Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (8/10 done)

Post by beetlenaut »

You seem to have a corrupted file. The problem is the "BM". I don't know where it came from, but it's not there in the files on my computer, and advancing a shaman works fine for me. Check Orcish_Shaman.cfg, and see if the "BM" is in the advances_to line. If so, you can fix it there and in the save file to correct the error.

I'm working on the last two scenarios together, and I hope to finish them both next weekend.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

boru wrote:Still trying to beat "Life & Undeath." When the Shaman advances I got this message:
Sounds like some add-on era or campaign causing trouble.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

boru wrote:Still trying to beat "Life & Undeath." When the Shaman advances I got this message:
beetlenaut wrote:The problem is the "BM". I don't know where it came from, but it's not there in the files on my computer, and advancing a shaman works fine for me. Check Orcish_Shaman.cfg, and see if the "BM" is in the advances_to line.
boru and beetlenaut, I've checked it for you. beetlenaut, your code is OK, in your unit's cfg there isn't any BM.
zookeeper wrote:Sounds like some add-on era or campaign causing trouble.
zookeeper is right: "BM" is the prefix that indicates units from BEEM. So, boru, remove BEEM and everything will be fine. In past, I had to uninstall BEEM because it overridden Troll Shamans sprites in TSoG... :(
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:zookeeper is right: "BM" is the prefix that indicates units from BEEM. So, boru, remove BEEM and everything will be fine. In past, I had to uninstall BEEM because it overridden Troll Shamans sprites in TSoG... :(
I downloaded BEEM from the add-on server and took a look at it, but it doesn't seem like it's leaking any unit advancements, especially not outside MP. Might be some other add-on which has copied units from BEEM.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Hey, I just finished this campaign up to the underground lake scenario, so I decided to give some feedback.

First, you really don't mess around with the expert difficulty do you :P . I think almost every scenario was a struggle with the excpetion of the saurians which weren't too bad. However I think I maybe should have finished the first scenario quicker which would have left more gold for future scenarios. After that I spent ages on the elf level before I finally found the right mix of offense/defense and village grabbing. The ghosts thing is obviously a huge advantage but I still think it could be made slightly easier.
For the Loyalists I think I might have been able to fight them head on but I decided it'd be easier to just assassinate the general with shadows which worked rather well, it also meant I finally stabilised my gold situation which I needed. I'm not sure if winning the next scenario would be possible without this quick finish.
The orc scenario I didn't really like, its not terribly difficult but the low time limit and needing gold at the end was more of an annoying challenge than a fun one.
The elves looked very hard at the start(I just had 100 gold I think) but I decided to recruit solely ghost and go straight across the ice. This just about worked but cost me quite a few ghosts when some elves managed to catch me at the other side of the ice.
I spent a number of tries on the troll scenario before I finally got it right, I threw my remaining four ghosts into a quick assassination of the blue leader, holed my orcs up on one side of the cavern and sent the ghosts to deal with the green leader. I also got the yeti to do some work. This worked about as well as possible but it was still a huge rush to try get to purple in time, in that rush I had to lose 3 ghosts leaving me with just 1 left. I'd suggest increasing the turn limit maybe by 5. Also it takes too long to get to that extra gold on the big negative upkeep, so I'd also suggest changing that somehow. Right now its just taunting the player :wink: . Last scenario was easy enough though I did manage to lose my last ghost when I left the dwarf vulneruble in the water. I could also have got by with some lower lvl units here I think.

Anyway, thanks for a very fun and challenging campaign. For future scenarios though, please don't make ghosts a necessity because by now I have none left. :)
boru

Post by boru »

Thanks all for the help. It's definitely not BEEM because I don't have that one. I do have a lot of add-on's though. I dug around and found out it's from RPG Creation Kit by Bob the Mighty.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Orcish Campaign: The Founding of Borstep (Complete!)

Post by beetlenaut »

The Black Sword wrote:First, you really don't mess around with the expert difficulty do you
I balance the hardest difficulty by making it too hard for me to win. There are much better players out there, and I want to give them a challenge. I never want turns to be the limiting factor though, so I increased them on three scenarios.
Spoiler:
I've completed this campaign now, with two new scenarios and an epilogue! I added TSI's new shaman sprites, and even started animating them. I plan to finish them eventually, but I need to get back to my real job, so I won't mind if someone else gets to them first.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I'm getting a failed assertion:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Assertion failed!

Program: ...ram Files\Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.2\wesnoth.exe
File: src\actions.cpp
Line: 467

Expression: !wml_triggered
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is a bug in BfW, not the campaign, so I don't think I can fix it. It works for me every time so far, but if you upload a savefile of the last moment before you win, I will give it a try and see what happens. If it works, I can upload the resulting file starting on the next level if you want. (It might work. I'm using 1.8.2 also, but on Linux.) Either way, you should file a bug report because this shouldn't happen.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Sorry it had to be because of a bug!
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Thanks, I submitted this:

#16148 [Gna.org]
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I tried your save file, and it crashes for me too. I can't figure out what is different about yours that makes BfW crash when mine doesn't, but I hope the developers can fix it soon. Is anyone else having the same problem?
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I just tried gnombat's save expecting that it's a win only bug (it crashes), but since you get the crash too beetlenaut, it's your task to find out why. ;)
@gnombat A start-of-scenario save, or from the end of the previous scenario, would probably be helpful.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Anonymissimus wrote:since you get the crash too beetlenaut, it's your task to find out why.
I did. The game crashes when the scenario causes it to recall a unit. (I haven't debugged the game, but that's different.) Follow the link to gnombat's bug report for more information.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Anonymissimus wrote:@gnombat A start-of-scenario save, or from the end of the previous scenario, would probably be helpful.
I attached the save file from the start of the scenario to #16148 [Gna.org].
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've created a work-around to avoid the code that triggers the assertion bug. Download version 0.9.1, and all should be well.
If you are having this problem, you will have to restart from the beginning of Dwarf_City unless you are gnombat.
@gnombat: I've applied the work-around to your savefile, so if you load it up, you should be able to continue from that point with no problems. (You will still need the new version of TFoB first.)
Attachments
TFoB-Dwarf_City-Auto-Save21.gz
(63.2 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide