Lords of the North, version 0.0.2 ready! (1.8)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

styles1005

Re: Lords of the North, now on the add-ons server! (1.8)

Post by styles1005 »

Spoiler:
In any case, all right. I'll add you. By the way, I'm a bit reluctant about removing the Mages - they tend to be greatly helpful in campaigns, so unless one of us can think of a way to shoehorn them in there later on, it might be a bit difficult. On the other hand, I don't plan on having the player see many/any undead, which is the main use for Mages, until the last scenario, so that might be excusable.
*has nothing else to say*

Necromancy most foul! - Doc Paterson

All hail my new campaign, Lords of the North! Now on the add-ons server!
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

styles1005 wrote:By the way, I'm a bit reluctant about removing the Mages - they tend to be greatly helpful in campaigns, so unless one of us can think of a way to shoehorn them in there later on, it might be a bit difficult. On the other hand, I don't plan on having the player see many/any undead, which is the main use for Mages, until the last scenario, so that might be excusable.
*cough*
styles1005 wrote:"... presented with a mission: deliver aid to a reclusive Dwarvish Lord in the Far North, called Talgine, who was besieged by undead. He was told that if he accomplished this dangerous task, his ambitions would finally be fulfilled."
Anyway... I like the idea, but I would plan for a scenario in between 2 and 3; it should take at least two scenarios to get to the "Far North". And before coding 3 and 4 I would start on 2 :wink: You're getting a bit ahead.

EDIT: I just thought that the mages were a bit too powerful at the moment (for that scenario). Maybe in the next scenario or so have an event where you meet some mages, and squeeze in a:

Code: Select all

[allow_recruit]
    type=Mage
[/allow_recruit]
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Oh no, I haven't coded 3 and 4 yet. I've just barely started on 2, what with still debugging/balancing 1. And in any case, they haven't made it to the Far North yet; the dialogue scenario in 3 is going to be with another Dwarvish Lord, I'm thinking somewhere a bit south. Does anyone know if it's plausible for the Heart Mountains to have dwarves? That would even allow for scenario 4 to have water, which is something I was worried about
Spoiler:
And yeah, maybe do a thingamawotsit in 2 similar to that scenario in THoT where you find the mage in the shack? i.e. have a group of mages holed up in a Dwarvish watchtower or something to that effect.

EDIT: Yup. According to the wiki, Dwarven Doors is in the Heart Mountains, so it's not unlikely that there would be dwarves there.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

And in any case, they haven't made it to the Far North yet; the dialogue scenario in 3 is going to be with another Dwarvish Lord, I'm thinking somewhere a bit south.
So many dwarves :P
Does anyone know if it's plausible for the Heart Mountains to have dwarves? That would even allow for scenario 4 to have water, which is something I was worried about
Well in HttT, All the dwarves were nervous about the Heart Mountains when searching for the Sceptre of Fire... Plus, no-one ever went there and no dwarves were found. I suppose it is possible for some to be on the eastern edge, though I have no idea how they would've had contact with Wesnoth :| Besides, what is this Dwarf getting paid for anyway?

And yeah, maybe do a thingamawotsit in 2 similar to that scenario in THoT where you find the mage in the shack? i.e. have a group of mages holed up in a Dwarvish watchtower or something to that effect.
Overused, but it can be done. Maybe you should ditch the Heavy Infantryman and keep the mages. My suggestion was just to not have such overpowered units. You can decide which ones to keep.

NOTE: There is still the problem of you saying "little if any undead" when in the scenario story you said that the Dwarvish Lord was besieged by undead... Maybe make him be besieged by elves (Lintanir Forest nearbyish) instead, but the Lord leaves out that little detail so that you agree to help him?
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Err . . . Well, with your suggestion, it gets rid of both on higher difficulty levels anyway, but I can change that. But yeah,
Spoiler:
I know, I know, also overused, but hey - it's my first campaign. Expecting it to be perfect is my job (curse you, perfectionism!) And by the way, I didn't say "little if any undead" - I said "little if any undead until the last scenario" (or possibly two or three last, now that I think about it.)

Also, the mention of payment should have since been eradicated - I was dissatisfied with that too. Where do you see it now?

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Woops... I guess I read through the original story and didn't bother checking for changes after that :lol2:

There is still the problem of how in the world they have contact with Wesnoth and why in the world they established an alliance with Talgine,
Spoiler:
If you've changed the errors, I think you should go and update the add-on on the server now :wink:
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Eh,
Spoiler:
And the reason it's not uploaded to the server yet is I still need to code the fog-remove thing and the dialogue for nagas_met. I should probably put it on there anyway, just to have a bug-free - albeit incomplete - 1st scenario on there.

EDIT: Waitasec! I still have to add you to the credits, bigkahuna! Oops. I guess I'll put that in there when I do the fog-remove and dialogue in a minute for revised version 0.0.2.

EDIT 2: COME ON! Grr. Me very frustrated with this "coding" stuff.

Let me explain: I changed the fog to shroud because I couldn't figure out how to remove fog. However, the Saurians now give you line of sight through the shroud, where they didn't through the fog. I tried adding a [place_shroud] thing to the [start] event, but that doesn't stop it. Maybe give the saurians fog=yes and shroud=no? I don't know if that would work, and I'm really not in a mood to try it right now.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Don't do shroud.

Try this:

[event]
    name=fog_lifted
    [filter]
        side=0 ##all sides
    [/filter]
    fog=no
    shroud=no
[/event]
And in your saurian/naga/human dialogue, put:

[fire_event]
    name=fog_lifted
[/fire_event]
:)

I think this will work. If it doesn't, remove the filter around the side=0, I'm not sure whether it needs one or not.
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Ok, thanks. The reason I did the shroud was 'cause I couldn't see a way to remove fog.

EDIT: Ehh . . . Neither your idea, nor your solution, nor any of the solutions I could think of, worked. The fog remains.

bigkahuna

Re: Lords of the North, version 0.0.2 ready! (1.8)

Post by bigkahuna »

Wewt. Found it.

[modify_side]
    side=0
    fog=no
[/modify_side]
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

bigkahuna wrote:Wewt. Found it.

[modify_side]
    side=0
    fog=no
[/modify_side]
Thanks! I'll put that in there in a second and upload.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Ftw! I got my newest version of LotN!!! :D

Well, the credits are still the same, the fog hasn't been removed, and no extra dialogue. Did "a second" mean an hour or two, or is something wrong? :)

EDIT: if you gave me a copy of the .pbl file, I could edit the errors without a bunch of hassle. It would be a lot simpler. If you want to keep sole access to your first campaign though, I understand :) . (if you do, send it through PM. We don't want random people editing the scenario)
Last edited by bigkahuna on October 2nd, 2010, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Ah, sorry. I was going to do that, but I started to do it just as my break ended, and then I had to go accompany my grandmother as she went to shuttle my mother back and forth and pick up my great-grandmother from the daycare center . . . Yeah.

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Okay that's fine 8)

See my above post whenever you get on.
Join the new R2D forum!
styles1005

Post by styles1005 »

Sorry for taking so long on this - I really needed a break. I'll try and warn you next time, though. I'll send you the .pbl ASAP.