The Cats Paw

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Insinuator

The Cats Paw

Post by Insinuator »

Hello. This is a campaign made by my brother (AKA Voidsword), a competent Wesnoth player with a quirky sense of humor. It chronicles the rather random adventures of a unit of troops deserting the Wesnothian army during Ashviere's reign. I don't believe it makes any significant changes to HTTT's plot line, though. He would appreciate any feedback. Hope you enjoy it.
Last edited by Insinuator on July 25th, 2010, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
placeholder

Re: The Cats Paw

Post by placeholder »

Hi,
nice story, but... for which version of Wesnoth the campaign was designed?
It won't load in 1.7, and gives me an error message in 1.6 of an missing closing tag (see attached picture), which then freezes the wesnoth forcing to quit. The next time in 1.6 it tries to load and than gives me a unknown scenario error for "01_The_First_Part".

Hope you can get it fixed.
Regards
Attachments
Immagine 1.png
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

placeholder wrote:for which version of Wesnoth the campaign was designed?
It seems for 1.4.x.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Yes, it was designed and tested for version 1.4 of BfW. He is working on upgrading it to 1.7, but it may take a little time. Many of the macros he used seemed to have been changed in later versions.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've played The Cats Paw, but there is a bug in the scenario : And Die Trying. I have only 3 units at the begginning of the scenario (a dragoon, a mage and the fire dragon), the leader is not present, neither the other main characters.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I fixed this bug. The level should be playable again.

Also, this scenario will work with the latest versions of Wesnoth. Unless we find another bug.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The campaign needs 1.8-style story art
The current ones should belong to 1.2 or lower
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Perhaps, but art doesn't grow on trees. Snobbery might.

The plot is supposed to be the defining characteristic of this campaign, and the artwork is the best my brother can do. If someone would like to volunteer their skills, let me know.
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've finished the campaign. I've noted some things :
- In Enlightenment, there's messages about lua code ignored that shows up when you play. The objectives are also not very clear.
- In Going Home, is it normal that Doroty and the other resurrected retain the undead trait ?
- In Overthrowing the Overlord, you can recruit mages. I don't know if one should be able or not to recruit in the scenario, but you cannot recall.

About the art issue, you may steal / modify some portraits from other campaigns if you cannot do better art.
Voidsword

Post by Voidsword »

First off, everyone criticizing my art should try making a portrait sometime. I have only Microsoft Paint, limited internet access, and do not enjoy the luxuries of a scanner, or else I would've drawn them on paper and showed you all how stupid you sound. Anyways, another version should be released soon that fixes some of the afore-mentioned bugs. In "Going Home", yes it is intended that your heroes retain the Undead trait, in fact if you examine the code I specifically modify them so that they do. It was intended as a catalyst for the sequel, which is still under construction and de-bugging.
Stop modifying the Fire Dragon graphic.
Seriously. We like consistency. And attack animations.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I would suggest porting it all the way over to 1.8 (with the handy dandy wmllint tool). 1.4 is waaaaaay obsolete now, and only SOME developers, porters, or people who just don't want to change use it. The vast majority uses 1.8. Once it is at 1.8, it will a lot more simpler to move it to 1.9 later.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

It will run on 1.8.
Voidsword

Post by Voidsword »

Version 1.2 has now been released, workable on Wesnoth 1.9.5 at earliest, and scanned graphics were included, per user complaints
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, I've got an invalid key code, when I try to begin, on 1.9.12.
Voidsword

Post by Voidsword »

While I'm not sure what you mean by "keycode", I re-released it with some tinkering. Hopefully it will now work.