Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Ice Age Fun and Japhel's Journey

Post by Mountain_King »

Hello again,
Sorry it took me so long to get back (well, not really sorry because I got a lot done). I uploaded version 1.5.4 of IAF without fanfare about five minutes after Angrenpaur's post, thus removing the game-breaking bug.

The error with the map editor is probably because I initially got the terrain from IftU. I thought it would conflict less if I used the same terrain codes. :hmm: Since After the Storm is the sequel to IftU, it probably has a lot of the same custom terrains. Unless it causes other problems, I'm going to leave it as-is because terrain WML confuses me rapidly.

And, in the intervening time since my last post, I made a lot of progress on Japhel's Journey. The next release, 0.2.5, should have two more playable scenarios. All I have to do is some balance tweaking and opening/closing dialogue on the one scenario and I'm ready.

Best Regards,
Mountain_King

(WooHoo! Post 500!)
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Yes. After a month of waiting, version 0.2.5 of Japhel's Journey is finally up!

Changes you'll see in this version:
Japhel no longer has traits
Some tweaks to his AMLA.
The heroes now have silver crowns
Two new playable scenarios
One cutscene
Villain appears (finally!)
More backstory
New character!

And also, since I already downloaded 1.8 for fixing AoD, I went to the work of making a new 1.8 release of IAF. Version 1.3.0 beta just went to the server. :D

Changes from previous version:
Trackplacer from scenarios 1-6
King Snaga uses the same portrait he does in 1.9.
"To the Caves" map is redone, similarly to the redo in 1.9
In lieu of a better overhaul on the scenario in the 1.9 version, side 2 (your ally) in "Otherworldy Experience" has been given 100 more gold for each difficulty level.
Ice Age Humans are now called "Lucht Oighir" as they were in the 1.9 edition.
Removed the "Mountain King" track from scenario 18. :cry:
Fixed all appearances of two teams with the same color (I think I got them all).

I hope you all enjoy it. :)

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Njord

Post by Njord »

I've been playing Wesnoth for quite a while but have just now registered on the forum. Reason being I've been enjoying Ice Age Fun but am stuck. Hope someone can help me. I'm in the Stone of Destiny scenario and I've passed the tests thru the combat test. I've killed all the enemies and picked up the big key that's supposed to be for a big gate. Also, I am told by Petra to report back to his chamber. I've looked around for passages I haven't been in before but found none. I returned to Petra's chamber and nothing happens. So I'm stuck! Help!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Hello Njord,
Thank you for your feedback. At this point, I would like it if you can provide me with a few additional details, primarily:
1. What version of Wesnoth are you playing?
2. What version of Ice Age Fun are you playing?
3. Do you know how to attach a replay? If you can, please do so.
4. Did you help Petra find all his "stuff" :P before trying the floor puzzle or after?
5. Have you defeated the Death Knight in the "power" test yet?

I am aware that scenario has some troubles (it's overdue for an overhaul, but I've been having trouble deciding where to start. The scenario is so big it took me over two months to code it all[!] :mrgreen: ). At this point, the only advice I can give is to simply try the big gate (it's down the southern tunnel). Sorry it took me so long to write back, I haven't been frequenting the forums lately. School tends to keep me pretty busy recently. Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Tron91

Post by Tron91 »

hey i played both the Ice Age campaigns and i just wait to have them in full, but i faced a problem when i first loaded up Ice Age, it had some MACRO missing. Only when i tried to load up Japhel's Journey, i knew where the macro was missing. I was missing the Era required. It would be responsible for you to put in the PBL file when you upload for playing the campaign, the requirements, both BfW version as well as other external Era requirements. That helps in a lot of problems.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Was this recently? IAF should have all the macros working, though a bit of the WML needs to be reworked to better fit with 1.9.9. In fact, it loads just fine on my computer.
IAF does not require any other eras either. Only Japhel's Journey requires use of Age of Dinosaurs to function. So, like in my above post to Njord, I would appreciate it if you (tron) gave the following information:
1. What version of Wesnoth
2. What version of Ice Age Fun (JJ is irrelevant at this point as it seems you are only missing the era)
3. Operating system
4. Error message (screenshot preferred)
5. stderr txt

Thank you,
Mountain_King
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Tron91

Post by Tron91 »

Lemme try to recreate the scenario, when i got the error. Then i can give you the details hopefully.

Didn't get it now, think the problem might be related to the older version of BfW i was using, had changed my BfW version recently, 2 or 3 days ago.
yeah now i recall i had tried to run it in the older version first.

Sorry for the fuss, got messed up with too much errors in the campaigns, ever since i migrated from BfW 1.7.x to 1.9.8. Many old campaigns stopped working. Trying to get them to work now. Lucky i have Notepad++ lol.

Anyway keep up the good work; Need more Ice lol
Njord

Post by Njord »

Mountain_King wrote:Hello Njord,
At this point, the only advice I can give is to simply try the big gate (it's down the southern tunnel). Sorry it took me so long to write back, I haven't been frequenting the forums lately. School tends to keep me pretty busy recently. Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Mountain_King
Thanks for the reply, Mountain King. Imagine my surprise when I went back in the scenario and noticed finally, that the southern passageway had miraculously appeared & I was able to complete the scenario. I'm now on to the big battle. All I needed to do was look around a little more - geez!

Thanks for a great campaign, too, with a lot of fun characters. One of the best ones yet!

Njord
Evander

Post by Evander »

tried to start Ice age on 1.9.9

it shows the following error:
cordeirooo

Post by cordeirooo »

Happened the same to me.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Mountain_King doesn't seem to be around lately.
You can try to install "Japhel's Journey" and then try to start Ice Age Fun. This should fix it.
Anther option (if you have limited bandwidth or something) would be to locate your user data dir, go to add-ons/The_Ice_Age/scenarios/, open JJ_Backstory.cfg in an editor and remove the following two lines: (at the very bottom)

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/Japhel's_Journey/macros/deaths.cfg}
{~add-ons/Japhel's_Journey/macros/flag.cfg}
This *could* have bad impact, though...
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

dammit I'm supposed to get e-mails when people respond to this thread...

Yeah, I've been gone a lot lately. Got a job and stuff which cut my Wesnoth time to ~0 and then got sick recently. So then I haven't been working but I've been quite unmotivated to work on my projects since then. Anyway, the bug Evander et al. are referring to seems to be fixed in my copy. I can't promise anything with how chaotic my life has been lately, but looking at the files another release of Japhel's Journey was almost ready when I got my job. With a bit of work I could have something up pretty soon, maybe once the 1.10 addon server is created (with 1.10 out now we all know the 1.9 server probably isn't long for this world).

Best Regards,
Mountain_King

P.S. Though I haven't logged in in a while, I do try to make a habit of lurking at least once a week, so I should eventually hear something even if I don't get an e-mail about it.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Mountain_King wrote:With a bit of work I could have something up pretty soon, maybe once the 1.10 addon server is created (with 1.10 out now we all know the 1.9 server probably isn't long for this world).
IIUC, the old 1.9 add-on server will remain as the 1.10 server; and there will be a new one for 1.11. So, you can upload it right now. :)
Release Announcement for The Battle for Wesnoth 1.10 wrote:The add-ons server for 1.10.x is already running. It was started during the development of 1.9.0 and it serves content for all 1.9.x and 1.10.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author — most of them should be here in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Good to know! That means the new version of SCE is okay as well.

So, it's taking a bit longer than I thought to get the new version of JJ ready. The coding for this is a bit more complex than I thought. Maybe another day or two and it'll be up and running.

Best Regards,
M_K
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

There was a time when I was working on campaign in glacial scenery and started to design paleolithic villages. The results are here:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=135 (near the bottom of the page)
Maybe you would be interested in these buildings? If yes I would find original pictures and upload them on forum.