To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: To Lands Unknown - 3.2 Beta - now on GitHub!

Post by Konrad2 »

Triple strike seems to harm surrounding units, but after the fight is over, the harmed units hp resets to what it was before the fight.

Siege of Kharos
Two Silver Warriors were placed on impassable hexes.

Great Warlocks don't have the standard AMLA. (I was wrong or you already fixed that one.)

EDIT:
More unit on impassable hexes, but those never get their move points reaised from 0 on top of it.

EDIT 2:
Glomins 'activate drone' ability doesn't work.

Replays
Spoiler:
Complete table
Spoiler:
Attachments
TLU-Defense of Saffaros-Auto-Save14.gz
Something that happened in the previous turn.
(206.42 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
iridium137

Post by iridium137 »

I got an "invalid WML" message. I can't seem to replicate it though, so I'm not sure what actually triggered it.
Attachments
invalid_wml.png
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Campaign should use [load_resource] to get the events which are defined in era.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

iridium137 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 5:03 am I got an "invalid WML" message. I can't seem to replicate it though, so I'm not sure what actually triggered it.
I had that error too, but I fixed that in the latest beta (or so I believed). Are you playing the most recent version?
Ravana wrote: August 19th, 2021, 10:10 amCampaign should use [load_resource] to get the events which are defined in era.
There is a file called "campaign.cfg" in Era of Magic folder, which is loaded in TLU's _main.cfg at line 73 via: {~add-ons/Era_of_Magic/campaign.cfg}. In campaign.cfg there is a code fragment, which appends lua preload event like this:

Code: Select all

[+campaign]
    [event]
        name=preload
        first_time_only=no
        [lua]
            code=<<
wesnoth.dofile "~add-ons/Era_of_Magic/lua/preload.lua"
>>
        [/lua]
    [/event]
[/campaign]
It works for me (I no longer get those warnings), but if this new [load_resource] tag is the proper way of doing it nowadays, then so be it.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Both ways should work, but [load_resource] means you do not need to write the event content twice. It is mostly relevant in case there is interest to load I8CUSTOMPLAGUEEVENT and eoma_wesnoth_bug_3827 events into campaign too.
iridium137

Post by iridium137 »

inferno8 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 10:48 am
iridium137 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 5:03 am I got an "invalid WML" message. I can't seem to replicate it though, so I'm not sure what actually triggered it.
I had that error too, but I fixed that in the latest beta (or so I believed). Are you playing the most recent version?
I am. However, I loaded a save from beta 2, then played in beta 3, and got this message a few turns later. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Duncan_Shriek

Post by Duncan_Shriek »

In 12_Siege_of_Mag-Magar victory failed to trigger, when the living gate swallowed the last enemy leader.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello everyone. I have another piece of interesting news about the upcoming big TLU 3.2 update ;) This time I am going to give you a little sneak peak at some of the overhauled story screens and portraits.

As you probably know already, TLU has been around for more than a decade and some of its art assets never have been updated, so there is still room for improvement. The aforementioned story images and portraits require a lot of skill to make them look good enough. I didn't have much experience back in 2010 but things are different now.

Here are 2 examples of new story screens (there are still wip). Its worth to mention that apart from remastering old stuff there will be new additions too. My goal is to make all story slides look pleasant with as few 'black screens' as possible.
Story screens (examples)
abyss.jpg
alkamija.jpg
Now let's talk about portraits. I've been working on them for the past 2 weeks. Not all portraits will be overhauled for 3.2, but some key characters really need to be improved. If you are familiar with TLU story, feel free to see the spoilers ahead, but if you have never played it or want a surprise during your another playthrough, just ignore that part of my post.
Portraits (spoilers)
In the upcoming update Rashti is going to receive a completely new set of portraits. These are still wip so they may change in the final release, but I am already happy with the results so far. She has a more natural shape and visible lips. I am aware that die-hard TLU fans may find it difficult to get used to her new look (I've stopped playing default BfW since devs removed my beloved anime Li'sar portrait :lol: ) but I think these new portraits are an improvement. Maybe I'll provide players an easy way to switch to old portraits, if there is a demand for that.
rashti-noncombat.png
rashti-noncombat.png (116.55 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
rashti-ho.png
rashti-ho.png (220.89 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
rashti-dharma.png
rashti-dharma.png (215.36 KiB) Viewed 1703 times

What about True Rashti? I've just finished one of her portraits, but I think it's better to let you find out how she looks now once the next version is out. By the way, I am going to repaint Almathis too, because at the moment he looks like a <censored>.
I am planning to release To Lands Unknown 3.2 Final* in sync with the newest stable Battle for Wesnoth 1.16 (which will probably be delivered this fall).
*the word 'final' doesn't mean it is the end of TLU development - it just means the 3.2 beta stage is completed, and I am pretty sure there will be another major versions like 3.3 or 3.4 after that one.
Tarcil wrote: August 17th, 2021, 2:43 pm I REALLY like the setting and the factions etc. But rather I would be curious to see if the story continues. The universe is really cool and I would love to discover what Al-Kamija has to face in the Abyss...
I'd love to create new content, but first I want TLU to match the quality of core Battle for Wesnoth campaigns. Why? Because I have a plan to use TLU as a mean to draw people's attention to Battle for Wesnoth and make this game thrive once again. Most of you will probably agree with me, that despite its own flaws, To Lands Unknown is a memorable, one of a kind add-on that offers an experience you will reminisce for a long time. Its unique potential can be used to promote BfW as an excellent modding platform. But first TLU needs to look professional enough to be used for marketing purposes. Only then I can start thinking about additional content. I am going to talk about my plans for TLU universe and BfW in general in the upcoming posts.
That's all for now. More news coming soon. ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

inferno8 wrote: August 28th, 2021, 11:33 am ]I'd love to create new content, but first I want TLU to match the quality of core Battle for Wesnoth campaigns.
You massively underestimate the quality of your work. Mainline is not necessary an ideal to thrive towards, it is simply the norm. No need to undervalue what you spent a lot of time and effort working on - what you are doing is further improving a masterpiece, already one of the best wesnoth campaigns of all time.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

ForestDragon wrote: August 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm Mainline is not necessary an ideal to thrive towards, it is simply the norm.
I want to provide players with something alternative to mainline, which offers at least a similar level of art quality. For the past 11 years I've been trying to introduce new (but not random) people to this game, but I mostly failed because they didn't like mainline stuff. In fact mainline acted like a "firewall" preventing them from trying UMC, which in my opinion is the true power of this game yet not exposed enough. Interestingly a few months later I showed the same people add-ons like Ageless, IftU, EEaW and even your Spartan demo - they were completely amazed and immediately hooked on BfW. It was like: "Man, is this Wesnoth? I thought it was all about that funny ginger guy and that old wizard. What was his name? ...Delorean?" :lol:
The BfW fantasy setting may not be sufficient for some people. This is completely understandable - people's tastes are varied, but I think this is where UMC really shines. I know many people who play BfW only because of superior storytelling of IftU and stunning diversity of Ageless. What's more I know people who play this game, only because it allows them to create stuff and share it with the world. All those people somehow managed to overcome mainline's "firewall" and decided to stay. If only we showed others that BfW is not only a good game with interesting MP but also a powerful modding platform with a library of excellent UMC titles, then I think it would increase BfW popularity at least by several percent. (but I don't want to dwell on this topic right now because it deserves a separate discussion). To sum up, thanks to its visuals (sadly we live in a visual, commercial world) TLU has, in my opinion, a marketing potential which can be used in the future as a mean to drive people's attention to UMC in general and make a great game even better by putting emphasis on engine's modding potential.
ForestDragon wrote: August 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm what you are doing is further improving a masterpiece, already one of the best wesnoth campaigns of all time
That's very kind of you, but don't forget you also have a significant contribution to the success of this add-on ;)
Speaking of TLU improvements, I want it to feel as much complete before I move to new stuff. That's why I've made its repository public, so it can be maintained by others too. That way I can focus on new content in the future without any distractions. Also, all these overhauls allow me to hone my skills and find an art style I may use in my potential projects. If I ever decide to make another campaign of TLU's caliber, then all the experience I've gathered in the last decade will speed my workflow a lot.
Creator of Era of Magic

IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

I just finished my first playthrough of TLU on Wesnoth 1.15.17, version 3.2.0 Beta 3, Difficulty: Wonderful Jinni (Normal).

There are some (minor) issues that I encountered:

I think it would be more appropriate if the mountain graphics in Defense of Saffaros are mountain terrain instead of impassable terrain.

There is a bug with slowing aura and damaging aura.
When Mehir attempts to learn one of those auras, he doesn't learn it.
To reproduce, load this save, kill the adjacent opponent, and choose Slowing Aura. Afterwards, Mehir will not have slowing aura. (same behaviour with damaging aura)
TLU-Defense of Saffaros-Auto-Save4.gz
(164.41 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Note that Mehir has cap of power which might be the cause of this bug. I don't know.

In Siege of Kharos and the following scenarios, there is a FormulaAI deprecation warning.
Spoiler:
In Siege of Kharos, there are some plain tiles that should not be impassable. Those are:
(11, 19), (13, 19), (15, 19), (23, 19), (25, 19)
See also this screenshot where the Earth Elemental cannot reach certain plains above it because those are impassable.
Spoiler:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hi everyone! Today I have another teaser for the upcoming big TLU update coming this Fall ;)

Three new things this time:

1) all artifacts have their own "portraits" now:
artifact-images2.jpg
artifact-images1.jpg
2) 3) these are minor spoilers, so click it only if you already know the story:
Spoiler:
Creator of Era of Magic

shevegen

Post by shevegen »

\o/

Who are/were the artists by the way? The style is/was quite unique.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

shevegen wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:49 pm Who are/were the artists by the way? The style is/was quite unique.
I am the only person responsible for all the art in the add-on.
Creator of Era of Magic

inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

With each day we are getting closer and closer to the major BfW 1.16 release, that's why I have another portion of new TLU content for you :)

In my previous posts I mentioned a complete overhaul of all story images. The old ones were designed with 4:3 ratio in mind which is no longer a standard. The new story images have a modern panoramic 16:9 ratio and look outstanding really good on 1920x1080 resolution screens.
At the moment almost half of all story images have been overhauled. Because I want to release To Lands Unknown 3.2 together with BfW 1.16 I have two weeks to finish the rest. Wish me luck, because I am going to need it :lol:

Here are some examples of new/improved art (click for full resolution preview):
alkamija_02.jpg
More examples:
Creator of Era of Magic