Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lynx

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (For 1.9 too!)

Post by lynx »

Played this through. I agree that ghosts are vital, but don't underestimate the assassins. They have good defense everywhere and excellent in some types, plus any enemy archers will likely regret attacking them, since they're marksmen too. Good placement and strength in numbers offsets their low hp and negative resistances.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

"The Founding of Borstep" fails to load on BfW 1.9.5.Please look into the problem.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I guess that's one of the hazards of a development version. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it later today.

Edit: Real life intruded, and it took an extra day, but version 1.1.1 on the server should work correctly.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I'm currently stuck on the 3rd mission, playing on wesnoth 1.8.3, easiest difficulty level. Starting conditions are 3 Orcish Warlords, 2 Orcish Crossbowmen, 1 Goblin Knight, 1 Goblin pillager, several grunts, a few of which are close to levelling, and 262 gold. Has anyone got any suggestions? (Turn 1 save attached if anyone wants to attempt.)
Attachments
TFoB-Life_and_Undeath_Turn_1.gz
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I like recruiting a bunch of assassins here. They can hit elves in the woods with poison attacks, and they are hard to hit in return. They die eventually, but then you have ghosts which do extra damage to the elves with arcane attacks. Build up an army of ghosts, and level them up to wraiths. Some of your grunts may have enough experience to go straight to a level 2 ghost when they die, and it wouldn't be bad to make ghosts out of a couple more of your high level units. You can't have too many ghosts: they will be useful later, but impossible to get.

Also, try to lure the elves out of the woods at night, and leave the merfolk villages alone.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Some negligible bugs I have noticed:

In the first scenario (version 1.1.1) I got a "floating text" error message.

and:
Our clan in the strongest.
I think the "in" have to be a "is", right?

and in line 1226

Code: Select all

[delay]
			delay=600
		[/delay]
it has to be:

[delay]
			time=600
		[/delay]
and in line 1336:

[removeitem] => [remove_item]
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Thanks for letting me know. It's hard to keep up with changes in the development version if you are not actually working on a campaign. The floating text error kept the campaign from loading, so it wasn't really negligible! It should all be fixed now though. Try version 1.1.1a.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I found another little thing.

In 09.Dwarv_City,
line 130:

image=terrain/village/tent.png
The image-path leads to nowhere.

Image not found.

Its a great campaign, crazy new ideas. :D
(the bridge-effect in 07_Trolls for example, wow)
Its real fun to play.
But one thing I have to criticize, I played on "normal" and it is hard, very hard.
When "normal" is so hard, how hard is "nightmare"? :?
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I wonder when they moved that? Anyway, I found it and fixed it. Thank you for your reports!
Adamant14 wrote:When "normal" is so hard, how hard is "nightmare"? :?
About on par with Norther Rebirth I think. I played through TFoB on "difficult" when I was developing it, but I made "nightmare" a bit too hard for myself. NR on "nightmare" is also above my level. I'm pretty good, but not the best player, and I wanted to give those people a challenge. It is an expert-level campaign after all. I'm glad you liked it!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

beetlenaut wrote:and I wanted to give those people a challenge
Most of the people that play BfW are not experts.
They have not the experience you have.

I think a player with not much experience has no chance at "normal".

Whats with those people? :hmm:

Maybe you add an "easy-level" for one of your three hard-levels (challenging, difficult, nightmare).

Think about it.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I balanced all the levels already, which took way too much work. I already did create an easier level, which is what normal is. I'm not going to throw away anything I already have, and I'm not going to add a fifth difficulty level. Here is why I don't think I should have to: If you play BfW for a while, you will get good enough that most campaigns are easy. (That's why people play with extra challenges like the all-shaman one.) You will spend a couple years getting that good, and then you will spend all the rest of the years being that good! There are four novice and seven intermediate campaigns that you can play for the first couple years. There are only five expert ones for the rest of the time, and only two of those (NR and SotBE) have a high enough setting that I still haven't been able to win (though other people do). TFoB is intended to be another.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
KJI

Post by KJI »

About the Dwarf City

Dwarf Guard Frozen let only a few possibilities to recruit unit.

I do a test without frozen unit and 3000 gold. I win - but no end of the game occurs (no message). This scenario seems exist for only one issue "defeat" !
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Did you realize that you can recruit in the sand at the bottom of the map? You don't have to use the dwarf's keep.

I just tested the end of the level it worked for me. What version of BfW and TFoB are you using? Remember that you do have to kill every enemy unit to win. Are you sure you did that? (You can use :shroud in debug mode to see if there is hidden unit.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
KJI

Post by KJI »

beetlenaut wrote:Did you realize that you can recruit in the sand at the bottom of the map? You don't have to use the dwarf's keep.
The problem is with frozen unit, we loose the first round for a dwarf attack and this first round is really important for victory.

Updated - with a little practice indeed - it's ok with Frozen Gard !

[quote="I just tested the end of the level it worked for me. What version of BfW and TFoB are you using? Remember that you do have to kill every enemy unit to win. Are you sure you did that? (You can use :shroud in debug mode to see if there is hidden unit.)[/quote]

Updated - I confirm - all the enemy died - my unit are everywhere - i kill the last bat and no victory !

ITFoB version="1.1.1b"
BfW 1.9.7 - now upgrading in 1.9.8

Shroud unavailable in debug mode !
taptap

Post by taptap »

I started this campaign in highest difficulty and I like it very much so far... finished 3rd scenario.

1st scenario: great, well balanced, although you probably have not much choice of strategy - not using the wolves to help killing assassins but to bottle the western exit of their cave might work, but letting them out to fight with the wolves is so much better. the goblin to wolf rider upgrade is great (don't listen to complaints by people who believe they have to get 4 levelled goblins to enjoy the opportunity, I got only 1 too as the goblins die so fast.)

2nd scenario: looked very hard, but the southerners were so very distracted that it was quite possible to beat the northern saurians in the plain (better fight them on bad defense terrain were you can hit, half of their units ignore defense anyway) with a grunt heavy army and to turn back the first units when they were mostly beat. finished with only 53 bonus gold.you can probably do much better.

3rd scenario: nice scenario, great idea. but you get a somehow perverse incentive to let your army die, even your loyal units and your own brother (and i fear ghosts may dominate the rest of the campaign as they did in descent into darkness). as elves in water are very weak, it turned out less hard than expected.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.