Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Dugi wrote:Did you know that you can edit your posts?
I just merged them. However, when you find something like that, you should use the Report Post button, instead of merely posting a message and hope that a moderator notices it.
Dugi wrote:
Ashes wrote:Would it be possible to give (read) access to the git/mercurial/other that you are using, to share the current development version of LotI?
No. I am using ext4 and it does not allow it.
What? Image
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:you should use the Report Post button, instead of merely posting a message and hope that a moderator notices it.
I did not want to disturb you and cause him trouble for breaking rules, just told him not to do it again.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:What?
I wrote it deliberately in an unclear way. ext4 is a type of filesystem used by Linux. I meant that I simply have it saved on my disk, nowhere else.
Malical

Post by Malical »

Quick question: Do the units in chapter 3 (got past 2 yay!) get added to the main list of recalls? Or is this a one off kinda thing?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

They are normal recallable units, they are just recalled automatically for free in chapter 3 for the extra cost.
dabber

Post by dabber »

That reminds me ... I've long wanted to request that chapter 3 auto-recall all loyal units, not just the ones hired there. I feel that makes sense, but I admit my original motivation was purely to use the Skeleton Dragon more.

On a more ambitious level, most of LotI makes a lot more sense bypassing the standard "pay money to recall units" mechanic anyway. Chapters 3, 5, and 9 already skip it. Base size of the auto-recall list would be like 6, and Efraim and Lethalia would have AMLAs to make it bigger (1 unit per AMLA, max 10 AMLAs per character).
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

dabber wrote:On a more ambitious level, most of LotI makes a lot more sense bypassing the standard "pay money to recall units" mechanic anyway. Chapters 3, 5, and 9 already skip it. Base size of the auto-recall list would be like 6, and Efraim and Lethalia would have AMLAs to make it bigger (1 unit per AMLA, max 10 AMLAs per character).
I´m not sure if I like this idea. If you don´t play the campaign for the third time you are almost certain to waste a couple AMLA points because there are just so many options for the two already and you will inevitably use some that emerge as incompatible with later options you find more alluring. If it´s a passive upgrade for every ~3rd levelup of the two that would be another matter, but I think they are overstuffed enough as it is. Another idea: Since you don´t lose any gold and do gather quite a lot over time in those arcs (especially Inferno) that you never get to use, how about an option to buy some more slots?
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

dabber wrote:That reminds me ... I've long wanted to request that chapter 3 auto-recall all loyal units, not just the ones hired there. I feel that makes sense, but I admit my original motivation was purely to use the Skeleton Dragon more.
Both times I played chapter 2, I have tried to use the Skeletal Dragon, and failed. Most other units have proven themselves more useful. Its main use has been to take distant villages, because it is flying!
And I could have paid 20 gold to recall the Skeletal Dragon for every scenario in chapter 3.
dabber wrote:On a more ambitious level, most of LotI makes a lot more sense bypassing the standard "pay money to recall units" mechanic anyway. Chapters 3, 5, and 9 already skip it. Base size of the auto-recall list would be like 6, and Efraim and Lethalia would have AMLAs to make it bigger (1 unit per AMLA, max 10 AMLAs per character).
I always have had enough gold to recall everyone I needed. I would not use these AMLA. I don't see why you would need them.

PS: sorry for the multiple post before.

PPS: I am beginning to try the multiplayer scenario "Hordes of the Other World", but I fear that there is some unbalance between the allied factions.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Ashes wrote:Both times I played chapter 2, I have tried to use the Skeletal Dragon, and failed. Most other units have proven themselves more useful.
And I could have paid 20 gold to recall the Skeletal Dragon for every scenario in chapter 3.
Its' limited value is why I wanted to keep using it. Stubbornly trying to make it more effective.
There are several scenarios in chapter 3 where recalling units is not practical because you don't start on or near a castle. I tend to forget to do it later in a level.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Regarding the recalling:
There's been two suggestions, both suggested to reduce the number of autorecalls and allow buying additional ones, one suggested to buy them as AMLA, another one suggested to buy them for gold. Both options are feasible, I support the second one, the one suggested by Whiskeyjack.

I will implement it if nobody objects. I expected a discussion about it I did not want to interrupt but nothing begun.

The change I propose:
  • The starting number of slots for autorecalled units is 5
  • You can unlock an additional slot for a price that starts low but increases quadratically (e.g. x, 4x, 9x, 16x, 25x, ... where x is the base price)
  • The base price is 100 gold
  • Alternatively, the base price could be 1€ (I will send you an unlock code when I receive payment via PayPal). Okay, kidding.
Ashes wrote:I am beginning to try the multiplayer scenario "Hordes of the Other World", but I fear that there is some unbalance between the allied factions.
If there is some, report it and we will resolve it ;)
dabber

Post by dabber »

That would apply to chapter 5 and 9?
I would make medium and hard start at a higher number, like 7 and 10.

I think your cost increase might be too steep. Getting to 9 slots would take 1600? (or worse, 100+400+900+1600?). I will have to check tomorrow, but I think I have about 6000 total after spending a long time in chapter 9. And almost never spending gold.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yes, chapters 5 and 9. If you want the prices to be lower, suggest other prices. Increasing linearly? 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 (and so having 10 slots would cost 1500 in total, 15 slots 5500). And good idea to increase the number of slots on easy and normal.
SethMk3

Post by SethMk3 »

I restartet the campaign on normal difficulty, because I did not have the items and units to fight Lilith. The first capter was more easy on normal, than on easy difficulty. Now I have Item with conviction, despair, etc. AND better troops (ALMAs). More enemies, more XP...
Am I right that "intelligent" is the most important unit trait in this campaign (in contrast to the normal campaigns)?

I noticed some bugs/problems:
Elvish Juggernaut ALMA regeneration 6 did not work. I could not change it and now I got regeneration 12 and it works. regenerates (12) is shown under the picture of the unit, which was not for regeneration 6.
Warlock mit ALMA flamesaber: the unit is not defending with this weapon, even if it is better than the normal saber (against undead)
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Dugi wrote:Yes, chapters 5 and 9. If you want the prices to be lower, suggest other prices. Increasing linearly? 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 (and so having 10 slots would cost 1500 in total, 15 slots 5500). And good idea to increase the number of slots on easy and normal.
That sounds reasonable for chapter 9. What do you think about raising the starting number of units to 8 (especially for chapter 5)? How much gold does the player get in chapter 5? I don´t remember, but perhaps there are other numbers needed?
SethMk3 wrote:Am I right that "intelligent" is the most important unit trait in this campaign (in contrast to the normal campaigns)?
For chapter 1 you might actually be right (except for Highlander) because this allows for faster levelling of units. I don´t remember ever using a unit with it and in chapter 2 the experience numbers get so high that it doesn´t really matter any more IMO. Quick is also a great trait early on because you can spare one AMLA for other stuff. But they play almost no role later anyway because items are just so much more efficient. The only trait I really feel the effect of is Highlander, but thats very rare to get.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

SethMk3 wrote:I restartet the campaign on normal difficulty, because I did not have the items and units to fight Lilith. The first capter was more easy on normal, than on easy difficulty. Now I have Item with conviction, despair, etc. AND better troops (ALMAs). More enemies, more XP...
It's not easier, but you already know what you have to expect and what to focus on. You do get more items because there are more enemies, but the difference is faint, less than 20%.
SethMk3 wrote:Am I right that "intelligent" is the most important unit trait in this campaign (in contrast to the normal campaigns)?
It reduces the amount of experience the unit needs to gain by 20%. This allows the unit to reach AMLA faster, but once the unit takes the first advancement, it increases the amount of exp it needs to gain by 20% and then the amount of experience needed to advance becomes almost the same as if it had not the trait. So it's not much better.
SethMk3 wrote:Elvish Juggernaut ALMA regeneration 6 did not work. I could not change it and now I got regeneration 12 and it works. regenerates (12) is shown under the picture of the unit, which was not for regeneration 6.
Fixed. Not uploaded the fix yet.
SethMk3 wrote:Warlock mit ALMA flamesaber: the unit is not defending with this weapon, even if it is better than the normal saber (against undead)
Those special attacks are disabled from being used while defending. Usually.
Whiskeyjack wrote:That sounds reasonable for chapter 9. What do you think about raising the starting number of units to 8 (especially for chapter 5)? How much gold does the player get in chapter 5? I don´t remember, but perhaps there are other numbers needed?
Yes, it might be more in chapter 5, no problem. But I want to know if everybody agrees first.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I checked my saved game. After clearing all of Chapter 9, and admittedly farming some of it, I entered Execrable Sanctum with 8747 gold. The only money I might have spent in chapter 9 would have been buying maybe a dozen new level 2 units. So I can confidently say I spent less than 400 gold, meaning roughly 9000 total gold is possible in chapter 9.

A linear increase from 100 (100 to get to 6, 200 to get to 7 for 300 total, etc) would buy 12 extra slots with 7800 gold, or 13 extra slots with 9100.
Changing the base cost to 75 means you can buy 15 extra slots for 9000 total. It also means the starting gold (150) plus the first chest (2d50) come close affording the 2nd extra slot for 7 total.

So my recommendation for chapter 9 is a linear increase starting at 75 gold. 75 gold for one extra slot, 150 for second extra slot (225 total), 225 for third extra slot (450 total), and so on.

However, I think chapter 5 has less gold. I think a base price of 60 would be better there. Maybe. I don't have a chapter 5 saved game.