1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.1

Post by doofus-01 »

I think the issue is that the leaders don't count in the village grabbing events, and if you defeat the enemies before 7, 10 or whatever turns, the archers don't get a chance to show up. I'll make the enemies a little stronger, and I'll adjust the village grabbing dialogs so that the leaders count as well.

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Malin Keshar

Post by Malin Keshar »

At the first playable scenario (which in case you don't remember is 0_01_Abandoned.cfg) there used to be an skeleton and a revenant -or two revenants, depending on the difficulty level- guarding the level exit. But nowadays there's only one revenant, which makes a piece of cake of this particular scenario.

And that's a bug, not a feature. The latest version of the Wesnoth engine no longer allows for two or more different units to share the same id. Thus, the game silently fails to create the second revenant. I'd suggest you a possible fix: replacing the [id] tag with a [role] tag. I've tested it at home and it seems to work ok.

I'm attaching a copy of the patched file, in case you feel like making use of it.
Attachments
Abandoned.zip
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for alerting me, it'll be fixed next time. I don't know why I would have given two units the same id, it must have been an accident that just did not cause problems back when I was writing it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Malin Keshar

Post by Malin Keshar »

doofus-01 wrote:Thanks for alerting me, it'll be fixed next time. I don't know why I would have given two units the same id, it must have been an accident that just did not cause problems back when I was writing it.
You're right, in Wesnoth 1.6 duplicate id's weren't an issue, and 0_01_Abandoned.cfg wisely made use of [id] tags to check if skeletons were destroyed. Upgrading to 1.8 has caused some bugs in a number of campaigns. Thankfully, they are not so hard to workaround.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.2 has gone to the server and that skeleton thing should now be fixed*, as should the archers not showing up 'Rescue'.

* I just commented out the id of the guy near the exit. In the past, [role] and 'sighted' events seemed to give unpredictable behaviour, often failing silently, so I try to stay away from them now.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.2

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.3 went to the server. I made some updates to parts between the underground river and the snow storm scenarios of Part III. Defeat in the world map (Parts II & III) when the cavalry (or orc or whatever) reaches you should also be less clunky looking.
Seddyrocky

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.3

Post by Seddyrocky »

Hello! While tryin to finish Storming Weldyn I took a break and tried out this prequel to Trinity (kindof?:P).

Looooooved the first part. So much fun, dark gameplay, and balanced. It was sometimes a bit difficult but nothing that retrying the scenario a time or two couldn't handle. I really like your interactive map style, building/destroying bridges, filling gaps in tunnels, finding potions that may poison or strenghten you... Awesome!

Still working on the second part. I can't quite seem to make the Rescue scenario, but that's probably due to my bad strategy. Those pikemen keep on slaying everything I got, and I haven't really got a good counter for them. They outnumber my own Regulars (even when I recruit for all my 154 gold) which also don't get night/day bonus (or penalty) and the archers are too frail/few. Should I go back and try to win the previous scenario with more gold? I'm also trying to keep my loyal units alive, so it's a hassle xD
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Seddyrocky wrote:Hello! While tryin to finish Storming Weldyn I took a break and tried out this prequel to Trinity (kindof?:P).
Trinity was Part 4 of BMR, but I spun it off (and also spun off Archaic Era) because the add-on was getting too big and disorganized. Ukians faction and BMR Part 2 are the oldest things in those add-ons.
Seddyrocky wrote:Still working on the second part. I can't quite seem to make the Rescue scenario, but that's probably due to my bad strategy. Those pikemen keep on slaying everything I got, and I haven't really got a good counter for them. They outnumber my own Regulars (even when I recruit for all my 154 gold) which also don't get night/day bonus (or penalty) and the archers are too frail/few. Should I go back and try to win the previous scenario with more gold? I'm also trying to keep my loyal units alive, so it's a hassle xD
I think it helps to keep your guys bunched up and use leadership ability as you can. Every time I tried that scenario, I lost almost all of the archers, but you can recruit them later so it doesn't matter much. It might be worth picking one fight with the orcs in the world map (just wander in the snow) to level up one or two units before entering the village scenario.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.0.4 just went to the server. Biggest changes are:

- Re-worked the victory gold after the skirmishes, so it is assigned depending upon who died, instead of randomly. Experience is also handed out in a similar way.

- Added shops to the world maps
Celticsfan1138

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Post by Celticsfan1138 »

In the Scenario "Camp" for BMR, the royalists (blue) keep spawning a camp full of men every two turns, which makes it nearly impossible to fin. the scenario. This is like my 30th attempt at the same map, and the farthest i ever got was when i killed the bandits, but then he spawned a dragoon &iron mauler on top of his regular recruits. Just wondering whether thats supposed to happen
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Post by doofus-01 »

I haven't looked at 1.8 in a while, and it is a little different in the 1.9 version, so my memory of this is hazy. But I think enemy recruiting is dependent upon whether either the royals or thieves managed to get across the river, they get more resources if they cross.

It's always possible there is a bug, but it's been a while since the last update and this is the first I've heard of it. If you enable debug (type ":debug"), you can see the income and gold of the other sides in the "status table". If the income and gold doesn't account for the recruiting, or the numbers are insane, it is probably a bug. In that case I should try to do an update, so please let me know.

I think the skirmish stuff is working in the last 1.8 version, so something that might be worth doing is to use the worldmap skirmishes (wander off the path) to level up some units and get more gold, it should make the scenario easier. It shouldn't require too many skirmishes, if I recall.