"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

hi there.
i play version 8.3 so hade to add the id tags manualy to get the campaing to work.

here is my impression, just finished it= great!
where good storyline.

last level was kinda hard because i just killed 1 saurian in level 2 so i needed a lot of luck for advancing bevore getting killed, but it worked out allright.
in the canyon race i was first a bit worried if they disqualify me for using my pet and it took me 2 tries to make it.

i hope you make quick progress, i can barely wait for the adventures lying ahead :)
Ringcaat

Second release!

Post by Ringcaat »

Here is my second release! This release includes the first seven scenarios of the campaign. I have made several minor changes in the first four scenarios, mostly in dialogue. I also fixed the problem that made scenario 3 trivial.

If you don't want to play from the start, there is nothing that should prevent saved games from working, except that for a saved game in the fourth scenario you'll need to manually enter the name of the next scenario, orcish_attack, in place of "null."

I have also created simple new images for two of the unit types, mainly by changing their color. I'm aware that it looks kind of dorky, but then this is my first foray into pixel art. I'll keep working on it.

Enjoy! And if there are any horrible mistakes, let me know and I'll get to them as soon as possible.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hopefully this new version has more playing and less dialogue... when i played version 1, it felt like i was basically reading a book and making trivial decisions whenever prompted. (ie scenarios 1 and 3 were both deterministic, basically). :)

Anyway, don't let what i say discourage you... but do consider it when updating the campaign. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
sanna

Post by sanna »

ID trouble:

In Capture_the_Flag.cfg

Code: Select all

type=Gifted Gryphlet
but in

id=Gifted_Gryphlet
These must match! You can change it anyway you want it, as far as I know, space IS allowed in ID:s.

EDIT: This is not the only ID trouble, just a sample
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Edit: OOPS here too.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on September 10th, 2004, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

EDIT oops....
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
sanna

Post by sanna »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
sanna wrote:These must match!
Not at all! That has been changed in order to accommodate them being different!
The id= doesn't have to be the same as in type= and advanceto=? :shock: :shock: :shock: Where? In CVS?

The name= of course does not have to be the same, but the id . Anyway, I can't get the campaign to work if they don't match.
Elvish_Pillager

Elvish Pillager wrote:EDIT oops....
Why I failed to edit the original post I fail to understand...
sanna

Post by sanna »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:EDIT oops....
Why I failed to edit the original post I fail to understand...
Aaah, Sorry, I didn't get that. :oops:
Ringcaat

Huh?

Post by Ringcaat »

I don't get it. So, do I have to change the ids, or not?
If the id and type in a [unit] tag have to have the same value, why define them both at all?
sanna

Re: Huh?

Post by sanna »

Ringcaat wrote:I don't get it. So, do I have to change the ids, or not?
If the id and type in a [unit] tag have to have the same value, why define them both at all?
Sorry to have been unclear. Yes, you need to change either the ids, or all type= etc. in the various files. It seems easier to change the ids! :)

When you use type= within f ex a [filter] it must match what is set as id= in the unit configuration file for the unit you are trying to filter.
F. ex you wrote like this in Noble_Gryphon.cfg

[unit]
name=Noble Gryphon
id=Noble_Gryphon
[/unit]
But when you created the Noble Gryphon i f ex Capture_the_Flag.cfg you wrote:

[side]
		side=3
		type=Noble Gryphon
	[/side]
On >0.8.3 this breaks, since name in the unit file no longer is used as the way to look up units, but instead id=, and since you've used Noble_Gryphon (with underscore), but used Noble Gryphon (w/o underscore) in the side-declaration, the loading of the campaign stops with the error message 'Can't find unit Noble Gryphon'.
In >0.8.3, the name= is used as a translatable string. If you keep id= and name= identical in the unit configuration file, it should work on both pre- and post- 0.8.3, I think.

In the same way, if you want to specify what kind of unit a unit can advance to , the advanceto= declaration must match the id= of the up-level unit.
I hope this clears things up.
Ringcaat

Ah, okay

Post by Ringcaat »

Yep, thank you. I get it--the burden of internal function is being lifted off of the 'name' key. Makes sense.

I have a problem. I made new images for Noble Gryphon and Gryphon Chieftain, and they sometimes don't show up in the game after I've made some change in a scenario's code. I don't know what is causing this. Has anyone had a similar problem?
scott

Post by scott »

You need to quit and restart Wesnoth. It reads some .cfg files upon startup and caches them. Restarting wesnoth forces it to look at the files again and notice the changes.
Shade

Wow!

Post by Shade »

Wow! I just installed this from the campaign server and this is a really good little campaign. Lot's of fun!
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

An idea:

In Orcish Attack, how about making it possible to beat the orcs. If you do, the campaign goes down an alternate path.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom