Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

jeffgreen

Re: Legend of the Invincibles (now complete with chapter 10)

Post by jeffgreen »

Since you are a perfectionist and to add to the very bottom of your things to do list (unless it's really easy) the Gold Wreath that appears around completed campaigns only appears on Chapter 1.
TheIronRose

Post by TheIronRose »

Dugi wrote:Your save files are from 1.11.5, so I tried to load it on 1.11.5. Neither of your problems appeared, the skeletal dragon looked as he should and loading when a leader died didn't activate an unknown unit error (but errors of this kind used to appear on older versions of this add-on).

However, I doubt that its cause could be a bad installation. So I started investigating the dragon problem, and I found it. My installation was created mostly by copying new files over old files, so that files that were removed were not removed in my installation. The images for Skeletal Dragon were all removed, and replaced by a baseframe-only sprite placed in another folder. Same happened with many human rider sprites. I really don't like this change, what is the point of replacing a fully animated unit by a motionless headbutter whose baseframe is maybe 10% better. I don't know at the moment what shall I do with it, I think that I will move copy the old unit into the LotI folder and use it as replacement for the new sprite.

I have released version 3.0.1. I have done several small things I wanted to be a part of 3.0.0 before, but then I decided that I shouldn't delay chapter 10 too much. They are mostly fixes to bugs I had difficulties to investigate before.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

3.0.1 (maintenance)
Made many weapons weaker on higher difficulties, especially those with other good properties than damage
Fixed a bug that could cause animations to get messed up and save files growing excessively large
Fixed a bug causing serious mess with some items in item-collecting scenarios of chapter 5
Shrunk the Chasing Dragons scenario's map
Added a few caves to the Despair scenario and added a few magical runes on ground in Fimbulwinter scenario
Added 5 new items, renamed the 'Reaper's items' to 'The gloomy items'
If a unit is equipped two crafted items of the same type and chooses to unequip one, both will be unequipped no more
Problems with ability descriptions on wesnoth 1.11.4 and 1.11.5 should appear no more
Slightly altered Darkness Closing In and Meeting of the Ancients scenarios to make them more comfortable to play
Fixed a possible multiplayer spillover problem that might happen if using some custom lua codes
Sorry for the late reply, but ah, how do I actually fix the dragon problem. Are there image files I can download (if so, I'd prefer the new sprite. I've seen both on the SA LP of this mod, and I could care less about animations)? If not, is the fix included in the update to the mod? How do I actually download that update, actually, since I'm unsure.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

jeffgreen wrote:Since you are a perfectionist and to add to the very bottom of your things to do list (unless it's really easy) the Gold Wreath that appears around completed campaigns only appears on Chapter 1.
thats not it, it only appears around those chapters from where you began to play
you could say that it thinks that you are still playing the same chapter when you continue from chapter to chapter
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Konrad2 wrote:
jeffgreen wrote:Since you are a perfectionist and to add to the very bottom of your things to do list (unless it's really easy) the Gold Wreath that appears around completed campaigns only appears on Chapter 1.
thats not it, it only appears around those chapters from where you began to play
you could say that it thinks that you are still playing the same chapter when you continue from chapter to chapter
Just thinking aloud.....
So a fix (now that the campaign is finished) would be to get rid of the chapter format and have a giant campaign? But might that leave people that are part way through with a problem?
How about continuing on to a new chapter (and/or finishing a chapter) changes the chapter started flag (and/or the Gold Wreath flag) for that chapter?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

corrupted orc line is definetly messed up
grunt uses arcane wave, warrior chill tempest and sovereign ( who comes next) can use both
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Just thinking aloud.....
So a fix (now that the campaign is finished) would be to get rid of the chapter format and have a giant campaign? But might that leave people that are part way through with a problem?
How about continuing on to a new chapter (and/or finishing a chapter) changes the chapter started flag (and/or the Gold Wreath flag) for that chapter?
As far as i know the add-on For Power works with this chapter format. The difference is, that after ending a chapter, you come back to the main screen like when finishing a normal campaign. But if you start the next chapter (from the normal campaign selection screen), you still have the your units and all the advancements of your leader and so on.
By the way, for power also handles of preserved liches, and even lethalia appears.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Sooo, as i couldn't use the Internet for nearly one week (holidays, YAY), i got a ton of things to report. I finished chap. 10 and started chap 1 again, since the campaign is awesome and i'm bored.

I'm gonna start with writing errors (typos and all...)

In the werewolf rider's description, it says "those orcs are truly half-men and half-beasts", since there's "truly", i suppose you assume orcs are some kind of half-men half-beasts, but i think you should say that werewolves are "half-orcs half-beasts", removing the "truly", since i'm not sure if orcs can be seen as half-men/beasts (they're a race on their own, no ?).

In the Predator's description, it says "anything hey spot", should be "they".

In the Lunatic Knight's description, "a huge thread" should be "a huge threat".

In "Borders", the first guy to attack Deliria says something like "sorry" (unfortunately didn't note everything down, but that startled me when i saw it), which is completely strange as it's a demon and they're supposed to be heartless bastards and all (and also cause he one-shot her right after saying sorry). Also in "Borders", a small typo: one of the enemy leaders says, about Deliria, "manipulated by ors", should be "orcs".

I'm not sure about which scenario this one is ("Empire of Twilight" or "Trolls"), but the orc leader says, speaking about Trolls, "quite peaceful a cultur", i'm sure it should be "quite a peaceful cultur".

In "Idols falling", when you get really close to the center of the temple (i think Deliria says she's never been this far), you encounter demons, and they say "even if princess", you should add "the".
Same scenario, a demon says being here is a sin in itself, and Vritra answers "Yes, you are here all the time so you are bla bla bla", shouldn't it be "Yet you are here bla bla bla" ? It seems more logical to me.

In "Rush" (nice one with the portals, i got scared about the turn limit but actually finished it easily), Stormrider says "I have no idea what are you speaking about", i think it should be "what you're speaking about". In the same dialog, he says "And they knew that their plan might fail.", but i think it should be "know", it would fit better with the rest of the text. And he says "And they are about to launch it now". The fact that they are "about to launch it" implies that it is now. Added to the fact that he says "now" in the sentence just after, i think you should remove the first "now". Or even better, remove both "now", because it doesn't sound good (just my opinion on that one).
Continuing on, Stormrider again, "If happens," should be "If it happens".

In "Black souls", Vritra says "it seems that there is way too many black souls…", i think it should be "there are", since there are more than 1 black soul. The same thing shows up right after with Stormrider ("that there is-->are not as many black souls"). Also, he says "Neither if them", should be "of them".

In the last scenario, Stormrider says "It is not in this world, in a small world they created". Would be better to say "It is not in this world, but in a small world they created". Also, Vritra says "managed to enter it, and use its knowledge", shouldn't it be "used"? After Efraim and co arrives, Stormrider says "we might have a talk about it later, we have a serious problem now", maybe adding "but" would sound better. Again, same problem with "there is/there are", Stormrider says "there is enough of them", and i think it should be "there are enough of them". When Lethalia starts speaking with Delly, she says "i know you were better firends with Efraim", should be "you were best friends", no ? If 2nd Lethalia dies, the 2 dying lines appear (the one specific for the last scenario, and the one you see in chap 9).

Now, that's back to start, in the tutorial: When the orcs arrive Efraim says "the bell you can hear", should be "the bell you hear". Also, Efraim says "It seems that your lessons will become very useful", maybe "be" would be better than "become" ("will" already implies future, no need to add "become" i think)?

Now i'm really annoyed, cause absolutely nobody cared about what i said about the rewrite Vultraz and Bumbadabum wrote (see p. 143). Or maybe it was too much to change. Anyway, at the end of "An orcish assault", Efraim says "there are many still loyal to him", i tend to use "there are still many loyal to him" (i know i'm picky). Also, i'm not sure if "pause" should appear in the dialog. Maybe "…"?

In "Assassination", Delenia says, when meeting Redain, "because a lot of lives might be saved if you were not blinded by…", i suppose you meant that a lot of lives could have been saved in the precedent battle. In that case, you should use "because a lot of lives would have been saved if you hadn't been blinded by…" (i know english can be annoying…). Also, since Mario follows you around, shouldn't he have a death line ? When Redain dies, Argan says " That defense will not appease the powers that be unfortunately, but…". You should remove "that be", or say "That defense will not appease the powers. That might be unfortunate, but…"

In "Banished", Delenia says "The elves must be in great trouble with orcs roaming the forest". On that one, it depends completely on the meaning you want to give. If you mean that orcs are getting the elves in trouble then it's right, but if you mean that the fact that orcs are roaming shows that the elves are in trouble, then you should use "if orcs are roaming the forest".

In "Toxic sun", a small typo, Lethalia says " i wanted to know to fly", should be "to know how to fly"
At the end of "Toxic sun", the dwarfs says "it is unusual to us", what is unusual? Shouldn't it be "we're used to it" (->having trouble with the sun after years in the cavern)?

Between "Shadow Empire" and "Long way home", it says "to conceal their undead" should be "undeath".

There are tons of others, but i'm too lazy to write them all, and i don't think you will take the time to fix them all, as it's mostly just a matter of how it sounds, and how correct in english it is.

Now let's pass onto the game itself.

The Gobling trainer is level 10 (i used debug to see that, but still…).

In chap. 10's first scenarios, the demons that see you change team, which makes them have 2 turns in a row. Absolutely impossible to know wether they're gonna attack you or not, making it really hard to escape them.

We need a walkthrough for chap.10 (at least, tell me there's gonna be a tomato imp surprise at the end of "Fimbulwinter", i was forced to redo it because i was 1 turn away from the end). In "Fimbulwinter", imps attack demons, not sure if it intended.

For lesser redeem, can you precise what are the probabilities ?

If possible (that's asking a lot, so don't take it too seriously), could there be a new portrait for Princess of shadows ? The current one doesn't look too good compared to Efraim or Lethalia.

In "The chase", you should make the AI protect Deliria more, because i beat her without touching the last demons, making the dialog kinda strange. Since they become my allies after that, they survive, making me able to recall demons in the next scenario ("Truth"). If it is intended, can you make it so demons can have level up ?

AMLA for Elvish Gryphon rider: there are 2 "better at commanding the gryphon", one that makes it faster, on that makes it stronger.
When advancing to Goblin Ravager, you have a choice window opening, with 2 times Goblin ravager.
AMLA for Ancient lich: "better caster of chill tempests" has a shadow waves icon.

In "Borders", explosive slow and whirlwind touch your allies too, didn't test with others explosive abilities.

AMLA for the orc leader: once you have normal evisceration, having AMLA and upgrading evisceration again renames it to "lesser evisceration", though the ability's stats are upgraded.

Corrupted city on normal difficulty is really hard. I actually managed to do it with a ton of reload (making my own luck…) and the "hit and run" ability, that made Vritra pass through the second line before turn 10.

In chap. 10's last scenario, could you at least give Efraim his ancient stats (he comes back as if he just started chap. 7)? Seems strange to me that someone who got only redeem 1 can rebuild the world lol.

Back to chap. 1: since Mario follows you around and is a little special, maybe making him have a special advancement (why not opening the sergeant line ?) would be good.

If you have 2 AMLAs during your enemy's turn, only one of them really happen, and the second is forgotten (might be only for Lethalia and Efraim). I will join a save later, i got close to no connection right now, so can't really upload anything.

The woodland cloak ability "movement cost through forests set to 1" does not work (at least, not for iced forests).

Also, that was already reported, but the last kill's drop isn't in the item storage in the next scenario.
Last edited by Raijer on July 20th, 2013, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

@Raijer
regarding ived forest movement: the iced forest is regarded as "frozen" hex so you have the movement of frozen places, and defense of "forest" (example: elves need 2 mp for ice and have 60%-70% defense for forest = 2mp and 605-70% defense in frozen forest)

"...to conceal their undead..." is actually right if you look on the context
"They were also figuring a spell to conceal their undead, hiding them in a illusion to look like living."
it is not meaned that they conceal being undead beiungs themselves but hide their undead troops behind illusion that let them look alive (explaining why they can recall/recruit such troops even after coming back to Efraims hometown, they would chase him away if he visible summoned undead troops, no?)
maybe you can say that the second part should be rewritten, but the first part is right
"...them in a illusion that let them look alive."
or make more clear in first part, so you dont have to think about it first
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

@Konrad2: Oops. You're right about the undead, i didn't see it that way, and ended up misunderstanding.
About the woodland cloak, i'm sure elves needed only 1 mp(without any items) on the terrain i'm speaking about, and it was seen as forest with snow (sorry about iced forest, i was a little tired and didn't search the good term, which was easy), so i think it should work with woodland cloak.

Adding more as i'm playing (now at chap.2): Seems like the AI is afraid of my leaders again. There's'a huge army of ghosts that just passed by but didn't touch them... A little like how the AI won't attack an unit close to levelling, but my leaders are far from it...

William Ernest Henley
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Now i'm really annoyed, cause absolutely nobody cared about what i said about the rewrite Vultraz and Bumbadabum wrote (see p. 143).
That's not true. I have looked at your feedback, but I never got around to writing a proper reply.
Anyway, at the end of "An orcish assault", Efraim says "there are many still loyal to him", i tend to use "there are still many loyal to him" (i know i'm picky). Also, i'm not sure if "pause" should appear in the dialog. Maybe "…"?
That's mostly a case of personal preference.
Back to chap. 1: since Mario follows you around and is a little special, maybe making him have a special advancement (why not opening the sergeant line ?) would be good.
I don't think the Sergeant line would be a good idea. Loyal units with leadership are very powerful, especially when you get them after the first scenario.

I'll get to writing a proper reply to your first post about the 'new' S1 as soon as I can.\

EDIT:
In Ogira, seems like the only significant thing you've changed is adding more forest tile, and i like it. All in all, the map looks better (maybe more realistic ?).
I tried to make it look better as a whole. I'm glad it look better in your opinion.
I must say i don't really like your dialog
Oh, that's not too good to hear.
Also, when Lord Redain says "You know nothing", is it supposed to refer to anything (or did i watch and read too much GoT ?) ?
It doesn't refer to anything.
About Mario, he says once something like "thanks the Gods", and i'm not sure wether there are Gods in Wesnoth or not, so is it really good to place it there ?
After talking about it with vultraz we decided to keep it. I guess Dugi needs to be the judge on this.
I like your defeat dialogs, (the part about honor for Efraim in the original seems a little heavy to me), though you didn't do any if turns run out, good thing you added one for when the orc leader dies (but i liked the "at what cost?" in the original).
I must have forgotten to add one for the time over. Will eventually add it.
Also, making Mario join us is kinda of no use... He will just slow the fencers and thieves down.
It's your choice whether to use him or not, but I felt like a loyal unit might be cool to have early on in a campaign like LotI.
Also, when Redain says "My soldiers are more important than any single one of you!" is kinda evident, ofc all his soldiers are more important than 1 peasant.
I would say "Any of my soldiers is worth more than all of you".
I might change that, thanks.
EDIT 2: What you did is good, but it feels like there's something missing. For example, the original emphatized a lot on the fact that you can use thieves, which i like (it adds a little background, though not much), also, you could see that Efraim thinks about different ways to get rid of Redain before deceiding to kill him by his own hands, that adds to the fact that Efraim is supposed to be a good guy with remorse, in opposition to Redain.
I tried to add more character to Efraim, as opposed to the (in my opinion) very flat character in the original. I might improve it more when I go over it again (probably after finishing S3).
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Wow. This shows that i should really wait before writing my first impressions. I was really harsh when speaking bout your rewrite, but i don't actually think it's bad (i should have read the origin before saying anything). Same thing with the "really annoyed", i just wrote my first reaction without thinking or looking at it after.
It doesn't refer to anything.
Seems like i really read Game of Thrones too much...

About Mario, i now see that he's really useful (soon to be loyal scythemaster).

Thanks a lot for answering my post (and sorry for getting a little angry).

William Ernest Henley
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Raijer wrote:Wow. This shows that i should really wait before writing my first impressions. I was really harsh when speaking bout your rewrite, but i don't actually think it's bad (i should have read the origin before saying anything). Same thing with the "really annoyed", i just wrote my first reaction without thinking or looking at it after.
No offense taken.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Raijer wrote:Adding more as i'm playing (now at chap.2): Seems like the AI is afraid of my leaders again. There's'a huge army of ghosts that just passed by but didn't touch them... A little like how the AI won't attack an unit close to levelling, but my leaders are far from it...
believe me: later on in this chapter you would be happy if they avoided you, so they dont kill you in one turn even when you have full life...also if AI ghosts dont attack your leaders, they attack your troops right? so it makes the chapter just a bit harder, without being unbeatable

EDIT: Corruptet Elvish Rider lacks charge in melee
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

The problem is, in "Sightseeing", well... I was sightseeing. Literally. After beating the 2-3 special elves, my leaders didn't get attacked at all (Lethalia got attacked once, and he got killed). And that made me lose tons of exp, as the purple idiots do not summon their units unless they attack someone.

Out of that, i got a problem with the dialogs: sometimes, nothing shows, even though there should be someone speaking, and clicking makes it show the next sentence. Also, when picking up gems, it happens that the description do not show. Simply reloading the save fixes it, but it's a little annoying.

It seems you didn't fix the problem when there are 2 or more items on the same hex, and some do not get picked up the first time.

Finally, good job on "Infinite Legion", i nearly got killed thinking it would be as easy as before, since you can't see which units are special or not. Still managed to pass through by force, but it was seriously close and i didn't try to kill them all.

William Ernest Henley
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Raijer wrote:The problem is, in "Sightseeing", well... I was sightseeing. Literally. After beating the 2-3 special elves, my leaders didn't get attacked at all (Lethalia got attacked once, and he got killed). And that made me lose tons of exp, as the purple idiots do not summon their units unless they attack someone.
...maybe you are playing leader only? would explain that your leaders are this op (best gear and every exp)
if it is so then it would be fixed by using normal units too

wait what you mean with "2-3 special elves"? there are about 20 special elves from beginning (one troop for you, one troop for argan) and when the lords summon troops, they often have some special abilitys too

i would advise to rework the "Corrupted Unit Tree" there are way to many weird things like wrong advancement, advancement lacks special ability of the unit before it, spells they can use are mixed up (first stage can use arcane, next stage can use cold and next stage can use both -.-, there is just no reason to explain those sort of advancements)

EDIT: WTF?! i just pushed an enemy leader from the map and some other unit through a wall with shockwave oO
Last edited by Konrad2 on July 18th, 2013, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.