"The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Reval

Re: "The fellowhip of the Clay" story about humans gaining g

Post by Reval »

king_scrooge wrote:This campaign looks like it will be cool once completed, currently I find it to be the easiest campaign. I am glad that you are working on increasing the difficulty. While playing I found the grammar quite atrocious, while personally my grammar is far from perfect I could do better than what has been done. I would be glad to help you with it if help is needed.

No offense to you, or ceres, but when I played it I expected to find it was made by non-english speaking people just because of the poor grammar.

Good luck on the campaign reval and ceres! :wink:

~KS
Sure, everything that helps improving the campaign is welcome. What would you propose to manage any corrections?
Basically you could do any modifications directly in the cfgs but we have to assure at least that you have the newest versions and that only one person works at some specific file on a given time.
The next bigger update including scenario 7 and a much more complete version of scenario 6 is comming closer too.

For the difficulty: The next update also includes an increased difficulty in scenario 1 & 2 but still, we think that balancing is best done carefully. I guess to easy is better than to hard for a campaign in development since the latter could cause the campaign to be unplayable.
Another point is that we have an unusual amount of heros who aren't allowed to die. This alone makes increasing the difficulty problematic.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
king_scrooge

Post by king_scrooge »

Basically all I will be doing is double checking spelling and over all grammar. I will mention if I re-write a sentence, but I doubt I will have to go beyond minor errors, such as spelling. I did not realize the simplicity of the .cfg files, I am quite familiar with the editing of such files. I currently have version 0.2.4, I will remove the text from the .cfg file so it will be easier for me to edit, and when the time comes for me to put it in your cfg (or you put it in your self, which ever is easiest) it will be a simple copy paste job.

EDIT:: I will pm the changes to you when I get them done so you can look over them.
~KS
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Excuse me, for such stupid question : But how works the "eating flowers" way ?
Thanks
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Maybe it was not explained well enough, will look over it soon.
You eat them by moving on a hex with some flowers on it (Gg^Efm).
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Ihanks
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Okay, I played through your campaign. The first scenario had kind of ambiguous objectives (as ydcl already noted) but I was able to figure it out eventually. Second scenario was good, but kind of easy. (300 my gold versus 75 their gold) I think the blue guys probably shouldn't be ai guardians because they never move out, at least on the easier difficulty. The nagas/saurians never even get close to the castle, so they're kind of useless. Anyways, third scenario where you meet the elves and kill bats? going through the cave (and the forest too) is very slow. You might want to put some areas of flat ground so as to make it not so trudging. Fourth scenario I almost lost, because every village I took had an enemy but every village he took didn't. Finally, toward the end, a scorpion found the outrider and poisoned him, which caused him to stop.
Scenario five...probably had too much map for its own good. Both enemies are on the left side of the map, meaning that the right side never gets used. We tramp our armies toward each other and I win. pretty straightforward. :D The sixth scenario I kind of liked, what with the disco dwarf and all. :lol2: I never played scenario seven because it wasn't made when I played the other day.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Mountain_King wrote:(300 my gold versus 75 their gold)
Eh, even on easy the enemy has 130 gold. But I admit, it could be harder.
Mountain_King wrote:The nagas/saurians never even get close to the castle, so they're kind of useless.
Do you mean complete side 3 or the saurians coming out of the swamp?
Mountain_King wrote:going through the cave (and the forest too) is very slow
There's already a way through the forest, but none in the cave, which might be added.
Mountain_King wrote:meaning that the right side never gets used.
Besides that there is the gryphon, no. And because non-rectangular maps look strange in campaigns, there is on almost every map an area which isn't used.
Thanks for playing!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Ceres wrote:
Mountain_King wrote:(300 my gold versus 75 their gold)
Eh, even on easy the enemy has 130 gold. But I admit, it could be harder.
Mountain_King wrote:The nagas/saurians never even get close to the castle, so they're kind of useless.
Do you mean complete side 3 or the saurians coming out of the swamp?
Mountain_King wrote:going through the cave (and the forest too) is very slow
There's already a way through the forest, but none in the cave, which might be added.
Mountain_King wrote:meaning that the right side never gets used.
Besides that there is the gryphon, no. And because non-rectangular maps look strange in campaigns, there is on almost every map an area which isn't used.
Thanks for playing!
Double checked, you're right about the gold. I don't remember any Saurians coming out of the swamp though, there was just the ones the naga recruited. About scenario three I meant slow through the forest for someone who likes to grab all the villages on the map. :)
In scenario five, it's over half the map that isn't used (with the exception of the gryphon)! You might want to rework the map on that scenario in some way. Otherwise, not bad.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Reval

Post by Reval »

Mountain_King wrote: Double checked, you're right about the gold. I don't remember any Saurians coming out of the swamp though, there was just the ones the naga recruited. About scenario three I meant slow through the forest for someone who likes to grab all the villages on the map. :)
In scenario five, it's over half the map that isn't used (with the exception of the gryphon)! You might want to rework the map on that scenario in some way. Otherwise, not bad.
Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Hehe, Ceres forgot that the Saurians he refered to in scenario 2 are in our development version for some time but not in the version on the add-on server. :-)

Thus, it is only in the coming update that scenario 1 & 2 will get a difficulty increase and a gold carry over devrease (it was indeed to much).
For Scenario 3: Well, if you don't take all the villages, than you are PRETTY quick through the forest and in the cave (round 4). We just didn't want to have the forest completly empty.
For Scenario 4: Than you realy had bad luck since it is completly random if a monster appears - at least Eleonor doesn't have an advantage with respect to this. Anyway, it is supposed not to be completly easy. ;-)
Scenario 5: Kind of true what you say about the map. The reason is that we wanted to have the gryphon more active at first but he alway commited suicide thus we made him passive. Sooner or later this scenario will have some stronger enemies and maybe some changes to what you have to do with the gryphon. Thus we keep the map until we have decided.

As said, Ceres has already put a lot of very good programming work into the next update. We hope to release it this week and since it includes not only changes and tweaks to most scenarios as well as a more sophoisticated scenario 6 and the completly new scenario 7, we regard it as a bigger update. :)

Reval

Re: "The fellowhip of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Post by Reval »

So, we are just preparing our next Update (should be availible during the next couple of hours), which has become possible after Ceres did some overtime on this.
Since I guess this is our biggest update so far, I will list the changes in this post.
First things first:
- After popular demand, scenario 1 has a few extra enemies to increase the difficulty.
- Units of sc1 are stored for later usableness.
- Sc2 also has some extra enemies.
- Sc1 & 2 got a spell check by king_scrooge.
- A whole bunch of errors that where probably unnoticed so far got fixed.
- A bigger update to sc6 with a little less things happen automatically.
- A new Sprite for Legomir including an attack annimation.
- A fully new unit, including new sprite, for sc6: smal spider.
- A completly new sc7 which is so far probably the most difficult scenario with the most fighting and a lot of story advancement. Sc7 completes the first half of our ampaign
- Addition of story-only scenario 8 which lays out the second half of the story.

For welcome feedback, I refer to the first post of this thread which might be a guide for complaints and suggestions

Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

After scenario 6 Feyndwarf should be able to mount/dismount the gryphon like Clyde, but it does not work perfectly yet, and I need to check it. So no worries of therer's a menu item which does not work.
Reval

Post by Reval »

I included a "Known Bugs" section in the first post - so if you found a bug, you might check if we are already aware of it. :)
Besides, Ceres enabled Feyndwarf to mount and dismount.

king_scrooge

Post by king_scrooge »

I enjoyed playing the next level of the campaign. I did run into a problem while playing the last scenario. When I dismounted feyndwarf from his gryphon he only had 1hp.

Also there is a small issue (which probably isnt even an issue) with AI's in scenario 2, I moved Clyde from the keep to a village, then one of the Ai's on side 2 stood on the keep to attack a naga. After killing the naga he continued to stay there for 5 turns when I finally gave in and took control of side 2 then moved him.

Keep up the good work!
~KS
Reval

Post by Reval »

king_scrooge wrote:When I dismounted feyndwarf from his gryphon he only had 1hp.
Did you play with the latest version from the add-on server, namely 0.3.11? Because we were pretty sure that we fixed this issue so it would be important to know if we are wrong.
king_scrooge wrote:Also there is a small issue (which probably isnt even an issue) with AI's in scenario 2, I moved Clyde from the keep to a village, then one of the Ai's on side 2 stood on the keep to attack a naga. After killing the naga he continued to stay there for 5 turns when I finally gave in and took control of side 2 then moved him.
Ok, here you seem to have found an unfortunate possibility: Side 2 is meant to be passive which obviously causes a problem if one of the guys overcomes his passiveness to move to the keep. Though it is probably a rare cicumstance, we have to think about it.
king_scrooge wrote:Keep up the good work!
Thanks! :)

Version 0.4.0 including scenario 9 is also almost done and will be released in a couple of days. :D

lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I found the whole campaign quite nice and I'm looking forward to see sc9 =)

Great work =)

PS: I downloaded it today from the addon server and the dismount-1hp is still there ^^;