To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vultraz
Developer

Re: To Lands Unknown 3.0 for 1.14

Post by vultraz »

You can find better images for those buttons in wesnoth/images/buttons/button_saquare (the background) and wesnoth/images/icons/action (the overlays).
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Thanks for the info. Next time I'll change them ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your fix. It worked fine and I could play the add-on till the end (again ^^). I played the animation in the save mode, it worked for me-
Will the story of Mehir and the Summoner go on?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I am happy it worked! :D
Heindal wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:39 pm Will the story of Mehir and the Summoner go on?
Yes (at least I hope so). To Lands Unknown was meant to be the first of the campaign series. If everything goes well, TLU becomes popular enough and I have enough time to work on a new material, there will be a prequel ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Heindal

Post by Heindal »

:annoyed:
inferno8 wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:56 pm Yes (at least I hope so). To Lands Unknown was meant to be the first of the campaign series. If everything goes well, TLU becomes popular enough and I have enough time to work on a new material, there will be a prequel ;)
Well, I mentioned "To Lands Unknown" in my current radio show. Let's hope for the best.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

inferno8 wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:56 pm
Heindal wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 4:39 pm Will the story of Mehir and the Summoner go on?
Yes (at least I hope so). To Lands Unknown was meant to be the first of the campaign series. If everything goes well, TLU becomes popular enough and I have enough time to work on a new material, there will be a prequel ;)
Why not a sequel? D:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Konrad2 wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 8:38 pm Why not a sequel?
You see, the world of EoMa is quite vast. To understand some things that are about to happen, one needs to learn about the past which holds a lot of answers. The prequel won't be about Summoners.
Creator of Era of Magic

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

In storytext.cfg lines 43-46 which contain some text fixes are commented out. The game shows me lines 46-50 instead which still include the typos.

Edit: This applies to quite a few lines in the file, while the text that is actually used contains still more typos.

Edit 2: The same applies e.g. to scenario 00 line 1304 (though I don't think the old version here has any typos) and the dialogue with the enchanter (line 288; this one has a typo).
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on May 26th, 2018, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello, Whiskeyjack ;) The file you've mentioned needs a lot of cleaning as it is cluttered with unused old story strings. This will be fixed in the next version. Thank you for reporting.
Creator of Era of Magic

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey inferno8!

Should I still look at typos anyway? All I met till now are fixed in the commented out strings and if that continues I might just focus on playing the game :D

Edit: Is badass mode a hidden feature or not fully implemented yet? The dialogue options (like checking the merchants license) didn't show for me.

Edit 2: alright, found one that isn't fixed, I'll just keep looking :lol:
(scenario 00 line 520 "the some" should be "that some")
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 7:54 am Should I still look at typos anyway?
Well it is up to you of course ;) You can also play the game and write down all spotted typos in a file of notebook, then share your list here. This will help me a lot ;)
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 7:54 am Edit: Is badass mode a hidden feature or not fully implemented yet?
It is the currently disabled feature, which is going to be unlocked once TLU 3.1 is out.
Creator of Era of Magic

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Typos I encountered (I'll just start documenting here and post when I stop playing):
scenario 00: Prologue:
scenario 01: al-Kamija:

The commented out stuff also applies to scenarios two and three it seems.

Scenario 4, line 52/3 this dialogue triggered for me after the rocs arrived, because I had Mehir on the front lines. Perhaps switch up the dialogue if this happens?
Scenario 5: Jungle of Life:
Scenario 5: Fire Canyon:
storytext.cfg line 225/226 (this is in the corrected version as well): for his experience -> for his lack of experience
Scenario 6: Dome of Elements:
storytext.cfg line 241/244: "One day [...] immediately" doesn't work well together, better use "suddenly" (or make the sentence longer: "was called to travel to al-Kamija immediately/ without delay). In line 241, the comma after "One day" is missing.
line 252/253: "deep inside sand" -> "deep inside the sands" (though if I am guessing your intended meaning right, "far out in the sands/desert" would probably be even better)
line 261/262: vaults full -> vaults, full

Scenario 7: Is it intentional, that most of the map is not shrouded? I like that, because I'm not a friend of Wesnoths dungeon crawling, but it's rather unusual. Well, now after a couple of turns: It takes really long between turns because of the myriads of bats attacking the guardians...

And I just realized, the Fire Avatar unit suffers from the health bar displacement bug (its in the middle of the left upper tile next to the unit).

The description for "circle of banishment" (can't find the file it's located in, not Era_of_Magic/utils/abilities) says it reduces magical units attacks by 40 / 30 / 15 / 10 %. As I couldn't locate the definition, I can't check if it's just the decription of the effect as well, but I'm guessing this should be 20 % for level 1 units?

Units sometimes vanish behind your terrains, despite being "in front" of them (e.g. in scenario 7, a units head on tile 15,23 will be hidden beneath the statue on 15,22). This was also the case with the flying units on the waterfalls in scenario 4.

I had a weird case, where Circle of susceptibility actually increased resistances instead of decreasing them (on the Ghost in scenario 7).

Alright, enough procrastinating for one day, I'll stop here...
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm Typos I encountered (I'll just start documenting here and post when I stop playing)
Most of them are fixed in the development version of the campaign which will be released soon. Good job! :D
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm The commented out stuff also applies to scenarios two and three it seems.
I am too busy to study all the dialogs. If you could point me to specific lines like you did with other scenarios, that would be great.
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm Scenario 7: Is it intentional, that most of the map is not shrouded?
Yes, this is intentional (with all flaws and benefits of such design).
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm The description for "circle of banishment" (can't find the file it's located in, not Era_of_Magic/utils/abilities) says it reduces magical units attacks by 40 / 30 / 15 / 10 %. As I couldn't locate the definition, I can't check if it's just the decription of the effect as well, but I'm guessing this should be 20 % for level 1 units?
I've made the values linear. The fix will be available with the new version of EoMa.
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm Units sometimes vanish behind your terrains, despite being "in front" of them (e.g. in scenario 7, a units head on tile 15,23 will be hidden beneath the statue on 15,22). This was also the case with the flying units on the waterfalls in scenario 4.
I think I remember this issue. Well, welcome to the 2.5D world :lol: To overcome this I'd have to disable some hexes.
Whiskeyjack wrote: May 26th, 2018, 12:42 pm I had a weird case, where Circle of susceptibility actually increased resistances instead of decreasing them (on the Ghost in scenario 7).
This is very unusual. This ability uses the "sub=" parameter to reduce the base resistance of a unit. :hmm:

Anyway, good job so far! :D Given the amount of feedback I have received from you, you can be sure your name will be mentioned in campaign's credits. Congrats and I am looking for more :)
Creator of Era of Magic

Landiss

Post by Landiss »

Hey,

I have just recently finished To Lands Unknown and I thought I'll share my feedback here. Overall I had a really good time.

What I liked:
- the visuals, of course, some maps are simply stunning
- how different the campaign is to the mainline campaigns
- length (not too short, not too long)
- probably the only cave level in the whole game that I really enjoyed, good job on it!

What was not so nice:
- some (more advanced) unit images are too big and in general, hmm, too much. This is especially evident in the main hero image once he get to the 4th level, as then units near to him are very difficult to see clearly (and some of them are completely covered). It's similar with some other high level units.
- a lot of your design choices are flattening the gameplay. Most maps are almost exclusively one type of terrain, a lot of units have skills that negate the terrain defence of enemy, a lot of units have very good ranged and melee attacks. All of that means that a big part of complexity of Wesnoth is missing here. On the other thing I realize that this is of course part of what differentiate this campaign from mainline.
- some maps are very difficult to read in terms of what kind of terrain is where. There is one scenario with dunes that actually has 2 different types of terrain, but it's completely not visible. Another very difficult to read map was the one prior to that, in a burning city. I vastly preferred maps that joined more traditional hexes and very nice visuals that didn't interfere with the gameplay. Again, one of that was the cave map, another one was the one with rain (seriously, the mountains were very impressive and added a lot to the atmosphere).

I realize that the last list looks much bigger, but I really did enjoy the campaign a lot, it's just that I think it could be even better.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hello, Landiss and thank you for your feedback! :)
Landiss wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm some (more advanced) unit images are too big and in general, hmm, too much. This is especially evident in the main hero image once he get to the 4th level, as then units near to him are very difficult to see clearly (and some of them are completely covered). It's similar with some other high level units.
This is a limitation of the core game. Technically those big circles are "halos" which do not blend well with units standing on the upper hexes of the whole circle structure. It would be really cool if devs introduced a better layering mechanism for effects like this. :hmm:
Landiss wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm a lot of your design choices are flattening the gameplay. Most maps are almost exclusively one type of terrain, a lot of units have skills that negate the terrain defence of enemy, a lot of units have very good ranged and melee attacks. All of that means that a big part of complexity of Wesnoth is missing here. On the other thing I realize that this is of course part of what differentiate this campaign from mainline.
Yes, you are right. I had to sacrifice a big chunk of Wesnoth gameplay for a different experience. Some people will like it, others won't.
Landiss wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm some maps are very difficult to read in terms of what kind of terrain is where. There is one scenario with dunes that actually has 2 different types of terrain, but it's completely not visible.
Those two terrain types are used to simulate "climbing" the dunes. If you look closely at the map, you will see the terrain map pattern matches the image. Units slow down when they want to cross a dune. Once they do it, they move faster as they are going down.
Landiss wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm Another very difficult to read map was the one prior to that, in a burning city.
I am not proud of that map. I am going to completely change it in the future.
Landiss wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:55 pm I realize that the last list looks much bigger, but I really did enjoy the campaign a lot, it's just that I think it could be even better.
I love all forms of constructive criticism as it allow me to make better things and improve existing ones. Thank you for playing! ;)
Creator of Era of Magic