After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.7 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.6] (complete!

Post by Iris »

Now that the stuff that monopolized my spare time for months is done, I finally have some time for IftU and AtS again.

To celebrate the occasion, a brand-new feedback topic for AtS is now available in the Add-on Feedback forum. A few of you wanted one of those for some reason, so I thought I might as well use it to conduct an experiment a little player survey. Let’s see how this thing pans out.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Be sure that I'm going to spend some spare time on your campaign when I get some spare time. I didn't have much of it lately. I played ItfU long time ago and provably even finished it but then real life grabbed me and prevented me from making proper review. I'll try to redeem myself and post something relevant next month.
tcaldas

Post by tcaldas »

Hey! I am new here and have a simple doubt.
When I finish the last scenario in "Invasion from the Unknown Episode II: Armageddon", will "After the Storm" be a continue campaign or it needs to start from scratch ?
If it's a continue campaign, will I be able to recall units ?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

After the Storm is a completely separate campaign (three campaigns in a single package, actually), so you start from scratch without recalls.

The same applies between After the Storm episodes I and II, but episode III will actually use some state from the last scenario of episode II.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tcaldas

Post by tcaldas »

I didn't know there is a third part of this campaign, nice to know.
Thank you for all.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.8 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.6] (complete!)

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.8 is out.

This is primarily a fast-tracked bugfix release which deals with the issue reported in the posts leading up to this in the Add-on Feedback topic.

The complete changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.9.8:
--------------
* General:
  * Added a preload-time event to warn the player when attempting to use an
    unsupported Wesnoth version (< 1.9.10, < 1.10, = 1.11.0, = 1.11.1 at this
    time).

* Scenarios:
  * E1S1 - The Skirmish:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S3 - Civil War in the North:
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S4.1 - Outpost of Hell:
    * Fixed a side-effect of the [hidden_unit] clobbering fix from 0.9.7 that
      renders the scenario unwinnable after killing the final enemy boss.

* Units:
  * Updated Chaos Gunner line animations for compatibility with Wesnoth 1.11.7.

* Terrains:
  * Added litter terrain overlay from doofus-01, not currently used yet.
    * Code: <http://r.wesnoth.org/p555984>
    * Graphics: <http://r.wesnoth.org/p556000>
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.8 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.7] (complete!

Post by Iris »

So, I am progressing very slowly* through the campaign (E1S7x at the moment), and so far I have found issues with E1S4 and E1S7 related to the new gold saving recruitment aspect enabled by default in Wesnoth 1.11.7.

Has anyone played AtS on 1.11.7 as of late and found issues with AI teams not recruiting enough/being too smart causing scenarios to become too easier/harder? It might help me to have a rough idea of what scenarios will need fixing before playing them, since otherwise I end up playing some twice or thrice.

* Mostly because I have been rewriting some old prose and WML. Hopefully the situation will improve after E1S9.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.8 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.8] (complete!

Post by Iris »

AtS Music version 0.2.1 is now available on the 1.10.x and 1.11.x add-ons server instances.

This version only has a minor addition that increases the download size from 22.7 MiB to 24.6 MiB. It’s not used by version 0.9.8 of the campaign proper, but it will be by the next version.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.8.1 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.8] (complete!)

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.8.1 is out on the 1.11.x add-ons server only.

A seemingly unintentional change in the way Wesnoth 1.11.8 handles time of day configuration has resulted in a couple of scenarios in AtS Episode III triggering unexpected behavior from the game during initialization, right after the story screen. At best the result should be a crash-to-desktop. (See mainline bug #21489 [Gna.org].)

Since nobody had reported this (rather serious) bug yet, I was unsure whether publishing a 0.9.8.1 version in the meantime was worth it, considering it only affects Wesnoth 1.11.8 (and 1.11.8+dev) at the moment. But I went and did it anyway.

Players on 1.11.7 and earlier can stick to version 0.9.8 for the moment. This is why I didn’t upload 0.9.8.1 to the 1.10.x add-ons server.

Version 0.9.8.1:
----------------
* General:
  * Non-versioned upload to the 1.11.x add-ons server, to be replaced with
    version 0.9.9.

* Scenarios:
  * E3S7A - Dark Fire:
    * Prevent crashing Wesnoth 1.11.8 due to a missing initial time of day
      (part 1 only).
  * E3S8A - Interim:
    * Prevent crashing Wesnoth 1.11.8 due to a missing initial time of day.

Version 0.9.9 with a vast array of fixes and improvements on various areas will be available next Christmas.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: After the Storm 0.9.8.1 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.8] (complet

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

I found a minor bug, but
[s]one still probably worth mentioning[/s]
Loading an autosave from early in E1S3 (I think - the one with two elves having civil war) causes Galas to disappear, but then in the dialogue, a village stands in for his missing sprite. He shows up in the fort, so it doesn't really affect the game, but it does look weird. EDIT: It happens on later saves too, so it actually is important. Galas still exists, sort of, but he is invisible and cannot move. I've attached a save-file.
AtS-1-Civil_War_in_the_North_Turn_9.gz
(190.75 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
NoGalas.jpg
Speaking of Galas, his sprite has bolas, but his config has a bow. Is his sprite a placeholder?

Also, I found the levels of the faeries that you can recruit (in the first few scenarios at least - I'm not very far in) are difficult to distinguish at a glance - I lost a level two, but didn't realize it until a couple turns later, and my cunning plan fell apart. Out of curiosity, I looked at the other units in help menu, and think this will be a problem with the other faerie line as well. Are these sprites placeholders?

Apologies for only posting negatives, everything else seemed fine. I was using 0.9.8, on 1.11.8.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I just want to add a +1 to the fairies (actually I think they are called Sprites) at different levels being hard to distinguish at a glance.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:Loading an autosave from early in E1S3 (I think - the one with two elves having civil war) causes Galas to disappear, but then in the dialogue, a village stands in for his missing sprite. He shows up in the fort, so it doesn't really affect the game, but it does look weird. EDIT: It happens on later saves too, so it actually is important. Galas still exists, sort of, but he is invisible and cannot move.
Very nice find! According to git, this bug was first introduced on January 22 2012 prior to version 0.7.1, so I am really surprised it hadn’t been reported before.

I appear to have fixed it by chance circa November 30, so the fix will be in the next release if you can confirm it:
  1. Open [wiki=EditingWesnoth#Where_is_my_user_data_directory.3F]<user data>[/wiki]/data/add-ons/After_the_Storm/episode1/scenarios/03_Civil_War.cfg with a suitable text editor (for Windows users, to my knowledge only Wordpad or a third-party editor like Notepad++ can deal with Unix line endings).
  2. Locate the following line around line 347 in a preload event:

code= << wesnoth.get_units({ id = side_6_village_control })[1].hidden = true >>
  3. Replace it with:

code= << wesnoth.get_units({ id = "side_6_village_control" })[1].hidden = true >>
  4. Save the file and start the scenario again from the start-of-scenario save before turn 1.
(I know you in particular don’t need the verbose instructions in step 1 — those are for the convenience of other players. Also, technically, the line doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do, so deleting the parent [lua] tag along with it is an option too. EDIT: No, it actually does what it’s supposed to do; it’s the game that does not (see bug #21512 [Gna.org]).)
doofus-01 wrote:Speaking of Galas, his sprite has bolas, but his config has a bow. Is his sprite a placeholder?
Sort of. At the beginning of AtS’ ridiculously long production, he had that sprite and bolas by default, but the attack became part of an optional AMLA later in version 0.5.1. He’s a very low priority in the art department right now — which brings me to the next point:
doofus-01 wrote:Also, I found the levels of the faeries that you can recruit (in the first few scenarios at least - I'm not very far in) are difficult to distinguish at a glance - I lost a level two, but didn't realize it until a couple turns later, and my cunning plan fell apart. Out of curiosity, I looked at the other units in help menu, and think this will be a problem with the other faerie line as well. Are these sprites placeholders?
Not per se, but the fact that three of them look extremely similar to each other has been irritating me a lot during my current playthrough too. I can see why other people may have more difficulty telling them apart, but I can’t promise I’ll have a solution for the next release since there is a lot of other work left to do in my queue before the deadline, and I only started experimenting with sprite designs and poses a week ago.

Thanks for the feedback!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

shadowm wrote:... so I am really surprised it hadn’t been reported before.
I know the feeling. Maybe everyone else was too engrossed with the scenario to quit, and I'm the first one to try to load it later.
shadowm wrote:I appear to have fixed it by chance circa November 30, so the fix will be in the next release if you can confirm it:
Replaced the line, and Galas didn't disappear on quit & load. So, it looks like it is fixed.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.9.9 [Wesnoth 1.11.8/1.10.x]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.9.9 is out, just in time for the holidays!

Since I have tested and developed this campaign primarily on Wesnoth 1.11.x since the 0.9.0 release, this version promotes support for Wesnoth 1.11.8 to official status. Because most of the campaign makes use of 1.11.x-specific features (both from me and other mainline developers) when available, it is quite possible that I will entirely drop support for Wesnoth 1.10.x in a future release even before the first Wesnoth 1.12 beta arrives. I still intend to make sure certain additions and changes for episodes II and III land before the last AtS version supporting 1.10.x, if time permits.

This 0.9.9 release primarily deals with prose corrections and improvements, and various other ‘cosmetic’ changes. There are also various fixes for some instances of dysfunctional AI recruitment on Wesnoth 1.11.7 and 1.11.8 resulting from the recruitment_save_gold aspect being enabled by default in those versions (but not 1.11.9 and later).

There isn’t much in terms of new graphics since the prose and code changes (plus some mainline stuff) have kept me far too busy to do much more than some doodles. On the other hand, this release contains various animation fixes and improvements to the Aragwaithi units ported from Era of Chaos. There are also a handful of balancing changes affecting both Aragwaith and non-Aragwaith units.

Also featuring in this release are a number of WML optimizations intended to reduce campaign load times — especially on 1.10.x, which has a slightly slower tokenizer implementation than 1.11.x. Since the affected bits of code have been completely rewritten in Lua, it is possible that I accidentally introduced new bugs in the process that I may have missed during my playthrough, extensive as it was.

There is also a new secret feature that is not mentioned in the changelog. What is it, you ask? Well, if I told you, that would ruin the surprise. Think of it as a Christmas present!

Finally, from this release onwards, After the Storm is no longer part of the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev Project, and will be hosted on GitHub instead. Ever since development of the campaign started, Wesnoth-UMC-Dev provided SVN repository hosting for both After the Storm and Invasion from the Unknown, but over time that has proved to be an inefficient solution due to technical and organizational concerns. Although the conversion process was not easy in the least, I believe that this move will make things easier for me in the long-term, since I had been using git-svn to work on IftU and AtS since late 2008 anyway.
Release tarballs will continue to be hosted by Wesnoth-UMC-Dev for the time being, until I decide to phase them out entirely in favor of GitHub’s Releases page. If anyone is using them because they cannot normally download AtS or AtS_Music from the wesnoth.org add-ons server, I’d appreciate it if you let me know so I can make a more informed decision in the future (or point you to add-ons.wesnoth.org, that works too). For the time being, the tarball compression format has changed from Bzip2 (.tar.bz2) to xz (.tar.xz).
Special thanks to vultraz and 8680 for their proofreading assistance, without which this release would be about 1% less awesome. Also thanks to the current and past Wesnoth-UMC-Dev admins, AI/AI0867 and Espreon, for their continued support all these years — IftU and AtS simply wouldn’t be the same without Wesnoth-UMC-Dev.

Version 0.9.9:
--------------
* General:
  * Removed Wesnoth development versions warning from the campaign menu entries
    as support for 1.11.8 and later is now mature.
  * New complete algorithm for calculating the relative direction between two
    hex grid locations, handling all six intrinsic facing directions instead
    of only SW and SE.
  * Updated Aragwaith faction from Era of Chaos 1.3.1+dev up to commit
    9dedeba7cddc2a027745c9994a917fdcb78ed341.
  * Stripped optional whitespace from terrain map and mask files, decreasing
    uncompressed directory size by about 62%.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Blood Core, multiple Aragwaith units, Demon
    Grunt.
  * Assigned a more dignified generic portrait to Cron (1.11.x only).

* Music and sound effects:
  * Mitigated [fade_out_music] causing a portion of the previous track to be
    heard at full volume at the end of the fade-out sequence. It still won't
    help in all cases.

* Scenarios:
  * Fixed additional bugs with hero ellipses on Wesnoth 1.11.6 and later
    affecting Anya on every scenario and Durvan on scenario E3S7B and later.
  * Use STARTING_VILLAGES_ALL instead of STARTING_VILLAGES with large numbers
    to assign all villages to sides.
  * Skip inclusion of death events for characters that are not present during
    the first few scenarios of E1.
  * E1S3 - Civil War in the North:
    * Fixed the first defined on-map unit (usually Galas) becoming permanently
      invisible.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S4 - Terror at Dusk:
    * Balancing changes to make the scenario easier on Wesnoth 1.11.7 and
      later, possibly connected to the new AI recruitment gold saving aspect
      introduced in Wesnoth 1.11.7 and enabled by default.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S5 - Bay of Tirigaz:
    * Made it so Mal Keshar speaks for bat units when investigating shipwrecks.
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S6.1 - Quenoth Isle:
    * Fixed Elynia's ellipse reverting to a generic unit ellipse on 1.11.x
      during the faerie fire cutscene.
    * Not-so-minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S6.2 - Elves of a Different Land:
    * Extended map for large screens.
  * E1S7 - The Search for the Past:
    * Improved ending cutscene transition.
    * Minor AI adjustments to make the undead minions recruit correctly on
      Wesnoth 1.11.7 and later.
  * E1S7x - Resolutions:
    * Minor map tweaks.
  * E1S8 - Fear:
  * E1S9.1, E1S9.2, E1S9.3 - The Triad:
    * Various cutscene improvements and changes.
  * E1S10 - Tears:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S11.1 - Return to Wesmere, part 1:
  * E1S11.2 - Return to Wesmere, part 2:
    * Fixed story text not appearing because of a missing macro inclusion
      (long-standing bug that's existed ever since the scenario was first
      released).
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E1S12 - The Queen:
    * Balancing changes.
    * Excluded time area for the E1S11.2 starting area on Wesnoth 1.11.7 and
      earlier (including 1.10.x) due to a bug with time area ids not being
      saved, resulting in a time area with local lighting that interfers with a
      cutscene sequence after reloading from a non-start-of-scenario save.
    * Fixed long-standing offset-by-one bug with a terrain mask applied near
      the end.
    * Minor map tweaks.
  * E1S13 - Death and Rebirth:
    * Minor cutscene improvements and changes.
  * E2S1 - By the Moonlight:
    * Minor AI adjustments for Wesnoth 1.11.7 and later.
    * Now the scenario lives up to its name.
  * E2S2 - The Heart Forest:
    * Fixed fog not being cleared correctly when Allyna first appears.
    * Made it so Allyna introduces herself once three of the five bandits have
      been killed rather than all of them.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S3.1 - Unrest in Raelthyn:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S3.2 - Revelations:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S4 - Shifting Allegiances:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S5 - The Eastern Front:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S6 - The Voyage Home:
  * E2S7 - The Voyage Home:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S8 - And then there was Chaos:
  * E2S9 - New Hive:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S10 - The Betrayal:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E2S11 - A Final Confrontation:
    * Maybe-minor prose tweaks.
    * Minor cutscene tweaks and improvements.
  * E2S12 - Fate:
  * E3S0 - Opening (Within):
  * E3S1 - Beyond her Smile (A Light in the Darkness):
    * Minor map tweaks.
  * E3S2.1 - Return to Raelthyn:
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Increased initial gold supply for the second human player side.
  * E3S2.2 - Reckoning:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S3 - Amidst the Ruins of Glamdrol:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S4.1 - Outpost of Hell:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S4.2 - Gateway:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S5 - Pass of Sorrows:
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
    * Minor ending cutscene improvements.
  * E3S6 - Divergence:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S7A - Dark Fire:
    * Prevent crashing Wesnoth 1.11.8 due to a missing initial time of day
      (part 1 only).
    * Minor map tweaks.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S7B - Dark Sea:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S8A - Interim:
    * Prevent crashing Wesnoth 1.11.8 due to a missing initial time of day.
    * Minor cutscene improvements nobody could possibly notice.
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S8B - Destiny, part 1:
    * Minor aesthetic changes nobody could possibly notice.
    * Fixed parts of the map being unintentionally uncovered upon entering
      Hemérilyel's chamber.
    * Made Hemérilyel more aggressive towards the player on Wesnoth 1.11.2 and
      later.
  * E3S8C - Breakdown:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S8D - Destiny, part 2:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S9 - Dark Depths:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S10 - Blood:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S11 - After the Storm:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S12 - Destiny, part 3:
    * Minor prose tweaks.
  * E3S13 - Epilogue:
    * Minor prose tweaks.

* Units:
  * Balancing changes:
    * Imps are now immune to the plague weapon special.
    * The Protection ability affects own units of any lower level again instead
      of only level 0 and 1.
      * Affected units: Demoness Hellbent Tide, Aragwaith Shield Guard,
        Aragwaith Ancient Banner.
    * Physical endurance no longer resets statuses (poisoned, slowed, etc.).
    * Decreased Lumeril Glyph Mistress' arcane damage resistance from -10% to
      -20%.
    * Decreased Fallen Faerie's cold ranged attack strength from 11-3 to 10-3.
  * New or improved unit animations: Verlissh Matrix Core, Shaxthal Custodian
    Drone, Shaxthal Queen, Verlissh Matrix Flow System, Verlissh Control Spire,
    multiple Aragwaith units, Dusk Faerie line.
  * Made it so the Falcon unit type and the lightfly movetype are only defined
    if the mainline Khalifate faction is not present, by testing the existence
    of core/units/khalifate/Falcon.cfg.
  * Fixed a minor inaccuracy at the beginning of the Terror ability
    description.
  * The spawn controller code (used e.g. in Shaxthal hives) has been completely
    rewritten in Lua. No behavior changes expected.
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays, everyone!
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.9 [Wesnoth 1.11.8+/1.10.x]

Post by Iris »

It has come to my attention that a rather catastrophic bug somehow made it to Wesnoth 1.11.10. It’s probably an extremely BAD idea to play any of the following AtS scenarios on 1.11.10 — at least until I have tested them — since they make use of the affected functionality:
  • E1S11.2 — Return to Wesmere, part 2
  • E2S7 — Proximus
  • E3S1 — Beyond her Smile
  • E3S4.1 — Outpost of Hell
  • E3S8B — Destiny, part 1
  • E3S8C — Breakdown
  • Every scenario with unit spawners (e.g. Shaxthal hives)
I’d recommend sticking with 1.11.9, waiting for 1.11.11, or (if you are building from source and know what you are doing) applying this patch (if you know what all this means, I can’t really provide support for that kind of thing in this thread).