Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (now complete)

Post by Konrad2 »

its quite usefull if you want to break an enemy formation
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

in scenario An Army is Born(chapter 4) the Orcish Soverein doesn't recruit and an error appears: <invalid WML found> Unit-type "Orchish Crossbowman" doesn't exist, so it's impossible to kill 50 Orcs
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Looks like a typo, orchish insteadof orcish. 1.11.7 started caring about these typos, but sometimes causes trouble if it finds something. Use debug mode to create a few orcs and switch them to side 2.

:debug
:create Orcish Archer
:unit side=2 (while keeping your mouse above the newly created unit)

EDIT: Any more thoughts about the knockback usefulness or lack thereof?
Enginuity

Post by Enginuity »

in scenario An Army is Born(chapter 4) the Orcish Soverein doesn't recruit and an error appears: <invalid WML found> Unit-type "Orchish Crossbowman" doesn't exist, so it's impossible to kill 50 Orc
<invalid WML found> Unit-type "Orchish Crossbowman"
also happens in the following scenario (The First Blow).

Also, for knockback: It does seem to have some usefulness, for harder targets (you can surround it except for one square, knockback, and attack it with even more units), and also can be used to push an enemy out of an annoying spot (ie ZOC stops movement for other faster units). It's very situational though, and I guess it's not ideal to keep a unit armed with knockback (especially a unit that has soul eater ability).

Additonal bug report:
in stderr.txt:
20131202 18:08:38 error ai/actions: Error #2007 (E_NOT_REACHED_DESTINATION) in full move by side 2 from location 22,2 to location 19,1
savefile: load this, and end turn. it should crash out wesnoth after a few AI moves (It happens 3/3 times for me when I tried).
Attachments
LotI1-Invasion_Turn_4a.gz
(956.33 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The problem in An Army is Born was reported two replies above yours, I am releasing a quick fix (1.11 only, because it happens only on 1.11.7).
The bug report about the crash is strange. I was able to replicate it, but it seems to be absolutely unrelated to my code. I have reported it, adding some debugging information I learned.

Knockback will be therefore kept, I shall fix the problems with knocking out of the scenario (in fact, that puts the unit on the recall list, but because enemies never recall...) and probably also with the soul eater interaction (and dark hunger interaction, and murderlust interaction).
Enginuity

Post by Enginuity »

Sorry, I should have quoted the post (since I copied directly from the previous one). I meant, that the Orchish spelling also occurred in the following scenario (The First Blow).

Also, something was done to the recruiting in (An Army is Born): the AI won't necessarily spend all its' money at once; it may be hard to get to 50 kills because the AI just doesn't recruit fast enough. I don't know if it has anything to do with its threat analysis or something... [This AI issue happens in other scenarios sometimes too: they won't spend the gold they have on some turns, for unknown reasons]
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I meant, that the Orchish spelling also occurred in the following scenario (The First Blow).
Dammit, I saw that it's the same thing as on the line before, and failed to notice that you added that it happens also in the next scenario (where it isn't fatal, fortunately). I've made the update almost uselessly.
This AI issue happens in other scenarios sometimes too: they won't spend the gold they have on some turns, for unknown reasons
I haven't changed anything regarding recruiting. Generic recruiting formulas are being used, if something strange with recruitment happens, it is not related to LotI (of course, unless it is related to a typo in the recruit list).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

bug: demon with "fiery" trait has normal dmg on fire ball

the demon is on tile 45,8 and has the name Vaalle
Attachments
LotI2-Jungle_Hell-Auto-Save10.gz
(718.44 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It is correct. Vaalle's damage is increased by the trait bonus and decreased by the time of day malus, so that these two effects nullify themselves.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

fiery trait: +40 damage on fireball
i dont believe that 40 dmg are 25% of her max dmg. that would mean she would deal160 dmg per hit. crazy dmg.
all i can imagine is a typo, a zero to much
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That stupid trait description is automatically generated and cannot be replaced by manually written texts. Fiery trait adds 40% damage, not 40 damage, it just writes bullcrap.
EDIT: It is very likely that it will get better in Wesnoth 1.11.8, because it will be possible to write the trait descriptions manually.

EDIT: I found the explanation for the strange problem with enemies not recruiting. It is a new feature in 1.11.7. The AI sometimes decides not to recruit, for various reasons (I think that it might include income worth waiting until more units are possible to recruit before upkeep gets too high or waiting for the player to recruit to know what to counter with). This function was tuned for some time, and should be making the AI stronger. Because it's to become common in Wesnoth, I think that there is no important reason why it should be turned off in LotI.
Last edited by Dugi on December 4th, 2013, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Question: Does killing Trolls in "Dealing with Trolls" (chap 4) changes anything in the game ?

Also, is it possible to put the experience needed in "unit information" ?

And add a feature to ask an unit to follow another ? (yeah... 80 undead to move is quite annoying)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Does killing Trolls in "Dealing with Trolls" (chap 4) changes anything in the game ?
Yes, it does. The trolls will have less gold in the Invasion scenario. If you kill too many of them, they will not recruit at all.
Also, is it possible to put the experience needed in "unit information" ?
Yes. I suppose that the experience and experience required is way too long for the space it has on the right panel, right?
And add a feature to ask an unit to follow another ? (yeah... 80 undead to move is quite annoying)
This is possible, but if I was to add this, there are some questions about its exact implementation.

This is what came to my mind, it will probably need corrections:
A new menu item, that will ask you to click on another unit you want to follow, when you click on it, you are asked if you're sure, if you hit yes, the unit will be set to following the target (regardless of its side).
If a unit is already following something, there will be another menu item, to disable the following (or open a dialogue if you want to stop it from following the target or assign a new one).
A following unit will follow the target (if it is alive) always at the beginning of turn (or end of turn?), following the shortest path to the target. If the target is close (reachable in current turn), the unit will not follow (meaningful only if following at the beginning of turn, in that case the unit could be moved at the end of turn).

Because this has absolutely nothing to do with LotI (just fixes a problem typical for it), it might be a separate add-on. I was annoyed by numerous units having to be moved manually also in other campaigns.
Enginuity

Post by Enginuity »

Is this a bug? The explosion lance (additional +5 impact damage when hit), when used to kill a unit (I think this only happens when the +5 damage kills the enemy unit), does not provide the unit killing experience to the killer...
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That's possible, this problem was encountered before. I thought I fixed it, but when looking at the code, I see that there might be a problem with rounding...