To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

inferno8
Art Contributor

To Lands Unknown 3.9

Post by inferno8 »

tlu-promo-screenshot2.jpg
tlu-promo-screenshot.jpg
Hello, I am inferno8 and some of you may know me as the creator of the Era of Magic.

This thread is about my campaign called 'To Lands Unknown'.

What makes this campaign special is the usage of "multi-hex" landscape maps. I am proud to say this is the first add-on with such a feature. Since the 1.7.0 release almost all maps are 3D rendered. Since the 2.0 release the story has been greatly improved and the "movies" feature has been added.

(note: you need the latest version of Era of Magic and a separate add-on: To Lands Unknown Resources to play the campaign).

You can find TLU replays here:
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Player_UMC_Rep ... ds_Unknown

Feel free to comment on my campaign here.
Last edited by inferno8 on January 19th, 2024, 4:39 pm, edited 54 times in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
wesfreak

Re: To Lands Unknown

Post by wesfreak »

:shock: You have really outdone yourself in terms of terrain art. I played the first three scenarios and am on the fourth, and so far am thoroughly impressed.
It could use some proofreading though: There are a few, but not many, mistakes. For example: "I have never seen something like this.", in the second scenario, should probably be "I have never seen anything like this before"
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

wesfreak wrote::shock: You have really outdone yourself in terms of terrain art. I played the first three scenarios and am on the fourth, and so far am thoroughly impressed.
It could use some proofreading though: There are a few, but not many, mistakes. For example: "I have never seen something like this.", in the second scenario, should probably be "I have never seen anything like this before"
As I've said in the description, I've got just one pair of eyes. Thanks for reporting.
@I8: That's proofreading, as Wesfreak said, not 'correcting proofs'.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I'll continue posting grammar mistakes as I play the campaign.

Spoiler:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I have just managed to upload the campaign to the 1.9 server! :D It hasn't been tested on this version, so if you expect any bugs, report them here.
wesfreak wrote:I'll continue posting grammar mistakes as I play the campaign.
Great!
Creator of Era of Magic

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

There are a few bugs in the cave scenario: I tried to pick up the rhami spear with two different rhamis and it didn't work with either. If a rhami pushes the first button, it doesn't say "oh look a button"(forgot the exact words), just "it's a trap". When I summoned a water elemental on flat it only needed one mp to move on flat but it went back to normal when it leveled.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

wesfreak wrote:I tried to pick up the rhami spear with two different rhamis and it didn't work with either.
What do you mean by saying two different Rhamis? Only lvl1 Rhami can pick it. Maybe you are trying with Rhami'kai or Rhami'datu? When I was playing this part, I had no problems with that.
wesfreak wrote:If a rhami pushes the first button, it doesn't say "oh look a button"(forgot the exact words), just "it's a trap".
I think it is not a bug. Rhamis are not very talkative, but if you really want to change it, I will fix it ;)
wesfreak wrote:When I summoned a water elemental on flat it only needed one mp to move on flat but it went back to normal when it leveled.
I think this bug has nothing to do with the campaign. I will look into the code of the era to find some answers.
Creator of Era of Magic

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I meant I tried with two units, rhami'kay and rhami'datu. I suppose that explains it.

I think the rhami should probably say the button dialogue just to explain to the player that there is a button there.

Also, sometimes units spawned in cave wall, so they had 0% defense and were hit all the time.

The transforming elemental is bugged: it keeps the same amount of hp, not the % of hp, so a full hp air elemental turns into a half hp earth elemental.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

wesfreak wrote:Also, sometimes units spawned in cave wall, so they had 0% defense and were hit all the time.
I know about this issue. I'll fix it next time.
wesfreak wrote:The transforming elemental is bugged: it keeps the same amount of hp, not the % of hp, so a full hp air elemental turns into a half hp earth elemental.
I think it is not a bug. It's just fair. If it was a % of hp, the transformation would remove some hitpoints of the unit or heal it.
Creator of Era of Magic

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Point taken.
Spoiler:
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I8 & Wesfreak: As soon as I'll download the campaign, I'll play it (duhh) and correct any mistakes I, Wesfreak or anyone else will find, and send the corrected cfg's to I8.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I have downloaded your campaign from the add-on server. Although it WILL play, I'm gonna guess this picture is wrong:
Spoiler:
As you can read, it says terrain/m01 misses the .png extension. Maybe it plays fine and is an OS thing: I am on Mac OSX, so maybe Windows or whatever else you use doesn't require file extensions but OSX does, I dunno.

Also, I can probably pretty much fix it myself, but I just thought I'd warn you :) Pretty eager to play it, in any event! Looks great!

Edit: Yeah, modifying your terrain graphics macros did it. Since I took 5 minutes to fix my version, I figure I could as well save you that 5 minutes - here's my fix:
macros.zip
I didn't dialogues.cfg and macros.cfg, although they're in there.
(77.76 KiB) Downloaded 5244 times
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Spoiler:
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Ok, so played a bit farther. There's a lot of text things I noticed (included in a spoiler):
Spoiler:
I also encountered a Lua Error in Scenario 3, when I placed Mehir on his keep, just after the units appeared and he said he should send someone to the city for reinforcements or something:
Image 2.png
Edit: Looking at your code, I realise you didn't use Lua, but some macro you called used it. (the MOVE_UNIT macro?) Maybe you gave it a bad argument or something. No unit ever moved, anyway.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

When it tells you to flee in that scenario, flee. The enemy leader dodges all attacks because he's an important part of the plot line for that scenerio, so it wouldn't work if he died. After defeating all the enemies more come.

The lua error is probably something you did when you modified the scenario so it would play: I didn't get one when I played, and I played from the version that was on the link.