Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

boru

Re: Small critique

Post by boru »

jearrr wrote:I just registered to this forum to give You a little feedback for Your campaign: It is an excellent, most likely the most entertaining storyline in the game which wraps up some very good missions. Drama, irony, surprising u-turns, jokes, and glory: Your campaign has it all. This should go into the main package!
Jearrr, welcome to the forums. I'm honored that you joined just to give me feedback. I hope you'll stick around and get involved. It sounds like you may be interested in creating sprites, and there's certainly a need for good artists here.

It's my hope that Swamplings will eventually become a mainline campaign. There's still a few hurdles to clear before it can be considered for mainline. I need to code the ending, for example.
jearrr wrote:The only trouble I currently have is the last mission with the Augur.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
jearrr wrote:More praise and suggestions:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
jearrr wrote:ps How much effort/time was the creation of the pixel art? How long does it take to make a unit? Where does one start?
For me, it was no effort, because I didn't draw anything. We have some really gifted sprite artists here. Stern created the mosquito unit with all the animations in about a week, which really amazed me. He's really good at this. Definitely check out the starting points Dixie mentioned, he's done some spriting and knows more about it than me.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
boru

Re: Swamplings - Please help w tree

Post by boru »

Okay, when I first dreamt up this campaign I was going to keep the custom unit tree extremely sparse. The swamp goblins were primitives with no access to metallurgy beyond what little they could scavenge or trade, so no swordsmen or heavy armor. Wolf riding had not yet been invented, so things were going to be rather limited, and that would be one of the challenges.

Well, I've done just about a 180 on this concept. The more I thought about it, the more questions I couldn't answer, like why wouldn't they throw rocks? Why can't chaotic primitives use Nightstalk? What substitutes would they have for metal armor? And the tree just started growing, as trees will do.

I'd appreciate people's input on this, since it's my first attempt at a unit tree. I'm not all that concerned with balance - this is not intended for a multiplayer match against Knalgans or Undead -- just want to see if it looks fun and interesting to play.
Spoiler:
Last edited by boru on August 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Fog

Re: Re: Swamplings - Please help w tree

Post by Fog »

A lot of the level twos have little to no similarities to their counterparts. Ex. Impaler > Wose, Pillager > Cutthroat. All of the ideas are great, but they are out of the blue. Generally a level one unit (level zero in your case, but the logic still holds true.), say a human spearman, gets special abilities on his level up and on the third level no new abilities are introduced, but the previous ones are hardened.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
boru

Post by boru »

Thanks, Fog. Okay, I get the part where you say all the ideas are great, and we are in agreement there. Not so sure I understand the rest. I think you are mostly objecting to the transitions between level 2 mainline units and higher level custom units. So for example, the levelup from Spearman to Moonbeam, a unit with no spear, a club, hatchets and Nightstalk is acceptable, but the levelup from Impaler to Wose, a unit with spear, Firststrike, and bark armor is out of the blue? All I did was give him bark armor. Or are both examples out the blue?

Your point about the Cutthroat is valid but the fix may be complicated. The Bloodlust variant I'm using is too powerful to give to a level 2 unit (it would be like letting the White Mage illuminate). Since Pillager can slow, and the combination of these abilities would be godlike, I'm taking away Slow and giving the other ability. A quick look at the mainline tree shows me that kind of thing isn't done in mainline -- once a unit has an ability or attack it doesn't go away. At least not from level 2 to 3. So I'll try to fit the Cutthroat in somewhere else, either by introducing a third level 2 unit branching from the Wolf Rider or have him as a branch off of the Goblin Knight.

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I mean what fog hint's at is RIPLIB, and while I forgot what the acronyms' letters refer to exactly, it generally means that a unit shouldn't be forced to lose a feature or worsen in a field. Basically, you can have units trading abilities/characteristics/etc. for others, thus worsening in some field and gtting better in others, but you should try to always have at least one unit branch that only gets beter at what it was already doing, whatever it was. I'm not sure if it applies to you, I've only taken a quick glance at your thing.

I think it's a fun change how you try to remain in the lower levels. Velensk designed a faction around that concept, some time ago, so you might like to look at it to get some ideas about balance/useful features for such a faction. I'm not really sure, but I think it's in Grafted ea, on the add-on server?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

I looked it up on the wiki:
RiPLIB - Reduction in Power when Levelling Is Bad: means that when a unit upgrades, at least one of its options should be strictly superior to the original unit.
There's a great deal of subjectivity here. I can see one player wanting to upgrade his Spearman to a Pikeman because he gets a better pierce attack, and hating the Javelineer because he can't get past level two, and another player wanting Javelineer because he won't lose the ranged attack and hating Swordsman because he'd lose firststrike. In this case, each of the three choices is "strictly superior" but in different ways.

I do think lower levels make more sense for goblins - they are the only race in Wesnoth with negative attributes. I guess it's fun to have them inventing democracy and flying around in balloons too but it really wasn't the kind of thing I was after.

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I think you don't really understand RIPLIB. Of course, all Lv2s are superior to their Lv1 counterpart (to any Lv1, for that matter). Wouldn't make much sense levelling if that wasn't the case.

You should rather interpret "strictly superior" as "the exact same thing, but better". Let's take the spearman's example: it's RIPLIB lv up would probably be the Javelineer (I think), since it loses nothing. Pikeman is about the same, but looses the ranged attack, and swordsman loses both the ranged, firststrike and changes type. (although I hesitate on that one, because the javelineer changes role (becomes more of a mixed fighter) and the pikeman less so (remains pure fighter). I doesn't mean "one Lv up path has to be clearly superior to the others" either: if some of them had no uses, nobody would pick them. It just means "there should always be a level up path that loses nothing, in case you want your unit to keep doing what it was already doing, and not change role, albeit very slightly".

Anyway, dunno if it applies to your faction.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

Me neither, since I don't understand it. But if it would cause someone to pick a unit that will never see level 3, over two other units that can, it's not all that great. (Shouldn't it be RIPWLIB anyway?)

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Swamplings - v0.9 - 15 of 16 scenarios completed

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

boru, I noticed that, in Dire Cave, you have a Rocklobber, a magic spear, a Ghast and a Mausuleum.
- About the Troll Rocklobber, considering that this is the only one that you get, may be a good idea to make it able to advance as Troll Boulderlobber? In TSoG, all Trolls can advance this way. If you want to find the original unit, it is in the BEEM era.
- About the Ghast, you're recycling the same Necrophage graphics. Somewhere in the Art Contributions, there are the new Ghast sprites made by Stern. Really impressive.
- About the magic spear, the monster that appear seems a bit overpowered to me. Considering that the unit taking the spear will be at best a Level 1 Goblin (either Impaler or Rouser), I suggest you to lower its attacks, to give the player a chance to pick the spear.
- In the [item] tag for the Mausuleum, you're using the halo key. This causes every unit that moves here to be placed under the mausuleum. To fix this, you should replace halo with image - but then it can't be animated, and I'm not sure if this works with images bigger than 72x72.
I hope that this will be useful :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Elvish_Hunter,

Of course, your posts have been very helpful to me, including this one. Let's take your points one by one:

- I'll look into the boulder lobber. Sounds like a good idea.
- I don't think Stern has finished his work on the Ghast yet. Originally that character was going to be a saurian necrophage, but once I saw Stern's ghast, I decided he's got to be a ghast. I'll definitely swap out the necrophage sprites for the ghast when it's ready, but I know these things take time to get right.
- The spear guardian .. he's the Enlightened Master of Fire from Inferno8's Era of Magic. Yeah he's tough all right ... no way a level one gobo could survive solo, but there are a few other options. First, you'll have bats to run interference, and the guardian can only roast one unit per turn, usually he'll go for the weakest. So you could do it that way, also there are now level ups for the gobos. The rousers can advance to trumpeter and the impaler to goblin wose. So it will definitely be a tough battle to get that spear but it is doable.
- That mausoleum has to animate! It's Rhyging's awesome work here. I know that halo= isn't the best way to put this in the game, and image= won't work either. I think it needs to be defined as [terrain_graphics] -- eventually I'll blunder into the answer, but for now units vanish when they enter that hex. Kinda spooky huh?

its_crunchtime

Post by its_crunchtime »

I just registered so I could tell you that im really loving your campaign so far :mrgreen:
Its great! Only problem is that when I try to load up the Selling bats to Merfolk scen, it gives me this:

Error
Error while playing the game:game_error: invalid slide(4) found in unit definition

Is this a problem with the scenario, or is it a problem of my comp? And is there any way to fix it? Please help... I want to play it through :wink:
What would you attempt to do if you could not fail?
boru

Post by boru »

its_crunchtime wrote:I just registered so I could tell you that im really loving your campaign so far :mrgreen:
Hey wow, I really appreciate that!
its_crunchtime wrote:Its great! Only problem is that when I try to load up the Selling bats to Merfolk scen, it gives me this:

Error
Error while playing the game:game_error: invalid slide(4) found in unit definition

Is this a problem with the scenario, or is it a problem of my comp? And is there any way to fix it? Please help... I want to play it through :wink:
Okay, I see the error .. sorry about that ... it's not a problem with your computer ...

I just posted a bugfix on the server. You will need to download it by clicking add-ons, then click "update add-ons." Reload from scenario 6 or earlier, and all should be fine.

its_crunchtime

Post by its_crunchtime »

Its downloading now, thanks for the help!

Im kind of getting inspired to make my own campaign now 8) ... where did you learn how to code the maps n' all that stuff?
Thanks again for the help!
What would you attempt to do if you could not fail?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

boru wrote:- I'll look into the boulder lobber. Sounds like a good idea.
In my opinion, it is. 8)
boru wrote:- I don't think Stern has finished his work on the Ghast yet.
Glad to see that you already know it.
boru wrote:- The spear guardian .. he's the Enlightened Master of Fire from Inferno8's Era of Magic. Yeah he's tough all right ... no way a level one gobo could survive solo, but there are a few other options. First, you'll have bats to run interference, and the guardian can only roast one unit per turn, usually he'll go for the weakest. So you could do it that way, also there are now level ups for the gobos. The rousers can advance to trumpeter and the impaler to goblin wose. So it will definitely be a tough battle to get that spear but it is doable.
Then mine it's a cross-playing problem. I'll replay from scratch when you'll release 1.0.
boru wrote:I think it needs to be defined as [terrain_graphics]
The main problem is that I think that also terrains must be 72x72. Maybe it's time to file a Feature Request?
its_crunchtime wrote:Im kind of getting inspired to make my own campaign now ... where did you learn how to code the maps n' all that stuff?
Click on "Create" at the top of the page, you'll find most of the things here. And, for every question, there is the WML Workshop. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
boru wrote:I think it needs to be defined as [terrain_graphics]
The main problem is that I think that also terrains must be 72x72. Maybe it's time to file a Feature Request?
The mausoleum tiles are 72x72 with a transparent edge, so the actual image is smaller. So there does need to be a terrain layer underneath. I think there are ways for the game to handle this, I just need to spend the time to look over my examples and work it out. My first priority is finishing the final scenario ... it's mostly coded now, I'm adding the battle events and smoothing out the rough edges.