"The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Reval

"The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Post by Reval »

We welcomme all feedback, so feel free to tell us your thoughts!

If you report a bug or broach the difficulty, please include what difficulty levels and what version of Wesnoth have you played the campaign on.

Everything is for BfW 1.10.x

Rough change log
  • Update 2013/07/01 to 1.2.9: Added partial Polish translation, updated the portrait of the Yeti.
  • Update 2012/12/22 to 1.2.8: Update/corrections to the German and Russian translation
  • Update 2012/10/15 to 1.2.7: Fixed the fuzzy translations in the german translation that arose due to the latest text revisioning.
  • Update 2012/10/09 to 1.2.6: In scenario 13 (Mountain Plateau), Elves killed by Undead no longer count as killed by the player
  • Update 2012/10/05 to 1.2.5: Inculded Starlight's text review.
  • Update 2012/09/04 to 1.2.4: Galion's death in sceanrio 13 (Mountain Plateau) is now realy a loose condition; in scenario 15 (Army of Darkness), Lorelei now asks if she should execute her task until you give her the OK (before, you had to move her to make her ask again)
  • Update 2012/08/06 to 1.2.3: Background stuff for translations only
  • Update 2012/08/03 to 1.2.2: Actualy made use of the translation helper strings, gave Harriett fixed traits to avoid the unfortunate situation Tyroglyphid reported (http://r.wesnoth.org/p534464), included Galion's death in sceanrio 13 (Mountain Plateau) in the loose conditions.
  • Update 2012/07/015 to 1.2.1: Inclusion of a gettext helper file so that strings that are already translated in core don't have to be translated again.
  • Update 2012/07/013 to 1.2.0: Update to russian translation (now 48% complete), minor update to german translation.
  • Update 2012/07/011 to 1.1.9: Just minor corrections to the German translation and the very beginning of a Portuguese translation.
  • Update 2012/07/05 to 1.1.8: Feyndwarf can now only mount next to Richard (again), Lorelei doesn't continue to ask her question in sceanrio 15, lightrunes in sceanrio 17 won't have their aura redrawn if activated twice, update to the russian translation (now including 42% translated strings)
  • Update 2012/06/30 to 1.1.7:http://r.wesnoth.org/p532345
  • Update 2012/06/27 to 1.1.6: A LOT more spelling corrections (especially sc7-18) and scenario 6, 12 and 16 got a new story picture
  • Update 2012/06/17 to 1.1.5: Some more spelling corrections and two broken file links fixed
  • Update 2012/06/15 to 1.1.4: Just some spelling corrections
  • Update 2012/06/15 to 1.1.3: Added complete German translation
  • Update 2012/06/14 to 1.1.2: Translation related bugfixes
  • Update 2012/06/13 to 1.1.1: Inclusion of some Russian and German translations
  • Update 2012/06/11 to 1.1.0:http://r.wesnoth.org/p531013
  • Update 2012/06/07 to 1.0.9: Mounting code reworked - mounting is now possible without moving a unit first
  • Update 2012/05/31 to 1.0.8:http://r.wesnoth.org/p530195
  • Update 2012/05/28 to 1.0.7: Fixed a bug in scenario 6 that caused an error message
  • Update 2012/05/21 to 1.0.6: http://r.wesnoth.org/p529207
  • Update 2012/05/01 to 1.0.5: The training lessen ins scenario 4 (The Race) finally works as intended and increases monunted Clyde's move points.
  • Update 2012/04/22 to 1.0.4: In scenario 15 (Army of Darkness) the barrage can no longer be blown without the lava being divertet. The gold carryover of all scenarios has been adjusted.
  • Update 2012/04/17 to 1.0.3: In scenario 4 (The Race), the player has to leave the center island in round 2 now, some minor tweaks to the AI in scenario 16.
  • Update 2012/03/29 to 1.0.2: Removed all unused images to sleaken the download. Slight changes on scenario 16 so that the torture tower is now indeed only accessible by airborn and naval units.
  • Update 2012/03/21 to 1.0.1: An evil bug has sneeked into the release from yesterday preventing the epilogue to play. Some further tweaks on scenario 17 an slightly change last breath events are also inluded in this release.
  • Update 2012/03/20 to 1.0.0: First complete release: [urlhttp://r.wesnoth.org/p524067[/url]
Older Updates
Update 2012/05/21 to 1.0.6:Update 2012/01/03 to 0.9.3: Made some more units loyal that should be
Update 2012/01/03 to 0.9.2: http://r.wesnoth.org/p517503
Update 2011/12/16 to 0.9.1: Scenario 15 has been added
Update 2011/10/06 to 0.8.6: Fixes a bug with the storing of units at the end of scenario 14
Update 2011/10/06 to 0.8.4: Further balancing tweaks of scenario 14 - at least on "hard" it might still be extremly challenging.
Update 2011/09/30 to 0.8.3: Upsi, actually forgot to include the changed map in the last update
Update 2011/09/30 to 0.8.2: Corrected the error of the objective presentation in scenario 14, tried to improve balancing in sc14 (still not perfect though), changed keep, map and starting units of sc14, if ghosts in sc13 are defeated, next mission stage starts instantly, Richard doesn't jump to the top after his arrival anymore.
Update 2011/09/29 to 0.8.1: http://r.wesnoth.org/p508726
Update 2011/07/29 to 0.7.3: Some corrections in the code to make things work that didn't work with the last update.
Update 2011/07/28 to 0.7.2: Tweaks to dialogues and the map of scenario 13, daytime changes after battle.
Update 2011/07/27 to 0.7.1: With scenario 13 now fully playable, the campaign is now about 75% complete. :-)
Update 2011/07/28 to 0.7.0: http://r.wesnoth.org/p499186
Update 2011/04/30 to 0.6.2: http://r.wesnoth.org/p487211
Update 2011/04/21 to 0.6.0: http://r.wesnoth.org/p486204
Update 2011/03/21 to 0.5.2: http://r.wesnoth.org/p482638 plus: Clyde's "lightswitch" does not have to be used twice to change is aura setting after mounting/dismounting, Clyde isn't invisible at the begining of Sc7 anymore, bigger changes to Sc9 and 10 and some further AI tweaks
Update 2011/02/25 to 0.4.5: http://r.wesnoth.org/p480400
Update 2011/02/12 to 0.4.3: Deactivated scatter_image in Sc10 since it caused all sorts of random erros. (might be reactivated when Wesnoth 1.95. is out)
Update 2011/02/08 to 0.4.2: Fixed Clydes Inspire ability when mounted
Update 2011/01/21 to 0.3.11: Feynddwarfs loosing health when dismounting is fixed and mounted Feyndwarf has now only 9 instead of 10 MP.
Update 2011/02/05 to 0.4.1: Inclusion of scenario 9, language of the dwarvs got dwafyfied (thanks to king_scrooge!), some other fixes
Update 2011/01/21 to 0.3.10: You can now level Feyndwarf and dismounting afterwards and Sc7 is won after the round limit.
Update 2011/01/20 to 0.3.9: Snow-White doesn't regain MP after Clyde dismounted, Merdor has the same ship on Sc2 & 7, some more minor changes
Update 2011/01/16 to 0.3.8: A graphical glitch in Sc7 is removed
Update 2011/01/16 to 0.3.7: Now, from scenario 7 on, Feyndwarf should be able to dismount too!
Update 2011/01/16 to 0.3.6: Fixed Clyde becomming invisible at the beginning of scenario 7
Update 2011/01/16 to 0.3.5 See post 55 of this thread. http://r.wesnoth.org/p475083
Update 2010/12/18 to 0.2.3 Scenario 6 added and a couple of bugs fixed. One feature of scenario 6 still missing but completly playable.
Update 2010/12/06 to 0.2.0 Scenario 5 added. Great number of bugs fixed (Ceres, you migth name them all :wink: ).
Update 2010/11/30 to 0.1.8: Fixed a Bug causing scenario 4 to be always won.
Update 2010/11/30 to 0.1.7: Changes already mentioned in post #37 including addition of scenario 4. http://r.wesnoth.org/p467278
Update 2010/11/24 to 0.1.6: Fixed the enemy of scenario 3 behaving like brain-dead
Update 2010/11/22 to 0.1.5: Scenario 3 added (might not yet be perfect)
Update 2010/11/21 to 0.1.4: Haldric & Jessica statues in Wehlot, fixed a bug of mounted Clyde not having the abillities he should have, some spelling mistakes corrected.
Update 2010/11/20: Finally we have the heart to upload a new version: Still only two campaignes playable, but the mounting feature is pretty sophisticated now.
Changes:
- Implementation of mounting/dismounting functionality (97% complete)
- Completion of the main hero line (due to the mounting functionality, seven units)
- Second scenario
- Individual Portraits and Sprites for Clyde and Harriett (not yet appearing)
- Inclusion of Kitty’s upcoming Haldric II Portrait
- Animated light house in scenario two.
- Brick-kiln with blue fire in scenario one.
- Individual story and map pictures
- Maps finished till scenario 13 (Dialogues written, but not yet implemented)
- A lot of other stuff you can’t see yet
Update 2010/11/03: We still add something to the campaign every day so nothing stands still here. But as long as our mounting/dismountg feature isn't fool prove, we wouldn't like someone to encounter a lot of very strange behavior we already know about. But expect more mission towards the weekend.
Update 2010/10/26: Ceres did some early implementation of Clyde's ability to mount Snow-white. Thus some more content of scenario 1 has become playable. Since this early development release is on the 1.9 add-on server, I no longer keept the files attached here.
Update2 2010/10/25: Got the AMLA for the Unihorse rigth.
Update 2010/10/25: The first scenario seems playable now. That means that for the first time, the victory event can be triggered by killing the orcs. I still don't konw why there is no victory message and if there is a possibility to have the victory event triggering instantly after the last orc is killed instead of at the end of the round where that is happening.
Known Bugs
- After dismounting and mounting again, the MP change that occured in scenario 1 due to the flowers is lost for mounted Clyde
- Mounting/Dismounting could be "missused" to transfer some HP from a healthy unit to a very wounded unit.
- No music yet
Screenshoots:
The fellowship of the clay: May contain spoilers
Short story: When the humans arrived at the great continent, they needed a new and safe home. Building such a (first) capital, called, Wehlot, was what Haldric – the first human King on the continent –planed and started during his regency. His son – Haldric II – finished this project exceeding all expectations, among other things because of a new invention: “the brick”. Unknown to Haldric II, his father made a deal with a stranger from whom he “bought” the island on which Wehlot was build. The deal stated that the stranger is allowed to claim a live for every 20 hexes, Wehlot is big. Haldric thought he could outsmart the stranger by planning on keeping his castle small while founding villages around the island.
Spoiler:
Canon consistency:
Though the Kingdom is already called Wesnoth, there is no talk of Weldyn so far, so it is possible to call a first attempt of a capital Wehlot. The bigger, natural human city is Dan Tok. Academy on Alduin founded in 21 YW. Wesmere Elves are controlled by four Elvish Lords (Dionli, Logalmier, Aryad, and El'Isomithir - TRoW).
To be considered:
In 25 YW the Scepter of Fire is commissioned (finished but lost in 40 YW)

Characters:
Characters:

King Haldirc II, son of Haldric:
He is just the King and not playable. He will give you your task.

Main Heroes (the later Fellowship of the clay):
Clyde, the Knight of the Light:
Spoiler:
Legomir:
Spoiler:
Feyndwarf:
Spoiler:
Harriett Porter,
Spoiler:
The head of the school of Alduin, "Great Mage Merdor", a mermaid and an Elvish councilmember will also accompany the party.

The bad Guy:
Spoiler:
Story discussion takes place here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31956
Last edited by Reval on July 1st, 2013, 11:42 am, edited 125 times in total.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: "The fellowhip of the Clay" story about humans gaining g

Post by Gambit »

Please don't keep doing this. Compile the dialog in a file, or multiple files, and include those in your zip on the first post.
I won't delete your posts yet. I'll give you time to copy the text into those files (in case you don't have backups), but in a few days these posts will be gone except the first one.
Reval

Post by Reval »

If it makes you happier, I can certainly put the mission descriptions and dialogues in txt-files. As said, I lack the skills to put them in well written cfg-files, if you mean that by compiling.
Since this post is about getting feedback on the idea and testing its apeal, I will ask you to let the first three posts as they are. Eventually these are key components of the scenario that will likely not be found literally in the campaing and only by providing an easy access to these ideas, this post can fullfil its purpose.

Any other non technical comments with regard to content?

Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I cleaned up the thread a bit more. You can adjust the formatting to suit, but please don't make a ton of double posts like that again.
Reval wrote: Any other non technical comments with regard to content?
Sadly no. Writing is not my area. Sorry I can't be more helpful there. However I could move this over to Writer's Forum if you'd like. The people over there might be more helpful than that regard.

Coding in Wesnoth really isn't that hard. You should give it a shot. WML is a pretty friendly language and there is plenty of documentation, resources, and community help available.
Reval

Post by Reval »

Gambit wrote:you'd like. The people over there might be more helpful than that regard.
Better not since the writing isn't my problem but the coding is - so, the writer's forum would be preachingto the choir.

And spliting it upinto multiple posts just had the purpose of readebility - but your solution works as well ;-)
I also expected a maximum message length....

Reval

Post by Reval »

Since I now tried to write at least the first scenario on my own, I can ask for a more concrete help than "implementation": Scenario one can surely easily made playable. Anyone wants to try?

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

For one, you do not have to include images from the core in your files. It is not expected for you to cite them, either.

Also, these are not core:
"Great Legend Era
Fate of a Princess
Era of Magic"

But you said they were :)

It's spelled "Fellowship", in your main.cfg it is spelled "Fellowhip" and "Felloship", it is usually considered bad to mispell things two different ways :lol2:

Scenario 1: What in the world is {MOOD_CALM} ???

# wmllint: local spellings :debug :nodebug --- you don't have to put this there...

"type=Knight of the Light"
you have no such unit.

What is the point of having tons of peasants, when if one dies you lose...? Also, you have the same amount of everything on easy, normal, and hard. There are no defeat or victory events, your events have no names (so they will not fire), etc. I could go on.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but please take the time to actually learn WML and to correctly spell English words before writing a campaign. I'm not sure how you learned this much thus far without actually testing a scenario, but you aren't going to go any farther unless you do some more complete study.

Refer to the WML guides in the wiki, and to simple(ish) campaigns such as Heir to the Throne, "A Simple Campaign" on the add-ons server (1.8 and 1.9) gives a framework to base everything off of.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reval

Post by Reval »

Thanks for you quick response bigkahuna!
There is a response for everything ;-)
First, I wanted to cite the core + "Great Legend Era, Fate of a Princess, Era of Magic".
Second, I incleded the few files/bytes from the core again, because I want to use them for further modification, e.g. mounted Clyde.
Third, I really thougth I made a "Knight of the Light", though the unit-cfg is called Clyde.cfg - wrong?
Forth, the Peasants are there for two reasons: They do what peasants do: They till thier fields. Additionally, It shouldn't be that hard to kill four Orcs, so to make it more realistic and at least a little challanging, I added that objective. Though the upper two peasants might be to much.
Fifth, well, I just know that I am far to unexpirienced to learn WML to a sufficient degree and write the scenarios. That is exactly why I opened this thread. But I thought I migth have a look at how far I come until somebody responds.
Six: Regarding the spelling mistake: I honestly thank you for telling me the mistake: Without any spellchecker (which no editor has), my dyslexia is quite out of control: I would have never found the three different spellings on my own. That is why I try to c&p as much as possible, but obviously that doesn't prefen copying the mistake. ;-)
So you are probably right: This campaign will only see the light if somebody will help me with the programming,

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Reval wrote:First, I wanted to cite the core + "Great Legend Era, Fate of a Princess, Era of Magic".
Put those three add-ons in a different [entry].
Reval wrote:I incleded the few files/bytes from the core again, because I want to use them for further modification, e.g. mounted Clyde.
Okay.
Reval wrote:Third, I really thougth I made a "Knight of the Light", though the unit-cfg is called Clyde.cfg - wrong?
My bad.
Reval wrote:Forth, the Peasants are there for two reasons: They do what peasants do: They till thier fields. Additionally, It shouldn't be that hard to kill four Orcs, so to make it more realistic and at least a little challanging, I added that objective. Though the upper two peasants might be to much.
Exactly- not enough challenge, but not many units to complete that challenge. Too small-scale.
Reval wrote:Six: Regarding the spelling mistake...
Sorry... I just get annoyed with everyone blaming it on English being their 2nd language or such... I think they are really just people who failed English Grammar :lol2:
Reval wrote:[[#5 and...]] So you are probably right: This campaign will only see the light if somebody will help me with the programming.
Unfortunately, you'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to give their time and energy to code a half-baked (though I liked how you already outlined the dialogue and such) campaign idea. I would either be content with
A. playing campaigns
B. learn more WML and do something amazing, or
C. learn a bit more WML, come up with a good idea, and get someone who likes your idea to co-author it.

NEVER expect someone just to do the work for you. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Plenty of people are willing to give small help and ideas, though.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Reval

Post by Reval »

I had to start somewhere, didn't I? :-)
bigkahuna wrote:C. learn a bit more WML, come up with a good idea, and get someone who likes your idea to co-author it.

NEVER expect someone just to do the work for you. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Plenty of people are willing to give small help and ideas, though.
Well, I think I go with option C, since I thought I already had a good idea. ;-)
I didn't expect someone to do all the work. Eventually I am allready doing something and I guess I progressed pretty fast with the thinks I can do. Unfortunately that algorythms lecture is almost ten years in the past - that is why I just want to be unobtrusive and acknowledge, that somebody else has to be the main code writer while I try to do the rest.

Reval

Post by Reval »

Thanks to bigkahuna, I was able to do the latest update. As you see, I continue to fail tho get the endcondition right. If someone knows what to do about it...

Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

nice to have another campaign author, but in your second scenario...
-there are no events called 'ghost' or 'mounted' (you have an macro called mounting, but it is not used)
-same for 'right_field' and 'ghost_die'
-your endlevel tag has to be in another event, like ther death of an unit or an moveto event:
[event]
name=die
[filter]
(whoever has to die that it triggers, id=...)
[/filter]
(endlevel tag)
[/event]
edit:some typos fixed
Reval

Post by Reval »

Ceres wrote:nice to have another campaign author, but in your second scenario...
Completly true, the .cfg for the second scenario is just a scaffold and not done. I know, should have next scenario=null in the first one, but I wanted to see if the second is called correctly.
As said, I am not really a programmer and thus the current state of the campaign should be regarded as an appetizer for someone who wants to become my co-auther. :-)

Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Reval wrote:...should be regarded as an appetizer for someone who wants to become my co-auther. :-)
The idea is not bad, i think an interesting campaign could be made out of this . So if you want that i help you with your campaigns with some WML, i'd not say
no :).
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

I am playing on Wesnoth 1.9.1 development version. I finished your 1st scenario. Then it said "The End;" I didn't get a 2nd scenario. I see that there is actually a 2nd scenario installed on my hard drive, so something must be wrong with your code. I hit "update add-ons" before writing this and no scenario update was loaded.

I didn't have a problem with "protect the peasants," although I didn't notice the "death of a peasant" loss condition on my 1st play. Assuming the player doesn't cheat and start moving the peasants before getting Snow-White, there is only 1 peasant who can't run out of range of the orcs on Turn 1. He will be attacked by 1 wolf but it's broad daylight so he's not likely to die on the 1st attack. Because I am an experienced Wesnoth player, I set up a screen of spearmen, archers, and my leader to guard the peasants as they run to safety. I even took advantage of AI stupidity, knowing that it would prefer to attack archers, so I put the archers at the ends of the lines where only 1 wolf can reach them instead of 2. This minimizes the number of units attacking any 1 of my units. Thus I took no losses, everyone got back to the castle safely, and it was only a matter of time before I picked off the paltry orc raiding party. If I have a complaint, it's that I had to push around way too many units for not a lot of actual fighting.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.