Written in Blood campaign thread

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Written in Blood campaign thread

Post by Astoria »

Title says all:

Current version: 0.2.5

Needed:
Playtesters.

Summary:
Written in Blood is a campaign involving many heroes, many allies, and almost no recruitment at all, only in some battle.
WiB contains different game modes and many custom graphics and tweaks to the major characters.
Written in Blood is a campaign about The Alliance, a secret branch of the army, tasked to unite races to defeat the orcish threat.
During their journey the heroes find out orcs aren't the most dangerous enemies.

Post any feedback here.

I would also like anyone to rank the difficulty of scenarios in the campaign.
Last edited by Astoria on August 16th, 2010, 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Sandermatt

Re: Written in Blood campaign thread

Post by Sandermatt »

I just played the first mission and tarted the second. I really like the concept of not recruiting. What I would like is that after the first mission I get an idea how the unit I choose will level. It seems important for me if I will get a ranger, sharpshooter, or healer or sorceress.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

In your post, I think you should elaborate more. Aside from the fact that there is rarely ever recruiting, it sounds like a lot of other campaigns.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Hulavuta wrote:Aside from the fact that there is rarely ever recruiting
Which is enough imo.
It seems way too hard until now btw because of the fact that none is allowed to die or expendable; I need to retry every scenario at least 2 times or so and I'm certainly no beginner player. But great concept; I like the missing need to control lots of units each turn.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
JuCFruit

Post by JuCFruit »

I really like it. It feels kind of like fire emblem, which is my favorite game. I just started but I will be looking around and testing it. Just made a profile to post here. Good job.
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

OK, I just played the level elensefar. 2 critic points.
1. The aim says you only have to defend, but you actually have to kill the orc leader.
2. the king of elensefar suicides as soon as he can attack an enemy unit. Maybe you should place the castle one field lower or reduce the kings movement points. As it is now, as soon as one of your frontline units gets killed the king fills the gap and even attacks. The retalitation and attack in the next turn kills him than.

Edit: I just played crossfire. Is this the last level you did so far, or is there another reason why it doesn't finish after I killed 20 enemies?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Sandermatt wrote:OK, I just played the level elensefar. 2 critic points.
1. The aim says you only have to defend, but you actually have to kill the orc leader.
2. the king of elensefar suicides as soon as he can attack an enemy unit. Maybe you should place the castle one field lower or reduce the kings movement points. As it is now, as soon as one of your frontline units gets killed the king fills the gap and even attacks. The retalitation and attack in the next turn kills him than.

Edit: I just played crossfire. Is this the last level you did so far, or is there another reason why it doesn't finish after I killed 20 enemies?
In Elensefar, you don't have to kill the leader, you just have to let the turns end.
And I guess I should give the king 0 mp.

And in Crossfire, I'll patch it next update.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

I know the aim says you only have to survive. Just when I played it it wasn't enough. I thought therefore that there might be a bug. 0 = MP for the king is a great Idea. And thanks for patching Crossfire.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

It was more like hitting my head against a wall because I was that stupid to not include an endlevel tag.

Same for Elensefar, I changed it so it is harder/impossible to kill the enemy leader.
I think I'll be comitting the changes soon.
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Something else I just remembered. It is possible to recruit in the level crossfire. I am not sure if that was intended, I just wanted to mention it (You can use the castle of the rebels or how they are called, for recruiting).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Bump!
I'm aiming for 2 another scenarios this week.
Please post any problems in balancing here.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Version 0.2.5 is online! I really need playtesters so please post all balance issues here.
vcap

Post by vcap »

scenario 2 won't load on case-sensitive systems.
map_data="{~add-ons/Written_In_Blood/maps/Blackwater}"
should be:
map_data="{~add-ons/Written_In_Blood/maps/blackwater}"
Or alternatively rename the map to start with an uppercase.

Also TRAIT_RESILENT probably ought to be TRAIT_RESILIENT.
varc

Post by varc »

i found some strange problem. I had Written in Blood v.0.2.1 installed but never played it because of lack of time.Now i wanted to install the new version [1] but after installing it shows again the old version [2] , which after the first level gives me this error [3]. I deleted the folder in add-ons but that didn't help.

[1]
Screenshot-The Battle for Wesnoth - 1.8.2.png
[2]
Screenshot-The Battle for Wesnoth - 1.8.2-1.png
[3]
Screenshot.png
vcap

Post by vcap »

varc wrote:i found some strange problem. I had Written in Blood v.0.2.1 installed but never played it because of lack of time.Now i wanted to install the new version [1] but after installing it shows again the old version [2]
Actually you probably have 0.2.5, it's just that the description in _main.cfg is outdated. Take a look at the _info.cfg, it will show the actual version number.
varc wrote:which after the first level gives me this error [3].
That one is the error i reported above. In scenario 2 the map is called Blackwater while it is named blackwater in the filesystem.