1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.10 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by SkyOne »

rmj wrote:Just downloaded from the 1.10 server and got the following errors:

20120429 21:08:37 error general: The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
Macro/file 'FOAP_ADVANCEMENT_CAVALRYMAN' is missing at ~add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/scenarios/01_Time_to_Leave.cfg:563 included from ~add-ons/Fate_of_a_Princess/_main.cfg:159

Likewise for FOAP_ADVANCEMENT_SKIRMISHER
Likewise for FOAP_ADVANCEMENT_FIGHTER
Likewise for FOAP_ADVANCEMENT_SCOUT

In this thread you talk of version 9.8, but this download says it is 8.8.
It sounds like you downloaded it from 1.8 server, then run it on BfW 1.10.x because:
- The newest version of this campaign is 0.9.14 for BfW 1.10.x
- Version 0.8.8 is the last version that was updated on BfW 1.8 server.
- Version 0.9.8 went to the server on Feb.4th, 2012 for BfW 1.10.x, and it was replaced to version 0.9.9 in five days after.
- I have probably used the macro you mentioned in the past, but no longer in the files.

EDIT:
Okay, I have just run FoaP version 0.8.8 (for BfW 1.8 ) on BfW 1.10.2, then I got exactly the same error message. On 1.8, we can leave unused macro-codes, that are not defined, on scenario files without an error message, but not on 1.10.
So downloading the correct version will solve the problem.:)
-------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
plans for the next version:
- Rogue Mage, Shadow Mage, and Shadow Lord of a mainline campaign, Liberty, will be updated.
- the unit images of Drake Lord will be polished slightly.
- a bug on 22b_The_Battle_at_Prestim scenario due to show a dialogue correctly will be fixed.
- a dialogue due to be reasonable on 17_Mountain_Path scenario will be edited.
- a description on 13_Over_the_River scenario will be changed from ex-Supporters to current Followers.

Thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,
Version 0.9.15 is on the server.

The changes have already been listed on my previous post, but at this time, by the effort of a precious user, pyrophorus, who is the creator of Return to Noelren, French translation has been installed on this edition. Merci beaucoup, pyrophorus. I (I guess "we") really appreciate it. ^_^

Italian and Japanese translations have also been updated.
Italian translation has been improved a lot by mich while the unit descriptions have not been translated in Japanese yet.

Thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
rmj

Post by rmj »

Some comments:

Scenario 1--Time to Leave: On easy, it is too easy. Normal, too difficult. I think there is too much going on with regards to the player's units for an opening scenario. There is no way to tell who would be best to grab the armor. Is the mage that comes out of the village expendable, or is it essential to advance her? Does one need to do something to help the main mage create his special weapon (no)? What are the strength and weaknesses of those dark sorcerers? Six different horse riding units.
The name Baldres is too close to the name Baldras of the mainline Liberty. Combined with an image that is from that campaign leads one to expect that this campaign has something to do with that campaign.

Scenario 3--Northern Ways: It is important that Baldras reach the fortress as quickly as possible, but even a single step not toward the keep delays him reaching it one turn which allows the enemy to take up strong forest hexes next to the fortress. I suggest turning off the fog so one can better prepare attack and defense, instead of merely reacting to visible threats. Or if you really like having fog, then perhaps positioning Baldres a couple hexes closer to the fortress; although one can see the fortress through the fog, one cannot tell if it contains the enemy.

Later scenarios are set in the town of Dorest. In the mainline Son of the Black Eye this town in Dorset.

Scenario 8--Battle of Dorest: So much waiting as units move for what should be just a dialog-only scenario.

Up through Scenario 8, I didn't really care for the campaign. Too many long range enemies picking off valuable units that are difficult to move to safety. And too many surprise attacks. But starting with scenario 9, the campaign becomes fun.

Scenario 13--Over the river: No need to mention changes of resistance and movement for Hacwyn; he looks different so he should act differently.

Scenario --In the swamps: Objective says to kill orcish mage, it is an orcish witch doctor. Why not just make the objective to kill both orcish leaders.

The story is quite good, and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes.
rmj
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you for the feedback, rmj.
But sorry for delaying to reply.
rmj wrote:There is no way to tell who would be best to grab the armor. Is the mage that comes out of the village expendable, or is it essential to advance her? Does one need to do something to help the main mage create his special weapon (no)? What are the strength and weaknesses of those dark sorcerers? Six different horse riding units.
Although this is really up to each player, and the campaign is not a novice level, we may install a few guide for it, because it is on the map at the beginning.
Thanks.:)
rmj wrote:The name Baldres is too close to the name Baldras of the mainline Liberty. Combined with an image that is from that campaign leads one to expect that this campaign has something to do with that campaign.
Of course, we discussed this matter before publishing it. There were like five different names on the list at the time. Somehow, we decided to go with Baldres. But if some other users will complain about it, sure, we will change his name. I don't think the name makes players expect the relation with Liberty, though.
rmj wrote:Scenario 3--Northern Ways: It is important that Baldras reach the fortress as quickly as possible, but even a single step not toward the keep delays him reaching it one turn which allows the enemy to take up strong forest hexes next to the fortress. I suggest turning off the fog so one can better prepare attack and defense, instead of merely reacting to visible threats. Or if you really like having fog, then perhaps positioning Baldres a couple hexes closer to the fortress; although one can see the fortress through the fog, one cannot tell if it contains the enemy.

The difficulty of this scenario had been reported by several users, then touched it up already.
But sure. We will think about it.:)
rmj wrote:Later scenarios are set in the town of Dorest. In the mainline Son of the Black Eye this town in Dorset.
There is a county in England, named Dorset. Its image doesn't fit as an orcish city. So we decided to modify it to Dorest.
This is the thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25996
rmj wrote:Scenario 8--Battle of Dorest: So much waiting as units move for what should be just a dialog-only scenario.
Then Gulcyn the Wizard will appear on the dialog only again?
Sorry, we cannot go back. But polishing it up is possible, so we may.
rmj wrote:Up through Scenario 8, I didn't really care for the campaign. Too many long range enemies picking off valuable units that are difficult to move to safety. And too many surprise attacks. But starting with scenario 9, the campaign becomes fun.
Obviously, you prefer the part two much more than the part one.
It is absolutely fine.:) (some players are like you, and some are the opposite.)

Thank you for playing and the feedback, rmj.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of it.

=================================================

FoaP version 0.9.16 is on the server on Aug.15th.

All changes are minor slight touches on:
- 05b Mysterious Cave
- 08 Battle of Dorest
- 09 Common Enemy
- 10 Childhood
- 14 In the Swamps
- 15 Dwarvish Warden
- 17 Mountain Path
- 25 Fate of a Princess

Thanks
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,
there had been a couple of bugs that I found after the release of the last version, 0.9.16.
One was that Baldres' portrait covered (blocked) a few part of dialogues on the full screen mode (fine on the regular screen mode). It is still not perfect yet, but at least, the dialogues are readable now by editing the portrait.
Another was XP of Ameck and Eämeral. They were not supposed to be 150 as level=4 units, so fixed it.

As many players know, scenario 7, Forbidden Ambition, through scenario 10, Childhood, has been added later to fill up the transition in between part-1 and 2. Before installing the part into FoaP, we put those scenarios in an independent campaign for their testings and the development, therefore, the balance of those scenarios, especially 7 Forbidden Ambition, had been a bit easier than the rest of the others. I think that those are fine on the version 0.9.17 that has just gone to the server... Well, I actually will appreciate if somebody tells us about how they are balanced now although I have tested on the normal difficulty.

Some other tiny touches are also included on this update.
-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Version 0.9.18 has been on the server (1.10) since Sep 7th.
Some magenta parts on the units had not been the team color. Hopefully, fixed them all on this version...

The units which got fixed:
Drakes: - all on this campaign
Elves: - Child Sorceress, Lieutenant, Noble Avenger, Recruit, Royal Sorceress
Humans: - Black Knight, Follower, Mage Dragoon, Mage Rider, Rogue Knight, Rogue Mage, Shadow Lord, Shadow Mage
Monsters: - Wild Horse, Royal Pony
Southern Orcs: - all, except Southern Goblin and Berserker

Other changes:
- a couple of Watchtowers with an ability, throwing bombs, has been added for Baldres' force on scenario 8 The Battle of Dorest
- the same ability as the Watchtower above has been added to the Cannon unit on scenario 6 Capturing Dorest
- So narrator's speech has been added to guide it on scenario 6 Capturing Dorest
- The melee attack animations have been added to the Rogue Mage line
- French translation has been updated by pyrophorus

Thanks
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Forbidden Ambition
Ishlars says: "Halls of the dead" maybe its just a figure of speech but I would have thought that an advanced mage like him would know of the existence of the "Lands of the Dead" that Delfador travels though in DM.
There was an image not found overlain over the Jil/Black Knight sprite

Capturing Dorest
"Use before turn 7 is suitable" isn't very clear English. I'm not absolutely certain what you are meaning here.
Spoiler:
The starting time (??) and the size of the maps means that you have to cede control of nearly the entire map for the first night. Though I had captured some villages with cavalry then retreated I still went massively negative in gold, -100 or so. I was playing on easy and thought 45 turns was far too much. I finished 12/45 using a sneak paladin+Jil with magic sword assassination.
Also; tents in a city?

Thoughout
My suggestion to improve the looks of the campaign would be to customise the flags. e.g. ragged for ogres and orcs, loyalist for Wesnoth troops at the beginning, long or wood elf for the elves and so on.
It would be nice if the the dot trail on the map, persisted after previous stages of the journey have been completed.

Nice campaign. Thanks.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Ooh, Neilarmius. Thank you so much.
Neilarmius wrote: Forbidden Ambition
Ishlars says: "Halls of the dead" maybe its just a figure of speech but I would have thought that an advanced mage like him would know of the existence of the "Lands of the Dead" that Delfador travels though in DM.
Aa... Ishlars is actually a kind of like a second class mage although he doesn’t think so himself, so it may be okay, I think. No?
My original words at the part were: - “Otherwise, see you in the hell!”
Then the co-author, Simons Mith, rewrote it nicely.
Neilarmius wrote:There was an image not found overlain over the Jil/Black Knight sprite
Eh? That sounds not good. Could you tell me in detail? What is she missing? The Leader i-con? weapon overlay? Maybe, she took the Greenwood Blade on the early scenario?
Neilarmius wrote:Capturing Dorest
"Use before turn 7 is suitable" isn't very clear English. I'm not absolutely certain what you are meaning here.
Spoiler:
I have been worried about the part because I added it recently just by myself. I mean that English is mine. By reading the spoiler, it seems okay, though, doesn’t it?
Neilarmius wrote:The starting time (??) and the size of the maps means that you have to cede control of nearly the entire map for the first night. Though I had captured some villages with cavalry then retreated I still went massively negative in gold, -100 or so. I was playing on easy and thought 45 turns was far too much. I finished 12/45 using a sneak paladin+Jil with magic sword assassination.
I think Cannon’s bombs made the scenario of the easy difficulty a bit too easy. In some ago, somebody reported that the scenario was too difficult, so I added it.
Let me refer on the easy difficulty that I have not run a while.
Neilarmius wrote:Also; tents in a city?
A good point.
I took the map-looking, instead of the reasonable matter, on that map when I built it on BfW 1.5 or 1.6. Now we have had more variations of villages on the sand terrains in the map editor. So the tents should be replaced to them. Thank you for the effective comment.:)
Neilarmius wrote:Thoughout
My suggestion to improve the looks of the campaign would be to customise the flags. e.g. ragged for ogres and orcs, loyalist for Wesnoth troops at the beginning, long or wood elf for the elves and so on.
It would be nice if the the dot trail on the map, persisted after previous stages of the journey have been completed.
Sounds good even I am not sure you are talking about custom flags on the villages (like The South Guard) or on the unit images (or both, maybe). Or maybe adding something like this? (this is from my naga campaign for turtle and crab like monster’s one):
rotm-flag.png
rotm-flag.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 6535 times
Either one will make the maps look better, anyway. So I start thinking their designs. But I know your art-skill, including the designs, because of the Thunderthrow on BW (thank you :wink: ). So if you have any ideas, I am happy to hear or to take a look yours.:)

Thank you again, Neilarmius.
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Skyone wrote:
Neilarmius wrote: Forbidden Ambition
Aa... Ishlars is actually a kind of like a second class mage although he doesn’t think so himself, so it may be okay, I think. No?
I got the impression he was advanced due to his visual similarity to a great mage. It's up to you and/or Simons Mith of course but I think that it would sort of set the campaign more in the wesnoth universe if he refers to something known to exist in the mainline campaigns.
Skyone wrote:
Neilarmius wrote: There was an image not found overlain over the Jil/Black Knight sprite
Eh? That sounds not good. Could you tell me in detail? What is she missing? The Leader i-con? weapon overlay? Maybe, she took the Greenwood Blade on the early scenario?
I had given her the greenwood blade earlier, but in the particular scenario it began to occur she no longer had that attack. I assumed that this was because Baldres had it hanging over his mantlepiece as mentioned earlier. This may be useful:
greenwood-sword-icon.png
greenwood-sword-icon.png (352 Bytes) Viewed 6520 times
Re: Difficulty in Capturing Dorest. As the attacking team it seemed a bad strategy to attack at the time of day that results in the forces meeting one another at the worst time of day (night). I had an easy time of it as I didn't attack for quite a lot of turns whilst waiting for dawn. This also stretched out their forces meaning i could kill them a couple of units at a time as they gradually arrived. I think it could be easy to play badly by simply charging across the map. I liked the battle, just bring down the turn limit to 18 or 20.
Also, the saurian spam was a a little annoying. Give them lower gold to begin with but a base income of 10 so they can still recruit a little once the player has stolen their villages. I would go for:

Code: Select all

id=Xizzyx
name= _ "Xizzyx"
profile="portraits/saurians/transparent/skirmisher.png"
color=blue
{GOLD 180 160 150}
{INCOME 20 10 7}
Re: flags. What I am suggesting is you use examples like {FLAG_VARIANT undead},{FLAG_VARIANT ragged},{FLAG_VARIANT loyalist}, {FLAG_VARIANT knalgan},{FLAG_VARIANT long},{FLAG_VARIANT wood-elvish}, in each side tag as appropriate. Custom flags are cool though. You need the special shades of green on that flag you attached for team colour as far as I am aware. You could also consider these few flags I cooked up but never animated.
wose-flag-icon.png
wose-flag-icon.png (850 Bytes) Viewed 6520 times
wose-flag-1.png
wose-flag-1.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
saurian-flag-1.png
saurian-flag-1.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
saurian-flag-icon.png
saurian-flag-icon.png (976 Bytes) Viewed 6520 times
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Neilarmius wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Aa... Ishlars is actually a kind of like a second class mage although he doesn’t think so himself, so it may be okay, I think. No?
I got the impression he was advanced due to his visual similarity to a great mage. It's up to you and/or Simons Mith of course but I think that it would sort of set the campaign more in the wesnoth universe if he refers to something known to exist in the mainline campaigns.
Okay, I will discuss with Simons Mith when he returns. It seems he is taking a vacation from BfW a while.
Neilarmius wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Eh? That sounds not good. Could you tell me in detail? What is she missing? The Leader i-con? weapon overlay? Maybe, she took the Greenwood Blade on the early scenario?
I had given her the greenwood blade earlier, but in the particular scenario it began to occur she no longer had that attack. I assumed that this was because Baldres had it hanging over his mantlepiece as mentioned earlier.
Ah, okay (whew..). You are right.
Because the sword is going to appear again in the later scenario of part-two, the sword-picker cannot die (so he/she turns to a Hero on the third scenario if he/she is not one of Baldres, Ishlars, and Jil). However, all of those heros die in part-one, so I and mich decided to keep the sword in the city, and coded it (mostly by mich).

Where the sword (Greenwood Blade) goes in the most of cases:
1) belongs to Lord Zluld of the Greenwood
2) the unicorn steals it (because of his jealous), then throw it out into the river
3) Baldres finds and takes it, then carries it to Dorest
4) back to Zluld by Dessen through Elen-Garil
5) heir to his daughter, Zylvia
Neilarmius wrote:This may be useful:
Ooh! This looks cool, and designed exactly from its attack i-con that I drew. Thank you.:)
Let me refer and try something more because this one will probably be over the armor overlay if the picker is the same unit, and what I have to add first is poison overlay (or poisoned knife overlay) in part one. I think three overlays on a unit are a bit too much. As I mentioned above, the sword-picker becomes a hero. I mean the unit gets the hero i-con if he/she is not Baldres, Ishlars, or Jil. So it is a kind of proofs that the unit is having the sword.

Anyway, I will try to find out how to add it smoothly.
Neilarmius wrote:Re: Difficulty in Capturing Dorest. As the attacking team it seemed a bad strategy to attack at the time of day that results in the forces meeting one another at the worst time of day (night). I had an easy time of it as I didn't attack for quite a lot of turns whilst waiting for dawn. This also stretched out their forces meaning i could kill them a couple of units at a time as they gradually arrived. I think it could be easy to play badly by simply charging across the map. I liked the battle, just bring down the turn limit to 18 or 20.
Also, the saurian spam was a a little annoying. Give them lower gold to begin with but a base income of 10 so they can still recruit a little once the player has stolen their villages. I would go for:

Code: Select all

id=Xizzyx
name= _ "Xizzyx"
profile="portraits/saurians/transparent/skirmisher.png"
color=blue
{GOLD 180 160 150}
{INCOME 20 10 7}
Yeah, I know what you mean. The saurians are little bit too much recently on the scenario. The scenario suddenly becomes easy after they appear. I should probably rebalance it, including to test your numbers of incomes and golds. I have to edit the map, anyway, for the scenario. Thank you.:)

Re: flags.
Thank you. :D
Those saurian (and wose) flags look good, and saurians=<green color> is reasonable. But let me try to test them because (I think) flag-color should be the team color, and saurian force in this campaign are always allied armies that is blue on it. The green team color (purple, too) is for general enemies, and teal is for northern Greenwood elves in this campaign. So I might paint it as the magenta. Also, flags on villages are always animated on BfW, so I might try it to be animated. But actually, animating it is slightly tough in that design IMO, isn't it?

Anyway, I really appreciate your corporation.:)
It's been a while, but this campaign still has some spaces to improve.
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Continued playing...

General
Black background for portrait in help of Drake lord is too large.

Description of unit Elvish Commandant "...but events soon conspired to expand his duties and responsibilities, and the consequences of failure." This doesnt read very well. I would just write "...but events soon conspired to expand his duties and responsibilities."

"He is already showing signs of skill in combat, and its very unlikely the Queen will deny his promotion to full captain". There shouldn't be a comma (,) in this sentence. It would be nice to hear more about whatever a orichalcum foil is. Is this a type of metal that doesn't harm faerie/elves? He is promoted in the game to a [b}colonel[/b].

Description of Elvish Colonel
"He also carries the beautiful white-golden talisman of Queen Eämeral, which grants him a powerful magical". I think this should be just "..white-gold talisman...".

A Man and An Elf
If, like me, you feel that this campaign is too long then I would consider this scenario for deletion.
Spoiler:
Traveling North
You can't hold a sword with hooves. When Baldres asks "The sword was unguarded, and I am interested in exotic weapons. Tell me, pray: why do you think your claim to it is stronger than ours?" Takel does not explain Which me left me a bit thinking it was just an excuse for fight. There is the bit about Celade at the end but perhaps Takel could say "(<i>Snort!</i>) Might is on my side! For Celade!".

The Common Enemy
Hint: Blocking elves to across the river." If this is an instruction then I think you mean: "Block the elves coming across the river". Either way this isn't any extra help as the depth of the stream disallows you from doing anything but attacking across/at the bridge. Why is the stream deep when previously it was shallow?

Childhood
Alingwen's lightening attack against the assassin appeared to hit Toffee the royal pony. You may want it a couple of hexes upwards.

It seemed odd to me that there were a couple of unicorns on the side of the greenwood elves? One minute the leader of unicorns is stealing swords from them, another day they fight side by side with no explanation.

Because the description of the ponies says that the princesses would be heartbroken I was expecting the death of a pony to apply trait 'heartbroken' (-10% cold and arcane to one of the princesses?? ), but no nothing not even a word from either of them.

A good level, nice having the clearing for strategic reasons and the challenge of gobo spearmen v horses.

Broken Treaty
Muruatumbië wasn't loyal or have the loyal overlay which he had previously

Wouldn't it be worth mentioning that Zylvia is Zluld's daughter here. Perhaps the wose could say: "Go, son of Elen-Garil and daughter of Zluld. I will keep watch here."

Queen Eameral
It will be an earnest of the seriousness of or request. add "request to her" As far as I am aware earnest is an abstract noun therefore an earnest isn't correct. Do you mean "an earnest payment"?

The Queen should mention that the talisman she gives to Halwcyn gives a ranged fire attack. It's an important detail.

Why does Alingwen need a talisman from her mother? She already has a ranged fire lightening attack
Spoiler:

Over the river
"As soon as the conference was over, Háwclyn and Zylvia immediately prepared to depart. Háwclyn equipped himself with the enchanted armor and elven boots he had inherited from his father."

Enchanted armor? I thought he had an enchanted sword and his dad's old boots not armor . I think "..the elven boots would be better". I think this is correct grammar is the object (boots) is already known to exist.

I don't think the game automatically recalled the 2 best choices of units from the previous Broken Treaty scenario.

Merllow:"It’s a rogue half-elven wizard called Gulder. He was using the powers of Domination that Gulcyn used to..." Domination shouldn't have a capital letter.

If you wanted to increase the easiness of this level try adding more crossing points or widening the shallow water. The orcs were sensibly camping on the other side of the bridge creating a serious chokepoint. Is the bridge meant to be broken on the orc side?

In parts of Britain "Scally", the name of the bandit, is an insulting term for young working class people. You might like to change it.

The wolves ran north immediately into the shroud. I never had to fight them as presumably they killed themselves against the orcs.

Dwarvish Warden
Bring down the base income for the dwarf warden. I like to be able to control the amount of allied troops on the battlefield by either stealing their villages or not. I had stolen them all but they kept recruiting. The scrum around Tuweng the orc at the end was six units deep!
Spoiler:
Hydra Cavern
If the dwarf had mentioned the chaos rune could only apply to just trolls and drakes when he had first seen it and he was saying his part then that would help. I wasted at about ten turns getting Halwcyn back to the troll's keep just to recruit a drake and then back out the exit in the north. Drakes do not make much sense in the scenario (weak ranged, lawful, slow moving).

Loved the bit about the origin of Shoko's name.

Here is are two options for an overlay for use of the chaos rune. Up to you.
chaos-rune-1-icon.png
chaos-rune-1-icon.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
chaos-rune-2-icon.png
chaos-rune-2-icon.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
Eisheim
Spoiler:
I was having such a hard time wth the enemies right by my keep I never got to explore the map which I would have liked to.
Spoiler:
Ice Monsters
Ameck:"They just want to be left alone. As long as we do not disturb them and their villages, they will not harm us." The yetis were so effective, fast and powerful I struggled to keep up. Decrease their number so that the player can have an useful supporting role e.g. healing the yetis and stealing kills for the snow shamans. When the ally can win the scenario on its own I consider the scenario severely unbalanced.

Coalition of Orcs
Falci-Nyess's hall is a simple wooden palisade and encampment. You would expect a lord to have a fancy castle. You might to like to use these snowy drake villages I have edited. I'm halfway through a drake architechture style building similar to the temple Vladnir lives. You could use it for Vladnir and Falci-Ness.
drake-snow1.png
drake-snow1.png (11.89 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
drake-snow5.png
drake-snow5.png (8.43 KiB) Viewed 6492 times
drake-snow-village.zip
All variations less the fire flickering ones.
(46.02 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Flags
I don't think you are fully understanding me. The particular shades of green in the above flag sprites is altered by the game engine to the correct team color, green,blue purple, whatever. Magenta is used for units. Green for flags. Not sure why. Going to Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.0\images\flags will show you. Yes, animation is difficult. If your keen to include it I will give it a go. Good to hear there is a rationale for the team colours.

I'm up to Zluld's last stand. I am going to give it a break. This campaign is so long. Thanks for developing this great campaign and considering my opinions and input.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

"He is already showing signs of skill in combat, and its very unlikely the Queen will deny his promotion to full captain". There shouldn't be a comma (,) in this sentence.
Contrary, it seems, to popular belief, it is perfectly legitimate to put a comma after "and". The main problem in this sentence is the missing apostrophe in "its" as in this sentence "it's" is short for it is rather than indicating possession.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Dorest / Dorset: While the change is completely clear, the name is Dorset in all other campaigns (other than yours) that use this map. It would be nice if this were streamlined.

Difficulty: It might be too easy on easy I don't know, but please keep in mind the difficulty on hard when reducing the strength of allies, turn limits etc. E.g. in Capturing Dorest enemies have a large base income per turn, and it does take time to approach when the enemies are spawning x new units per turn (I was definitely in the 30s when I finished, if I recall correctly now). Anyway, after Capturing Dorest the first part is basically over, so carryover should be no issue. The steady base income of the allies is one of the good things about this campaign - and least on hard it makes your allies useful while not overwhelming - but maybe {INCOME 60 40 20} just scales badly and 40, 30, 20 or even 30, 25, 20 would do just fine. But don't reduce it on hard, it was hard enough to keep them alive as is (and I had in fact to position units to lure away enemies or to be sacrificed to do it). In other words, if it is too easy on easy, it isn't necessarily too easy on hard, it just scales badly. If you balance on one difficulty it says nothing about the others (the same scenario might be too easy on easy and too hard on hard), so please don't make uniform changes after a comment on one difficulty. Please take a look at the opponents base income on hard for Capturing Dorest to appreciate why 20 turns or 7 base income for the ally will make this ridiculously hard. The same applies for other AI allies, that they had significant base income was sth. I did like very much throughout the campaign - it might be too much on lower difficulties, but it wasn't on hard when I played (though I wonder whether it was really 20 when I played CD).

Hydra Cavern: While I never found the rune (and the crystal bow and the dwarf), I wouldn't have had a drake to switch as well (and negative income). Actually I believe this rune encourages bad play, but I couldn't convince skyone.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, Neilarmius.
I am going to omit replying the dialogue-parts and description-parts because I cannot edit Simons Mith's English. I mean that my English ability is not good enough to edit his. And he usually rewrites the whole sentence or the paragraph, instead of editing just a word. Probably, because of balancing issue. Additionally, editing dialogue one by one annoys translators. We should change them at once when they are ready.
Neilarmius wrote:General
Black background for portrait in help of Drake lord is too large.
Aah, that is right, so is Hawclyn and Zylvia, I think. I forgot fixing portraits in the unit profiles. Actually, I really want to edit Drake lord's one, but I cannot edit it as well so far....
This rough draft one may be replaced for Zylvia if I can polish it up as well. Could you (or anyone) tell me which one is better, the current one or this one. Well, either ones are slight touches from the default elves, anyway:
Spoiler:
Neilarmius wrote:A Man and An Elf
If, like me, you feel that this campaign is too long then I would consider this scenario for deletion.
Spoiler:
Yeah, it is possible, but need to be adjusted some in the story. In the older versions of this campaign, Gulcyn the Wizard only appeared in the dialogue, so this scenario was really necessary to let players know who he was.
Neilarmius wrote:The Common Enemy
Hint: Blocking elves to across the river." If this is an instruction then I think you mean: "Block the elves coming across the river". Either way this isn't any extra help as the depth of the stream disallows you from doing anything but attacking across/at the bridge. Why is the stream deep when previously it was shallow?
Just a story/game reason (how to kill Jil on the scenario).
There are days of heavy rain before this battle in my set-up. :P (seriously)
Neilarmius wrote:Childhood
Alingwen's lightening attack against the assassin appeared to hit Toffee the royal pony. You may want it a couple of hexes upwards.
:augh: That is bad. It will be fixed on the next edition.
Neilarmius wrote:It seemed odd to me that there were a couple of unicorns on the side of the greenwood elves? One minute the leader of unicorns is stealing swords from them, another day they fight side by side with no explanation.
They are not really there for the Greenwood Elves. They come for elf-girls, especially Alingwen. You have probably known it already, though.
Neilarmius wrote:Because the description of the ponies says that the princesses would be heartbroken I was expecting the death of a pony to apply trait 'heartbroken' (-10% cold and arcane to one of the princesses?? ), but no nothing not even a word from either of them.
Sure. It will be nice.:) Something was supposed to happen if the pony die, actually, as Simons Mith's favor at the part.
Neilarmius wrote:A good level, nice having the clearing for strategic reasons and the challenge of gobo spearmen v horses.
Thank you, and good to hear as it is the last level of part one.:)
Neilarmius wrote:Broken Treaty
Muruatumbië wasn't loyal or have the loyal overlay which he had previously
Oops, you are right. It will be fixed on the next edition.
Thanks.
Neilarmius wrote:Why does Alingwen need a talisman from her mother? She already has a ranged fire lightening attack
Spoiler:
Like you said, she does not really need it herself at the point, but her mother gives her when she die. This matter is supposed to indicate that her mother loves her as much as Eämeral even she is Baldres's daughter while Elvanadíon discriminates her. Sad...:cry:
Neilarmius wrote:I don't think the game automatically recalled the 2 best choices of units from the previous Broken Treaty scenario.
No, it doesn't really. On the scenario, I usually level up two of my favorite trait units, <quick + resilient> male --> fighter, and <dextrous + resilient> --> archer, then Elanglois will be Ranger/Avenger and let him pick up the Crystal Bow.:)
Neilarmius wrote:If you wanted to increase the easiness of this level try adding more crossing points or widening the shallow water. The orcs were sensibly camping on the other side of the bridge creating a serious chokepoint. Is the bridge meant to be broken on the orc side?
Yes. Well, actually, without bridges means to kill some orcs easily although we have to sacrifice a few of Merllow's followers at the point.
Neilarmius wrote:In parts of Britain "Scally", the name of the bandit, is an insulting term for young working class people. You might like to change it.
Uh-Oh! :shock: Really? I had no idea for it. My original her name was supposed to be Scully (from X-file), but I misspelled. Then Simons Mith let it go... But if so, we really should change it (probably for BfW 1.11 because changing a unit name (id) is not a minor change, especially her).
Neilarmius wrote:The wolves ran north immediately into the shroud. I never had to fight them as presumably they killed themselves against the orcs.
The scenario was two teams, instead of three, but there was no relation to be allies between orcs and beasts, so I made it in three teams later. I usually have some battles with wolves there, but it sounds me that I should touch the [ai] for wolves. Thanks.
Neilarmius wrote:Dwarvish Warden
Bring down the base income for the dwarf warden. I like to be able to control the amount of allied troops on the battlefield by either stealing their villages or not. I had stolen them all but they kept recruiting. The scrum around Tuweng the orc at the end was six units deep!
I will decrease Turuk's income -10 on EASY.
Thanks.
Spoiler:
The tunnel was supposed to be just an escaping path, but it doesn't have to be one-way, actually. Okay, it will be a regular tunnel (two-ways) on the next edition.
Neilarmius wrote:Hydra Cavern
If the dwarf had mentioned the chaos rune could only apply to just trolls and drakes when he had first seen it and he was saying his part then that would help. I wasted at about ten turns getting Halwcyn back to the troll's keep just to recruit a drake and then back out the exit in the north. Drakes do not make much sense in the scenario (weak ranged, lawful, slow moving).
This sounds familiar to me... Oh, taptap mentioned the similar thing not in long ago. Okay, I am going to modify the scenario to make players feel easy to recruit a drake or put him at the beginning on the map.
Neilarmius wrote:Loved the bit about the origin of Shoko's name.
:D Thank you.
Spoiler:
Neilarmius wrote:Here is are two options for an overlay for use of the chaos rune. Up to you.
Thank you!
Drakes (sword one) are unable to pick Crystal Bow (but able to pick Flame Sword), so maximum overlays for a drake is two, including yours. If I (or you) move it some pixels to the left, it is possible to install as well, as long as it doesn't disturb the drake image. Let me test it later.:)
Neilarmius wrote:Eisheim
Spoiler:
Yeah, probably, it is better to add how many turns players need to survive on it. I usually recruit only Followers then sacrifice them on the scenario.
Neilarmius wrote:Coalition of Orcs
Falci-Nyess's hall is a simple wooden palisade and encampment. You would expect a lord to have a fancy castle. You might to like to use these snowy drake villages I have edited. I'm halfway through a drake architechture style building similar to the temple Vladnir lives. You could use it for Vladnir and Falci-Ness.
Those villages looks good, too.:)
I have not installed any terrain graphics into my campaigns because it was not necessary. But as long as they make the campaign better, I am happy to install them. So let me test them. Basically, I am not sure what kind of villages Drakes live, though, in BfW.
Neilarmius wrote:Flags
I don't think you are fully understanding me. The particular shades of green in the above flag sprites is altered by the game engine to the correct team color, green,blue purple, whatever. Magenta is used for units. Green for flags. Not sure why. Going to Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.0\images\flags will show you.
Yeah, you are right. I usually don't check any files before "data" in BfW, and I don't play online. So I didn't even know there are flags for each team. They are pretty cool. I now get a bit interested in designing some flags in all my campaigns (of course, you can contribute any. I am happy to use them). Thank you.
Neilarmius wrote:Yes, animation is difficult. If your keen to include it I will give it a go.
Sure! I am keen. You can go ahead to do it, and please spend your time. What we miss in this project is an artist. We have a great coder/translator (mich) and a powerful writer (Simons Mith), but no artist. You can even try to edit some portraits if it's possible.:)
taptap wrote:Dorest / Dorset: While the change is completely clear, the name is Dorset in all other campaigns (other than yours) that use this map. It would be nice if this were streamlined.
So is Greenwood / Green Forest.
If everyone here: http://www.dorsetforyou.com/ and Simons Mith are happy to use Dorset, nothing is going to disturb me to make it back to Dorset. It was originally Dorset, anyway, in this campaign. Otherwise, I keep it as Dorest, and will ask to change it on SotBE.
taptap wrote:Difficulty: It might be too easy on easy I don't know, but please keep in mind the difficulty on hard when reducing the strength of allies, turn limits etc. E.g. in Capturing Dorest enemies have a large base income per turn, and it does take time to approach when the enemies are spawning x new units per turn (I was definitely in the 30s when I finished, if I recall correctly now). Anyway, after Capturing Dorest the first part is basically over, so carryover should be no issue. The steady base income of the allies is one of the good things about this campaign - and least on hard it makes your allies useful while not overwhelming - but maybe {INCOME 60 40 20} just scales badly and 40, 30, 20 or even 30, 25, 20 would do just fine. But don't reduce it on hard, it was hard enough to keep them alive as is (and I had in fact to position units to lure away enemies or to be sacrificed to do it). In other words, if it is too easy on easy, it isn't necessarily too easy on hard, it just scales badly. If you balance on one difficulty it says nothing about the others (the same scenario might be too easy on easy and too hard on hard), so please don't make uniform changes after a comment on one difficulty. Please take a look at the opponents base income on hard for Capturing Dorest to appreciate why 20 turns or 7 base income for the ally will make this ridiculously hard. The same applies for other AI allies, that they had significant base income was sth. I did like very much throughout the campaign - it might be too much on lower difficulties, but it wasn't on hard when I played (though I wonder whether it was really 20 when I played CD).
Not a problem.:) Thank you so much.
taptap wrote:Hydra Cavern: While I never found the rune (and the crystal bow and the dwarf), I wouldn't have had a drake to switch as well (and negative income).
This will be solved as I mentioned above.
taptap wrote: Actually I believe this rune encourages bad play, but I couldn't convince skyone.
I know what you mean as well, and really appreciate your attention.
Spreading the units into a few groups, then exploring the cave (The Pursuit on NR like) is just my favor. Imagine playing the same campaign like 100 times as an obligation. There should be something favor in it to keep it up. If someone can test playing each time I change something, I am happy to design it for his/her favor. Unfortunately, no-one, except myself, does it even I request it on the forum. This campaign is actually designed to play again, though.

To Kanzil:
I appreciate your behavior on the forums, and playing the most of UMC is respectable. Please keep doing. People on the forms are actually watching more than each one thinks.:)

Thanks all.:)
Last edited by Iris on September 22nd, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed malformed bbcode tree destroying the forum layout.
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Skyone wrote:Could you (or anyone) tell me which one is better, the current one or this one
I prefer this one as it is more different from the default one.
Skyone wrote:
Neilarmius wrote:Why does Alingwen need a talisman from her mother? She already has a ranged fire lightening attack
Like you said, she does not really need it herself at the point, but her mother gives her when she die. This matter is supposed to indicate that her mother loves her as much as Eämeral even she is Baldres's daughter while Elvanadíon discriminates her. Sad...:cry:
Oh ok. I didn't see that. It's a good detail of the story.
Neilarmius wrote: Hydra Cavern
Skyone wrote:This sounds familiar to me... Oh, taptap mentioned the similar thing not in long ago. Okay, I am going to modify the scenario to make players feel easy to recruit a drake or put him at the beginning on the map.
I would prefer it if the rune allowed any races alignment to be changed. I wanted a lawful poisoner!
Skyone wrote:I have not installed any terrain graphics into my campaigns because it was not necessary. But as long as they make the campaign better, I am happy to install them. So let me test them. Basically, I am not sure what kind of villages Drakes live, though, in BfW.
Drakes live in these type of villages. The map editor calls them drake villages.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Neilarmius wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Could you (or anyone) tell me which one is better, the current one or this one
I prefer this one as it is more different from the default one.
Thank you.
I will go for it.:)
Neilarmius wrote:
SkyOne wrote:This sounds familiar to me... Oh, taptap mentioned the similar thing not in long ago. Okay, I am going to modify the scenario to make players feel easy to recruit a drake or put him at the beginning on the map.
I would prefer it if the rune allowed any races alignment to be changed. I wanted a lawful poisoner!
It sounds interesting, but finding the reason why it also works for a lizard is a bit harder than one on drakes... Basically, this alignment change of a drake is to make him reliable to battle in a couple of cave scenarios, especially the last one. (I usually let him take the Flame Sword.:) )
Neilarmius wrote:
SkyOne wrote:I have not installed any terrain graphics into my campaigns because it was not necessary. But as long as they make the campaign better, I am happy to install them. So let me test them. Basically, I am not sure what kind of villages Drakes live, though, in BfW.
Drakes live in these type of villages. The map editor calls them drake villages.
You are right. I did not recognize it. Now, editing the maps on BW is probably necessary.

Anyway, I start working to install the drake snow villages on this campaign, however, installing custom terrains is more complicated than I thought. If you have succeeded to install them as well, could you post the code on terrain-graphics.cfg? I put the drake-tile as the symbol_image on terrain.cfg, and it shows on the map editor as a FoaP custom terrain. However, only the regular plain tiles shows on the map when I try. I mean no village-overlay.

Additionally, what terrain code have you been using? The drake village is "Rr^Vd", and "^Vda" is the snowy village on the sand terrain, so I try "^Vdy" because "y" and "z" are reserves for UMC, according to wiki, but I am not sure it is suitable for this case, or not...

Thanks