Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

dabber

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dabber »

As I read it, the new armour Unsung Odes never drops, because it is not in the drop list. I think you put 234 (Unthought Memories) in the armour drop lists instead of 235.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yes, you're right. Fixed it. Thanks for reporting.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I just started playing. I liked the first 2 chapters.

In chapter 3 the maps became a bit boring and big. The turn limit was a challenge which is a lot of time waste. It made me learn about the debug mode. I used 5 avengers and 4 dwarflords. The later where kind of slow.

I am in chapter 4 halfway through. I did not like the "lich reduction" the way it was done. It leads to some equipment loss too. About the undead army collection: I was really lazy to play the low level undeads, so they got killed a lot. I would suggest to give the option to put the undeads to AI management straight from the beginning.

I would like a better explanation about all the items and effects. It might be a point in starting a feedback thread on each chapter and not only one for all.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The turn limit was a challenge which is a lot of time waste.
The turn limits are sometimes a challenge indeed, but this is the first time I see somebody complaining about many tight turn limits in a single chapter. Wasn't it because you had too many slow dwarvish lords?
The later where kind of slow.
If you have a problem with slowness, check out the crafting options, there is a cheap recipe to create items that increase speed.
I did not like the "lich reduction" the way it was done. It leads to some equipment loss too.
They'll be back later, don't worry. It was necessary, without it your units would get too powerful for regular enemies.
I would like a better explanation about all the items and effects.
Fine, I'll add something about them into some of the subcategories of the help menu option.
It might be a point in starting a feedback thread on each chapter and not only one for all.
I think that it would be quite egoistic to demand creating a subforum for an add-on campaign.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Thanks for the response. I would suggest making 10 feedback threads for all 10 chapters. The reading of this thread leads to a lot of information which is for higher chapters.

Personally I do not think a turn limit challenge is a good way to make things difficult. Technically that means the player has to start all over if she cannot win it. Thus we have frustrating time waste. I have of course a bunch of speedy units. But in chapter 3 you told to built up the expensive units. It worked for me in a sense that I could punch me through the ambush easily.

The dwarves were less useful than expected, but I wanted them for later chapters anyway. They make a good "heavy infantry". Yep they need speed boots. I was just saving the jewels, because some people posted about some item losing event later. Not sure, if I got that right.

I would think that a manual style post about abilities and such thinks would be cool for all the new things. Maybe in post one of a thread or so, where it is easy to find.

This thread has 256 pages. Splitting it up in 10 for the chapters and maybe one for the new game play mechanics would be totally just in my opinion. All in favor?
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

I fully support the proposal of a subdivided thread by chapters.
This has nothing to do with egoism or privileges, but increases user-friendliness!
To search this thread for specific information is... well, :augh:
dabber

Post by dabber »

A simpler answer might simply be making a new thread for 2015. Put a link to the old thread so it is easy to find, but a new thread would be easier to look at and would remove the really really old stuff.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Wussel wrote:I would suggest making 10 feedback threads for all 10 chapters.... Splitting it up in 10 for the chapters and maybe one for the new game play mechanics would be totally just in my opinion.
And they would be shuffled across the Campaign Development forum, taking a lot of time time to find any of the threads.
Btw, mechanics thread would be probably more important than all others, most posts here are mechanics-related.
Wussel wrote:Personally I do not think a turn limit challenge is a good way to make things difficult. Technically that means the player has to start all over if she cannot win it.
The turn limits were based on feedback (every few extra turns added a lot to the gold amounts, and this chapter is quite sensible to it). Maybe your units aren't as strong as expected or something.
I might extend the time once I fix the too-much-gold problems.
Wussel wrote:I was just saving the jewels, because some people posted about some item losing event later.
You'll lose your units at some point, but that's just temporary.
Wussel wrote:I would think that a manual style post about abilities and such thinks would be cool for all the new things.
I am thinking about possible solutions to this issue.
Chewan wrote:To search this thread for specific information is... well, :augh:
You can use the Search function to look for specific keywords around this thread.
dabber wrote:A simpler answer might simply be making a new thread for 2015.
You know that things on page 183/257 are quite old and that things on page 34/257 are terribly old and totally outdated. You don't have to read anything before the last 10 pages anyway. Removing the old stuff would just hide the mess. How would it make easier looking for a particular post made 2 years ago?

Sorry for the delay, I am quite busy.
dabber

Post by dabber »

End of Chapter 8, Gates of Hell

Abaddon has income, but as far as I can tell, he has no access to a keep. Certainly he never recruits anything.

Beating Abaddon is not required in order to win. He isn't even a threat to stop victory because he moves to a village south/west of the portal and sits. When the player sees the portal (from the east), it is easy to move to the portal and end the scenario without Abaddon moving. I'd say that is even the natural choice, especially because Efraim and Lethalia are faster than Abaddon, maybe even twice as fast.

Demons spawn in the portal, and are not human visible because of the graphic cover, but they are visible to the game mechanics and can be attacked in the portal. I consider that undesirable, although minor.

Why have sides 6,7,8,9? One side for the spawns would be enough. Or no extra sides and put all the spawns with Abaddon. That might be a general question for chapter 8, but it seems more noticeable here because the three leaders make up most of the enemies.

Silly side note. I decided to play with Abaddon and string out the scenario. With a combination of things, and over several turns, using Berserk, I hit him with Mayhem so much that I reduced his damage to zero. :)

Bug? Meant to report this for months and kept forgetting. Freezing Aura hits at the start of every side turn. When there are a lot of sides, this means it can do relevant damage. I feel it should only hit at the start of turn of the unit affected AND the start of turn of the unit with the ability, but not other turns. Maybe it is really ugly to code it that way though.

Request. I would like to see some mention of the redeem timeout. The turn after I first used redeem, I worried there was a bug because the attack disappeared. Easy solution is to put a line into the half god description(s), saying it can only successfully redeem something every 3 turns.
Last edited by dabber on January 12th, 2015, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Dabber wrote:Beating Abaddon is not required in order to win. He isn't even a threat to stop victory because he moves to a village south/west of the portal and sits.
As far as i know, he isn't supposed to get too much in the way. Though he represents a good lot of exp.
Dabber wrote:Why have sides 6,7,8,9? One side for the spawns would be enough. That might be a general question for chapter 8, but it seems more noticeable here because the three leaders make up most of the enemies.
Not exactly sure, but i remember Dugi saying it allowed to accelerate AI decision when there were too many units (from what i remember, some scenarios used to be incredibly slow, Jungle Hell mostly).
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
dabber

Post by dabber »

Fast reply Raijer! :)

On Jungle Hell ... while I typically dislike fog, if ever a scenario deserved fog, that is it. Towards the end, I turned off Show AI Moves so I didn't have to watch dozens of random guys in the north.
wuxiangjinxing

Post by wuxiangjinxing »

One possible bug:

If a unit has "knockback" weapon speciality and it hits a dying unit, then the victim will not die but live with a negative HP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the infect ability, I think both ideas are fine. So maybe we can use the one which is easier to be coded?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks Raijer for replying instead of me. All that you said is correct. (no irony)

@dabber
Abaddon has a blank recruit list. No idea why I gave him income, it was probably a mistake. He has no income now.

The portal hides the demons to give the feel like if you were fighting the enemy through the portal.

Abaddon isn't very strong there, it shouldn't be a great problem to overpower him and hit him with mayhem until he has enough.

Fixed the freezing aura.

Added the note about redeem cooldown to their descriptions as you requested.

@wixiangjinxing
Dammit, it seems that I returned that old knockback error.
EDIT: Fixed, there was a logic error that was trying to prevent knockback from working if the unit would die or the attacker had plague, but I mistook the logic operator and made it fail to work only if the attacker had plague AND the target was dying. Until I upload it, get plague with the unit that uses knockback and it will work.

Both of the infect ability variations are easy to code.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Besides the book of Necromancy, is there a way to get an Ancient Lich in part 2? How?
How can I get a Lich King at any point, other than Argan very temporarily?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Death Knights advance from Revenants, so you can get them.

For Ancient Liches, I might add Dark Adept to the recruit list somewhere in chapter 8.