1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.7/1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.9

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.0 went to the 1.8 server (1.7.8 server).
- The issue with in the post above is solved.
- I tried to make BMR smaller, so the factions have been split off into Archaic Era, which is now a dependency. As a result of the split, I can't guarantee that old saves will work. I'll try to avoid doing that again.
Orakel

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.0

Post by Orakel »

hi,
in BMR III level "all dreams die I "

round 11 raenna reached not the keep - belleros is comming to the obelisk- the game is over
but now reload the autosave round 11 and i can play again!!
at next an second belleros is comming with units and at the same time exist two belleros's!!
look at belleros1. and 2.jpg

in level " heavens gate" i played from round 11 to 18, but belleros is'nt comming back...
Attachments
HeavensGate-from11-18.jpg
Belleros2.jpg
Belleros2.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
Belleros1.jpg
Belleros1.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Orakel wrote:in level " heavens gate" i played from round 11 to 18, but belleros is'nt comming back...
He is not supposed to come back. You need to hold out a few turns, seven should be more than enough. Do you lose if the orc leader gets killed? If so, that is a bug and I would ask to see your save-game file.
Orakel wrote:round 11 raenna reached not the keep - belleros is comming to the obelisk- the game is over
but now reload the autosave round 11 and i can play again!!
at next an second belleros is comming with units and at the same time exist two belleros's!!
It hadn't occurred to me to try that, I will keep it in mind. Thanks.
EDIT: And to answer this from the other thread:
Orakel wrote:BMR III
@doofus-01
how can i slay Ares?? (all dreams die II)

in old version 1.6.2. i beat him with cristal swort
in the new version is that impossible with crystal swort!!!
The sword should do it. Nothing has changed, though some code may not work anymore and I'd need to fix it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

Hmmm... On Bad Moon Rising Part III, immediately after I beat Trouble with the Elves, I get an 'Unknown Unit Error'. I've looked into the WML, but I can't figure out what's doing it...

I'm on Wesnoth 1.7.10, for reference. Excellent job on the other 2 parts of the Campaign though. ^_^
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think I changed the Archaic Era "phantom" unit type to something like "phantom_egypt" and "phantom_wales", so now the skirmishes with phantoms are broken, and the game fails when Astreya attacks. I'll update when I can, but until then you can do two things:
1. Open the add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/utils/skirmishes.cfg, do a search for the line "value=phantom", and change that to "value=phantom_wales" (or whatever it is, check the phantom units in Archaic Era).
2. Just avoid walking on the road in the worldmap. You'll probably get sick of orcs, but at least it shouldn't have an error.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

That's the thing though. It doesn't even load the world map. Immediately upon finishing Trouble With Elves, then it starts to load up the World Map, then seizes, says 'game_error: Unknown unit type: " ' then shuts down. I don't even have the opportunity to end up in a Skirmish. XD
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Oh. Well, I didn't have that problem in 1.7.9. Could you post a save-game of the last turn?
Webster52402

Post by Webster52402 »

Sure. Had to beat it again since I moved onto another campaign and the saves bit the dust as a result, but on the plus side I beat it swiftly. XD
Attachments
BMR3-Trouble_with_Elves-Auto-Save12.gz
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

0.9.1 just went to the server. 2 changes:

- There were some bugs in the worldmap parts that did not cause the game to fail in earlier versions, but may cause BfW 1.7.10 to fail. I could not test every afflicted scenario, but I believe the bugs are all fixed and it should solve the problem posted above.

- The phantom faction in Archaic Era had been altered, this campaign should now be compatible with that.
Webster52402

Re: 1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.9.1

Post by Webster52402 »

Excellent, I didn't hit the issue again. Let's hope it stays that way throughout the campaign, hm?

Course now I just wish that cursed ghost would stop attacking me after every move I make. :lol2:
Valyn

Post by Valyn »

In BMR3 when you first get into the world map, you are able to run around and get into skirmishes, and can train your units. This makes the first number of senerios quite easy because you have a number of veterans. It also gives you a huge amount of gold because you gain gold for each turn in the world map. I had around 1400 gold and could almost have not had to play An Opportunity.

Also during Downed by the Water where you rescue Carghanna you have new units that I had not trained spawn, giving me a large amount of lvl 2 units that I did not have to initially pay for. You do this again in skirmishes after Carghanna is taken to mount tien. This seems to give the player an advantage since they do not have to recruit and train as many units then.

In Downed by the Water this is a glitch where if you move the Courrier from where he is on tile 28,30 to tile 28,25 where the Signalman spawns you lose the Courrier, the same thing happens if you move him to 27,26 where the Seeress spawns. (attached is a save file). It was also confusing when you saved Carghanna by moving a unti onto her what you needed to do next. Because she just disappeared and the objectives still said to find survivors (I knew i had explored the entire map) and the dialogue said to get her to a healer and I had moved my seeress onto her tile. If the objectives changed to say that you needed to get Belleros to the exit that would be helpful.

When escaping from Nemisis, if you get into a skirmish (I was against ghosts) then when you win, a second nemisis appears. (attached is a screenshot).

After Seeking Shelter (I assume it is not possible to escape from Nemisis) I go the same error that I got last time (after the cutscene/dialoge).

Very nice campaign though, don't quite know who to support (Kthon or Primeval) but I am looking forward to what will happen.
Attachments
Screen shot 2009-12-25 at 1.22.05 PM.png
BMR3-Downed_by_the_Wa..._Turn_15.gz
(38.81 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Valyn wrote:In BMR3 when you first get into the world map, you are able to run around and get into skirmishes, and can train your units. This makes the first number of senerios quite easy because you have a number of veterans. It also gives you a huge amount of gold because you gain gold for each turn in the world map. I had around 1400 gold and could almost have not had to play An Opportunity.
I think it should be possible for the player to build a recall list and gold stash if he/she wants to do that, but maybe the skirmishes need to get progressively more difficult within a given worldmap scenario.
Valyn wrote:In Downed by the Water this is a glitch where if you move the Courrier from where he is on tile 28,30 to tile 28,25 where the Signalman spawns you lose the Courrier, the same thing happens if you move him to 27,26 where the Seeress spawns. (attached is a save file). It was also confusing when you saved Carghanna by moving a unti onto her what you needed to do next. Because she just disappeared and the objectives still said to find survivors (I knew i had explored the entire map) and the dialogue said to get her to a healer and I had moved my seeress onto her tile. If the objectives changed to say that you needed to get Belleros to the exit that would be helpful.
Fixing that scenario will be one of the first things on my to do list. Right after this:
Valyn wrote:When escaping from Nemisis, if you get into a skirmish (I was against ghosts) then when you win, a second nemisis appears. (attached is a screenshot).

After Seeking Shelter (I assume it is not possible to escape from Nemisis) I go the same error that I got last time (after the cutscene/dialoge).
Thanks.
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

I enjoyed the prologue. Only one comment: In "Darkside", the pursuer is too strong. It is basically a matter of luck whether the green spawns kill him before you run out of space to run. Not sure what to suggest...maybe give the player a better hiding place? Or one respawning ghost?

Part 2:
1) If you reload the world map to turn 1 between Karkath and the Forest (something like that...I'm not sure what the exact trigger was), you start in Gomath again and you are encouraged to go back to Karkath (and it lets you replay the mission). Probably you need another version of the world between these scenarios.
2) I found it extremely difficult (lost all of my high-level units and barely survived by frantically running) to hold back Maskov in defend. 850 gold is a lot. Maybe tone this down a little? (Possibly I just suck, or possibly it's intended to be that hard).
3) There is no apparent way to make it to the copper mines before the calvary. Unless the drink thing stops them forever and not just for one turn as I had thought (which doesn't make much story sense, IMO, but whatever...)
4) Skirmishes on the world map are problematic. First of all, it's always your turn after them, so you basically get an extra turn of movement relative to everyone else. Secondly, they quickly become an easy experience fest. Suggestion: skirmishes scale in difficulty with each one. By 5 or 6, they should be nearly impossible.

That's all for now. Very nice campaign!
jpaulson

Post by jpaulson »

In "The Guardian" (Copper Mines), losing Maskov does not result in game over contrary to objectives.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

jpaulson wrote:Only one comment: In "Darkside", the pursuer is too strong. It is basically a matter of luck whether the green spawns kill him before you run out of space to run. Not sure what to suggest...maybe give the player a better hiding place? Or one respawning ghost?
Making the map bigger might give Scarrion more time to run.
jpaulson wrote:) If you reload the world map to turn 1 between Karkath and the Forest (something like that...I'm not sure what the exact trigger was), you start in Gomath again and you are encouraged to go back to Karkath (and it lets you replay the mission). Probably you need another version of the world between these scenarios
Someone else reported something like this, but I failed to reproduce it. I'll look at it again. If anyone reading this knows how to cause the error, please speak up.
jpaulson wrote:4) Skirmishes on the world map are problematic. First of all, it's always your turn after them, so you basically get an extra turn of movement relative to everyone else. Secondly, they quickly become an easy experience fest. Suggestion: skirmishes scale in difficulty with each one. By 5 or 6, they should be nearly impossible.
They scale as the campaign progresses, but within a given worldmap scenario makes sense. Except for the phantoms, since you can't escape those. Or... Maybe weakened units can run away. You don't have enough troops to easily box in a dying enemy, so you won't get the kill and experience as often. In any case, yes, something needs to change.
jpaulson wrote:In "The Guardian" (Copper Mines), losing Maskov does not result in game over contrary to objectives.
Will fix.

Thanks.