1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Post by SkyOne »

Hello,

This is the thread of a collaborated single player campaign, Fate of a Princess.
The campaign is two-part with 26-29 scenarios depending on the path chosen. Some scenarios are dialogue-only.

The campaign description from the main file:
Part I: Baldres, a notorious robber baron, flees Wesnoth with his followers and sets off into the northlands to evade the king’s justice. The baron’s deeds and misdeeds are to change the balance of power between orcs and non-orcs throughout the northlands, and will carry consequences long after his eventual death.
Part II: The Greenwood elves face a crisis which demands the return of the queen’s estranged half-elven half-sister, Baldres’ daughter. Two brave young elves must make a perilous journey to find her and bring her back to her former home. If they fail, the whole northlands will be engulfed in war with the resurgent orcs...

Through a story of a half-elven princess, this campaign also tells that humans move from Wesnoth to the Farnorth in the first time ever on the part-one and scenario 22b, The Battle at Prestim, during the Golden Age of Wesnoth (unofficially). The princess actually does not show in the game until the scenario Childhood, which is 10th-12th scenario of the campaign. And the dialogue on this campaign is PG-13, especially on part 1.

Among the Wesnoth timeline,
• 199YW: - this campaign begins
• 200YW: - a number of humans moves to farnorth area (first time ever). Those humans capture an orcish city, called Dorest
• 237YW: - Prestim is taken over by humans with Drakes and Saurians from orcs once
• 238YW: - this campaign ends

• around 350YW: - Orcs become more aggressive
• after that: - Saurians turn to the orc side

--possible to happen:
• around 393YW: - Prestim is taken over by orcs again
• around 409YW: - Queen Eämeral past away
• 416YW: - the humans leave from Dorest (some departs to new places to stay, a few hides in mountains, and the majority rides back to Wesnoth. Those people support Garard to seize the throne of Wesnoth.) - Northern Forces campaign, posted here.
Spoiler:
On BfW 1.11.x & 1.12.x:
- the latest edition; 1.5.0 (updated on Sep, 22nd 2016)
- required BfW version; (1.11.13 - 1.11.16, and) 1.11.18 - 1.12.6

Campaign Design: SkyOne
Co-Design: mich
Co-Author: Simons Mith

====<original post>=====
Spoiler:
thanks
Last edited by SkyOne on October 30th, 2016, 6:38 am, edited 117 times in total.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
docrock

Re: 1.6.x SP campaign, Fate of a Princess

Post by docrock »

hi, already some feedback, eh? hehe, i am doing a heavy BfW weekend and always try to get hands on new campaigns. comments so far (playing on BfW 1.6.4):

-when installing BfW says that the campaign depends on an add-on but it does not state a name, just a blank line
-some units seem to be missing traits compared to their descriptions, Baldres is missing leadership and skirmish, Ishlars is missing heal +4 and regeneration
-i took a look at the code and it does seem very ambitious to me like your are having big plans, i like that
-i also like the story and the overall design
-the general ideas for the new units (i only checked out scenario 1 so far) seem good to me, very interesting

keep it up! sounds like this could become something really good :D

edit: scenario 1 is tough without the special traits, scenario 2 is practically impossible, will replay after a fix :wink:
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

docrock wrote:hi, already some feedback, eh? hehe, i am doing a heavy BfW weekend and always try to get hands on new campaigns. comments so far (playing on BfW 1.6.4):
Thanks for playing and quick feedback, docrock. If you play FoaP, it will be great help because I know that you have played many UMC for long time.:smile:
docrock wrote:when installing BfW says that the campaign depends on an add-on but it does not state a name, just a blank line
Oh, that's not good. I actually republished twice because the first time, the image i-con was not shown, and second time, it was Fate_of_a_Princess, instead of Fate of a Princess. I hope that it is fine now.
docrock wrote:some units seem to be missing traits compared to their descriptions, Baldres is missing leadership and skirmish, Ishlars is missing heal +4 and regeneration, at least they do not show up on the unit display on the right side of the screen
Oh, yes,yes. I forgot removing them on the unit descriptions. Thanks for telling them.:smile: But Baldres's leadership should be shown. I will check it.
docrock wrote:-i took a look at the code and it does seem very ambitious to me like your are having big plans, i like that
-i also like the story and the overall design
-the general ideas for the new units (i only checked out scenario 1 so far) seem good to me, very interesting

keep it up! sounds like this could become something really good
Thanks so much! I am glad to hear them.:smile: Yes. I actually have enjoyed creating Part-1 more than Part-2 because of more freedom to create units. Hopefully, you continue to playing it. On second scenario, players have to recruit many units in my set-up. And keep alive Winona.:wink:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
docrock

Post by docrock »

On second scenario, players have to recruit many units in my set-up
yes, after the first fruitless effort with recalling units i did the massive peasant spam. that worked better, yet the leadership is badly missing so they are not doing enough damage to really get the kills early enough to reduce the amount of cavalry coming at the running part of the crew which can mess them up badly and i'd just like to keep my loyal units alive. maybe i'll try something else this time. of coz, some healing would help too :)
i noticed that about every move in scenario 2 is crucial by one hex and has to be carefully planned. especially if those heavy infantrists decide not to go for the cannon and it's guard but instead help attacking the castle (bad ouch).

edit: just re-downloaded, install error remains, leadership is showing now
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

docrock wrote:i'd just like to keep my loyal units alive.
Yes. They will be important later on to make enemies give damages, and as you know, they possibly become a 'heal+4' units on level=3. I would like to add cannon as a loyal unit though.
docrock wrote:i noticed that about every move in scenario 2 is crucial by one hex and has to be carefully planned.
Yeah! Wesnoth border guards are hard to defeat.:smile: But actually, scenario 2 may be the most difficult scenario in the entire campaign. Could you tell me what difficulty-level you are trying? Should I make it easier?
docrock wrote:if those heavy infantrists decide not to go for the cannon and it's guard but instead help attacking the castle (bad ouch).
When I tested it, I always beat them first, using Ishlars, Jil, and one of loyal units because I have not installed the code to stick on the castle (ai_special=guardian) for them, so I should probably install it. Thanks for reporting it.:smile:
edit: just re-downloaded, install error remains, leadership is showing now
Whew! Glad to hear it. But I am not sure why it was not shown.

P.S. After escaped from Wesnoth, it will be easier. On scenario 3, across the river is wise, and checking very south makes the game more interesting.:wink:
docrock

Post by docrock »

Should I make it easier?
i just replayed scenarios 1 and 2 from the beginning, with leadership everything is ok the way it is, in scenario 2 i even managed to kill both leaders by turn 10 and finish the same turn, i am playing on default difficulty (thinking that most people will go with the default normally)
checking very south makes the game more interesting
hehe, i am one of those map-explorer-dudes anyways, always try to uncover everything
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

docrock wrote:i just replayed scenarios 1 and 2 from the beginning, with leadership everything is ok the way it is, in scenario 2
Thanks a lot.:smile: Yes. Because of scenario 2, to get at least one or two spearman from scenario 1 is needed, and hopefully, level=2 loyal units also.
docrock wrote: in scenario 2 i even managed to kill both leaders by turn 10 and finish the same turn, i am playing on default difficulty (thinking that most people will go with the default normally)
It is great! Defeating the side=2 leader is an option on the scenario. Now, after the scenario, the game may be too easy for you.
SkyOne wrote:checking very south makes the game more interesting
docrock wrote:hehe, i am one of those map-explorer-dudes anyways, always try to uncover everything
I appreciate it.:smile: Probably, the hard-difficulty is better for you, I think. This campaign is not expert level. (I do not mean to retry it. Just respecting your skill.:smile:)
docrock

Post by docrock »

to get at least one or two spearman from scenario 1 is needed
lol, i got none, but almost all loyals to lvl2
Now, after the scenario, the game may be too easy for you
ahhhhm, i am currently struggling with scenario 3 and i can tell, it is not too easy. i just wonder why dwarves and elfes don't fight each other but instead prefer to coordinatedly attack my side, humm. i'd say the level so far in this campaign is at least intermediate, i only did so good this time because i knew what was coming at me already. especially the lack of villages in scenario 3 is challenging. :D

edit: been through part 1 now, really good work, though the word "easy" does surely not apply, every scenario (except the final one, that is easy) has it's own difficulties to battle with, well, i bet my money on the rogue mages instead of levelling lvl0s to something useful which turned out to be especially good against them elves. so far no glitches or things i could complain about, no more errors and gameplay is pressing at times, which is good. it gets a bit more controllable though as soon as you got some cavalrymen levelled up and as you stated, the paladins also help a lot.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

SkyOne wrote:to get at least one or two spearman from scenario 1 is needed
docrock wrote:lol, i got none, but almost all loyals to lvl2
It is even better.:smile:
docrock wrote:i'd say the level so far in this campaign is at least intermediate
This is good! That is the way the campaign suppose to be in my plan.:smile:
docrock wrote:especially the lack of villages in scenario 3 is challenging
Yes. This one have made me thinkable. If according to the geography, the villages should not be a lot, or possibly zero, but this is a game, so I should probably add a few more on next version, shouldn't I?
docrock wrote:except the final one, that is easy
Yes! I had better make the scenario 5 (sixth) a little more difficult at least until turn 8 to follow the story.
docrock wrote:i bet my money on the rogue mages instead of levelling lvl0s to something useful which turned out to be especially good against them elves.
Those guys are very useful in the Part-1, yes, and they are not used in many UMC.
docrock wrote:so far no glitches or things i could complain about, no more errors and gameplay is pressing at times, which is good. it gets a bit more controllable though as soon as you got some cavalrymen levelled up and as you stated, the paladins also help a lot.
I am happy to hear it.:smile: Error free is the most important at this time. Thanks for playing, docrock. On the next version, some points that you mentioned will be fixed, and I hope to add some animations for jil unit. (it is a little hard for me so far.)

I really appreciate for quick feedback.:smile: If you are able to continue to play in the Part-2, it will be more appreciation. I think that you can finish them up in two days if you have a time, like today.
alextit

Post by alextit »

cool I am going to try
and I say to you how I find

otherwise you is of that it country?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
docrock

Post by docrock »

so I should probably add a few more on next version, shouldn't I
don't think so, it's challenging, yes, but as soon as you get Ishlars whateverhisname to lvl3 you got a healer anyways which is not a big problem if you use him to guard the southern bridge and kill-off dwarfes galore
Those guys are very useful in the Part-1, yes, and they are not used in many UMC.
the lvl2 shadow mage just ownz.
If you are able to continue to play in the Part-2
at it currently. what's better after a long day of network and security consulting than taking a drink, listening to hendrix and playing a decent BfW campaign? nothing.

btw, you just seem to like lvl0 units and one hex wide river crossings, don't you? :lol2:

edit: well, so far every scenario was well balanced and thought out and i really like the mad rush in "In the swamps" ... but ... the change of objectives is kind of tomatoeish. especially considering the fact the the enemy ai of the main leader (not the mage) is piling up forces near his castle instead of sending them into the swamps, which at this point makes it impossible to win due to an orc-wall facing you. suggestions:
-give the player a hint that there is more to come, like "kill the orc mage to find out what is wrong with the orcs" or that like in the first objectives
-give the saurians a bit more base income, as it is, they are dead meat (oooh, saurian-leather-shoes, how much did they cost?)
-reduce the base income of the main orc leader a bit and make his units more aggressive, piling up units spoils it in the end
-increase number of turns after changing objectives
-change the map so that there is a way to the enemy castle without swamp (even if it is one hex wide)

just to explain, at this point i already had two assasins and a fair share of lvl2 and lvl3 units, still no chance. while on the other hand, there is nothing more satisfactory than poisoned berserkers, lol. of coz you might take any or none of the above suggestions in any more or less random combination, your choice :wink:
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

alextit wrote:cool I am going to try
and I say to you how I find
Sure! It will be very welcome.:smile:But if you are at mid-teenager or younger, just enjoy playing the game then say something, not too much care about dialogs, please.
docrock wrote: taking a drink, listening to hendrix and playing a decent BfW campaign
Oh, man! That's sound really enjoyable.:smile: and thanks.
docrock wrote:you just seem to like lvl0 units and one hex wide river crossings, don't you?
Oh, that is true. It came up naturally though. Anyway, was that okay on scenario 8? I planed to be recruited l0l Cilvian which advances to Fencer/Thief, instead of recruiting Thief at the scenario, but they are going to be all male unit if I do it on my knowledge so far. (I think that dividing male and female are possible.) In my set-up, there should be some female units for the later scenario, 18b, although Scally is female.
You think that recruiting both level l0l unit (Cilvian and Woodsman) is better on that scenario?
docrock wrote:the change of objectives is kind of tomatoeish. especially considering the fact the the enemy ai of the main leader (not the mage) is piling up forces near his castle instead of sending them into the swamps, which at this point makes it impossible to win due to an orc-wall facing you. suggestions:
-give the player a hint that there is more to come, like "kill the orc mage to find out what is wrong with the orcs" or that like in the first objectives
-give the saurians a bit more base income, as it is, they are dead meat (oooh, saurian-leather-shoes, how much did they cost?)
-reduce the base income of the main orc leader a bit and make his units more aggressive, piling up units spoils it in the end
-increase number of turns after changing objectives
-change the map so that there is a way to the enemy castle without swamp (even if it is one hex wide)
Thanks for suggestions. The part is one of the points should improve in the entire campaign. My co-designer, mich, also have mentioned it. Because I know the theory, I always go to defeat orc-mage first when I tested it. (actually, it is not really called a "test", just a play.:smile:)

From your suggestion, I (we) will change at least something to get the scenario better. Thanks so much.
there is nothing more satisfactory than poisoned berserkers
Haha, it is..:smile:

Edit: On scenario 10, making one or two skirmishers to level=2 will be helpful for scenario 13 (cave) because scenario 11 is just speaking, and 12 is on snow map.
Huston

Post by Huston »

you do realize that all you need to do to port it to 1.7 is change all the paths that start off:
{@campaigns/Fate_of_a_Princess
or
{~campaigns/Fate_of_a_Princess

is change "campaigns" to "add-ons"

then put it in 1.7's add-ons folder and upload it right?
doing this will also save you time when 1.8 comes out (i have no idea when this will happen) because you won't need to change any paths
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Huston wrote:you do realize that all you need to do to port it to 1.7 is change all the paths that start off:
{@campaigns/Fate_of_a_Princess
or
{~campaigns/Fate_of_a_Princess

is change "campaigns" to "add-ons"

then put it in 1.7's add-ons folder and upload it right?
doing this will also save you time when 1.8 comes out (i have no idea when this will happen) because you won't need to change any paths
Thanks for informations. It is too early for us, but yes, we will upload it on one day. I guess 1.8 will be later on this year or possibly early next year.

By the way, the image of Rogue Knight is a mistake. This is not perfect, yet, but better than the previous one. I plan to add at least the defense and lance-attack animations, but the horse-hip is hard to imagine so far. (she should not have the lance and the morning-star on the same hand.)

thanks
Attachments
rogue-rider.png
rogue-rider.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 25868 times
Huston

Post by Huston »

started playing through it(on 1.7, but that don't mean anything right now)

Just an FYI Wescamp won't work for your campaign unless it is encoded in UTF-8
right now there are characters not supported by the game engine(non UTF -8 special characters more than likely. ewhat evr the case remove them. otherwise your campaign is going to be untranslateable and it is really wierd seeing a random outline of a square in the dialog you are reading. :P

EDIT: even punctuation should be redone. have fun.

as for balancing the first scenario. try cutting the gold for the Easy difficulty setting by about 50 or 100 gold. i easily outstripped the AI's army with my units.

lowering it would go a long way in balancing out the two side's armies.