Vix: Looking for 1.9 Betatesters for Version 0.3

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vix (comments, suggestions, ideas & critique welcome)

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Many many apologies. I've been extremely busy (Got my first official web design gig). Maybe this weekend. In fact definitly this weekend, or slap me.
Hey, no need to apologize man, I know you've got more important things going on in your life than my campaign. Okay, back to work, where's that .cfg... ah, there it is. Tweaking a few things right now, will add a change log to version 0.2
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

See WML workshop thread.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I just tried out this campaign and wanted to pop in and give some feedback...

When I first saw the objectives "Capture the ships", I rolled my eyes and thought it would just be some lame copy of that UtBS scenario, but I gave it a shot anyways, and boy, was I wrong. This campaign is great! I can tell you've put a lot of effort into this and I can't wait to play more of it! (and by the way, the coming-and-going fog thing was brilliant!)

A couple things, though:

-Somewhere near the beginning (can't remember if it was in the story section, opening dialague, or when you defeat the garrison leader) it said warrios instead of warriors.

-I hijacked the ships and started moving my warrios (sorry, I know that was a mean, lame pun but I couldn't resist) southward. The orcs promptly overran the city area, and apparently one of them happened to find the well. He started calling me chief and asking for orders, which was hilarious but not intended, I'm sure. Not sure, but same thing might happen if an enemy moves to the trapdoors. This can be fixed with a simple filter on the well moveto event, right?

This is a great campaign. One of the most fun ones I've played, in fact. Keep up the great work! :D
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The one and only warrio? :P

Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate your compliments. Alas, that stupid wishing-well macro didn't have a filter, so any side can potentially fire it. Fixed that in version 0.2, which will be uploaded to the add-ons server as soon as I can get the code for the second scenario working (very difficult).
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vix- Version 0.2 is now out.

Post by artisticdude »

I have just uploaded version 0.2. Unfortunately there are a few bugs I probably overlooked, and the 3rd scenario didn't make it in yet... coding problems I'm still ironing out. :annoyed: If there is anything I missed please point it out to me. I want to squish those bugs!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Yahoo! :D
I'll try it out and let you know if I find any bugs.
(by the way, can I point out spelling/grammar errors or does nitpicking annoy you? :mrgreen: I have an eye for stuff like that. For some reason, it always really jumps out at me. :wink: )
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Please point out any and every error you find, from a typo to an entire scenario malfunctioning. I appreciate your help. :)
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

I am giving it a try at the moment. The orc AI in first scenario is absolutely dumb, I do not know if this is intended. One thing is wrong for sure, none of the orc archers attack with his bow. All attacks contact against spearman or whatever unit. I think you need to look into what can cause such a behavior... Else, more XP for me :)

EDIT: Scenario 2, it only worked once for me to bring back meet on board, I then cleaned the map and try bringing back some more but none would be transfered to the ships anymore.
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The ai is beyond my control unfortunately, I am given no choice how it will react in various situations. I believe it automatically decides what attack is best in a given situation.

As for the 2nd scenario... yeah, very much a WIP. There are all sorts of balancing problems in there, as well as a couple unresolved WML issues. Currently a unit can only have one load of meat at a time, and if a unit already carrying some meat kills another pig, the second pig is wasted. I think what I might do in this case is to put an item on the ground signifying the pig meat, which could then be picked up later by another unit. Does that sound plausible?

BTW, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

OH I didn't you wanted them to be able to carry multiple hunks of meat. I can code it that way if you want. But it won't be until the weekend.

edit: Actually because Nexon is totally [censored] (they never ever meet their patching deadlines) and I really like this campaign here it is now. This is just modified from what I gave you back in WML workshop. You'll have to refill in the dialog, the x y coords, the meatstash's limit and the endlevel junk. And anything else you had to do to the old code (minus the bugs. I think I weeded them out this time).
Code for when a pig is killed:
Code for when they move to a ship.:
Though I'm not sure how adding 1 to a previously undefined varaible works in wesnoth. If it doesn't work as expected then give me a shout. It's getting late and I'm not particularly good at this even when it isn't late. I just brute force check and guess until something works. :lol2:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:OH I didn't you wanted them to be able to carry multiple hunks of meat.
I didn't, originally any way. :) But we could fix this problem one of two ways:

(1) When a unit who already has meat kills another pig, instead of giving the unit two loads of meat, put an item on the ground where the pig was, so that it can be picked up later by a unit with no load of meat.

(2) Give the unit the ability to carry more than one load of meat at a time.

Personally I feel the first is more realistic, but gameplay trumps realism every time. Anyone have any thoughts?

My thoughts on the 3rd scenario are as follows:

Vix and his tribe, fleeing from the storm, come across a small island with and inlet perfect for sheltering from the storm. But a fleet of pirates is also making for the island, and the inlet is guarded by a sea serpent. You must defeat all the enemies in order to win.

Not quite as non-linear as my previous ideas, but there are only so many things you can do that haven't been done before. If any one has any suggestions, please feel free to post them. :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

As far as meat gathering it doesn't matter either way. Number 1 would be slightly harder for the player I imagine (requires more men). And I already have number 2 coded if you decide on it.

Will scenario 3 be naval, land, or mixed?
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Will scenario 3 be naval, land, or mixed?
Naval. You are in command of 3 souped-up galleons (with outrageous hp and attacks to counter the larger numbers of the pirate fleet).

I guess for now let's go with the code you gave me, and see how that works out.

The third scenario should be relatively easy to code, and I should finish it this week, though I want to be able to include at least two new scenarios in 0.3.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Awww. I really wanted skelly pirates.
Can't wait to play it!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Awww. I really wanted skelly pirates.
Who's to say they won't manage to wiggle into the next scenario? :wink: