1.16 SP Campaign: Trinity

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Drakilian

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign: Trinity

Post by Drakilian »

Aaaaand now I find out that I have to get Haldrad to the northmost edge of the map... after I retreated him back to the south-eastern edge of the map so that I could escape the invincible mechanical dragon.

Yeah, I'll have to restart this scenario from the beginning later.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Drakilian wrote:Crap, all of this side-switching is absolutely brutal on me, and all those powerful Kthon ended up trapping my units between themselves and the mechanical dragon (who I was just about to kill) while Dardrus and the Heroine are stuck all the way in the back of the map.
Looking at this now, I'm not a fan of this part either. I think I can make it so that the Khthon don't attack side 1 until side 1 attacks them, and say that Echidna was reluctant to kill Haldrad. I'm currently testing it.

I've also put a couple teleport panels on the map, so there is less slogging across the map for side 3 mostly.
------------------------------------------
EDIT: It seems to work OK, though I haven't finished playing through the scenario. Still, it is an improvement, so 1.3.6 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.7 has been uploaded to the BfW server. It is an incremental improvement, mainly dealing with the first Dark Planet scenario. Among other things, there is another teleport pad on the east side, so cross-map slogs should not be needed anymore. There were some other changes with the Khthon fighting portion that should help with balancing.
If you are playing on BfW 1.11.17, there is a bug that will break this scenario, and probably others (and other add-ons). See this thread: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41084

I plan to add another scenario where the player is Khthon, but I didn't get it into this version. Maybe next time.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.8 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. Changes (that I remember):

- Balancing adjustments to the first Dark Planet scenario. Includes mechanical artillery, which is my attempt at AI-usable "true ranged" attack. Some of the animations need work, and maybe the range needs work (currently is 4 hexes), but I think the basic idea is OK. These artillery things show up near the end of the scenario, when Tristien shows up.

- I started a new scenario with Keldan as the protagonist. It is not finished, but the way it starts is important, because Keldan can't recruit much, so if it is either really hard or really trivial to defeat the Engineer, I'd be interested to know what your starting units were. I think it really depends upon who your veterans are.

- Speaking of Keldan, apparently this poor guy had been partially enthralled in the Part1: High Lord scenario - giving him a blue tint, lower HP and very high required XP. This should now be fixed, though it won't have any effect unless you replay that scenario from the very beginning, unfortunately. There is probably a trivial way to fix this so you can start Part 2 without replaying this early Part 1 scenario, but I'm not sure if anyone gives a crap, so I'll only look into that if asked.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.9 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. The new scenario mentioned in previous post is finished, and I think it is winnable, but there are still some issues. The two major issues that I know of are the enemy recruiting and (relatedly) there exist one or two bottlenecks.

The scenarios after the new one are untouched, so they should work, but I do plan on heavily revising them, and they do not take into account the new scenario at all.

The artillery units still have bugs, but not bad enough to completely ruin the scenario. It also seems that Lunar Bugs can be turned into Cyborgs, which is something I will need to fix in future versions of Archaic Era.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.10 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. That new scenario should work well enough now, though there may still be more polishing to be done. The campaign is finished up to the point where the Seth walks into the portal and the Destroyer is summoning her three Avatars (the next scenario loads, but it's crap). If there is anything that prevents you from reaching that point, that is a bug. Well, either that or it means you suck, but that's probably not what it means, so don't be timid; I'd appreciate a bug report so I can get it fixed. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.11 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. The last scenario is mostly done, but it still needs balancing - it should all work, but it probably can't be won without debug-cheating right now. There is some polish also needed.

But it is done, in a sense, and that's something. I hope to have a better update next week.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.12 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. The last scenario has had some major revision, and while I have done a lot of testing, there are a lot of ways that scenario could unfold, so it may be possible to create a broken situation. That scenario (Dark Planet (III)) is also no longer the last scenario. Someone several posts back thought things ended abruptly, and I agreed, so one more scenario is needed. It isn't written yet, but there is a start-of-scenario that can be used in future versions, when it is written, so the player can come back to it later.

To Do:
1. Changing Side 1 recruit list - The Orcs and Dwarves should send some fighters along with King Haldrad at the end of scenario Pushback, as was suggested earlier. I added Orc Grunts and Dwarf Fighters to the last scenario recruit list, but still need to edit earlier scenarios. The recruit lists for Side 1 are a mess right now.
2. Polishing the death sequence of the Destroyer - it's a little underwhelming right now. This is cosmetic, but cosmetic still matters.
3. Writing that last scenario, Coda.
And of course there are still some animations missing, both terrain and sprite.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.13 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. That last scenario is partially written in that there will be two branches, but only one is written now. I think it is clear in the objectives where that happens. The scenario works to the end, but it is probably possible to break it, and the balance isn't quite there yet. But it is possible to win, and then get to the Epilogue (one of them) and finish the campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.14 has been uploaded. The final scenario, Coda is now finished, with two possible endings, and two epilogues. As far as I can tell, it is working and is reasonably well balanced, but who am I to say. If anyone finds anything strange, please let me know. Thanks.

I've also done a bit of clean-up, and got rid of about 7 MB of unused or not-really-necessary files.
plantpaladin

Post by plantpaladin »

I played through the old version a few times and the new version has a lot less speed. The abrupt endings in the old version to the Khothon, Nemesis and the necromancer helped the story as a whole. Now the story never seems to end and you have to go through a lot of levels where the objective is hidden which isn't the type of gameplay the campaign was good at. On a side note, on Storming Weldyn, I tried getting to mage in the middle early and it just froze, there should at least be some reward for it.

Hello
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, thanks for the honest assessment. While I stand by the new version as an improvement, I can see what you mean when it comes to some of the tower scenarios. They could stand to be tightened up and trimmed down.
plantpaladin wrote:On a side note, on Storming Weldyn, I tried getting to mage in the middle early and it just froze, there should at least be some reward for it.
Not sure what you mean, are you saying there is a bug?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I'm trying to get through "Dark Planet (III)", but I'm not sure what the victory condition is?

I think I've done everything that needs to be done:
  • Nemesis has picked up the mechanical dragon.
  • I believe I've killed everyone that matters - Tristien, Hunger, Fear, and Cruelty. (It's not necessary to kill the Destroyer, is it? It might be possible, but I doubt it - unless there's a trick like there was for killing Seth.)
  • Keldan has turned into a tree, the forest is expanding, spawning woses, etc.
  • The purple barrier that was in the way earlier is gone now.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi gnombat,

I think you need Nemesis to carry the machine to the gate... Looking at the configuration file, it appears I neglected some objectives updates. If that doesn't take care of things, or is not possible for some reason, please post your save-file. That Dark Planet stuff took forever to test, I may have missed some things.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Carry the machine where exactly? Also, another thing - am I supposed to wait until the forest has consumed all the rift? (That will take a long time, won't it?)

Save file attached.
Attachments
Tri2-Dark_Planet_(III)-Auto-Save24.gz
(541.35 KiB) Downloaded 326 times