The Militia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nille

Re: The Militia

Post by Nille »

I just olayed through it in 1.8.6 and I had a great time. Thank you for all your work, I really loved it all, especially the humor and doable levels with only lvl 0 :)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I'm only on the second scenario, but I just noticed that Pieter has the golden ring now, but lost the loyal trait. :?

It looks fun, incidentally.

EDIT: Same issue with the level three loyals.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

I know this is a very late response. But...better late than never.
I don't know what the problem with the loyals might be, but I'll bring Brilliand's attention to it.
gleedads wrote:Who did make those graphics, so I can give credit where credit is due.
Campaign Credits wrote:With units borrowed from:
Wesband
Tale of a Mage (Made by SkeleRanger)
Dead Water (Made by Dan Gerhards [beetlenaut])
Sceptre of Life (Made by Nathanael D Schmolze [Opensourcejunkie])
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

The Militia has been uploaded to the 1.11 server.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
LurkerAbove

Post by LurkerAbove »

I really like this campaign and playing on hard, and I'm on 1.10 I think, so this might not be up to date, but does anyone know why Lazarus loses another 20% of his gold following Sudden Defense when that faction isn't even in the scenario? And actually, I think there's a bug that means Lazarus doesn't even get the correct amount of gold that is announced on the screen.

Also, the original loyal boy from the first scenario, why is he no longer loyal?

EDIT: Found the issue with Pieter no longer being loyal, fixed it. Found the issue with the Lazarus team getting their gold dinged in 03_Sudden_Defense where they aren't even involved, fixed it. Reading around in the threads here I'm seeing information about abandoned campaigns and wondering how long till a campaign is considered abandoned. I'll keep playing through The Militia on Hard and see what else I notice and can easily fix. Next on the list is probably to get Pieter to auto-recall in 04_Surprise_Alliance, but I may try playing through first to see how difficult it is at this point. Possibly also turns seem 1-2 frustratingly short on Hard but I'll also have to play through on Easy and Normal to help gauge.

EDIT AGAIN: Starting to dig deeper into some of the code and finding lots of entertaining bits. I probably need to figure out how to get on the latest version...
And when you look up, they drop on you. -- Winnie the Pooh
Ostejo

Post by Ostejo »

Hey I've been working on getting this maintained for newer versions.
https://github.com/Benjamin-Waters/The_Militia

If anyone wants to give it a try any feedback, testing, and contributing to wml is appreciated.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

I casually came across this campaign, and after taking a look at it I thought it was rahter interesting;
Seeing that it hasn't been updated since 2016, I thought I'd update it myself, bringing it from version 1.11 to version 1.15 of Battle of Wesnoth.

I have sent a PM to Ostejo asking for permission to take care of the campaign; seeing that Ostejo is no longer active on the forum since 2016 I have already started the revision work, but:

a) I would like to know if anyone else has already taken charge this campaign; in that case I will not continue further.

b) the most recent version, of the campaign, I was able to get is the one that Desert_shyde has attached in his post of july, 8th, 2010 of this thread; Is there anyone who have the campaign version uploaded in the 1.11 add-ons server? Is there anyone who knows how I could get it?

In advance I thank those who can help me with the point (b). :)
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Version 1.5.2, dated Apr 06 2013, is on the 1.11 add-on server.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I too updated and played 'The Militia', but that was to play the units from 'Default L0 Era' in a campaign setting. As a result, I replaced all custom units with their equivalent in my era and simply cut off parts of the campaign that required too much work to fix. I removed scenario 15a due to unnecessary custom terrain and units, and scenario 15c for containing a broken terrain generation macro.
It is by no means a perfect port, but in my opinion, some parts of the campaign are legitimately obsolete and ought to be reworked. I highly recommend you to remove L0->L0 advancement units like the 'Peasant Child' and to update the others by adding my era as a dependency.

The_Militia.zip
(57.22 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
NOTE: Requires 'Default L0 Era' to work!
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

gnombat wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 2:12 pm Version 1.5.2, dated Apr 06 2013, is on the 1.11 add-on server.
I get it, Thank you :)
MoonyDragon wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:25 pm I too updated and played 'The Militia', but that was to play the units from 'Default L0 Era' in a campaign setting. As a result, I replaced all custom units with their equivalent in my era and simply cut off parts of the campaign that required too much work to fix. I removed scenario 15a due to unnecessary custom terrain and units, and scenario 15c for containing a broken terrain generation macro.
It is by no means a perfect port, but in my opinion, some parts of the campaign are legitimately obsolete and ought to be reworked. I highly recommend you to remove L0->L0 advancement units like the 'Peasant Child' and to update the others by adding my era as a dependency.
To say the truth, I am not interested in becoming the maintainer of the campaign, but only in bringing it as it is to the most recent versions of BfW, because I think it contains interesting and original elements; elements that can inspire campaign creators.
So I'll just try to make it 100% functional and change as little as possible, at least for now, in future I'll see.
Thank you the same for your tips. :)
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Very well, here is it the campaign The Militia for BfW 1.15.8.
The_Militia.7z
(644.66 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
I have tested all the campaign scenarios at the normal level, and everything seems to work, however, if any player finds any malfunctions he can report them to me here; I'll try to put a patch on it.

But, as I have already written, I have no intention of becoming the maintainer of the campaign; so I won't make any changes to maps, balances, storylines, dialogs and so on; :annoyed: at least for the moment.

I want to clarify this point because the campaign's plot is halfway between a Marx brothers' comedy and a Monty Python's film, so many people might find it ... a little weird (if you don't know who the Marx Brother were, you can find three of them in the Under the Burning Suns campaign :lol:. If, instead, you don't know who the Monty Python are ... well, your life it's quite useless :mrgreen: )
All this to say that It's a very particular campaign and I don't want to change its mood. :hmm:

That's all folk.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> All this to say that It's a very particular campaign and I don't want to change its mood.

Understandable - you want to preserve it rather than rewrite it.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

shevegen wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:26 pm > All this to say that It's a very particular campaign and I don't want to change its mood.

Understandable - you want to preserve it rather than rewrite it.
Well, I try to explain with an example :eng:
I can take La Gioconda and I can replace the Mona Lisa's face with Charlize Theron's face; there is no doubt that the painting could be even more pleasing, (at least for male's eyes :lol: ) but it would no longer be La Gioconda, it would be another thing.

About the campaign: the plot is devoid of common sense, the gameplay of many scenarios are questionable, maps are essential (to put it mildly), but all these flaws, put together, make sense of the campaign. I like this campaign how it is; changing something, even for an improvement, does not at all guarantee me that this balance will persist.

Moreover, I have a certain admiration for the brains that have been able to conceive such a campaign, and I envy their ability to create something truly original without falling into flashiness; it seems to me that I am doing them a disgrace by modifying their creature.

Last, but not least, in the past I started working on at least six new campaigns (I don't even remember their exact number anymore :doh: ) and I only have one life. :(

Finally, I would like to make an extremely personal consideration; the way the campaign was conceived, the way the code was written, the characters and the willingness to take nothing seriously, all these things gave me the impression that the author was a joyful person, and this impression, perhaps wrong, made me happy in my turn. By preserving this campaign I will perhaps allow others to enjoy the same joy. :D
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

They reported to me a couple of errors in the campaign;
a venial one, regarding the objective of the third scenario, and a fatal one that prevents you from continuing beyond the third scenario.

In the attachment of this post I provide the version with the two corrected errors.
The_Militia_1.7z
(644.63 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
My apologies :oops:
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Argesilao2 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 8:37 pmFinally, I would like to make an extremely personal consideration; the way the campaign was conceived, the way the code was written, the characters and the willingness to take nothing seriously, all these things gave me the impression that the author was a joyful person, and this impression, perhaps wrong, made me happy in my turn. By preserving this campaign I will perhaps allow others to enjoy the same joy. :D
Thank you! And thank you for keeping the campaign playable. I made it with my older brother and even modeled some characters after my brothers.
I haven't played Battle for Wesnoth in years and if I were to try updating the campaign I would have to re-learn the system. I also might end up changing bits such as the spellings of the elves' names. (After learning some linguistics I see how absurd they actually are. But maybe that's part of the lightheartedness of the campaign.) If you ever want input you're welcome to message me and I should get an email saying that I got a message here.

The brother who inspired Mathias died of cancer a couple years ago. But I have some of his actual quotes saved. Like these:
“The number of times I’ve won an olympic gold medal can be counted on one hand without raising a finger.”
"The sound of plaid bagpipes smells like the sound of polka. (Only more cheery.)"
“One person can affect the atmosphere of a whole room, just by changing the AC.”
“When I was in high school, someone accused me of owning the Cuban Missile Base.”
"[Liquid nitrogen]'s a lot safer to get on your face than the sun."
"Pretty soon we won't have to use Navajo; we can use English and nobody will know what we're saying."
"Time is a theory like gravity."
“[Jesus] didn’t play the 'God card.’ He just showed it to the GM and said, 'I’m in charge here. Shhh…’”
"When you freeze something it doesn't change. ...and that's why Pluto's still a planet."
"If fish were bigger than termites then birds would have wings."
"I always microwave to the tune of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
"Slot machines are fun. You put your stuff in, you get someone else's stuff out. Kinda like the laundromat."
The Militia
Merry Christmas