The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.0 on its way)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

For tr0ll's happiness :P , version 3.1.0 is now on the 1.11 add-ons server. Yes, the 1.10 series is not supported anymore.
Lost of changes, this time. Units that pick a item are now marked like in Dead Water; also, stunned units in Dragonbane are now marked with a status icon, and you can rescue a loyal Fisherman in C2. But many of the changes are WML-related, so if you find something that doesn't behave as you suppose it should, please report the bug.
Full changelog is supplied with the campaign, as usual.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

:D :D thanks! you made my weekend

update: (minor) not sure how the new add-ons code works re dependencies, but it wasnt clear that i only needed UMC Music Book 1 for this.

update2: some suggested text changes attached, mostly grammatical. the Trolls' accent isnt consistent - i am not sure if it is supposed to be that way so i left it alone.
Attachments
A7-Nemesis.cfg.diff
(3.47 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
A2-2-A_Doubtful_Alliance.cfg.diff
(800 Bytes) Downloaded 560 times
A1-Long_Way_Home.cfg.diff
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
ElvishSorcerer

Post by ElvishSorcerer »

Hello I am just posting to see if anyone ever sees anything on the last page.
The Following Statement Is True

The Previous Statement Is False
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

tr0ll wrote:update: (minor) not sure how the new add-ons code works re dependencies, but it wasnt clear that i only needed UMC Music Book 1 for this.
This because the UMC Music Book 1 is not a dependency. I'm very well aware that, for some people, downloading 6 MB of campaign can be hard, and downloading 35 MB of music may be close to impossible (yes, I'm thinking of 56k modem users).
tr0ll wrote:update2: some suggested text changes attached, mostly grammatical. the Trolls' accent isnt consistent - i am not sure if it is supposed to be that way so i left it alone.
Thank you. I'll take a look at them when I have time.
ElvishSorcerer wrote:Hello I am just posting to see if anyone ever sees anything on the last page.
The purpose of such message still beats me... :hmm:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Version 3.1.1 is on the 1.11 add-ons server. This time, most of the changes are "under the hood", so to say. The most visible of them are tr0ll's dialog corrections, the custom Troll units now use the mainline portraits, the unused dehydration code is removed and the Desert Druid that you get at the start does not have three traits anymore.
As usual, the full changelog is inside the campaign's folder.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i am glad to be able to help :)
with the UMC music, i guess i am looking for a hint on the add-on description that UMC Music Book 1 is suggested but not required, or maybe that the game will use it if present. for people with slow connections, it be nice to know that modules are used in multiple add-ons so they are worth downloading.
also, you may want to change the title of this topic, version 3.0 is more than "on its way" now ;)
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.1.1 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

tr0ll wrote:with the UMC music, i guess i am looking for a hint on the add-on description that UMC Music Book 1 is suggested but not required, or maybe that the game will use it if present. for people with slow connections, it be nice to know that modules are used in multiple add-ons so they are worth downloading.
If you mean placing a note in the .pbl file, I already did this. :) Also, if a player doesn't have it, an additional story screen notifying the missing music pack appears when starting the campaign. The only remaining place where I can put such message is the campaign selection screen.
tr0ll wrote:also, you may want to change the title of this topic, version 3.0 is more than "on its way" now ;)
Done.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (3.1.2 is out)

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Recently I received a bug report via PM from Woodruff. I'm copying the interesting part of his message here:
Woodruff wrote:In the "Shipwreck" scenario of Campaign 1, one of my trolls (not Grog, the other one, I think he's a mage) gets shipwrecked on an island with a bunch of human troops (I think they were human), and the requirement is to survive for 15 turns "while the ship is getting fixed".

Well, I was doing well until around turn 5 or 6 or something like that (fairly early) when ALL OF THE HUMAN TROOPS JUST FELL OVER DEAD. For no reason, that I can tell. It gave me a statement of something along the lines of "There is too much death and destruction" (I'm paraphrasing and guessing there).
Thas's indeed a serious bug, so I uploaded version 3.0.3 on the 1.9/1.10 add-ons server, with the appropriate bugfix. Later (maybe tomorrow) I'll upload a fixed version on the 1.11 server as well.

EDIT: Uploaded the fix on 1.11 (campaign version 3.1.2) as well.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

You've got some design flaws:
-In A1-Long_Way_Home I was first overwhelmed, but later on harvested experience for 20 turns or so, with the enemy leader being around 10 hitpoints all the time. :P The dust devil summoning comes into effect too late.
-In A2-1-Homecoming, it is very easy to completely miss the white troll, making things difficult later on.
-In A2-1-Homecoming, when going through the tunnel at 46,20 the fight becomes very hard, since otherwise the bats would almost only attack the dwarves. Contrarily, it should be much easier when coming from the north west.

Generally, I would like to see the objectives being "starting", "temporary" or "final" (as in TEG and partly in UtbS), so the player knows that he should make haste since something's yet to come. Some upfront hints about how the scenario can or should be played may be a good idea. (I mean, one can make hints obvious such as in the [objectives], or hide them somehow.)

EDIT
Using moveto events to suddenly place (enemy) units at some position is also problematic. (Also affects UtbS a lot.) A player basically needs to know or look in the code what the coordinates are. Otherwise, moving a single hex at the end of your turn can be your death. It is better to place such units from the beginning and then activate them when the player comes near.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Eros

Post by Eros »

Just thought I'd drop by to say that I've recently started playing through this again and the work you've one look great! :-)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:-In A1-Long_Way_Home I was first overwhelmed, but later on harvested experience for 20 turns or so, with the enemy leader being around 10 hitpoints all the time. :P The dust devil summoning comes into effect too late.
At a certain point we (me and Eros) tried with a bigger map, to avoid such problem. It didn't work so well, so we reverted to the old one. Maybe having Elyssa appearing from the start can be a solution.
Anonymissimus wrote:-In A2-1-Homecoming, it is very easy to completely miss the white troll, making things difficult later on.
That troll was meant as an "easter egg", so it shouldn't be necessary to complete the campaign. If you think that it's the case, I can either reduce its power (I got very little feedback on it so far...) or introduce some other bonus for the second path (but what kind of bonus? I'm undecided on this).
Anonymissimus wrote:-In A2-1-Homecoming, when going through the tunnel at 46,20 the fight becomes very hard, since otherwise the bats would almost only attack the dwarves. Contrarily, it should be much easier when coming from the north west.
Adding a secondary bat leader (not necessary another bat side) that recruits from the top may be enough? In that case, I can kill one of the two bats, depending on the player's choice.
Eros wrote:Just thought I'd drop by to say that I've recently started playing through this again and the work you've one look great! :-)
Thank you! 8)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:-In A1-Long_Way_Home I was first overwhelmed, but later on harvested experience for 20 turns or so, with the enemy leader being around 10 hitpoints all the time. :P The dust devil summoning comes into effect too late.
At a certain point we (me and Eros) tried with a bigger map, to avoid such problem. It didn't work so well, so we reverted to the old one. Maybe having Elyssa appearing from the start can be a solution.
Either that, or put the "more humans" more to the south.
And place them from the start so the player has a chance to prepare, not in a moveto. You can anyway put more dangerous units then or something.
Anonymissimus wrote:-In A2-1-Homecoming, it is very easy to completely miss the white troll, making things difficult later on.
That troll was meant as an "easter egg", so it shouldn't be necessary to complete the campaign. If you think that it's the case, I can either reduce its power (I got very little feedback on it so far...) or introduce some other bonus for the second path (but what kind of bonus? I'm undecided on this).
Well, it seems to be a problem at various situations when only the starting units are available, such as in A5-Deep_Levels. I imagine that his obscure ability is a multiplying advantage.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Anonymissimus wrote:Either that, or put the "more humans" more to the south.
And place them from the start so the player has a chance to prepare, not in a moveto. You can anyway put more dangerous units then or something.
OK.
Anonymissimus wrote:Well, it seems to be a problem at various situations when only the starting units are available, such as in A5-Deep_Levels. I imagine that his obscure ability is a multiplying advantage.
That Troll is auto-recalled only in A2-2, A5 and the final scenario. His obscuring ability behaves exactly as illuminating, just in reverse. In other words, said ability won't have much effect if it's already dark, such as in a cave (and both A2-2 and A5 are caves).
Anyway, currently I'm busy with A Rough Life, so these modifications will have to wait for a bit. Once that I finished it, I'll work again on TSoG :wink: .
Woodruff

Post by Woodruff »

Ok, I've gotten all the way to the final battle, against the dragon. I've got a large number of level 3 trolls and a good number of level 2's.

But I'm getting squashed repeatedly, not even a contest.

The mermen seem to do VERY well against the nagas but then have nothing to do because they're basically only sea-useful, the elves are almost useless other than their ability to use "slow" and the humans are basically just a distraction to pull away drakes toward them.

Any strategy hints?
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Hi there! Just downloaded TSoG. The campaign description on the add-on page is confusing: it says that there are "23 scenarios, 19 of which are playable." Does that mean that 4 are dialogue only, or that the campaign is as of yet incomplete? It made me question the 3.x.x version. Maybe this could be clarified better?

I tend to wait for campaigns to be complete before starting them, so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your time!
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!