The Militia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Militia

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Desert_Shyde wrote:I changed the parts I thought needed changed. Dead Water didn't have a picture for the Tail attack, so my brother and I made one. It isn't very good, though, so if anyone wants to make a replacement picture I'd be obliged.
What version of Dead Water did you used? The latest version, on the 1.8 add-ons server, has both files. You can find them in the images/attacks folder.
Also, considering that this is a Level 0 campaign, do you think that may be a good idea adding Sapling Woses (from The Rise of Wesnoth) to the Elves' recruit list?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Thanks; I added the picture.

No, I don't think Yaeven would have woses.

Version 1.1 should be up today.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Silas's "Time out" power doesn't work: he is petrified but the attack continues and he still takes and deals damage. (but he can't be attacked later)
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Hey,
Love the campaign :). Noticed two bugs (non-scenario specific for one, the other in removing the threat)
Lazarus died, and was replaced. Nolu (the replacement) became leader. next scenario, Lazarus was back. And he was still leader. Problem: Not only was he dead, Nolu was STILL the leader. I had 2 leaders. Can you fix this please? I would do it like this-its very, very ugly, but it would work.

Code: Select all

[event]
 name=prestart
 [kill]
  [filter]
   id=Lazarus
  [/filter]
 [/kill]

The other is that in removing the threat, I could only recruit mermen (it was the peasants). I could still recall elves and humans, but mermen?Wrong army.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

No, no, no, WAIT!

Code it this way:

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=prestart
    [store_unit]
        [filter]
            id=Lazarus
        [/filter]
        kill=yes
        variable=lazarus_sleeping # Or whatever variable name you want.
    [/store_unit]

[store_unit]
        [filter]
            id=Nolu
        [/filter]
        variable=nolu_leader
        kill=yes
    [/store_unit]

{MODIFY_UNIT (id=$nolu_leader.id) (canrecruit=yes)}
    [unstore_unit]
        variable=nolu_leader
        x,y=$lazarus_sleeping.x,$lazarus_sleeping.y
    [/unstore_unit]
[/event]
EDIT: Fixed a slight error.
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Thanks for reporting these. Sorry I took so long to check back. I'll see about a version 1.2 with these fixed.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hallo,

Sorry, it might be I am wrong in this forum, but there is no other for "The militia".

I had fun playing (normal difficulty, wesnoth 1.8.5) until the fair scenario. There I have big troubles.

When trading for items there could be a comment at the end of dialog about the effect like "ahh, I feel much stronger" and/or by narrator "hitpoints +3" or so.

By default Lazarus has a lot of mermen (according to the ranking in the list of veterans?), who do not help so much. To exclude them, I think, would enhance Lazarus' chances.

What is the function of Silas, it takes 1 or 2 rounds, then he is gone.

The elves have not even a base income, is this intended? Lazarus' income is about the same as for each of the opponents. The Opponents can recruit 1-2 units each turn, this means Lazarus and the elf together should defeat at least 6 enemies each turn, thats unrealistic.

Alltogether I have no clue, how to beat this scenario. As in all scenarios the chances for a hit almost always are less than that of the opponents (at any time of day). At the start Lazarus has 1 elv. champ (lvl3), 1 trapper(lvl2), 1 spearman, 1 fencer, 1 elv.shaman, 1 cavalryman, and 4 mermen. Until I can recruit and position my other level 2 and and level 1 land units, the other units are slughtered. In round 7 Lazarus lost half my army.

regards
macherb
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

wesfreak wrote:Silas's "Time out" power doesn't work: he is petrified but the attack continues and he still takes and deals damage. (but he can't be attacked later)
I've fixed this on the offline copy; now the time out (or "stay where you are" which petrifies the enemy unit) will happen at the end of the turn if he's attacking, or will negate the attack if he was the one being attacked.
Kapoue_II wrote:Lazarus died, and was replaced. Nolu (the replacement) became leader. next scenario, Lazarus was back. And he was still leader. Problem: Not only was he dead, Nolu was STILL the leader. I had 2 leaders. Can you fix this please?
This one's tricky - I'd really like to know why it is happening. I suppose I could set a flag that kills Lazarus every scenario if he's ever died before, but I want to know why it's working wrong in the first place.
Kapoue_II wrote:The other is that in removing the threat, I could only recruit mermen (it was the peasants). I could still recall elves and humans, but mermen?Wrong army.
According to Desert_Shyde, this is intentional.
macherb wrote:Hallo,

Sorry, it might be I am wrong in this forum, but there is no other for "The militia".
You're in the right place.
macherb wrote:I had fun playing (normal difficulty, wesnoth 1.8.5) until the fair scenario. There I have big troubles.

When trading for items there could be a comment at the end of dialog about the effect like "ahh, I feel much stronger" and/or by narrator "hitpoints +3" or so.
The bow (adds an attack which can't be counterattacked) and potion (transforms the unit in to a random unit of the same level) are pretty self-explanatory, but maybe we could add an extra comment on the ring (changes short-range attacks to long-range and long-range attacks to short-range). Desert_Shyde might like the mystery, though - I'll ask her about it.
macherb wrote:By default Lazarus has a lot of mermen (according to the ranking in the list of veterans?), who do not help so much. To exclude them, I think, would enhance Lazarus' chances.
That's a good suggestion - about the only use that I've found for an initial merman is to polymorph it into something else (the drake or ghost I usually end up with then comes in pretty handy). What we'll probably do is limit the number of initial mermen to two or three.

As for how the units that you start with are decided - it's based on the order that Wesnoth internally stores them in, which I don't know much about. It's probably something with no discernible order under most circumstances.
macherb wrote:What is the function of Silas, it takes 1 or 2 rounds, then he is gone.
That little? He's supposed to be a powerhouse with two lives and a host of side powers - a serious pain for the orcs. I have noticed that he doesn't do much to lighten the load on the player, though - he'll be more powerful in the next version (and more prone to attack the player on hard mode).
macherb wrote:The elves have not even a base income, is this intended? Lazarus' income is about the same as for each of the opponents. The Opponents can recruit 1-2 units each turn, this means Lazarus and the elf together should defeat at least 6 enemies each turn, thats unrealistic.
It's really not that hard once you have most of the villages. As for the elves' income... that's probably because we didn't want the elves' money to change on the first two turns, when they hadn't arrived yet. It doesn't seem to make much difference since there are a bunch of villages to grab to the south (and cheap lvl0 units to do it with), but we might add some income when they arrive.
macherb wrote:Alltogether I have no clue, how to beat this scenario. As in all scenarios the chances for a hit almost always are less than that of the opponents (at any time of day). At the start Lazarus has 1 elv. champ (lvl3), 1 trapper(lvl2), 1 spearman, 1 fencer, 1 elv.shaman, 1 cavalryman, and 4 mermen. Until I can recruit and position my other level 2 and and level 1 land units, the other units are slughtered. In round 7 Lazarus lost half my army.
We usually have several level 3 units (five or more) by that scenario. It isn't supposed to be winnable with just level 0 units, though five level 2 units might be sufficient.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Update (after speaking with Desert_Shyde):
Brilliand wrote:The bow (adds an attack which can't be counterattacked) and potion (transforms the unit in to a random unit of the same level) are pretty self-explanatory, but maybe we could add an extra comment on the ring (changes short-range attacks to long-range and long-range attacks to short-range). Desert_Shyde might like the mystery, though - I'll ask her about it.
We'll be adding a comment when someone picks up the ring.
Brilliand wrote:That's a good suggestion - about the only use that I've found for an initial merman is to polymorph it into something else (the drake or ghost I usually end up with then comes in pretty handy). What we'll probably do is limit the number of initial mermen to two or three.
This won't be changing. If you get a bad roll of the dice in what units you start with, that's your problem.
Brilliand wrote:It doesn't seem to make much difference since there are a bunch of villages to grab to the south (and cheap lvl0 units to do it with), but we might add some income when they arrive.
The elves' income will not be changing.
You are a Dark Adept: you dimmerse yourself in the dark arts...potentially with great rewards....
-JW's personality quiz
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Okay, Brilliand should have updated The Militia to version 1.2. Let us know if there are still problems. As per Elvish_Hunter's suggestion, I've decided to let Yaeven recruit woses during The Fair.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

Brilliand wrote:We'll be adding a comment when someone picks up the ring.
Never mind - we didn't do this. We did, however, lower the prices on the bow and potion, and lower the orcs' starting gold (they were getting about twice as much as they should have due to the three turns of income before they could recruit).

The new version is up now, as of about 1 minute ago - so Desert_Shyde announced it a bit early.
-JW's personality quiz
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

Version 1.3 should be up today or tomorrow.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Brilliand

Post by Brilliand »

The Militia has been uploaded to the 1.9 add-on server.
-JW's personality quiz
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, in "the fair", I experienced a frozing turn, when the mage appears. I'm using 1.9.4 on windows xp.
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

ydcl wrote:Hi, in "the fair", I experienced a frozing turn, when the mage appears. I'm using 1.9.4 on windows xp.
I don't know what you mean by that. You were unable to move? What difficulty level were you playing? Silas is supposed to petrify randomly.
The Militia
Merry Christmas