To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Black Sword

Re: To Lands Unknown

Post by The Black Sword »

I see, well when I moved onto the armour to pick it up, I had no moves left. Next turn the farthest hex I can move to collapses, so I'm trapped. There were no hints at all that I would be trapped over there(apart from the "earth shakes" message or something like that but by then its too late). The idea that I have to move right up to the armour, wait a turn then take it and move back right away is counter-intuitive. What's the point anyway, all it will do is annoy the player(it annoyed me)?

Maybe have mephir predict the collapse of the bridge and push the start of the collapse back a turn? That would solve the problem and I don't see how it would detract from the scenario.
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

The Black Sword wrote:I see, well when I moved onto the armour to pick it up, I had no moves left. Next turn the farthest hex I can move to collapses, so I'm trapped. There were no hints at all that I would be trapped over there(apart from the "earth shakes" message or something like that but by then its too late). The idea that I have to move right up to the armour, wait a turn then take it and move back right away is counter-intuitive. What's the point anyway, all it will do is annoy the player(it annoyed me)?

Maybe have mephir predict the collapse of the bridge and push the start of the collapse back a turn? That would solve the problem and I don't see how it would detract from the scenario.
My understanding was that the bridge was held up by the powers of the armor, so moving the armor causes it to collapse. I was lucky and the scheduled moves made my character get the armor with most MP left, so he could outrun the collapse. Still I was worried the collapse could speed up later and kill the character, and the suspense actually helped make the scenario interesting for me. I agree it would be good to have a warning about the collapse. Maybe a unit first walking on the bridge would say "it's surprising how this narrow bridge is able to remain stable, as if being protected somehow".
My favorite addon campaigns (made by others): Swamplings | Galuldur's First Journey | To Lands Unknown | The Devil's Flute
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

hagabaka wrote:I agree it would be good to have a warning about the collapse. Maybe a unit first walking on the bridge would say "it's surprising how this narrow bridge is able to remain stable, as if being protected somehow".
I will put the message. It should help.
Zerovirus wrote:This is a masterpiece. This is what the mainline standard should have been, I dare to say.
Wow :shock: I don't know what to say. This is the best compliment I have ever heard although it is a heresy against our beloved BfW developers. Thank you :)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
mitom2

Post by mitom2 »

I just tested Ka-Gatta. after opening the traps, there is no escape for the unit in the north trap. I did not have this before. while my testing I forgot the south trap, so I entered the traps in the order north, middle, south. this is where the bug first appeared. after that, also in the order south, middle, north the unit in the north trap was unable to move.

do you want me to upload a savegame or replay?

[edit]

the replay is somehow destroyed. you may have a savegame only.

[/edit]

also, when north is not the last trap - which became more possible in the shorter map now - Mehir still says, that the wall near the last trap is affected instead of the north trap.

CU TOM
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

This is a bug. I put wrong coordinates for updated traps in the new map. I will release new version soon.
Creator of Era of Magic

bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Zerovirus wrote:This is a masterpiece. This is what the mainline standard should have been, I dare to say.
Masterpieces aren't standard. You can't get this level of work out of all artists all the time, not for free at least. If someone long ago had said, all artwork has got to be at this level of polish, Wesnoth would have never gotten to where it is today. In fact if you look at early Wesnoth artwork it is quite crude. Be thankful that all the lackluster campaigns carried the ball forwards for long enough that this one could emerge. BTW my favorite mainline campaign is "Descent into Darkness" because it has the most interesting character arc. I'm not sure any of the others really have a character arc.
I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of replay value in this campaign.
I very much appreciate the possibility of non-random attacks. It makes final blows and leveling up troops a lot easier.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

hagabaka wrote:
The Black Sword wrote:I see, well when I moved onto the armour to pick it up, I had no moves left. Next turn the farthest hex I can move to collapses, so I'm trapped. There were no hints at all that I would be trapped over there(apart from the "earth shakes" message or something like that but by then its too late). The idea that I have to move right up to the armour, wait a turn then take it and move back right away is counter-intuitive. What's the point anyway, all it will do is annoy the player(it annoyed me)?

My understanding was that the bridge was held up by the powers of the armor, so moving the armor causes it to collapse. I was lucky and the scheduled moves made my character get the armor with most MP left, so he could outrun the collapse. Still I was worried the collapse could speed up later and kill the character, and the suspense actually helped make the scenario interesting for me. I agree it would be good to have a warning about the collapse. Maybe a unit first walking on the bridge would say "it's surprising how this narrow bridge is able to remain stable, as if being protected somehow".
It doesn't need to be telegraphed that much. The bridge looks like a friggin' trap. I mean, come on, it's really windy and narrow, and there's a powerful looking item at the end of it, on a special platform. Why wouldn't you expect a trap? The real problem is that the player runs out of moves. Make the terrain easier near the armor, so that anyone can get back on the bridge before it starts falling down.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

bvanevery wrote:[...]

I very much appreciate the possibility of non-random attacks. It makes final blows and leveling up troops a lot easier.
That's FPI No. 1. Also, what
That Post wrote:There should be a 'deterministic', 'non random' mode
Background: some people, apparently frustrated at losing their units in random battles, feel that there should be a non-random way of playing the game.
Result: the developers feel that randomness is a large part of the game, and that taking the randomness out of the game would be somewhat akin to taking the randomness out of most card games.
See?
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I have just noticed your edits, bvanevery. Here's my reply:
bvanevery wrote:I expected the spider to come attack my guys on the mainland, but it didn't. It just ran down the causeway. Is this by design? If so, please don't do that, it's really irritating.
No, it's not. I can't explain why it happened.
bvanevery wrote:With the causeway along the main route, I would also move the northeast statue downwards into the now empty space, get rid of the top half of the map, and rearrange the passages and artifacts so that they can all be gathered in less time. That way the statue artwork isn't any smaller, but the scenario is smaller.
I like this idea. I will rearrange the map, but not in the next release. I need more time for this, and there are bugs that have to be fixed immediately.
bvanevery wrote:In Scenario 10, "Message," I note that the code says that recruitment is allowed, but I do not see anywhere on the map that I can actually recruit from.
You cannot recruit in this scenario.
bvanevery wrote:Because the illusion is reasonably well set up and paid off, it's not necessary to get into Tashkar's character anymore
That's great.
bvanevery wrote:Misfeature: my gold is taxed after non-combat scenarios such as "A New Leader." Also I am taxed after "Message,"
Thanks for reporting.
bvanevery wrote:Just recall everyone in Saffros proper. I suppose that the limited amount of recruitment hexes is deliberate. Who cares if it's realistic that the army walked through the rain or not? The army is with Mehir one way or another no matter what's going on, it doesn't need to be realistic. I would say that the southern 1/3 of the map is unnecessary. The lake to the southeast of Saffros could be the ocean, that's where you could put the boats and have everyone disembark. The same dialogue can be uttered between Atiros and his countryman. Saffros could be just as thankful to have Mehir arrive.
You're right. I'll do this.
bvanevery wrote:Why make the player level up a Wonderful Jinn to build a wall around Saffros? The battle is over before it'll do any good.
I don't know. I will remove this objective.
bvanevery wrote:Why can a Grand Summoner conjure Fire and Water elementals, but Mehir as a Summons Master cannot?
This is a bug.
bvanevery wrote:Why does it cost more to Recruit a Rhami (13g) than to Summon a Rhami (12g) ?
Summoning is cheaper because of movement and attack penalty.
Spoiler:
Creator of Era of Magic

bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

inferno8 wrote:
bvanevery wrote:I expected the spider to come attack my guys on the mainland, but it didn't. It just ran down the causeway. Is this by design? If so, please don't do that, it's really irritating.
No, it's not. I can't explain why it happened.
What's needed is some kind of WML "aggression setting." I don't know if such a WML setting exists. All enemies in Ka-Gatta should be aggressive.
bvanevery wrote:Why make the player level up a Wonderful Jinn to build a wall around Saffros? The battle is over before it'll do any good.
I don't know. I will remove this objective.
Dramatically it's a neat idea to have Jinns building walls for you. If you made it a Great Jinn instead of a Wonderful Jinn, then the goal can definitely be accomplished in a useful time. That may not seem "realistic" but it works as a play mechanic. I still think you're never going to need this wall though; see my long writeup of playing the campaign on Hard.

Regarding the Gates of Kharos:
Spoiler:
Last edited by bvanevery on November 14th, 2010, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

sur.nhm wrote:
bvanevery wrote:[...]

That's FPI No. 1. Also, what
That Post wrote:There should be a 'deterministic', 'non random' mode
Background: some people, apparently frustrated at losing their units in random battles, feel that there should be a non-random way of playing the game.
Result: the developers feel that randomness is a large part of the game, and that taking the randomness out of the game would be somewhat akin to taking the randomness out of most card games.
See?
See what? Are you trying to start a pointless debate? Let me end it for you right now: IMO inferno's take on the rules are better than mainline's. It's a pity that this means his work, whose production values are a step above anything in Wesnoth, will never be mainlined. You are entitled to your own opinion, and the two sides are never going to "see" eye to eye. The core developers are on one side of this divide, and I don't personally have the energy to fork the Wesnoth sources. As much as I like the game, I've got my own games to write. I've noticed some forks of Wesnoth sitting around on GNA gathering dust. I also don't happen to like the GPL, I would never put large amounts of my energy into that. I don't like multiplayer either. I'm into "Wesnoth as RPG."
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Spoiler:
Creator of Era of Magic

bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Regarding the Gates of Kharos:
Spoiler:
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

As a thought, maybe you could make rashtis LOF as a 2-part animation? First part she leaps, then it pauses, the master says some funny magic words, maybe the screen flashes black , does his attack aninmation towards rashti, then she completes the leap, and bounces off and splits etc.
bvanevery

Post by bvanevery »

Serious Bug: on Sun Dome I have one unit in my Recall inventory. Just one Dharma'Rhami. I sure as heck had lots more units than that before! I also lost 3 Novice Summoners between Chaos and Mag Magar. Something is seriously wrong with the Recall code. Is this because of the code that counts dead units?

Bug: in Sun Dome, after I've summoned an air elemental using the ultimate circle, when I move Mehir afterwards, I cannot undo his move.
Is the Summoning code interfering with normal movement code, making it undoable?
Last edited by bvanevery on November 14th, 2010, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.