After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

ydcl

Re: After the Storm 0.9.7 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.6] (complete!

Post by ydcl »

Hi, sorry for the silly question, but I'm a real noob. I want to try this campaign on 1.11.6 but I still have 1.11.5 to install :augh: I don't get it, maybe it's from my computer or something else ? I'm using ff19 and windows xp.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ydcl wrote:Hi, sorry for the silly question, but I'm a real noob. I want to try this campaign on 1.11.6 but I still have 1.11.5 to install :augh: I don't get it, maybe it's from my computer or something else ? I'm using ff19 and windows xp.
If the question you meant to ask is “why isn’t 1.11.6 listed in the website?”, it’s because it has not been announced yet because the Mac OS X build is not available yet.

If you want to get Wesnoth 1.11.6 before the announcement, you can obtain it from SourceForge.net. The Windows installer is, of course, the file listed as wesnoth-1.11.6-win32.exe.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

ok many thanks
detox

Post by detox »

Is there gonna be a continue for AtS ? The story is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery catchy so far ^_^
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

detox wrote:Is there gonna be a continue for AtS ?
One that follows the final three characters? No, for reasons explained at the end of this blog post.

As for the other characters, there won’t be any campaigns for them coming from me in the foreseeable future.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Candyguitar

Post by Candyguitar »

shadowm wrote:
detox wrote:Is there gonna be a continue for AtS ?
One that follows the final three characters? No, for reasons explained at the end of this blog post.
That's a shame, because the end of AtS leaves you wondering what will happen to them next, especially as they're well developed characters and not just generic heroes (plus the overall storyline is brilliant). If the next version is intended to be standalone, perhaps the backstory could be explained at the start (with an option to skip it if it's long)? I realise it sounds obvious, but it strikes me as the best solution for getting new players up to speed while also satisfying those who've played the rest of the series. I was initially surprised that there isn't a feedback thread for it; it's better than IftU in my opinion and that had a very positive reception.

Also, I spotted a minor mistake while playing: chaos crossbowmen and arbalestiers use the sword image for their melee attack even though they carry axes.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Candyguitar wrote:That's a shame, because the end of AtS leaves you wondering what will happen to them next, especially as they're well developed characters and not just generic heroes (plus the overall storyline is brilliant).
It’s a shame indeed. It’s what happens when you have only one person onboard doing all the art, coding, and writing, and that person doesn’t have the necessary skills to (potentially) build a complete game from scratch, including artwork and engine programming (although I’d most likely recycle the Anura/Frogatto engine (the engine, not the platformer code, probably) if I opted for that approach).
Spoilers for AtS E3 and beyond:
duskcold

Post by duskcold »

I’m almost done with your ATS UMC (as of this I’m on chapter 3 scenario 10). After coming this far I had to register on the forms to thank you for this wonderful campaign. UMC have already transcended mainline content in quality a long time ago, but you campaign is galaxies ahead of the mainline stuff….I would even go far as to say that it is the best UMC. It has an excellent story, charters are very well developed and it has a very rich lore that far outdoes the stuff found in the mainline lore. I would even go far as to say that this puts most commercial video game writing to shame.

You made a comment on your blog that bothered me. You mentioned that you did not what to make a ATS sequel because it had “poor/nil reception”. I have no idea what you are talking about. You have a 20 page thread on the forms. The person who made the umc guide wiki had this to say about your campaign (http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Ca ... he_Storm_2). Your campaign has over 25k downloads on the add-on server for the version of wesnoth I play (I don’t know if the download number add up from different versions or not, since certain add-on content does not show up for certain versions). It is safe to say that the art that you produce has been enjoyed by thousands of different people.

It also saddens me that you don’t wish to continue your work on wesnoth. I don’t see any flaws and imperfections playing the last chapter of ATS. I also wish that you would document some of your lore and written content of the campaign in the wiki as to make it easier to follow the plot and have context.

Do you have any plans for making smaller campaigns? I would love to see a campaign exploring what it like for a human to live as a subject of the chaos empire. What is the content of the chaos religion? What happens to dissenters? Is the social structure of the humans in the chaos empire even relevant anymore as the people in-charge control large armies of mindless drones (I’am assumeing)(you mentioned something about the social structure in ch3s9) ? The unit descriptions talked about removing souls and how information functions in the chaos armies. I always imagined the chaos empire to be a super bureaucracy….what is the relationship between the demons/drones/undead/humans that exist in the empire?…..

Also if you wish to expand the amount of people who will play your campaign, I think it is a good idea trying to get the developers to “mainline-o-fy” your campaign, as your stuff Is clearly good enough. It seems that most people that play single player wesnoth don’t go beyond the prepackaged campaigns and the ones who play add-ons will have to have happen to pick your campaign among thousands of different stuff.
Last edited by duskcold on August 31st, 2013, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

duskcold wrote:I’m almost done with your ATS UMC (as of this I’m on chapter 3 scenario 10). After coming this far I had to register on the forms to thank you for this wonderful campaign. UMC have already transcended mainline content in quality a long time ago, but you campaign is galaxies ahead of the mainline stuff….I would even go far as to say that it is the best UMC. It has an excellent story, charters are very well developed and it has a very rich lore that far outdoes the stuff found in the mainline lore. I would even go far as to say that this puts most commercial video game writing to shame.
I was going to say something pessimistic about the games industry here, but ultimately concluded that I am no expert on the matter since I’ve never played any mainstream games.
duskcold wrote:You made a comment on your blog that bothered me. You mentioned that you did not what to make a ATS sequel because it had “poor/nil reception”. I have no idea what you are talking about. You have a 20 page thread on the forms. The person who made the umc guide wiki had this to say about your campaign (http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Guide_to_UMC_Ca ... he_Storm_2). Your campaign has over 25k downloads on the add-on server for the version of wesnoth I play (I don’t know if the download number add up from different versions or not, since certain add-on content does not show up for certain versions). It is safe to say that the art that you produce has been enjoyed by thousands of different people.
Ummm... yeah, well, neither vultraz nor Knyghtmare started the UMC Guide as far as I know, and the opinion of one of them might be a bit too far on the subjective side seeing as how vultraz has been one of my internal playtesters for a while. As for the downloads, you should keep in mind that until very recently, upgrades counted as part of the download count — and they still do, for all 1.10.x and obsolete 1.11.x versions. Plus, the campaign saw the most productive part of its development cycle (0.4.0 — 0.9.0) in the 1.10.x add-ons server, so that also involves a lot of downloads over time.
duskcold wrote:It also saddens me that you don’t wish to continue your work on wesnoth. I don’t see any of the flaws and imperfections playing the last chapter of ATS.
Still AtS E3 spoilers:
duskcold wrote:I also wish that you would document some of your lore and written content in the campaign in the wiki as to make it easier to follow the plot and have context.

Do you also by any plans for making smaller campaigns? I would love to see a campaign exploring what it like for a human to live as a subject of the chaos empire. What is the content of the chaos religion? What happens to dissenters? Is the social structure of the humans in the chaos empire even relevant anymore as the people in-charge control large armies of mindless drones (I’am assumeing)(you mentioned something about the social structure in ch3s9) ? The unit descriptions talked about removing souls and how information functions in the chaos armies. I always imagined the chaos empire to be a super bureaucracy….what is the relationship between the demons/drones/undead/humans that exist in the empire?…..
This is a problem I have with programming as well. It’s absurdly hard for me to gather the energy and time to write documentation for some reason? As a result, many original units (i.e. not taken from existing MP eras) still have outdated or missing descriptions.
duskcold wrote:Also if you wish to expand the amount of people who will play your campaign, I think it is a good idea trying to get the developers to “mainline-o-fy” your campaign, as you stuff Is clearly good enough. It seems that most people that play single player wesnoth don’t go beyond the prepackaged campaigns and the ones who play add-on will have to happen to pick your campaign among thousands of different stuff.
Eh, yeah. No. I have my reasons to not want to see my campaigns in mainline, even though I could most likely get a free pass for being a mainline developer myself. Unless there are still people who care strongly about campaign length on board, that is. :p

At any rate, thanks for your feedback. It’s very appreciated. :)
Teapot

Re: After the Storm 0.9.6 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.6] (complete!

Post by Teapot »

Hello Shadowmaster,

First of all, let me support all what duskcold so nicely said. As for me, I was a bit bored from Wesnoth... Save from your campaign. But I am a bit lazy to progress these days :-) (there is this one huge scenario that I have to finish one day, hopefully this year).

Oh one last word about all this, I found this on your blog: "Excruciatingly Frequent and Extensive Walls of Text: The Campaign".
Do not overestimate aversion to storyline so much !! Story is what attracts people to your work !!

No onto serious things.
shadowm wrote:Also, I recently got word of a problem affecting recall lists late in Episode III on Wesnoth 1.10.x, but my attempts to reproduce it proved futile. I haven’t heard back from the player in question yet, but if you do know something about this issue, I would greatly appreciate additional information (e.g. one or more relevant start-of-scenario saves after E3S6 Divergence).
Well, I had this bug too. The scenario involved is Destiny part 1, right? I have a start of scenario file but it's broken, and a replay file which is working. To this I must add I have a *outdated* version of AtS. I played this one scenario in march, I am not sure whether it was up-to-date by then. I have three wesnoth install, 1.11 and 1.10 and 1.8, the files where found in 1.11.

... and what I did between 3 and 4 am was to gather the save files & your scenario file !
Hopefully it will help you.
Attachments
AtsDestiny1_MAC.tar.gz
1 / Broken scenario initial file, 2/ replay, 3/ Your scenario file
(242.47 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
Error 418
duskcold

Post by duskcold »

i just finished the campaign, i have a couple of comments....
Spoiler:
some of you posts seem to be hinting this, but please don't make the ATS sequel a 'platformer' on the Frogatto & Friends engine

also what are some of the illegitimate campaigns that got ATS and IFTU wrong (cause i want to try them)

I think there is a huge need for you to doc alot of the lore and happenings/details....it makes people who don't have a background have a easier time fully enjoying the plot (and catching things they have missed)

(i'v said this last post....plz start to advertise your campaign)
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.9.6 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.6] (complete!

Post by Iris »

Teapot wrote:
shadowm wrote:Also, I recently got word of a problem affecting recall lists late in Episode III on Wesnoth 1.10.x, but my attempts to reproduce it proved futile. I haven’t heard back from the player in question yet, but if you do know something about this issue, I would greatly appreciate additional information (e.g. one or more relevant start-of-scenario saves after E3S6 Divergence).
Well, I had this bug too. The scenario involved is Destiny part 1, right? I have a start of scenario file but it's broken, and a replay file which is working. To this I must add I have a *outdated* version of AtS. I played this one scenario in march, I am not sure whether it was up-to-date by then. I have three wesnoth install, 1.11 and 1.10 and 1.8, the files where found in 1.11.
Well, the saved games you provided are from 1.11.1, whereas the problem reported is supposedly from 1.10.x — there is a lot of game functionality that has changed between 1.10.x and 1.11.0 and 1.11.1. I do know that AtS E3 becomes severely dysfunctional in 1.11.1 due to an engine bug affecting that particular version, to the point I had to implement a dreadful workaround in AtS 0.9.0 which was dropped in 0.9.2 along with support for 1.11.1 in general. So... they are not particularly helpful, sorry.

(I should probably go ahead with my plan to add code to make AtS die on obsolete and unsupported development versions. And implement some internal version-tracking mechanism.)

duskcold wrote:some of you posts seem to be hinting this, but please don't make the ATS sequel a 'platformer' on the Frogatto & Friends engine
Nah. The game engine (Anura) is actually more general than that and some people have already experimented with implementing hex-tile TBS logic on top of it.
duskcold wrote:also what are some of the illegitimate campaigns that got ATS and IFTU wrong (cause i want to try them)
Singling them out would probably be a bad idea for various reasons, so I won’t do that.
Oxi

Post by Oxi »

Good evening,

after playing the campaign over a few month I just finished it successfully a few minutes ago. This post is just meant to say thank you for the good time. I enjoyed the mystic story, the scenarios, the picturesque artwork and the excellent and unequalled technical implementation so much ... In "hard" level, some battles are really challenging and motivating.

I play Battle for Wesnoth since -- if I remember correctly -- version 0.8.7 (something like year 2003) and this is the best campaign by far!

It was so good -- thanks a lot!

Harald
Teapot

Post by Teapot »

Good morning,

Just finished your campaign yesterday night. All I can say is that it is awesome ! Many, many very nice ideas !
(Oh, why not give Elyssa a backstab attack by the way ?)
Spoiler:
THANK YOU !!
Error 418
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Glad you liked the campaign!
Oxi wrote:I play Battle for Wesnoth since -- if I remember correctly -- version 0.8.7 (something like year 2003) and this is the best campaign by far!
When I first read this, I read it as “AtS version 0.8.7". I only just now realized you meant Wesnoth 0.8.7. Wow.
(Although according to the Git repository, 0.8.7 was tagged on October 31st 2004.)
It’s relatively rare to see people stick around for so long. I have only been playing since 0.9.5 or 0.9.6 myself!
Teapot wrote:(Oh, why not give Elyssa a backstab attack by the way ?)
I briefly considered the idea at one point, but I believe the current backstab-less design is the best compromise between game balance and rule of cool in this case.