item, which has changed suck? I cant see any. I dont know if its bug, because my unit are wearing those weapons, or why.
I just noticed, that poisonous bow has no suck now, but I never used it.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Delicius169 wrote:Question: Can you write me just one item, which has changed suck? I cant see any. I dont know if its bug, because my unit are wearing those weapons, or why.
I just noticed, that poisonous bow has no suck now, but I never used it.
Dark Gloves of Destruction now have suck 1 instead of 3.
To change my existing items to the new value, I had to quit and relaunch Wesnoth, and to drop and take the items.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Possibly Bugs:
Cancer still poisons my undead unit Deathlord and he looses 8hp a round. And also cant be healed by healers, cause on each turn he gets poisoned again.
Snow hunter has no AMLA for Movement points.
Elvish seer and Evish incarnation cannt wear Spiritual essences.
-----------------
Question: I suggested improving of two leaders (page 314)- Elvish Marshall (improving defense) and Lich king (aura of hunger/ or something based on healing) . It seems to be forgotten topic.
-----------------------
I really like Legacy of light now. And I still had no possibility to examine Legacy of Free.
One of the new armor seems to be very interesting.

And I finaly got into the 10. chapter, and already died in 10, round. But thank god, I got really cool item into the beginning- Tome of Bards II., so it ll be hard just for a while...
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Ashes wrote:Frostbite is not working, because of a typo (utils/abilities.cfg has id=forstbite).
And when I correct this typo, my unit takes 24 damage independently of its resistance to cold.
Fixed both. I have found two other occurrences of the second bug (damage ignoring resistance), I corrected those too.
Delicius169 wrote:Cancer still poisons my undead unit Deathlord and he looses 8hp a round. And also cant be healed by healers, cause on each turn he gets poisoned again.
Fixed.
Delicius169 wrote:Snow hunter has no AMLA for Movement points.
Not a bug, but he should have them. He has a maximum of 4 from now (after that I upload it).
Delicius169 wrote:Elvish seer and Evish incarnation cannt wear Spiritual essences.
According to my study, Incarnation isn't able to equip it at all and Seer can equip it but does not get its attack improved. Can you please confirm or reject this?
If that is correct, I have fixed it.
Delicius169 wrote:One of the new armor seems to be very interesting.
The stealing one?

Regarding the updating of effects:
Restarting wesnoth might not be necessary, but the scenario has to be ended and a new one has to be started. From then, any items that are equipped are updated to the new properties. Because most of the changes were negative, it might be a good idea not to unequip any items with the suck property.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:
Ashes wrote:The last version you uploaded has an unlimited scenarios3/14_Chasing_Dragons
I think that it had unlimited turns from version 1.0.0, but I changed it to 100 now.
I have run 400 turns of that scenario, which is very nice to level Efraim and Lethalia, because the dragons have aggression=1.0 which means that they come to die and provide XP to my leaders :D
But afterwards some scenarios become a bit awkward, because my leaders are so dangerous that the enemies come close to them but don't attack. For example scenarios3/15_Nightmare is quite funny, because Efraim is not attacked, he is surrounded by enemies and can move only because he has penetrate. It is not the nightmare that you intended, but it is a nightmare too ;)

This leads to a question: standard Wesnoth has an "early finish bonus" in gold, to avoid that the best way to maximise the gold is to occupy all villages and wait until the last turn to kill the leader. In LotI the experienced player should avoid to kill the bosses before the last turn, not for the gold, but for the XP and the items.
Would it be possible to add an "early finish bonus" which would be XP and items? The amount would be calculated to match the expected gain of the "farming" strategy. Of course, not every level should have such an early finish bonus (especially in chapter 9) and there should be some technique to split the bonus XP between units.

(edit)
Another question: why, in units/Efraim_lich.cfg, do we have max_times=2 for the AMLA with id=fear7?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

For example scenarios3/15_Nightmare is quite funny, because Efraim is not attacked, he is surrounded by enemies and can move only because he has penetrate.
Fixed. Can you please list more scenarios where this happens?
Would it be possible to add an "early finish bonus" which would be XP and items?
No, the exp farming is not a behaviour I endorse.
Another question: why, in units/Efraim_lich.cfg, do we have max_times=2 for the AMLA with id=fear7?
Probably an oversight. Set it to 1.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Burning Souls in the last Crusade now have bonkers hitpoints. I'm seeing over 800 hitpoints each. Except for a few Demon Lord trait sets, I would say Burning Souls are clearly more challenging than demon lords now, which cannot be right.

I believe the cause is making a Burning Soul takes the current stats and multiplies them, but the crusade recruit event is firing first, thus its additions get multiplied. From scanning WML documentation, I see no way to control the order of multiple recruit events. I tried moving around their placement in the scenario file, but that didn't work. Conceivably the burning soul event could be turned into a prerecruit event, but I don't like the idea of changing a universal function (burning souls) in order to fix one use of it (Last Crusade). My other idea is to change the crusade event away from a recruit event and to a turn event. Set a variable in each unit indicating if it has been upgraded, and then upgrade everyone at the start of player turn. As a side benefit, that would also catch the leaders and the portal spawns. What do you think?
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:
Would it be possible to add an "early finish bonus" which would be XP and items?
No, the exp farming is not a behaviour I endorse.
I think that the best way to avoid XP farming is to give an early finish XP bonus.
Farming will become useless.

by the way, there is another level with an infinite number of turns, scenarios4/07_Nemesis, but I think it cannot be used for XP farming. Argan is too aggressive and will suicide himself against Efraim's weapons.
Dugi wrote:
For example scenarios3/15_Nightmare is quite funny, because Efraim is not attacked, he is surrounded by enemies and can move only because he has penetrate.
Fixed. Can you please list more scenarios where this happens?
I am not sure this needs to be fixed everywhere. This issue arises because I have leveled Efraim by killing dragons during 400 turns. With the limitation at 100 turns, Efraim will not be so strong and enemies may be more aggressive.
Last edited by Ashes on September 16th, 2015, 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Early XP finish bonus- I dont like it- there were already a lot of problems with distributing XP- usually if lvl up with this, you gain no advancement. Now there is only one remaining bug with gaining experiences and no AMLA, and that s with the mind raid.
I do some XP farming only in Inferno, there are a lot of plants, and burning souls.

According to my study, Incarnation isn't able to equip it at all and Seer can equip it but does not get its attack improved. Can you please confirm or reject this?
If that is correct, I have fixed it.
I ll take a look on it tomorrow.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@dabber
I forgot about the issue and accidentally worsened it. Try this fix. It does not change the order of events, but gives a different modification to units that are to become Burning Souls. It should half the amount of hitpoints they have.
50_The_Last_Crusade.cfg
(31.75 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
@Ashes
The point is that I cannot imagine how would that be implemented.

In the Nemesis scenario it's fine because the fight with Argan can't be prolonged indefinitely.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Elvsih Seer- can carry weapon, but it doesnt affect her meele attack.

Last scenario- End of the world
Weird bug, some Black souls are normal human- adding save.
Also, couldnt the time I have to stand against Black souls be at least 24 rounds? On 12 rounds, they just started to be interesting.
And why they are just black souls of 1. and 2. lvl? Why not higher and therefore more dangerous? Its last scenario, in the end...

Legacy of free- adding Parry to ranged attack took away slow- is it intentional?
My goblin ravager cannt wear any weapon, it makes him quite week unit.
Attachments
LotI2-End_of_the_World-Automatické_uložení7.gz
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

Dugi wrote:In the Nemesis scenario it's fine because the fight with Argan can't be prolonged indefinitely.
I don't say it can't, but I could not make it last indefinitely!

Currently, I am stuck at scenarios4/08_An_Army_Is_Born
When I did it on EASY level, it was not difficult. Now on HARD level I cannot make enough kills. I don't know if it is because I am not playing well (I use whirlwind to reduce the HP of orcs, to make them killable by undeads, but my undeads end up killed by the orcs afterwards), or because of some changes in the AI.
By the way, the description says that we need to slay 50 orcs to win, but if we slay many orcs with whirlwind, it only counts for one kill.
Xellos

Post by Xellos »

Hi,
I found problem with Exterminator (this unit has Marksman special rule and AMLA to gain another Marksman).

also i had problem when my Efraim used Whirlwind Attack with Doombringer (attachment) against Demon Warrior lvl 7. Main target was killed by this attack.
Attachments
wesnoth.jpg
dabber

Post by dabber »

@Ashes and An Army Is Born
I had trouble with that too. When I got through it, the biggest change I made was making Lethalia faster, so she could get the first few kills sooner. That lets her build up several skeletons before the enemy can mass to kill them, which can be enough to maintain a supply of skeletons. I believe I also used her as an invulnerable killing machine several hexes away from the skeleton army, because that distracted orcs from killing skeletons in favor of suicidal attacks on her.