Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Battlecruiser_Venca

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Dugi wrote:That's a freaking great idea to report bugs created by bad manipulation in debug mode. The other units are non-existent almost all the time, they're just needed for some optimisations. The only case when they may come into contact with that weapon special is debug mode and possible bugs. Still, thanks for telling that Monstrosity is broken.
I've used the debug to explore what the special exactly does and as it is rare, it's highly suspectible for bugs, so I've used a debug mode to be able to quickly discover them (This is what is the debug mode for)
Dikkin

Post by Dikkin »

@Dugi
The ability shield (20) decreases resistance to 60 if it is more than 60. It's a bug, right?
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Going through the campaign again...
On 1.11.16, "Where the Sun Does not Shine": the scenario seems strange after you hear the dragon. There's no dialog when you see it, the dragon can't recruit.
The ending point is also really small, i think increasing the zone could be useful (2-3 hexes around and not just one). I nearly used ":n'' to finish it, thinking it was broken.
Also, the orc warlord who's in the north western corner (starting point) is considered as an ally, which seems strange to me.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Angry_Andersen

Post by Angry_Andersen »

Has anyone else encountered this issue:
Burning souls effectively have a 0% defense on all terrains, although their description states proper (nonzero) values.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Yodatchi
It's obviously a problem of the iOS port, it works correctly on PCs. I am very sure that the author of the iOS port is aware of this issue (it can happen in other campaigns as well), and I think that he made a fix that should be contained in the latest version of the iOS port. If you're sure that you have the latest version of the iOS port, post about it here.

@Battlecruiser_Venca
Debug mode is made to find bugs and complete parts that are too hard to complete, but you must know what you're doing. I was already reported many bugs that were created by debug mode and don't happen outside of it, because you can easily create situations that would not happen under normal circumstances.
If you see a problem occur somewhere, it's a good idea to use debug mode to replicate it and learn the exact circumstances it needs to appear. But bugs shouldn't be detected using debug mode because you'll detect way too many false positives.

@Dikkin
Not really. That ability increases resistances, but could possibly allow it to hop into extremely high numbers, bordering with immunity. So I gave it a numerical limit. It's true that maybe it should just leave the resistances be if they're already higher than this limit, but I am not sure if it can be done.

@Raijer
I increased the zone when the warning is told. I have also added a dialogue that occurs if you approach the blocked path, telling you to come back and look around.
I set him as an ally because he is not allied with the monsters in the cave and would not attack you if he could.

@Angry_Andersen
Their description is the same as the description of the default units they are made of. The descriptions are very problematic to be altered and creating a load of custom units to get this single thing working would be a great waste of resources and loading time. Their existence as burning souls is rather a strange condition, when they advance they become normal units and join you. The different F1 description problem is the same also for units like black souls or ice skeletons.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

@Dugi: Don't forget that the dragon can't recruit in "Where the sun does not shine".
Also, in the next scenario, could you stop the undead from recruiting? Making them go out of the "castle" isn't consistent with the fact that Connor & co are fighting them.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I never intended him to be able to recruit. That keep was meant to be used by the player. He starts with a few drakes if the difficulty isn't easy.

Which undead are you writing about? The ones recruited by the lich or the ones that keep appearing? Which castle are they coming from (they're mostly coming from a remote location, but it's far away from the place where Connor appears).
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

How strange that the dragon can't recruit, from what i remember he used to. Anyway, he start with only one drake on normal which seems a little weak to me.

About the undeads: they're probably recruited by the lich (couldn't check yet), they're coming from the place that gets unshrouded once you meet Connor's group. So once you see Connor, he's between 2 groups of undeads. The problem is, if the group that went outside comes from where Connor is, how could they not fight? That's what seems inconsistent to me.
Maybe stopping them from going past a certain point until you discover Connor would do the trick.

William Ernest Henley
naikon

Post by naikon »

Are savegames of version 3.1.2 compatible with v 3.1.3 of mod. I m playing on wesnoth 1.11.13. Further, are those savegames compatible with v3.1.3 on wesnoth 1.11.16
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

Hi Dugi,

Did you fix the legacy possessed of Krux and Vritra? Krux always gets fire dragon legacy while his fire resistance is good, his cold resistance is low. Also, Vritra has ice dragon legacy while her cold resistance is high, her fire resistance is low. Advancing in the legacy only makes their weakness more critical. If this is your willing to make the game more difficult, ok, I will get used to with this. But if you can fix a legacy of an unit, can you do this with the general in chapter 6 when the player choose Efraim path, or the Duelist of Lethalia path? My general, after level up to Duke, got Legacy of Light, while he is lawful himself. I think it will be better for him to get Legacy of King, so that his leadership ability is improved. Because he is the only Duke that player can have in whole the campaign, I want him become a perfect leader. Of course, I can play again to have a new general, but it takes about 4 scenarios to level up him and know what legacy he has. So, if you can fix his legacy, I will feel very happy.

One more thing, the serendipity book is said that "You never know what will be learned from here". However, if I let an unit learn this, I know exactly what will be learned. Even two serendipity books contain the same things. So, I hope that you can make player really never know what will be learned from it.
Dikkin

Post by Dikkin »

@Dugi
Maybe you did not understand me. I mean, my unit have 80% resistance to pierce and if there is a unit next to him with this ability, he will have only 60%. If you need a save, here it is.
Attachments
LotI1-Thirst_for_Adventures_Turn_1.gz
(288.56 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Raijer
No, he never recruited. I didn't know how to add leaders later back in the day when I was coding that scenario and later I did not consider it good to allow him to recruit. If you're aware that he'll pop out, you'll bring a load of zombies to sacrifice, but if you don't know of him, you might not be prepared and without enough zombies you might be easily overpowered.

I know what you mean with these undead. Preventing the lich from recruiting until you meet Connor should do the trick.

@Naikon
Yes, they are. I am trying to keep backwards compatibility at least for several months.

@xuanquang
Hi, xuanquang. The legacy is randomised, but in a different way than you assume. The unit's legacy is chosen long before it advances and you learn it, so you can't just keep going back to grab a different one (it would be too easy then). No legacy is pre-determined neither, so any legacy choice made wasn't made by me. The random legacy may suit a unit, but it might not suit it much. But considering the number of units you'll get, there will always be a certain amount of units whose legacy will suit them a lot.

@Dikkin
I understand you. I should not have made it affect units whose resistances are good enough, but I am not sure if there is a way to do it. I'll have to think about it.
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

@Dugi: I assumed that legacy of an unit is determined when the unit is recruited, or appears at the first time. So, at the last turn of scenario "Annihilation", I saved the game. I think that if I start from that saved, a new file "Mysterious Ivasion.gz" will be created, also new Krux and Vritra. But nothing change! Maybe they were determined at the time the campaign begins.
And, how about the serendipity book? It is not really randomized, just a set of many AMLAs which is the same for any serendipity book.
Aevyn

Post by Aevyn »

@Xuanquang & Dugi

[EDIT: Removed my own explanation of Legacies]

Dugi, is this something you'd like to be made public? Or should I hold back what I've observed with any mechanics in general? I ask because it can be manipulated.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@xuanquang
The problem is that in computer science, randomness isn't random. It depends on numbers called seeds, that determine what will be the next result. It is just a function that throws numbers in a sequence that looks very random. However, if you come back to the old seed, the sequence will be the same again. And in wesnoth scenario codes, the seed is saved in save files. This seed is independent of the hit/miss chance, so it can cause some random-looking events to repeat themselves. If you kill an enemy boss and he drops some crap, you can reload a save file made just before killing him and kill him again, but he'll drop the same thing because the seed is the same. This happens also for the legacy option. You kill the final boss in chapter 7, the seed is used once to generate the drop, once to determine Krux' legacy, once to generate Vritra's legacy. When you reload the save file, you return to the same seed, so she'll drop the same item and they will get the same legacy. You can alter it by doing actions that change seed before doing the action whose seed you need to change, for example by killing other units before (because their drop depends on the same seed and is decided at that time), attacking with a thief or a rogue or assassin or shadowalker (they steal and the amount they steal depends on the seed as well) or using doombringer (the 2% chance to kill depends on the seed).

@Aevyn
Go on and explain whatever you want, anything you write here will be surrounded by irrelevant posts and nobody will find it after a couple of months. Just wrap story spoilers in
Spoiler: