To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: To Lands Unknown

Post by Dixie »

I got the error later at turn 17. I never saw a lizard messenger. I also have the flying reinforcements fake unit images frozen somewhere on the field, and there was the mounted leader who stayed at the bottom, which I could kill (it had 55HPs and 0% defense). I've skipped a few turns but nothing will appear anymore, so I dunno. I do not think it really is my fixing the image extension in the terrain graphics files that caused the error, seriously.

I should specify, though, that I am playing on 1.9.1, and I know there was work done on the MOVE_UNIT macro, so maybe that's where the error stems for, and not from the add-on... Kinda is a bother, though. I'll just restart on 1.8 if need be :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
IPS

Post by IPS »

inferno8 wrote:I started working on it 11 months ago. I have discovered how to make multi-hex landscape maps (or whatever you call that :P ) and I decided to use this feature in this campaign. I am proud to say this is the first add-on with such a thing. You probably won't believe me, but yes - I painted all this graphics myself, so they are not perfect (I am not a real artist), nevertheless I hope you'll like them.
So ... you were working in it 11 months ago ... so you started this proyect in august of the last year? (o.o!) indeed that took much time!!.

The Graphics does like awesome, I have not tested it at the momments, but it does like very very interesting so I will test it then.

note: Im not a campaigns player, but this does like GREAT!
wesfreak wrote:I'll continue posting grammar mistakes as I play the campaign.
I will too wesfreak ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Dixie wrote:As you can read, it says terrain/m01 misses the .png extension. Maybe it plays fine and is an OS thing: I am on Mac OSX, so maybe Windows or whatever else you use doesn't require file extensions but OSX does, I dunno.
Strange. I have just removed my local copy, downloaded the campaign and everything works fine. Before I sent the add-on on the 1.9 server, I had made 1.8 to 1.9 wml conversion, but on your picture I can read that I had not done it (it says the colour is deprecated, but I don't have this error). It looks like you're using the the campaign version designed for 1.8 on 1.9.
Dixie wrote:Yeah, modifying your terrain graphics macros did it. Since I took 5 minutes to fix my version, I figure I could as well save you that 5 minutes - here's my fix
It's very kind of you, but the campaign on 1.9 add-ons server has all these improvements. I really don't know how you didn't have them. :? Download the campaign once again and check yourself.
Dixie wrote:There's a lot of text things I noticed
Excellent, thank you :wink:
Dixie wrote:Edit: Looking at your code, I realise you didn't use Lua, but some macro you called used it. (the MOVE_UNIT macro?) Maybe you gave it a bad argument or something. No unit ever moved, anyway.
This error is caused by unit accessing impassable terrain (in that case 'void' on the edge of the map). I'll fix it.
Dixie wrote:I got the error later at turn 17. I never saw a lizard messenger. I also have the flying reinforcements fake unit images frozen somewhere on the field, and there was the mounted leader who stayed at the bottom, which I could kill (it had 55HPs and 0% defense). I've skipped a few turns but nothing will appear anymore, so I dunno. I do not think it really is my fixing the image extension in the terrain graphics files that caused the error, seriously.
I'll check this scenario and all others.
IPS wrote:So ... you were working in it 11 months ago ... so you started this project in august of the last year? (o.o!) indeed that took much time!!.
Yes, I had to code, paint and write the story. The most difficult part of work was terrain graphics. I had to measure maps and compare with sketches, then remove unused hexes. At the beginning it was a hell, but after all this time my skills improved. I needed one day to make the last mission from scratch, while I spent 3 months on the first scenario.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Could somebody explain how I can install the game for 1.8 version. I can download the file, but I don't know how to continue from there on.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

After downloading the TLU addon from the server, you must put it in your add-ons folder.
In Mac OS, it's Library/Application Support/Wesnoth 1.8/data/add-ons (I think...been a while since I had 1.8 )
In Windows it's, er, um...
<-- does not use Windows :augh:
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Thank you, I just realised that it is now also available for 1.8 on the usual way.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

I'm just playing it right now, (scenario 3, nearly killed that guy). This campaign is just...utterly *amazing*. That has got to have been the best 11 months you could've spent your life on (at least for us :P)

/me hopes for mainline inclusion >.>

EDIT: how do I win scenario 3/4? I've killed all the barbarians...
EDIT2: Sounds like a bug, I did what it said in the code and it didn't win -> ":n" :D
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Unnheulu wrote:That has got to have been the best 11 months you could've spent your life on (at least for us :P)
Both ;)
Unnheulu wrote:how do I win scenario 3/4? I've killed all the barbarians...
Then you should win. I would like to see the replay of your game.

As Sandermatt noticed the campaign is now available on 1.8. You no longer have to use 1.9 or the download link in the first post. :)
Creator of Era of Magic

Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Sure, here's a replay...
Attachments
TLU-Southern_Nations_replay.gz
(58.07 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I finished the campaign on normal level on Wesnoth 1.8.4. I played the addon available from the file hosting website.
The use of multihex terrain is a very good idea and makes this campaign unique. It is a good way to solve the problem of scale between the map and the units.
The story is good, and can be used to improve the descriptions of the units and races of the era.

Also, I have noted this while I played :
- The attacks 'iceball' and 'light beam' of RashtiRhami are pierce attacks. Shouldn't they be cold and arcane attacks instead ? I discovered this when I was killing the Matriarch of Emptiness in the scenario Mag Magar.
- True Rashti lacks a name and a blue crown in the first scenarios she appears. In the last scenarios, she has a gold crown.
- In Far North, is it possible to add an option at the begining of the scenario to remove all the effects of the scenario, including the sound effects and the lightnings ? I played without rain effects, but the lightnings slow the game when they occurs (are there some gameplay alterations when they occurs ?), and the rain sound is annoying after playing the scenario during two hours (also, it stops when I open a game window, like the help window or the recruit / recall windows)
- Still in Far North, a part of the ally's army have a defensive behaviour and don't move.
- In The Last Summoner, is it possible to make the activation of the turn limit a little more obvious (adding a white warning note in the objectives for exemple) ? I missed the gameplay change the first time I played it.
- In Sun Dome, some ennemies are created as leaders and don't move.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, I'm sorry, something must have gone wrong, somehow :s I will just redownload the campaign from the server, then. Thanks!
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Feufochmar wrote:- The attacks 'iceball' and 'light beam' of RashtiRhami are pierce attacks. Shouldn't they be cold and arcane attacks instead ?
Oops.
Feufochmar wrote:- True Rashti lacks a name and a blue crown in the first scenarios she appears. In the last scenarios, she has a gold crown.
I'll fix it.
Feufochmar wrote:- In Far North, is it possible to add an option at the begining of the scenario to remove all the effects of the scenario, including the sound effects and the lightnings ?
Yes, it is possible. I will add this option in the next release. I will also think about making a right-click menu to allow player turn off lightnings and/or sound of rain.
Feufochmar wrote:- Still in Far North, a part of the ally's army have a defensive behaviour and don't move.
This is an intentional action. Remember that they are defending the city. When an allied unit makes a move it get a 'guardian' ai. It doesn't move, until enemy is in it's range.
Feufochmar wrote:- In The Last Summoner, is it possible to make the activation of the turn limit a little more obvious (adding a white warning note in the objectives for exemple) ? I missed the gameplay change the first time I played it.
Sure.
Feufochmar wrote:- In Sun Dome, some enemies are created as leaders and don't move.
That's right. I had to make them leaders in order to save the ownership of villages. Silver and Gold Warriors appear on villages that belong to Kharosans. If a side has no leader all villages loose their ownership.

Edit:

@Unnheulu: could you tell me on which version of BfW did you played that scenario? I'm getting out of sync errors.
Creator of Era of Magic

Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Erm, r46890 or something
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Unnheulu wrote:r46890
Strange, it doesn't look like 1.8.5, nor 1.9. :hmm: I suggest you to play this scenario once again. One of my friends encountered similar bug in mission 5 and this helped.
Creator of Era of Magic

Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

r46890 is a version build from the svn repository. This version (date : Sun Oct 3 11:19:22 2010) is more up to date than the 1.9.1.