The Sojournings of Grog (3.6.1 is out)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eros

Re: The Sojournings of Grog (1.7)

Post by Eros »

OK. due to computer errors I havent uploaded the patch yet. :(
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Eros

Post by Eros »

Hi 2.6.3 up and running. minor error.
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Eros wrote:
1. units/Runesmith.cfg was missing. I copied it from Invasion from the Unknow which worked fine.
OK. I must have written over it. Are you sure you were looking in the right place? Runesmith.cfg will be (if its anywhere) in INCLUDE/from_SoF/units. This is part of our include policy.
Hi Eros,
I also had this problem with the latest TSoG version and Wesnoth 1.7.9 aka 1.8beta2. But, in the meantime, I learned some bits of WML :wink: and I fixed the problem.
It happened because, in the _main.cfg, was written:

Code: Select all

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_THE_SOJOURNINGS_OF_GROG

[+units]
	{~data/add-ons/The_Sojournings_of_Grog/INCLUDE/from_DM/units/}
[/units]

[+units]
	{~data/add-ons/The_Sojournings_of_Grog/INCLUDE/from_Sof/units/}
[/units]
but instead it should be:

[+units]
	{~add-ons/The_Sojournings_of_Grog/INCLUDE/from_DM/units/}
[/units]

[+units]
	{~add-ons/The_Sojournings_of_Grog/INCLUDE/from_Sof/units/}
[/units]
I patched this way the _main.cfg and it seems to work, so I'm attaching the bugfix.
_main.cfg
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
Also, in the first scenario start (A1), there is a message that says: "A living legend of the with Yechnagoth; Grog is now able to 'inspire' other units to fight better in combat." Seems to me like some words are missing...
Eros wrote:(for example: we could add a scenario between S2 and B2 where Elyssa goes of to get help).
Finally, do you mind if I try (no guarantees about time required and quality, because I'm still learning WML) to create the B2 - Elyssa's quest for help and B6 - Gryphons vs. Cactose & Drake Gliders scenarios?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Eros

Post by Eros »

The scenario with the Gryphons/cactose/drake gliders is called C2. We (I) would be very happy for you to give it a go.

A few notes copied from my pile.
  • You use a recall macro like the one from the last scenario in TSoF for the gryphons
  • the scenario ought to be light relief from incessant slaughter
  • the idea was that the cactoses slow you.
  • gryphons are flying east to west cactoses in front drakes behind
  • we also want to write a krunk option (which I can give you notes on)
  • Kerth was making the graphic for the cactose but I havent heard anything. We could use his graphic and mutilate it to give extra frames if we want (or you can :) )
  • we were thinking of having the scenario map merge with "blood is thicker than water" were the mermen have set up a base
You dont have to follow any of these but the campaign is meant to be mainline quality. :)

Thankyou very much

NB: as for Elyssa wandering around We would need to discuss that a bit more.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ok Eros, I made the map for the level, and I'm attaching it. Please tell me your opinion about it. In this map, Jaash starts at 75,13, between the drakes' castles, and the mermen leader will be Esanoo.
Eros wrote:we were thinking of having the scenario map merge with "blood is thicker than water" were the mermen have set up a base
My map is just... a bit south. :)
Eros wrote:Kerth was making the graphic for the cactose but I havent heard anything. We could use his graphic and mutilate it to give extra frames if we want (or you can :) )
I'm not too worried. If you want, you can try sending a PM to Kerth, but bear in mind that there are some mainline units that have only the baseframe (almost all Mermen and L3 Ghosts).
Finally, in The Deep Levels, Rock Golems can be poisoned by Nagas: is it a good idea to give them the Mechanical trait?
Attachments
Desert Map TSOG.map
(30.27 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Kerth

Post by Kerth »

Sorry, I've been terribly busy. Feel free to do what you want with the sprite. I'll get to it when I have the time.
Eros

Post by Eros »

Hi Elvish_Hunter (more computer errors :evil: )

I cant view the map at moment so I will trust you. (Just think would it look strange in RoW!)
The mermen have set up a trading station (low key) with the friendly humans.

about nagas poisoning rockgolems thats not a problem as the scenario map makes it almost impossible for them to get there. (I think that I coded it to kill them when you get there anyway).

I am extremely busy at the moment so i cant watch what is going on so I will PM you the server file (when I work out how)

With Marz leaving I think the Credits ought to be as follows
  • Peter Christopher (Eros)
    Campaign Design/Original Developer
  • ? ? (Elvish_Hunter)
    C1 + Campaign Maintainer (If you are up to the challenge)
  • Thomas Hockings (Marz/Deusite)
    parts of A2/A3/A4/B2 + general uber-ness
  • ? ? (Kerth)
    Cactose Graphic
  • UMC campaigns
    miscellanious code/graphics
  • EDIT: Wesnoth Forums
    Debug
I think we can use the cactose as it is though it will breach our mainline standard policy. (The frame we have is very good. Beyond my highest expectations)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Eros wrote:I cant view the map at moment so I will trust you.
I forgot to say that I drew the map in Wesnoth 1.8 beta series... :oops:
Eros wrote:I am extremely busy at the moment so i cant watch what is going on so I will PM you the server file
* ? ? (Elvish_Hunter)
Thanks, Eros! I'm also terribly busy these days. I don't think that I'll have the time for maintaining a campaign :( . But, despite this, I almost finished the scenario. When I have done it, I'll post it here packaged as a mini-campaign, so we will be able to test and tune it without creating any problem to the main campaign. OK?
Eros

Post by Eros »

Yes
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ok Eros, I made the scenario. As promised, I'm attaching it as a mini-campaign (for the 1.8 beta series). Some "release notes":
- With great fantasy, I called the mini campaign TSOG_Test...
- I included a music track, Doug Kaufman's Wesnoth Score. It was already used in Sceptre of Life, so it's already GPL and I suppose that there isn't any problem in using it.
- I was able to win the scenario in about 10/11 turns, but only by losing all gryphons except Jaash...
- Drakes and Cactose are enemies. This because Cactose consider as invader everyone that crosses their desert, be it a gryphon, a drake or whatever.
- If you want to make the scenario easier, you can give Jaash 1 more MP - I tested it also in this way. Or maybe decrease Cactose movement to 4 MP.
- Feel free to modify it as you want (dialogues especially, balancing, map, bugfix...). After you've finished, it can be included as C1. I hope that you'll like it...
Eros wrote:(more computer errors :evil: )
... and that you'll have no more computer errors :)
Attachments
TSOG_Test.zip
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 528 times
Kerth

Post by Kerth »

I'm starting to attempt animations now... hopefully I'll have at least one done soon!
Eros

Post by Eros »

Dear Elvish_Hunter et al.

I think that I am to busy to keep track of wesnoth now. I am going to abandon the campaign. Anyone who wants to keep it up (and isnt going to ruin it :) ) may take it up. preference obviously goes to Elvish_Hunter.

PS. I think that it is pretty much done anyway
macherb

Post by macherb »

Hi,

sorry to say, another campaign to put aside. Its fun to play part 1, but in part 2 the scenarios B1 and B2 are kind of stupid.
B1 is not really a problem to survive until the escape points are shown. I did it up to turn 70. But can I cain for surviving so long? I coukd not get the point. And the "trick" with the gryphons - I tried it, but they are to slow anyway and then there is no gold for the defendin whelps.
B2, as mentioned before, is just fighting with a few level 3 trolls against myriades of orcs. And this with a hit propability of 40% vs. 60%. I can stand up to turn 8 or 9 at best.

It's a pitty

P.S. wesnoth 1.6.5, Sojournings 2.4.1
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Eros wrote:Dear Elvish_Hunter et al.

I think that I am to busy to keep track of wesnoth now. I am going to abandon the campaign.
:cry:
Eros wrote:Anyone who wants to keep it up (and isnt going to ruin it :) ) may take it up. preference obviously goes to Elvish_Hunter.
Unfortunately, I haven't much spare time to maintain a campaign and my WML should be improved. After all, in some scenarios you wrote:

# This scenario has been heavily modified.
# DO NOT MODIFY unless you FULLY understand the code.
# everything done here is DELIBERATE.
I want to fully understand the code before officially taking a campaign.
Eros wrote:? ? (Elvish_Hunter)
As I said, I'm not yet up to the challenge, sorry. :(
Eros

Post by Eros »

OK. Everything works (I think) :?

I shall just leave it on the forums until I get a volunteer.