What features would you like to see in a huge Wesnoth RPG?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

What features would you like to see in a huge Wesnoth RPG?

Post by artisticdude »

I know I'm completely insane, but I've been wanting to do this forever. Over the next year (or couple years), I plan on coding a giant RPG for Wesnoth, with at least 60 different levels, user-guided character development, cross-scenario questing, and a (hopefully) intriguing storyline that changes based on the decisions made by the player over the course of the game . I believe I have successfully invented (okay, figured out) an inventory system for wesnoth, which, while not advanced, will allow you to carry and use items such as potions, magic rings, etc. I have yet to figure out a way to equip armor, though I have a good idea how I could implement this feature.

I'd like to know everyone's thoughts about this project (and yes, you can call me crazy if you want), such as what features they would like to see, possible ideas for quests, characters, enemies, level, etc.

I will update this first post with the features that will be included in the game.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Euthanatos93

Re: What features would you like to see in a huge Wesnoth RPG?

Post by Euthanatos93 »

Thing I would recommend would be staying away from a huge mass of randomly generated weapons/armor and [censored]. Rpgs are fun and all but in a turned based game like wesnoth, stuff like digging through massive menus for such things like items, character development and spells tend to slow gameplay WAY down and bore the hell out of people. IMHO this, and the massive amount of bugs (from the huge amount of code for it) are why people don't play Wesband.

Just my two cents. GL.

Also, It might be more interestign to have people be able to play a troupe of characters. One thing that tends to kill RPGs is that when the character dies the game is over.

Some ways around this is to abstract death as a KO instead and have the player choose a second unit to 'sacrifice' in terms of gameplay and abstract that that unit follows behind the troupe at a safe distance carrying the injured comrade.

Another way is to allow characters to recruit new units at varying intervals to make up for expected unit loss.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Or, if a guy dies, they come back to life with reduced stats.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I was thinking of something like Avernum, where if one of your party dies he becomes 'unconscious' until you enter a town or village. However, if all your party members die, you lose the game. I think this will be in part both a single and party-based game, in the respect that you have one main character who can have other characters join his group (you would have a maximum of 4 or 5 characters including your leader). Each character has his/her/it's pros and cons, but you can dismiss an old party member and choose a new one any time you come across a better person. Does this sound reasonable?

My idea for the inventory is a right click option that opens the inventory screen, which displays all the item currently in your possession. To use an item you'd just click it, an option will appear asking you whether or not you're sure you want to use the item (to avoid people using items by mistake), and if you hit yes the item is removed from your inventory and the effect of the item is applied. Do you think only your main character should have an inventory or each of your party members? If each of your party members has one, dismissing one of them causes all the stuff in their inventory to disappear along with the character.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I also think their should be a sort of a summoning system. Maybe just recruiting, but, you can do it anywhere your leader is. You should be able to summon monsters like Bats, Wolves, Saurians, Dragons, etc. Defense of the Goblin had that, so it might work.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hmm, that would make a good spell you could learn (from scrolls, magic instructors, books, inscriptions on tombs, etc.). For instance, for each level of skill you have in summoning, you can summon a more powerful creature. Though I don't think you should be able to summon any intelligent beings like goblins or orcs. I think I could also institute a system where the summoned creature disappears after a certain number of turns (to make it more realistic and to stop people from summoning things nonstop), and where you can only control x number of creatures. The level of creatures you can summon, the number, and the amount of time they remain with you will all depend on your skill with the summon spell. I might even break this spell into separate spells, like 'summon fighter' would summon a melee creature, 'summon archer' would summon a ranged creature, etc.

I'm currently working on a single scenario to test the basic system of the RPG, such as character stats, inventory, and shopping. I'm hoping to get it finished and uploaded to the server sometime over the course of the next two weeks, but I'm pretty bogged down right now, so we'll see...

EDIT: I have thought of several names for this RPG campaign, but for right now I'm sticking with 'The Dark Dagger Wars,' more because it sounds cool than any real storyline reasons. I'm working on the storyline, and I think it's coming along pretty well. I'll post it when I get something reasonable outlined.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:augh: What happened to Vix?! :P

Actually, nearly everything you've mentioned (inventory, summoning system, armor/weapon equipping, etc.) has been done in one form or another, to some extent, before. But I actually don't know of any single epic project that combines all of them...
In fact, I'm currently working on an undead campaign where instead of recruiting, you use a summoning system. And there's also RPG-like leader advancement so you can get new summoning abilities and upgrades... PM me if you're interesting in hearing more- there's no thread for it yet.

:D Well good luck on this, please don't let it turn out as another dead epic-project in the compost pile... :cry: remembers poor QFM... although that really isn't totally dead yet.
If you ever get anywhere with this, it'll be awesome. So good luck again, and remember KISS!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Don't worry, Vix is still going, but I'm not gonna release it again until I have all the scenarios completed (currently I've got 6 finished, 2 under construction). And believe you me, I'm NOT going to give up on this. If I'm suddenly not around any more, you know it's because either I can no longer connect to the internet (which could potentially happen :annoyed: ) or I'm dead, dying, or very sick.

BTW, I'm hoping to finish Vix sometime this month.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

artisticdude wrote:BTW, I'm hoping to finish Vix sometime this month.
:o :D

Btw I just noticed you have 555 posts. Lol.

But enough off-topic.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Btw I just noticed you have 555 posts. Lol.
Hmm? Oh, yeah. I never pay attention to that anymore, it doesn't serve any purpose. There are many artists/campaign designers/WML freaks/occasional pathetic composers/off-topic guys (all of which titles I lay claim to) who have been on the forums longer than I have who have only a fraction of my post count, 'cause they only need to post occasionally to have their work critiqued (I need mine critiqued all the time).

Just to give you an idea of my method for dialogue (based on a code I came up with for melinath to use in Brent, but he hasn't been around for over a month now :( ), I'm posting the dialogue you have with the commanding officer in the first level (spoilerz :wink: ). I haven't yet tested it, and I need to add the [while] tag set in there, but this gives you the general idea.

Spoiler:
lord_joakim

Post by lord_joakim »

If it works out, good for you. Good luck! It sounds amazing; all projects begin with the will to do them.

Personally, I'd like to see some sort of a party system, like others suggest. Also, being a participating soldier in a traditional Wesnoth battle would be fun as well, after you have worked with the small team for a long time; for example, you could do a Minas Tirith-esque battle with the enemy horde while your heroes defend each flank amongst other soldiers and heroes.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

I noticed (with my limited WML eye) that there are two before and after Lathen's name in the first message. What are those for?
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

They make the text between them bold (I hope), but it's been so long since I've worked with that sort of thing I can't remember if it will work... guess I'll find out soon enough, eh? :P
em3

Post by em3 »

Check out Wesband for character development and inventory. Not perfect, but working.
ride on shooting star
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

em3 wrote:Check out Wesband for character development and inventory. Not perfect, but working.
Where can I get that?