After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm 0.8.2 [Wesnoth 1.9.10+]

Post by Iris »

Rwlyra wrote:PS: Just went through Civil War again (on hard) and while objectives state that there's no carryover or early finish bonus, I somehow start next scenario with 330 gold (had 220 in last turn of 03)
330 is the minimum starting gold for E1S4 on Hard.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Is this the right place for bug reporting?

It's actually a grammatical error
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yes, this is the right place.

Evidently, I had intended to write something different in that line, and changed my mind without going back to check what I had already written at the beginning. That happens more often than I’d like. Thanks for the report.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
charlieh65
Translator

Post by charlieh65 »

When is the update of this campaign coming? I'm searching through updates every day just to find it.I'm a big fan of shadowmasters work and I think this is the best campaign I've ever played (aside,offcourse, Invasion from the Unknown). Waiting for a reply.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

As soon as I get enough reasons to publish it. As it is, there are only three minor bugfixes in SVN, which don’t seem important enough to justify 0.8.3. Also, I don’t expect the final set of scenarios to land before a few months since I’m still busy with art and figuring out some tricky WML, so no 0.9.0 for now either.

The minor bugfixes in question are (so that people don’t report them in the meantime):

Code: Select all

* Scenarios:
[...]
  * E3S4.1 - Outpost of Hell:
    * Make sure to remove the demolition ability overlay from units when the
      siege charges are disabled by the boss event.
    * Prevent log spam about retrieving non-existent WML variables immediately
      before and after the boss event.
[...]
* Units:
  * Allow the Demon Shapeshifter to get the default AMLA.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.8.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.8.3 is out.
(Actually, it has been since Saturday or so.)

This is the first version to provide some initial support for Wesnoth 1.11.0 in the form of some conditional code features, in particular the ability to prevent players from scrolling the view during cutscenes (which I specifically implemented in mainline for this campaign). This same version of the campaign effectively works on Wesnoth 1.10.x and Wesnoth 1.11.0 without any manual changes. The same can’t be said about saved games, of course, but you know the drill.

While an automated parser test suite passes and it seems possible to start the first few scenarios on 1.11.0, nobody has actually playtested this campaign on 1.11.0 yet. You may stumble upon some WML deprecation warnings or worse along the way. It’d be great if you could report any problems you find so they can be fixed in upcoming versions. At this time, developing the last E3 scenarios is taking up most of my time, but I’ll try to push bugfix releases as quickly as possible depending on the severity of the issues.

For stable (Wesnoth 1.10.x) players, AtS continues to be developed and tested on Wesnoth 1.10.x as usual and you don’t have anything to worry about.

With that out of the way, the changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.8.3:
--------------
* General:
  * Preliminary (untested) Wesnoth 1.11.0 support. There might be serious
    campaign-specific bugs, so players on this version should report their
    experience regardless of failure or success. This same version of the
    campaign will continue to support Wesnoth 1.10 until Wesnoth 1.12 RC 1 is
    released at an indeterminate point in the future.

* Scenarios:
  * Replaced a bunch of instances of "in the battlefield" with "on the
    battlefield".
  * E1S9.1 - The Triad, part 1:
    * Minor cosmetic changes that totally have no plot significance whatsoever.
  * E3S4.1 - Outpost of Hell:
    * Make sure to remove the demolition ability overlay from units when the
      siege charges are disabled by the boss event.
    * Prevent log spam about retrieving non-existent WML variables immediately
      before and after the boss event.
  * E3S6 - Divergence:
    * New scenario, disabled in production until the rest is completed.

* Units:
  * Allow the Demon Shapeshifter to get the default AMLA.
dany_2280

Re: After the Storm 0.8.3 [Wesnoth 1.10.x/1.11.0]

Post by dany_2280 »

hello,
I was playing the update version and at the 3th level: civil war at the north after the dialog it apears follow message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libery

Assertion failed!

Program:..prgrama\Battle for Wesnoth1.11.0\wesnoth.exe
File:scr\src\unit_map.hpp
Line:201

Expression:valid()

For information on how your can assertion failure, see Visual C++ documentaion on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

Can somebody tell me what I have to do?

Thanks
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It doesn’t happen here with Wesnoth 1.10.4 or the codebase that will eventually become version 1.11.1, at least, but I can certainly reproduce it on 1.11.0 too.

I believe I have located the problematic code (in the scenario’s WML) and I’ll see if I can get someone to look into a possible workaround for AtS 0.8.4, but the prospect doesn’t seem particularly good right now. The trigger is a sequence of perfectly generic and very commonly used WML that’s found in many places throughout the campaign.
More technical explanation for people who understand WML:
It’s probably more advisable to stick to 1.10.x if you want to play the campaign for the first time instead.

Nevertheless, I have attached a patched file with an immediate solution for E1S3; just drop it replacing the existing file with the same name at <[wiki=EditingWesnoth#Where_is_my_user_data_directory.3F][i]user data directory[/i][/wiki]>/data/add-ons/After_the_Storm/episode1/scenarios/.
03_Civil_War.cfg
(27.54 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Slayter93

Post by Slayter93 »

hey shadowmaster, I love your campaigns for this game, they are great. but I was wondering why you cant recall your units from AtS part 2 when you go into the 3rd part. I had upgraded and beat the 2nd part and then couldnt recall my units when you have it saying that Anya telported people out of the cave. just wondeirng why that is because I cannot beat the first level of Ats part 3 with the lvl 1 units.

and yet my characters levels, hp, and xp earned are the same.
Last edited by Iris on September 10th, 2012, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged two consecutive posts.
I am the Nightgaunt, I go around unseen in the night and slay you from behind when you don't expect it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Slayter93 wrote:but I was wondering why you cant recall your units from AtS part 2 when you go into the 3rd part. I had upgraded and beat the 2nd part and then couldnt recall my units when you have it saying that Anya telported people out of the cave. just wondeirng why that is because I cannot beat the first level of Ats part 3 with the lvl 1 units.
I did. My playtesters did. I’m sure you can too if you have made it this far. They key lies in taking full advantage of your starting area’s terrain, your loyal recalls (see below), and managing recruits in the most efficient manner possible.

I deliberately chose to not allow recalling units from E2 for E3 since one of my goals from the very beginning has been to avert IftU’s main logistic flaw — extremely overpowered players by the middle of the campaign. By forcing the player to start mostly anew, I can exert greater control over the difficulty level as they progress through each episode. Scenarios like E3S1 are intended to be difficult for both gameplay and storytelling reasons.

In gameplay terms, if the player had access to their four Nightgaunts, two Spectres, and ten Highwaymen from the previous episode by that point then anyone could rush through the campaign as if it were A Tale of Two Brothers on Easy, which has never been my intention in the least.

On the other hand, from a storytelling perspective E3 is supposed to be rather bleak at the very beginning, as one can easily infer from context (E2’s finale).

It should be noted that in an attempt to counterbalance these limitations, you are given access to three extremely convenient loyal units which you can recall at the very start of E3S1. Furthermore—unlike the E1 → E2 transition—the main characters’ advancements do carry over if you have completed E2 properly.

In the future you might prefer to make use of the Edit button for adding to your posts, by the way.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

Before and when the hero's encounter Argan in the lair I found the enemies overwhelming for an easy level and the turns allotted anemic. I had to tweak some things to get through. You might get more downloads by mellowing out the easy levels. I found the storyline intriguing.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Argan or his lair do not appear in this campaign at all.

Perhaps you are thinking of this differently named campaign that actually came first and which I’m not currently maintaining myself?
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

You might get more download
I'm fairly certain you're thinking of a different campaign, seeing as AtS has 15137 downloads.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Scottar

Post by Scottar »

Kanzil wrote:
You might get more download
I'm fairly certain you're thinking of a different campaign, seeing as AtS has 15137 downloads.
Yah, I'm referring to the prelude campaign, Invasion from the Unknown. Guess I have to go to that forum ay? I have forgotten some of ATS scenarios but I did tweak some of the scenarios to get through the first try. Kind of similar to IFU.

15,137, how many comments did you get from that lot? Only 6 billion and counting on the planet dude.

And I was directed by a developer to this site so don't jump on me about it. :hmm:
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

There are very few comments simply because the campaign has almost no bugs, brilliant storyline and almost perfect balance. I was just pointing out you probably should do some research before making such statements- sorry if it came across as a little brusque.
6 billion and counting on the planet
6 billion people do not play wesnoth, of those who do, a fairly large amount have downloaded AtS or IftU- anyway, this is 1.10, and the two have had downloads on previous versions as well, whilst the download count does not carry over.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.