Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

RaustBD

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (now complete)

Post by RaustBD »

This. Is. Awesome. I love it! The second I saw the existence of the highlander trait, I remembered Sean Connery's character in said movie, looked at the bonuses that highlander provided, and said I absolutely HAD to get a master-at-arms with the highlander trait. By sheer miracle I happened to recruit a fencer with intelligent, highlander in the first chapter, and he very nearly died but narrowly survived. I'm really hoping nothing happens that could force me to leave this unit behind :(

So far the mechanics of the campaign look awesome. It's clearly been a ton of work for you, the sheer scale of this campaign is HUGE. I really only have one minor complaint so far, and that's the writing. At times the writing seems sparse or confusing, and at times, and if this isn't true please don't take this as an insult, the dialogue suggests that English isn't your first language. Of course, I'm only on chapter 3 right now, maybe that changes.

Can't wait to see what else is in store for me!
Naron

Post by Naron »

From what I understand, English is not the native language of Dugi (nor mine).
But his campaign is amazing. I can not imagine how he managed to create something so vast.
Again, this campaign deserves to be included in the mainline.
More surprises are waiting for you throughout the game. :)
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Naron wrote:From what I understand, English is not the native language of Dugi (nor mine).
But his campaign is amazing. I can not imagine how he managed to create something so vast.
Again, this campaign deserves to be included in the mainline.
More surprises are waiting for you throughout the game. :)
If that's the case, I have experience in writing, maybe I could go through the dialogue and narration and help clean it up? Though considering the 100 chapters that might be a huge endeavor, and I think I'd like to go through the levels first so there aren't any spoilers for me... But I'd be happy to help if I'm needed.
Naron

Post by Naron »

You should talk to Dugi about this, but I think any help is welcome.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I've released an update. Changelog:

Code: Select all

3.0.4 (development/maintenance)
Most enemy leaders have additional and usually unusual abilities and weapon specials, especially on higher difficulties, to add variability and challenge to the gameplay
Replaced the special version of Orcish Sovereign by Orcish Warmonger, with similar properties and position in the advancement paths
Added walkthroughs for chapter 10
Higher crafting recipes no longer require large numbers of lower gems
Added a new crafting recipe
Fixed an issue making some sprites invisible on 1.11 versions
Fixed a lot of smaller bugs 
RaustBD wrote:If that's the case, I have experience in writing, maybe I could go through the dialogue and narration and help clean it up? Though considering the 100 chapters that might be a huge endeavor, and I think I'd like to go through the levels first so there aren't any spoilers for me... But I'd be happy to help if I'm needed.
Replied to your PM in a PM.
RaustBD wrote:It's clearly been a ton of work for you, the sheer scale of this campaign is HUGE.
Yes, it was a lot of work, like all my free time for a hear and half.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

If that's the case, I have experience in writing, maybe I could go through the dialogue and narration and help clean it up? Though considering the 100 chapters that might be a huge endeavor, and I think I'd like to go through the levels first so there aren't any spoilers for me... But I'd be happy to help if I'm needed.
This is good experience if you want to edit a Stephen King novel sometime in the future :lol2: Be forewarned: I edited the early part before this campaign was even finished, which was a bad idea considering what happens later on, and now that it is finished I recommend going through the whole thing first so that you get a feel for the epic that LotI is, and in particular the character nuances. Editing is not a simple conversion to English. Discuss the early parts I wrote with Dugi, and either ditching my dialogue or building upon it is cool with me either way. Not only is this a huge campaign, but its also massive in story, which is why I drifted away (sorry Dugi), this is an epic novel as well a Wesnoth addon.

*As a side note Dugi is great to work with, if you want a cool fantasy project to work on this is definitely the one- he is open to ideas and is super communicative :geek:
Naron

Post by Naron »

Jeffers0n wrote:Then he would be really overpowered, I think they should be tough, but not unbeatable
You're wrong. The topic is called Legend of the Invincibles, which means that they are unbeatable. :-P
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

There is some bug(?): chapter 5 (defeating Akula. etc) would not transition to Chapter 6 (where heroes wake up) after epilogue. For player it looks like if adventure is completed. But there're still 5 more chapters!
I can see last scenario sets next scenario to null, so credits are shown, etc.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Naron wrote:You're wrong. The topic is called Legend of the Invincibles, which means that they are unbeatable.
They shouldn't be and mostly aren't so strong for gameplay reasons (but in some save files I was shown I have seen really brutal builds).
t3st3r wrote:There is some bug(?): chapter 5 (defeating Akula. etc) would not transition to Chapter 6 (where heroes wake up) after epilogue.
That's intentional. Various information is stored in the save files, and it stacks up, slowing down everything. Because everything would be reset between chapters 5 and 6 due to storyline reasons anyway, I've decided to use it to restart clean. Also, the mechanics are slightly different in later chapters.
I want to make it impossible to start in later chapters, resulting in LotI being separated only into two parts, and that would make the continuation look rational. I am not doing it yet because some changes are still done, showstopper bugs can appear and they may force people to start from a later chapter.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Yaaaaaaaay! Just when I can play again, there's a new version! Anyway, starting from the start again, in normal mode, there's already a problem... I think you still haven't fixed the issue about picking up items automatically at the end of a scenario, when it's a leader that dropped it. Joining a save file. You've got to kill the troll before killing the leader. Then he drops an item, which isn't in the next scenario (and yes, i upgraded to the latest version on Wesnoth 1.10.7).
Attachments
LotI1-An_Orcish_Assault-Sauvegarde_automatique15.gz
(173.13 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Well, did you see him drop an item? I haven't. According to the code, the first leader does not drop any special items. I set it so probably because I didn't want to confuse new players in the first scenario. However, it confuses greedy folks like you, who already expect every leader to drop items.
The dropped item carryover does not apply to gems, because leaders have no special chance to drop gems.
Raijer wrote:Yaaaaaaaay! Just when I can play again, there's a new version!
To be honest, I just saw an increased activity around this topic, so I decided to take a break from my other project and return to my old pride for a few hours.
Last edited by Dugi on October 17th, 2013, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naron

Post by Naron »

Dugi wrote:
Naron wrote:You're wrong. The topic is called Legend of the Invincibles, which means that they are unbeatable.
They shouldn't be and mostly aren't so strong for gameplay reasons (but in some save files I was shown I have seen really brutal builds).
I know, I joked. Can you give me an example of such builds? You made me curious.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Naron wrote:Can you give me an example of such builds? You made me curious.
No. I am no expert at Legend of the Invincibles builds. I am just the one who coded it, I haven't played through it ten times like somebody. I have seen some in save files attached to bug reports and such, but I studied the bugs and not the builds. You can try to ask dark_Crag in a PM, I think he might know.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

That's problematic. Sorry for complaining right off the bat, but i'm sure there was a gauntlet there, and i didn't have anything in my inventory the next scenario. Though, when i did it again, i had to try more than once to recreate it because gems were showing up. But i am sure that there can be a gauntlet if you're lucky (got one on first kill, and then on the fourth retry to test if it really wasn't picked up).
So it's not supposed to be there... Too bad, having another weapon right from the start could have been fun.

Also, i was wondering but... Isn't spiritual transformation supposed to be the strongest melee attack? Because i mostly used Efraim's berserk in melee (though it is indeed awesome on Lethalia, even if i''m not using it much).
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Also, i was wondering but... Isn't spiritual transformation supposed to be the strongest melee attack?
Berserk might be stronger, but you take way more damage. Spiritual transformation is a heavy melee attack during which you take minimum damage. When fighting an enemy, berserk might kill him faster, but with spiritual transformation, you can take even 6 times less damage (default is 3 times less damage taken and about twice as much damage dealt compared to berserk, but berserk can repeat, resulting in more final damage).