To Lands Unknown 3.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bvanevery

Re: To Lands Unknown

Post by bvanevery »

fog_of_gold wrote:
bvanevery wrote:You don't get healing or curing units until very late in this campaign.
This isn't true: You can easily get one master summoner until then. In that long scenarios, you can even get one in one scenario.
I didn't even know that Master Summoners existed at this point, let alone that they had healing abilities or how their circle worked. You're making the mistake of assuming everyone's already played Era of Magic and knows the unit types already. If your army was large and carpet / camel / summoner based, there's a good chance that you've got a lot of Level 2 units, not a Master Summoner.

bvanevery wrote:If you get poisoned by anybody, let alone a powerful Level 3 poisoner, at a minimum you're walking a long ways back to an oasis.
This is also wrong: You are averagely one turn away from an oasis and if you don't know what's before you, it won't be more than 3 turns.
You are assuming that units move well in caves. Not a valid assumption. Also, 3 turns is plenty of time to fall victim to poison, poison, bat.
To Lands Unknown, an Arabesque adventure of stunning background art, mobile summoning, and strong storytelling.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

bvanevery wrote:[...]
It isn't anymore worth of discussions since Inferno8 already decided to not include this.
Tet

Post by Tet »

Very nice way to get use to the factions. Awesome movie style animation!

There was a late scenario where the turn limit 30 pops up after killing the first boss. I was on turn 17 then and it did not stack! So maybe make it 30 plus what is vasted till than. The solution for the player would be to keep the boss alive. 30 turns basically means running from the start with your leader. So it was a tomato surprise.

I would like less long fightings at the end. I would like a more condenced story (less reading), more dramatic and maybe some romance.

I really liked the graphical maps. The fighting in the rain could be a bid updated. I would like a ship map design based on some more graphical elements (maybe off-topic here, but you seem to be an expert in this field)

I might be wrong. But fighting seems to be a lot to protect the valuable units with a level one spawn as the level 2 and 3 are very good damaged ealers with not so much hitpoints.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Tet wrote:But fighting seems to be a lot to protect the valuable units with a level one spawn
In my experience, you should do anyway. It's all too easy for a few enemies (in mainline, this is) to get your valuable L2's unless you protect them with a wall of meat.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Tet wrote:There was a late scenario where the turn limit 30 pops up after killing the first boss. I was on turn 17 then and it did not stack! So maybe make it 30 plus what is vasted till than. The solution for the player would be to keep the boss alive. 30 turns basically means running from the start with your leader. So it was a tomato surprise.
Earlier, I wrote:I found the turn limit to be a bit too tight. I was fighting with all I had, ignoring tactics I would normally use, such as giving experience and kills to lower-level units, for the sake of trying to recklessly push forward and clear a path for Mehir to keep moving forward.

I finished on turn 30. Barely made it.
My suggestions for fixing this would be (A) make the turn limit less strict, or (B) eliminate those blasted bottlenecks on the 1-hex-thin bridges. It takes forever to get through those.
inferno8's list of changes wrote:5) The Last Summoner:
- to extend turn limit by 5.
:wink:
Tet

Post by Tet »

Here they even need more protection. Basically they can not take any beating. 2 hits can kill a precious unit. But lvl 1 spawn is easy for summoner as long as money is there.

Well 35 is cool. I actually read this. But it does not solve the tomato issue. It should be in 30 or 35 round after the message. Not from the beginning. And what is if you leave the boss alive? No limit at all?
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Tet wrote:Well 35 is cool. I actually read this. But it does not solve the tomato issue. It should be in 30 or 35 round after the message. Not from the beginning. And what is if you leave the boss alive? No limit at all?
If you spare his life, the turn limit won't appear. I must admit, this should be changed. I propose to set the turn limit at the beginning of scenario, so there would be no surprises in the middle of the game. Killing the boss won't change anything. Do you agree?

Edit: Lets say you do :P
Last edited by inferno8 on October 24th, 2010, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

To Lands Unknown v.1.2 is now available!

There are many changes in this release. Most of them affects gameplay and makes it more friendly by reducing a large number of tomato surprises. I have decided to put bvanevery and Captain_Wrathbow in credits due to their helpful comments. Thanks to them I was able to improve my campaign like never before. Thank you once again ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

zelima

Post by zelima »

hi! I just finished the campaign. At first, it felt a bit un-wesnothy, mostly because of how most of your units can ignore the enemy's terrain defense... it was still one of the most fun campaigns I've played ^_^

if Mehir actually had a personality, this would easily be my favorite campaign... I don't know who he is to you, but it felt at one point like his personality could be developed so that i'd want to ship him and Rashti :D

in my first play (i've never tried easy or hard, just normal), I got to that first battle with the witches - Mag-Magar? and dummy me didn't realize that she could recruit/recall units, so I concluded I'd have to beat it with just Rashti and Mehir and what he could summon. Thinking back to the ALMAs Mehir had been able to get early on, I restarted the campaign and fed all the xp I could to Mehir while he's still level 2, and then I gave him all the treasures I could from the cave. By the end of the game, he had a 24-10 (28-10? don't remember) magical draining melee attack, ~250hp, and was utterly invincible. Heck, he was utterly invincible back when he only had ~130hp... It wouldn't have worked if the amount of xp he needed for ALMAs exponentially increased like it does for every other unit. Although; I could've just spent a while grinding xp in the rescue-the-lizards mission... I love how the scenarios don't have artificial time limits most other campaigns do, but it *is* exploitable.

the ending was disturbing... what happened? Did he die when he tried to enter the abyss? What's the inside like?

as I played I noticed a lot of things that could be said better... I see that the syntax has generally been fixed (notable, painful exception: some of the units in the dharmi line or whatever that's called have "devine spears" instead of "divine spears"), but there are a lot of phrases where the style could be better... "style", she said, not knowing a better word. I'd be glad to help with this if you want me to; what should I do? I've been playing wesnoth for years but I'm super-new to the internals and stuff; heck, this is my first forum post.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

zelima wrote:hi! I just finished the campaign. At first, it felt a bit un-wesnothy, mostly because of how most of your units can ignore the enemy's terrain defense... it was still one of the most fun campaigns I've played ^_^

if Mehir actually had a personality, this would easily be my favorite campaign... I don't know who he is to you, but it felt at one point like his personality could be developed so that i'd want to ship him and Rashti :D

in my first play (i've never tried easy or hard, just normal), I got to that first battle with the witches - Mag-Magar? and dummy me didn't realize that she could recruit/recall units, so I concluded I'd have to beat it with just Rashti and Mehir and what he could summon. Thinking back to the ALMAs Mehir had been able to get early on, I restarted the campaign and fed all the xp I could to Mehir while he's still level 2, and then I gave him all the treasures I could from the cave. By the end of the game, he had a 24-10 (28-10? don't remember) magical draining melee attack, ~250hp, and was utterly invincible. Heck, he was utterly invincible back when he only had ~130hp... It wouldn't have worked if the amount of xp he needed for ALMAs exponentially increased like it does for every other unit. Although; I could've just spent a while grinding xp in the rescue-the-lizards mission... I love how the scenarios don't have artificial time limits most other campaigns do, but it *is* exploitable.

the ending was disturbing... what happened? Did he die when he tried to enter the abyss? What's the inside like?

as I played I noticed a lot of things that could be said better... I see that the syntax has generally been fixed (notable, painful exception: some of the units in the dharmi line or whatever that's called have "devine spears" instead of "divine spears"), but there are a lot of phrases where the style could be better... "style", she said, not knowing a better word. I'd be glad to help with this if you want me to; what should I do? I've been playing wesnoth for years but I'm super-new to the internals and stuff; heck, this is my first forum post.
Yeah, he's right. The amount of XP required to AMLA should increase exponentially.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
tomo77

Post by tomo77 »

Hi there, Inferno8
i have a problem in TLU with scenario4, that with the canyon and barbarians. in the start of the game i recruited some carpets and sent them to the lizards. i rescued them and killed barbarian and cyclops. then i didnt move with them. when i defeated goblins and the ancient cyclops, the trolls who guarded lizards attacked me. i killed them and went to the lizards with mehir. :!: And now the error. :!: i came to the isle and a liz. chief appeared. but nothing else. than i moved mehir in every hexagon on the isle and about four chiefs appeared. but nothing then... thats all about the problem... i am a noob in wesnoth ,i am only 12, and im using 1,8,2.

besides, my tries to uncower the secret of the sceneery are:
:?: you created a terrain for every hex, and put them together. but, i didnt find the hexes in editor
:?: You created a unit for every scenery and placed it in the bottom of the levels.

and besides again, the warlocks in multiplayer are very similar to dark elves in Extended era. :geek:

thanx for your help if there will be any :)
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

tomo77 wrote:Hi there, Inferno8
i have a problem in TLU with scenario4, that with the canyon and barbarians. in the start of the game i recruited some carpets and sent them to the lizards. i rescued them and killed barbarian and cyclops. then i didnt move with them. when i defeated goblins and the ancient cyclops, the trolls who guarded lizards attacked me. i killed them and went to the lizards with mehir. :!: And now the error. :!: i came to the isle and a liz. chief appeared. but nothing else. than i moved mehir in every hexagon on the isle and about four chiefs appeared. but nothing then... thats all about the problem... i am a noob in wesnoth ,i am only 12, and im using 1,8,2.

besides, my tries to uncower the secret of the sceneery are:
:?: you created a terrain for every hex, and put them together. but, i didnt find the hexes in editor
:?: You created a unit for every scenery and placed it in the bottom of the levels.

and besides again, the warlocks in multiplayer are very similar to dark elves in Extended era. :geek:

thanx for your help if there will be any :)
Hello there, and welcome to the forums! anyway: are you using TLU's latest version? If not, upgrade.
(I8, I remember the DB problem cropping up a few pages earlier. Have you fixed it?)
Now, about the terrains: I suppose you wouldn't. This campaign's major innovation is its terrain, and it needs very complex WML. I don't think that I8 did the extra work of wiring it to the editor, and I don't blame him. It's a lot of work.
Oh, and about the warlocks: they should be named Tharis by now (I8, it seems you haven't upgraded the campaign in that respect), and anyway, I'll hazard a guess and say that they have similar inspiration.
(And BTW, try to use correct grammar. It makes your post much more readable.)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

sur.nhm wrote:Yeah, he's right. The amount of XP required to AMLA should increase exponentially.
Maybe +20% to required experience per advancement? It would look like this: 100->120->144->172->207...
zelima wrote:if Mehir actually had a personality, this would easily be my favorite campaign... I don't know who he is to you, but it felt at one point like his personality could be developed so that i'd want to ship him and Rashti
Well, this campaign is about Summoners, not about Mehir, but
Spoiler:
zelima wrote:as I played I noticed a lot of things that could be said better... I see that the syntax has generally been fixed (notable, painful exception: some of the units in the dharmi line or whatever that's called have "devine spears" instead of "divine spears"), but there are a lot of phrases where the style could be better... "style", she said, not knowing a better word. I'd be glad to help with this if you want me to
Your help would be greatly appreciated. You can always send me a pm with your observations and suggestions.
tomo77 wrote:i have a problem in TLU with scenario4, that with the canyon and barbarians.
I thought I have fixed that error. Do you remember, which version of the campaign you have? Also, I would like to see a replay of your game. Could you attach it?
tomo77 wrote:besides, my tries to uncower the secret of the scenery are:
No and no :) I created giant terrain graphics and placed them on maps using Wesnoth Mark-up Language ;)
sur.nhm wrote:I8, I remember the DB problem cropping up a few pages earlier. Have you fixed it?
Which problem? I don't remember any :?
sur.nhm wrote:Oh, and about the warlocks: they should be named Tharis by now (I8, it seems you haven't upgraded the campaign in that respect)
Next time.
sur.nhm wrote:and anyway, I'll hazard a guess and say that they have similar inspiration.
Yes, the Dark Elves from EE were a great inspiration for me. Now everything has evolved. I am going to renovate the whole faction and give it a brand new look.
Creator of Era of Magic

Maramros

Post by Maramros »

I believe the database in question was one I mentioned, that in the Fire Canyons scenario, moving to a certain hex (I think it was 28.51 or somewhere near there, I'd have to check to make sure) 'freed' a shaman every time you moved there, rather than the first rime only. Oh, and if the ogre starts pushing the lizards across, it's whatever tile he stops on. The other problem I mentioned was that if you use carpet riders and free the lizards before destroying the barbarian leader, the objectives don't change properly, and you can't win the scenario. But that was in the old version, I don't know whether those have been fixed or not. And if those weren't the relevant DB problems, then there's something else. :P
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

inferno8 wrote:I have decided to put bvanevery and Captain_Wrathbow in credits due to their helpful comments.
:o Seriously?! Wow... wasn't expecting that... uh, thanks. :)